From Disgrace to Glory: The story of a Rangers Manager in the Scotland Hotseat

Healey

Reaction score
My alarm sounds and the bitterness inside me begins to swell again as I wake. Another morning of press speculation. What does the future hold now for the disgraced Scotland U21's Manager? Sure, I still have my job at Rangers, a position most boys would kill for growing up in a small Ayrshire town, but being involved at international level always gave me a sense of pride. I'd had a falling out with the first team manager, Walter Smith. A hero of mine as a boy, i reflect now on storming out of the office leaving him and Gordon Smith behind, my resignation letter left sitting on the dark mahogany desk in the SFA headquarters with a sense of regret. The argument centered around him calling up the older lads in my squad for his team: team captain Danny wilson; and top goalscorers John Fleck and Leigh Griffiths among others. This coupled with a few of my players going past the U21 age limit had left me with a shadow of the team that had left me undefeated in the U21 World Cup Qualifying campaign. I was obviously delighted for the boys to get a call up, but they were just warming the subs bench and their time could have been much better spent gaining valuable internation level experience at U21 level - some of the boys called up had never even played outside of the SPL. My position had been left untenable.

I sit at the breakfast bar watching the morning reports on Sky Sports News with a cup of coffee in my hand. My form at Rangers has been a bit poor as of late, as if the players can sense that i've become a bit disilusioned with football. I wondered if this would be the leading story.

"Good Morning, This is Sky Sports News. Here are today's top stories..."

The sense of dread churned in my stomach. What will they report about me today? That I'm getting the sack at Rangers? That I'm sleeping about on my Mrs?

"...And now onto to the Scotland setup..."

Here it comes.

"...Where former Scotland U21 boss Derek Healey has been linked as a surprise candidate to the vacant post as international manager after the much anticipated retirement of Rangers legend Walter Smith. Stories have been circling in the press as to Smith's successor after his resignation last night with Paul Lambert being touted as the bookies favourite this morning, but our sources have revealed that Walter Smith has spoken directly to Gordon Smith and recommended the fiery Rangers Manager as having the passion to take the squad forward in the World Cup Qualifying campaign. We'll have updates as they happen, but one thing remains certain: there will be plenty of debate as to whether or not Healey would be able to juggle the pressures of club and country. It looks like we could be in line to find out..."

My cup hovered a few inches from my mouth, where it had been throughout the duration of the report. Me? Walter recommended me?! I tried to tell myself to remain calm, it's just press speculation but just then my mobile begins to vibrate across the table. I hesitate and then answer it with a mixture of trepadation, fear and pure adrenaline.

"Hello?"

"Hello Derek, Gordon Smith here. Have you got a moment?"

... 8-|

Last edited:
Derek Healey has been named the new Scotland coach.

Current Rangers boss Healey has signed a contract until 2015 and succeeds Walter Smith who retired earlier this month as international manager.
Healey, who has been an undoubted success at club and U21 international level, said he felt "proud" to become Scotland boss. SFA chief executive Gordon Smith said: "We have moved quickly to fill the vacancy caused by the unexpected departure of Walter Smith."

Healey has moved to appoint his assistant at Rangers, All McCoist as his second in command along with Lee McCulloch, David Weir, Barry Ferguson and Rab Douglas who will take up coaching roles.
Healey has said thrilled would be an understatement, and he revealed that the lure of becoming Scotland manager was "too hard to resist".

"To be manager of your home nation is a very proud day indeed for myself, my family and friends," he said.
"I would love to have as smooth a transition as possible, and continue the good work that Walter Smith has done.
"Walter has raised hopes of the nation fantastically well and we hope to continue that trend." Smith said the SFA hoped Healey could lead the team to success.

"It's a particular pleasure to announce the appointment of a former Scotland player to the position of national coach," said Smith.

"I am sure all of Scotland will get behind Derek in support of the national side as we try to build on the improved performances of recent times."

Taylor said the last couple of weeks had been traumatic, but added that he hoped Healey could continue Scotland's recent good form.

"We believe that in Derek we have found a man to carry on the good work we have already started in our qualifying campaign, and to continue to improve the Scotland team under his leadership over the next couple of years," Smith added.

With a world cup group that involves Italy and several other big hitters, it reamins to be seen if Healey will handle the pressure and deliver the results everyone is expecting of him. The turmoil over the last few weeks certainly add a tasty flavour to this appointment. The nation expects, Mr Healey. Let's be having you.

(Taken from BBC News - Not very impressed with the quality of the article.)

[COLOR=#00e0]---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------[/COLOR]

Healey announces call ups for U21 players.

New Scotland gaffer Derek Healey has made a controversial move in calling up several players from the U21 set-up - The exact reason for the bust up that lead to his resignation as U21 manager.

John Fleck, Danny Wilson, Leigh Griffiths, David Gray, Davie Wallace, Alan McLeod, Steven Cairney, Darren Seigel and Steven Duncan have all been called up to train with the Scotland squad.

"I'm not sure whether they'll get an immediate start in the first team set up, we have alot of big players here. I've brought them in because I want to have a look at them when theyre mixed with established stars. I know these guys from U21 level and I wouldn't call them up if I didn't think they have what it takes. I want playeres to understand that a place in my team isn't garaunteed. I think i made that clear by dropping Graham Dorrans and James Morrison. Theyre probably two of our biggest 'names' but they just haven't been cutting it on the pitch."

This direct honesty with the fans and players alike is a breath of fresh air in the Scotland camp but its yet to be seen how the players will take to it.

Rumours are circulating that Healey has been looking at Marc Crosas, a Catalan born former Barcelona midfielder, now plying his trade with Celtic. Healey's problems with Celtic Manager Neil Lennon could provide a potential stumbling block, however, with Shaun Maloney already having been withdrawn.

Healey has also been toying with the idea of offering a call-up to Alphone Areola and Marco Verratti, two of his Rangers stars who are yet to be capped by their home nations and are on the edge of be able to apply for British Citizenship.

He went public with this announcement as he is said to want the fans feedback on this idea, not looking to creating an identity crisis for the national team.

Post your opinions below. First results to follow. 8-|

Last edited:
if you can get Verratti to play for Scotland then that would be simply AMAZING :D

Yeah he was one of my top players last year and won SPL young player of the year. Do you reckon thats right though? I mean he's really not in any way Scottish and I would be playing him on a technicality. Same goes for Areola. Bought him from PSG when he was 16. Should be able to offer him a call up and he's a top quality goalkeeper. My joint first choice with Matej Delac but I'm not sure I like the principle of it. But i agree. He would be the best player to pull on a Scotland shirt in years lol. 8-|

I really likes this so il follow :D. One question what year are you in cause i am slightly confused

I really likes this so il follow :D. One question what year are you in cause i am slightly confused

I'm in year 2014 now. Just started on the World Cup. My story is actually a little bit behind so i'm going to skip forward to where i am now. Do you really care about the friendlies anyway? :p So basicly I qualified 1st in my group after beating Italy 1-0 (John Fleck)and Belarus 4-1 (John Fleck x2, Alan McLeod, David Wilson). Cheers for the support. 8-|

[COLOR=#00e0]---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------[/COLOR]

As the draw was made, i sat nervously wrapping my knuckles on the desk, perched forward, my back arched and on the edge of my seat. "Ally I canne take this, mate. The suspense is killing me".
"Don't worry about it gaffer. What's the worst we can get, eh? As long as it's not England." We both laugh for a moment. Knowing my luck thats what we'll get.

As the final pick is made I'm left speechless. I look at Ally and he looks back at me. Neither of us says a word. The silence is deafening."Brazil?", Still Ally says nothing. "****** Brazil?! We're in big trouble Ally, big big trouble." The rest of the group all look like they can play a bit too, this could end up as an embaressment. Maybe we would've been better to just get knocked out in the qualifiers. I can't help but think we're maybe a bit out of our depths here.

NO. I can't think like that. I'm the guy who lead Rangers to Champion's League Final. This is my bread and butter. If i can do it for my club, I can do it for my country. I stand up from my desk. It's time to tell the players. I take a deep breath and walk towards the door. Ally follows and as we leave he slaps me on the back. "Awkt well boss. At least it's no England."

The Group
Brazil
Mexico
Scotland
South Korea

[COLOR=#00e0]---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------[/COLOR]

Healey announces World Cup Squad

Derek Healey has today announced his 23 man squad for the World Cup campaign. Much speculation has been heard about whether or not James McFadden - rumoured to be suffering with fitness problems after some lacklustre performances at club - would feature in the squad. Other talking point have been whether Alphonse Areola and Marco Verratti would gain British Citizenship in time and whether they would accept a call-up and also if the long standing personal problems between Healey and Celtic Manager Neil Lennon would restrict Healey's squad picks.

So here is the squad in full:

Goalkeepers

Alan McGregor - the former Rangers goalkeeper has not played many league games since joining Premier League outfit Aston Villa, but Healey is familiar with him and trusts his ability to play in big games. Expect him to be No. 1
Craig Gordon - A capable 'keeper and undisputed first choice during Smith's reign. Wouldn't be surprised if he takes over as first choice either. He's not as familiar with Healey and the manager doesn't seem as confident in his abilities so he might need to do some convincing.
Lewis Thomson - The Rangers U19 goalkeeper was signed from Man Utd on a free transfer and is already being tipped for big things. He's currently on loan and Nottingham Forrest and has already made a name for himself with some impressive performance filling in for the first choice keeper. Unlikely to make an appearance but what and experience for the lad. One to watch in years to come.

Defenders

Steven Cairney - Product of the Rangers youth acadamy and one of the lads Healey used to such great effect during his tenure as U21 boss. I doubt he'll play too much unless Whittaker picks up an injury but then again no one knows too much about this lad, other than he is most confident in a wing back role.
Steven Whittaker - Should be a started giving that Alan Hutton wasn't called up. He's been incredible for Rangers over the last few seasons and has been attracting constant interest from Premiership clubs.
Steven Smith - Has been attracting pretty hefty transfer fees but perhaps hasn't lived up to them as much as i'm sure he would have liked to. I doubt we'll see much from him. Wallace will be favourite to start and Reynolds and Danny Wilson can slot into that position if theyre needed. Possibly a panicky inclusion after finding out Verratti and McFadden weren't available.
Mark Reynolds - Has been outstanding since moving from Motherwell. With Healey rumoured to be very interested in bringing him to Rangers its no surprise he's made the squad. Appearances could depend on Chris Berra's and his own form.
Christophe Berra - As above.
Lee Wallace - Healey had several bids for Wallace rejected before he opted for a big money move abroad. He looks quality and I reckon he'll be first choice for the left back position. Could be a key player running up that wing.
Steven Duncan - A surprise inclusion perhaps, but the young centre back has been outstanding since being promoted from the Rangers youth academy. Several lower Premiership clubs have been rumoured to be sniffing around him and he was a frequent starter at U21 level. Probably included due to his strong partnership with Danny Wilson.
Danny Wilson - Sure to be a key player for Scotland. U21 captain during Healey's reign and absolute rock at the heart of the Ranger's defence all season. It will be interesting to see how he links up with an unfamiliar defensive partner.

Midfield

Scott Brown - Most likely to be played in central midfield as a player who can go forward and create. Has only been seen on the right wing for Scotland during a few friendlies - if he is playing in the role he's likely to be kept out by a somewhat rampant Alan McLeod whos been tearing oppositions apart.
Kevin Thomson - Has just signed on a bosman for Tottenham after rejecting a new contract from Rangers. He hasn't played much for Healey at club level but has the ability to add a little bit of control to the engine room if need be. Interesting that he should be called up after having his differences with Healey at Rangers - Good to see the Rangers boss keeping his interests seperate. Current vice-captain.
Darren Fletcher - Scotland captain and absolutely essential if Scotland are to do well.
Darren Seigel - Another young call up from U21 level and had a few good run outs with the Manchester United first team this season. Think young Darren Fletcher. Could make and impact.
Alan McLeod - Now this guy is an absolute firecracker. Healey's second most expensive transfer at £4.2m from Dundee. Looking incredible at U21 level and was tearing teams apart in the SPL prior to the arrival of Vladimir Weiss on loan. Hasn't played too many competitive games this season against big teams but got a run in the team towards the end of the season so should be fit. He's been criticised for his lack of control on the ball but when he does keep it, he does amazing things with it. Keep an eye on this boy.
Davie Wallace - Complements McLeod very well and if Healey goes for playing two wingers its likely he'll get the nod. The Dundee Utd youth could do big things if he handles the pressure on the big stage - he certainly did at U21 level.
Tom Cairney - Another young former U21 star. This lad is making a name for himself and scored a screamer on his internation debut. He could be used on the left wing but prefer a central role.
Scott Robertson - A surprise call up given his recent poor performances at club and international level. He obviously has quality and is a bit more experienced than the majority of the midfield. A level head could see him landing a few spots in the starting 11 impresses in training. Lets hope he can put his horror performance againt Georgia behind him. He surely can't miss anymore sitters?

Attackers

John Fleck - He's really the one to watch. He's struggled to get as many starts as he probably deserves at Rangers with Adebayor and Milevskiy keeping him on the subs bench. He scored some good goals in qualification including that screamer against Italy. Probably the best player in the squad.
Leigh Griffiths - A funny one actually. Healey signed him from Dundee due to his finishing ability and when he first came in to the Rangers set-up he looked like a revelation. 10 goals in 8 games and forming an incredible partnership with Fleck at U21 level. Has the potential to be an absolute gun but hasn't impressed this season, nor in a Scotland shirt. Lets hope he can grab a few.
Kris Boyd - He scored a power of goals this season for Birmingham in the Championship and commanded a transfer fee of £7m to get him there. Yet he hasn't really impressed or featured in the Scotland set-up as of late. You know what? I reckon Healey would rather have McFadden, right now.
Steven Fletcher - A recent big money move to Fulham just solidifies this guys status as a top player. He's really impressed in a team thats reached European qualification two times in a row. Not really seen him banging them in for the Tartan Army though, so he really has something to prove.

So who wont be going on the Plane?

Marc Crosas - Lets be honest. He's not Scottish. Personally I'm glad as it means a real Scot can get a shot at it. Constant problems with Neil Lennon and some no-better-than-decent performances has led to him being dropped. I doubt he'll be missed too much.
James McFadden - Just hasn't been in any kind of form that would validate his call up. He looks unfit, tired, and unmotivated. The argument would have been whether you call up him or Dorrans really. I think if anyone picks up a knock he could be the man to call up, though. If only incase we end up playing France.
James Morrison - His performances in a Scotland shirt as of late don't even warrant a reason for his exclusion. Good choice from Healey.
Graham Dorrans - See above.
Alan Hutton - I was genuinely surprised by this. If Scotland do well - Good choice in bleeding in new talent. If they do badly - This could haunt Healey. Whittaker's there anyway. I doubt this will make too much difference.
Alphonse Areola & Marco Verratti - After all that speculation they missed the cut off by just a few days. Given that theyre hardly from Govan or Clydebank, this will save Healey the difficult decision over whether to offer them a call-up or not, especially since the World Cup isn't a great place to earn your first cap. Wouldn't it have been lovely though?

So thats your lot folks. A young team for sure. I doubt theyre going to be parading the trophy round our way any time soon. But could the inclusion of younger players be a good thing? Post your opinions on the selection below.

Last edited:
Love the writing style. Cant wait for the world cup. This is one of the good international stories and i will enjoy reading. My Scotland story is done, this ones better tho!:)

nice read so far mate and loving the ayrshire town remark in the opening as i'm a good old ayrshire boy myself

Very good start to the story mate, very interesting and I'll be following, what have you won so far as Rangers manager

WATP

Very good start to the story mate, very interesting and I'll be following, what have you won so far as Rangers manager

WATP

Its been a frustrating one actually.

I've won 4 league titles, 3 Scottish cups, 2 league cups, reached the final of the european cup, reached the finals of the champions cup twice but still no european glory, I'm afraid. I'm having a bit of a clear out this season though so i'm hoping a few of the bit part players are really going to come into their own and try and push for a win this time. I got absolutely out classed last season against Barcelona.

Scotland v Mexico

- Hi there folks and welcome to live text. There's been alot of build up to this game so it'll be interesting to see how Scotland deal with the pressure. Here's how they line up:
Scotland - McGregor, L.Wallace, Wilson, Berra, Whittaker, D.Fletcher, Siegel, Wallace, MacLeod, Fleck, Fletcher.
Mexico - Ochoa, Garcia, Pinto, Maza Rodriguez, Salcido, Garcia, Pineda, Juarez, Guardado, dos Santos, Vela, Kikin Fonseca.
- (10 mins) A confident performance from Scotland in the first ten minutes. Two big opportunities and nearly two goals. This is what we like to see.
- (17 mins) Scotland again with all the pressure. But for the ref's whistle we could have been celebrating our first goal. That was never a foul from Steven Fletcher. Can Mexico weather the storm?
- (19 mins) GOAL!! Whittaker, who seems to be carrying a knock, plays a lovely ball through to Berra who sends it into the back of the net with an absolute screamer of a goal.
- (32 mins) Ochoa looks on it today. More top saves.
- (43 mins) 2 minutes of injury time.
- (45mins) Berra sent off for a tackle that may well have just saved Scotland's lead. Hate to see that but i bet his manager will be happy with him (even if he doesnt admit it)
-(47 mins) HALF TIME

- Substitutions from both sides here. Scotland swapWhittaker, Wallace and Steven Fletcher for Reynolds, Tom Cairney ans Steven Cairney. Mexico take off Garcia and Maza Rodriguez to be replaced with Rivas and Paheco.

- (54 mins) Fleck through!! Incredible save from Ochoa! Disappointment for Scotland.
- (57 mins) Nava on for Kikin Fonseca
- (63 mins) Shocking miss for Pineda! He really should have scored that.
- (72 mins) Navas!...Good save from McGregor.
- (84 mins) Lee Wallace with a lovely floating ball into the area but no one can quite get on the end of it and its cleared away.
- (89 mins) A few yellow cards being brought out as the players starting to look frustrated. 3 mins of added time.
- (93 mins) FULL TIME

Scotland 1 - 0 South Korea

Scotland fans won't be able to believe their luck after two massive victories in the World Cup group stages. A classy performance against Mexico in their opening game and a slightly more fortuitous win over South Korea last night means that anything better than a loss against Brazil in their last game will secure qualification to the first knockout round.

Fleck send pubs all around Scotland into the raptures with an incredible goal in the 37th minute. South Korea would have needed to goalkeepers just to get anywhere near it. South Korea dominated most of the game but when the final whistle blew, it was the Tartan side of the crowd that were left celebrating.

Fans will also be pleased that Mark Reynolds - coming in for the suspended Christoph Berra managed to put in a pretty solid performance, whilst Leigh Griffiths, brought in to replace Steven Fletcher had by no means a bad game.

With a full squad avaliable for the Brazil game, the whole country and several neutrals will be looking to Healey to perform a miracle against the Samba superstars. Can he do it? We'll soon find out.

What on earth was that?!

It's not very often a sports writer that youre left for without words after a game of fooball. Last night however, Scotland brought with them the kind of madness that could only normally be seen on a saturday night on Sauchiehall Street. Derek Healey has so far congratulated by pundits all over the world for bringing an attacking style to Scotland that has worked - a style that has seen him defeated in only one of his outings as Scotland Manager. Last night he abondoned that style. The fiery manager, also in charge of Rangers seemed to have lost the plot in an almost Capello-esque fashion when he fielded his most defensive eleven. Okay so you may be thinking 'Playing against samba kings Brazil? That's what we need.' and fair play to you for doing so. But Healey failed to pick even one striker in his team, even leaving out John Fleck who has been outstanding during the qualifiers and bagged the goal against Mexico.

The weirdest thing of all though? It worked. Rafael Toloi opened up the scoring for the home nation and Scotland who had obviously went out to park the bus instantly looked shakey. Their tactic depended on them NOT conceeding a goal. Then Kevin Thomson got sent off and Brazil looked to be going all out for the kill. Was it all over for our normally brave Scots? No. No, incredibly it wasn't.

Out of nowhere, Scotland, devoid of even an attacking midfielder suddenly stumbled out of the blocks and started fighting back. Like a child in the playground aimlessly swinging his fists at the biggest bully with his eyes closed, we suddenly had several big chances and looked like we could actually put one away.

Stevie Whittaker popped up out of nowhere on the 72nd minute with an incredible cross which met with the head of Stevie Smith. Now lets be fair, Stevie Smith, a goal-scorer he is not, yet somehow he managed to send the ball into the back of the net in magnificent fashion.

Were we really going to make it through the group stage? The urine soaked underwear of fans all across scotland barely made it to the 90th minute but as that final whistle blew a feeling swept over everyone that this was probably one of the big moments in Scottish football.

Italy up next? We beat them before in qualifying. I bet our boys out there in Brazil fancy it.

Last edited:
Absolutely fantastic! Great way to write it and I like the layout too, you should show off your Rangers team - not sure if you already have though somewhere else :p

Absolutely fantastic! Great way to write it and I like the layout too, you should show off your Rangers team - not sure if you already have though somewhere else :p

I was thinking about doing that mate, but i'm about five seasons in. I'm going to stick it out with Rangers and try and get them a European trophy and then hopefully I'll get offered the Chelsea job at some point. When I do I'll start a new one for that. 8-|

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:18 PM ----------

Pizza Crunch Time For Scotland

A great footballing nation, draped in past glories hunting for revenge after their 1-0 defeat in qualifying. In previous years, we wouldn't even have shown up to an occassion like this. But with a marvellous run of results up to this point, Scotland stepped onto the park in Rio de Janeiro last night looking quietly confident that they might just do something. Materazzi and Zidane might not have been on the pitch but there was a few moments where frustration seemed like it might just boil over and someone might end up 'sticking the heed in' to one of our Italian friends: Our very own Zidane - Scott Brown, looking the most likely protagonist.

A tense game evoked some of the best displays of attacking football we've seen from our boys in some time. Play moved from end to end with constant chances going astray - but only just and either team looked like they might pop up with a winner. The deadlock was finally broken by the most unlikely of sources. Davie Wallace - not normally considered a goal scorer- ran in from the left wing to meet with Alan MacLeod's cross and pasta the ball into the back of the net. That's where it finished. 1-0 to Healey's men.

You would think that would be enough to finish off most Scotland fans but theres more excitement to come, readers. Who do Scotland face in their first ever World Cup Quarter-Final? You couldn't make this stuff up, folks. England!

Throw out your A.B.E shirts and nip down to your local JJB. Theres only one team to support from here on in...