From Grassroots & Beyond...

• Thread starter Thread starter AndySams10
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 54
  • Views Views 7K
Killing it mate! Hope you make some noise in the playoffs!!

Killing it mate! Hope you make some noise in the playoffs!!

Thanks mate. Yeah I hope we can get promotion. I'm sticking by my beliefs of how I want the team to play, hence why we aren't scoring many and winning by odd goal. :)

MARCH 2016

View attachment 199318
MATCHES:

View attachment 199317
A full house of wins this month, as we look to cement our playoff place. A last minute Callum Hendry goal ensured our fans went home the happier, as we won a five goal thriller. This was followed up with another a home win over Stranraer, as we won comfortably by two goals. Both Callum Hendry and Danny Stoney have built up a telepathic relationship on the pitch and it was this partnership that saw us collect six points from six in our last couple of games.

TABLE:

View attachment 199316
Our four wins this month, have confirmed our place in the playoffs. We also close the gap on leaders Dunfermline to three points and we play them at home at the beginning of April.

CLUB NEWS:

View attachment 199313
I lose my assistant manager Billy Stark, who despite my pleas to stay and be part of our promotion challenge, he decided to leave and join Alloa. We could be crossing paths, as Alloa are currently bottom of the Scottish Championship.

AWARD NEWS:

View attachment 199311
I receive the manager of the month award for March and again it's largely down to how the players have performed of late. This month has seen the squad really understand how I'm looking to play and start to produce some top draw performances.

View attachment 199310
As I mentioned early both Callum Hendry and Danny Stoney have been in sensational form and it was no surprise that both were up for the young player of the month award. It was just who'd finish first and it was fair that Callum Hendry won it, with Danny Stoney second, with Callum scoring five goals in four games.

APRIL 2016

View attachment 199279
MATCHES:

View attachment 199278
We recorded our biggest win of the season, when we demolished top of the table Dunfermiline in front of our home fans. This win meant we drew level on points with them, at the top of the league heading into the final four games. Though Dunfermiline have a better goal difference than ourselves, we knew if we could continue our fine form, we'd really put the pressure on them to slip up and allow us to take the advantage.
Our final game of the season saw us travel to bottom side Stenhousemuir, only two points behind the leaders. If we won and they lost, we'd be crowned champions. Unfortunately, Stenhousemuir had other ideas and their win kept them up and consigned us to the playoffs.

TABLE:

View attachment 199273
Of course I'm gutted we couldn't win the league and seal promotion on the last day, but taking into consideration where we were predicted to finish and our form over the last couple of months, there's a lot of positives to build on, especially as we go into the playoffs where we'll face Forfar in the semi finals.

AWARD NEWS:

View attachment 199271View attachment 199270

Both our star players over the past few weeks, have again earnt
their awards. Danny Stoney winning player of the month and young striker Callum Hendry winning young player of the month.

INJURY NEWS:

View attachment 199269
A huge injury blow for us as we go into the playoff semi final without our in form striker.

YOUTH INTAKE:

View attachment 199268
With the injury to Callum Hendry, it gives an opportunity to youngster Jim Brown to be involved with the senior squad.

Last edited:
So unlucky there mate - was hoping you'd pip Dunfermline to the title!! Best of luck in the playoffs!

So unlucky there mate - was hoping you'd pip Dunfermline to the title!! Best of luck in the playoffs!

Cheers mate. I was too, though never expected to push them to the last game. Our form in last couple of months has been exceptional. :)

SEMI FINAL PLAYOFF

View attachment 199208
PLAYOFF - SEMI FINAL:

View attachment 199207View attachment 199206

We were fantastic over both legs and thoroughly deserve our place in the final. I gave 16 year old Jim Brown his first start in the first leg and he didn't disappoint, when he set up the opening goal. Though we were pegged back shortly after, Paul Willis grabbed his second of the game to give us the advantage going into the second leg.
In front of our home fans we dominated the second from start to finish, as we cruised to a two nil win. The highlight was hot prospect Jim Brown's first goal for the club, when he latched onto Danny Stoney's through ball to fire home.

END OF SEASON 2016

View attachment 199202
PLAYOFF - FINAL:

View attachment 199200View attachment 199199

WE'VE DONE IT!!! In all honesty, the game was done and dusted after the first leg, which saw us out play our opposition from the division above. Danny Stoney was in fine form as he bagged a brace, as we went onto to hold a two goal aggregate lead. Again, it was left to us to finish the job off in front of our fans and the win was sealed with another fine finish from youngster Jim Brown.

END OF SEASON AWARDS:

View attachment 199198
The only person missing who I feel should've been included is Callum Hendry. The on loan Blackburn forward was in sensational form, until injury prevented him playing in the play offs. Andrew Barrowman leads the line insted and he was also our leading goal scorer, though didn't get a look in due to the form of Hendry.
Overall though, our standout player has to be Danny Stoney, who swept the board with the awards and that's despite him only being at the club four months.

OTHER NEWS:

View attachment 199197
Now that we will be playing in the Scottish Championship, I felt the time to ask the board if I could go on the Continental C license coaching course. They reluctantly allowed me to go on it, as they fear they'll lose me to a bigger club soon, but luckily I managed to persuade them.

PRE-SEASON 2016/17

View attachment 199000
" Andy, thanks for getting back to me. I really appreciate the opportunity to work alongside you. I'll meet you at your hotel early this week and we can begin planning for the new season. " answered my new Assistant Manager.

View attachment 198990
Jermaine contacted me just after we secured our promotion and was keen to further enhance his experience in the coaching scene. And having looked around for suitable candidates and sitting down with him, it seems we both have a similar outlook on how football should be played and he'll bring some valuable knowledge to my management team.

Before I set off on a short break with my wife, I sat down with chairman Pat Gillooly and discussed our targets for the season ahead. Unfortunately captain Ricardo Talu and Andrew Barrowman were unwilling to discuss new contracts and felt they needed to move on, along with a couple other fringe players.
With seven players leaving us, it meant the need to bolster the squad was more urgent, so we spent a good few hours talking through ways to make the relevant funds available to bring in new players.
Mr Gillooly made £80k available for me to spend in the transfer market, with £3k accompanying that in wages. I felt this was very generous and immediately got on the phone to our scouts to scour the market for suitable players that meet the criteria I've requested.

View attachment 198907
We sat over looking the beach from our balcony in our hotel in Padstow, Cornwall, when my phone rang. It was Mr Gillooly. " Andy, I've had bids accepted for two of the players you are keen on and I've told them to meet you down in Cornwall, to discuss personnel terms. "
After breakfast and a change of clothes, I made my way to the lobby to meet Olumide Durojalye, who'd come down from Morton after we had a £30k offer accepted. I didn't need to speak to long to Olumide to convince him to join, as he'd already informed Morton that he wanted to leave and despite, his high price tag, a club record for us, he was my number one target to begin our rebuilding process.

View attachment 198898
Once I finished finalising the Durojalye deal, I had another potential target waiting to discuss his move to us. Scott Rumsby, a centre back currently playing for Stranraer, but looking to move to a bigger club. We had an £8k bid accepted very quickly and Scott made it clear he wanted to be part of the club, so we thrashed out the finer details and I looked forward to him filling the gap Ricardo Talu has left.

View attachment 198893
With two deals already completed, I met back up with my wife and we headed off around the harbour doing some sight seeing before wandering along the cobbled streets and the joy of going into every nik nak shop that the small fishing village had.

View attachment 198874
I came back from our trip to Cornwall fully refreshed and with two new additions to my squad. But I wasn't stopping there with the new faces and I quickly made three bids for players and arranged to meet them at a nearby hotel.

View attachment 198871View attachment 198870View attachment 198869

We had another £8k bid accepted for full back Ewan McNeil, who has been plying his trade for Berwick and like Scott Rumsby, was looking for a move to a bigger club and I was willing to give him that opportunity. Next through the door and signed on the dotted line were free transfers, Johnny Brown and Dylan Easton. Both players will play a big part in my starting eleven and I'm pleased to welcome them to the club and in time for our pre-season games.

MATCHES:

View attachment 198862
Not the best of pre-season results, but our performances in all the games was very pleasing. It allowed valuable time for the new signings to get to know each other and against strong opposition that we'll face this season.

View attachment 198861

We needed to strengthen our attacking options before the season got underway. Just when it looked like I'll be starting with young Jim Brown as my only striker, I was informed by scout Bobby Dickson, that Greig Spence had become available for a reasonable price. Having done a little research on him while on the phone to Bobby, I felt Greig would be a good addition, so I left the chairman to thrash out a deal for him.

JULY 2016

View attachment 198850
MATCHES:

View attachment 198849
Our season got underway in July, with two cup games. In the Challenge Cup, we were made to work hard fort he win, with Queen of the South taking us to penalties, where we managed to keep our nerve to go through. Up next was another tricky tie, as we played Peterhead in the League Cup. Two goals from Paul Willis were enough to see us safely through to the next round.

NEW SIGNING:

View attachment 198848

Greg Pascazio has joined us on a free transfer, following his release from Rangers. According to our scouts, with the right training, Greg has the ability and potential to become a top player.

Back