Forzen

Reaction score
"Hello Dad, is everything alright?

Is it true?

Calm down dad, you know we always need to make small talk, like hello how are you, fine and you? I am fine too. Then we can start…”

He cut me off. “ Is it true what they say in the internet? Did you actually do that?

People write all sorts of things dad, what exactly are you talking about?” He knew I was hiding something, my tone gave it away but he knew it was my job.

“I hope you thought long and hard about this, he is not anybody. And if you did what I think you did, you will regret it… Everything was on track and you decide to do that…” He hung up.

Maybe it was too hasty, maybe I will regret it, but nobody knows what the future holds.

One year back

GOAAAAAAAAAL!

Haha I told you Dortmund was a broken team, give the ball to Reus and he lofts the ball to Aubameyang. Press the spring button and Chiellini and Ogbonna are left eating dust.

Yeah yeah, it’s 1-2 with 15min to go, anything can happen. I will show you the magic of Pogba or Marchisio. Now keep your head in the game, otherwise you will blame the controller.

I lost again, why can’t I beat him on playstation… I played on a real pitch in front of thousands, I know the pressure of cup ties… Yet every time I come to his house in the south of France, he hands me a beating that he reminds me at the dinner table and every time I call him. I wish I knew my dad’s secret, at least it’s nice to see him smiling with mother’s recent passing.

“Oh look at the time: 9pm, there must be a big game on today: OL/Saint-Etienne. We haven’t lost since 2011 to them, and by everything that is holy it won’t happen now!” said my dad.

“We”, my father liked using that term. He left England to retire in France back in 2002 and started watching French football. When you are new to a nation’s league, you pick the team that gets the most coverage it was Lyon or Monaco, he went for the Champions.

That day Lyon lost 2-1, Lacazette’s goal was not enough to ensure victory. My dad was cursing in the living room whilst I was booking my train ticket back to England. My job as a scout could not be put on hold any longer, even for the death of my mother work will not let me rest.

“Oh come on, you cannot leave now. Lyon will play Juventus on Thursday, stay and watch it with me.”

“Let me see what I can do, but no guarantees”. I had a little excuse on my mind to justify the extension.

“Hi Steve, I know it’s a bit late but I have something I would like to ask you. As you know I am currently in France with my father and I should come back tomorrow, but I would like to extend my stay by a few days. Before you say anything I know how I can work from here, Thursday there is a game at the Stade Gerland, Europa League. It would be the perfect opportunity to scout: Lacazette, Pogba, Marchisio, Bonucci and Umtiti”

No reply from him yet, but I could hear his breathing.

“Detailed report yes, weakness and strength and keeping an eye on their movements off the ball got it. Thank you Steve.”
I know it was a long shot, Jose had his mind on which team he wanted to field next year, so suggesting my help to scout future targets was probably not going to grant me a leave extension but it was worth a shot. And it actually worked.

As we arrived on Thursday at the Stade Gerland with my father everything was going great. The fans were cheering and my dad wore his “lucky” OL scarf. He bought it for the Ligue 1 start back in 2002, before it was Division 1, and that year OL won by 1 point. 1 point was enough to secure the title, the second in a row.

As we approached the gates with our tickets something happened. The lovely girl checked them and told us to wait a minute. She came back accompanied by a big ape, you know the kind of guy who would make you swallow your gum or even hand over your girl whilst you run away. He was big.

“ Ar yu James, ze Chelsea Skout?” he said with a heavy French accent
“Yes, it is me”
“Peliz follo mi”

My father and I followed him, he brought us to the presidential tribune and presented us to: Bernard Lacombe, a Lyon legend who played for their greatest rival too, it’s a funny story but for another time, and another man Jean-Michel Aulas. Now this man loves the club, invested in it since 1987 and his plan was to make Lyon one of the greatest clubs in France with a mark in Europe. On the other side of the room Mr.Agnelli, who is two years older than me but already at the head of a big European club. Friendly greetings and champagne, small talks between both presidents. I already had goose bumps before the whistle and the anthem, the crowd was roaring. As the whistle blew the start of the game, my dad was chanting wildly for Lyon, I couldn’t tell him that I supported Juventus. My mother is or was Italian, and she told me true football was played there, needless to say it was an endless debate in the house.

On the field both teams were led by a man that played for the club: Remi and Antonio. A great dual it was, the final score was 1-0 Juventus, Bonucci scored close to the end of the second half. The first leg was done. As we were departing Agnelli approached me and gave me his business card, “ maybe you can come scout in a more historical club” he said with a smile. We left shortly after, my dad was begging Mr. Lacombe for an autograph, and it was a bit embarrassing.

The next day I returned to London.

Agnelli’s offer was a challenging one… One month already and I am still playing around with his business card… Call him or not to call him, I am comfortable with Chelsea, yet Italy and Juventus is not something one should refuse. But what if I cannot adapt in my mother’s homeland, I have never been there other than to visit Rome with them as a kid. Sure I love to eat pasta, but could I actually order some alone?

Every day that business card looks at me and I look at it. I left it on my desk in order to motivate me? Why did I even do that…
I was deep in my thoughts but something startled me, a buzzing sound. Oh it’s my phone.

“Hello?”
“You wish to meet me? Sure, but I do not know how I can help you. We know how important your youth set up is, and I prefer scouting established players. Nothing against young boys but experience is what I prefer.” I realized how wrong that could sound to someone passing by, but I did not mind. This conversation was interesting.
“Did I ever coach? Yeah a few sessions of the U21s and attend when I can the first team trainings. How do I feel doing it full time?”

This call was weird, it was half an interview but the caller sounded confident that I was his choice. The call lasted for around 30min, and in the end my decision was to take the leap. From a scout to a full time Manager. I know I am an unknown and this is a big step up, but when an opportunity comes why refuse it.

Great back storry mate, ill be keeping an eye on this

Great back storry mate, ill be keeping an eye on this

Thanks for the support. I was inspired by Enrico Pucci's story and decided to take a shot at it.

I will post later on with screenshots to anyone wondering.

If improvements can be made feel free to share.