ZeCarlos

Reaction score
View attachment 471227
July 2013
Sunderland appoint Gus Poyet

View attachment 432528
Sunderland have confirmed the appointment of Gus Poyet as their new head coach. The 45-year-old has agreed a two-year contract and will take charge with immediate effect. Poyet, who left Brighton in the summer, will be joined at the Stadium of Light by his backroom staff Mauricio Taricco and Charlie Oatway.

Upon his unveiling, Poyet said: "It's a huge challenge but one I am excited about and I am grateful for the opportunity to manage in the Premier League. I look forward to proving my ability to the fans and I want them to believe because we need to stick together. We've got a big season ahead of us but I feel we have a squad of good ability and I'm hoping we can push more than the club did last season. I've been warned by many what the fans are like up here and I'm looking forward to getting into the dugout and impressing. I'm hoping myself and the squad can hit the ground running and play some impressive football; we have one philosophy and we'll stick to it. It's all about brining excitement to the fans."

The Uruguayan began his coaching career in England in 2006 at Swindon Town, before joining Leeds United as assistant manager. After a year at Elland Road, Poyet returned to his former club Tottenham Hotspur as first team coach, before becoming assistant manager to Juande Ramos. In 2009 he was appointed as manager at League One Brighton and led the club to the Championship play-offs last season where they lost out to Crystal Palace.

The owner of Sunderland, Ellis Short, released a statement which read: "
We analysed a wide range of candidates and believe that Gus's track record, experience, commitment and passion make him the right man to take us forward. It's been a hard couple of months at the club with the departure of Martin and then the short revival under Paolo. I sympathise with the fans and, as a strong supporter myself, have every confidence that Gus can lead us long into the future. There have certainly been some huge changes this summer which the squad and fans have had to adapt to but I have every faith that individuals will stay loyal to the club."

Please read: For the OP I've used several news sources and directly copied content in an attempt to quickly and precisely introduce the story with no other intentions. I'll be using the layout of my Ajax story, linked here, which I recognise is similar to that of TicTactition's - in case anybody is wondering, I've PM'd him to make sure he's okay with me using a similar layout so thanks goes to him. I've also PM'd Safc-mad-scotty to make sure he's fine with me starting a Sunderland story at a similar time to him, so fair play to him too.

Whilst success is obviously a main objective here, my most important intention is to make this as realistic as possible. I've (attempted) re-creating Poyet's tactics and philosophy and hope to make any transfers realistic. I'm not the best tactician and therefore this could hugely backfire but I'm looking forward to it. I've also included recent tranfers (i.e Marcos Alonso joining on loan and Cabral leaving on loan) and revoked the contracts of Roberto De Fanti and Valentino Angeloni as they left the club this evening in reality. Leave a like or comment if you enjoy, and please read on!

View attachment 471278
July-August 2013
Unbeaten in Pre-season

View attachment 432512

Friendly | Na Streleckem Ostrove
Saturday 13th July 2013

Ceske Budejovice 0-2 Sunderland
(Watmore, Mavrias)

MOTM: Watmore

A positive start to pre-season for us as we named a team of youngsters. Summer signings Charis Mavrias and Duncan Watmore scored a goal each with Watmore particularly impressing. Youth product Jordan Pickford also impressed in goal and will play second fiddle to Vito Mannone after Keiren Westwood's season ending injury.

Friendly | Via del Mare
Monday 22nd July 2013

Lecce 0-1 Sunderland
(Johnson)

MOTM: Ki Sung-Yeung

Another impressive display from the team - young midfielder El-Hadji Ba played very well alongside Ki and Larsson in a midfield three. Experienced winger Adam Johnson came off the bench at half-time to nick us the win with Pickford again keeping a clean sheet.

Friendly | San Francesco d'Assisi
Friday 26th July 2013

Nocerina 1-5 Sunderland
(Roberge, Altidore, Cattermole, Mavrias, Johnson)

MOTM: Cattermole

The team really took this game by the scruff of it's neck and impressed myself and the staff with the ease they played passing football. I acknowledge that we didn't face the toughest opponents but the football we played was excellent and I'm hoping the team can keep this up.

Friendly | Croft Park
Wednesday 31st July 2013

Blyth Spartans 1-2 Sunderland
(Watmore, Johnson)

MOTM: Watmore

Another inexperienced side, aside from the inclusion of Andrea Dossena and Carlos Cuellar, was named here as I wanted to give the younger lads a chance to impress. Midfielder George Honeyman played with a maturity way past the 20-year-old he is and Duncan Watmore once again got himself on the score sheet with Johnson coming off the bench to add a second.

Friendly | Stadium of Light
Saturday 3rd August 2013

Sunderland 2-1 Osasuna
(Larsson, Roberge)

MOTM: Larsson

The first opposition we've played in pre-season that were expected to challenge us. The result doesn't really do the game justice as we completely dominated and passed the ball excellently. An amazing free-kick from midfielder Sebastian Larsson set us on our way before defender Valentin Roberge doubled the lead. Osasuna scored a late consolation but still didn't look like significantly threatening us.

Friendly | Arena Garibaldi
Wednesday 7th August 2013

Pisa 0-2 Sunderland
(Honeyman, Watmore)

MOTM: Honeyman

In our final pre-season game, we fielded another weakened side with Phil Bardsley and Wes Brown being the only professionals to start. Midfielder George Honeyman again impressed and scored an absolute screamer before playing Watmore through to double our lead. Many of the young lads involved in pre-season have really impressed and are now seriously in my thoughts for a Premier League start.

Managers Opinion

Overall we've had an excellent pre-season. Six wins out of six, despite being against weaker opposition, really shows the potential in the squad. The aim of the pre-season was to get the team used to playing in this system and they've thoroughly impressed doing so. Some of the youngsters initially travelled with us simply for the experience but are now pushing towards a place in the starting eleven. I think the only negative of the pre-season is the fact that we've only been able to keep two clean sheets but we've been free-scoring and I have confidence that we can still improve. We've been tipped as potential relegation candidates but I'm confident we can avoid the bottom three come the end of the season.

Great start mate, hopefully take this form into the season. Good luck. :)

View attachment 471357

August 2013
Mixed Month for Poyet

View attachment 432479

Barclays Premier League Matchday 1 | Cardiff City Stadium
Saturday 17th August 2013

Cardiff City 0-1 Sunderland
(Giaccherini)

MOTM: Alonso

A fantastic way to begin the season - we outplayed Cardiff all over the pitch and the game was settled by an astounding Giaccherini strike from 20 yards out. We picked up three (minor) injuries which was a little worrying as Cardiff were flying into the challenges but we showed them what you do with the football is more important. A classy performance and three very valuable points.

Barclays Premier League Matchday 2 | Stadium of Light
Saturday 24th August 2013

Sunderland 1-0 Crystal Palace
(Johnson)

MOTM: Johnson

The result was a little disappointing as we were expected to score two or three but the performance was again very solid. Every single player on the pitch in a Sunderland shirt today looked comfortable on the ball and happy to have possession which I've been told is very different to the Sunderland of the past few years. Johnson took on three players before hitting a strike from just inside the area which hit the back of the net.

Capital One Cup Second Round | Stadium of Light
Tuesday 27th August 2013

Sunderland 5-2 Notts County
(Moberg-Karlsson, Diakite, Larsson, Altidore, Mavrias)

MOTM: Larsson

We were comfortable favourites today and we played excellently. I made 9 changes to the side from the Palace game and included the likes of El-Hadji Ba, Jordan Pickford and George Honeyman. Five superb goals rounded off the evening on a positive note despite conceding twice.

Capital One Cup Third Round Draw

Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Sunderland

Barclays Premier League Matchday 3 | Britannia Stadium
Saturday 31st August 2013

Stoke City 2-1 Sunderland
(Altidore)

MOTM: Guerreiro

The display was disappointing today as we fell to our first loss. In all fairness, we didn't deserve to lose and a draw would have probably been a fairer result. We fell behind early before Johnson nicked the ball high up the pitch and played in Altidore who slotted under the 'keeper. Unfortunately young Portuguese winger Raphael Guerreiro, who joined Stoke on loan in the summer, scored a '89 goal and sealed all three points for the hosts.

Managers Opinion

We've had a fairly positive month - if you take out the Stoke result then I'd say we had been excellent. We picked up three well-earned points at Cardiff and then deserved to score more against Palace. We did well in the cup to avoid a potential banana skin and then fell at the last hurdle against Stoke. We'll have the players working hard in training over the next two weeks before we host Arsenal and then travel to Old Trafford - it's going to be a tough few games but I'm looking forward to them. I'm also personally happy that we've been drawn at Brighton in the next round of the Capital One Cup as I have good memories with the fans and thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

Barclays Premier League Table

View attachment 432478

Good start mate, nice to see so many of the youngsters getting a chance in the friendlies and cup game.

View attachment 474616

September 2013
Seven goal thriller

View attachment 431147

Barclays Premier League Matchday Four | Stadium of Light
Saturday 14th September 2013

Sunderland 4-3 Arsenal
(Borini x2, Cattermole, OG)

MOTM: Borini

An outstanding effort from the team today as we went behind on three different occasions. Cattermole scored an absolute screamer before Borini put Arsenal to the sword and scored a late brace to turn the game in our favour. It must have been a fantastic result for the neutrals but myself and the staff will be working on defending through the week because we didn't do enough to suppress the opposition.

Barclays Premier League Matchday Five | Old Trafford
Saturday 21st September 2013

Manchester United 1-0 Sunderland

MOTM: Januzaj

Not the result we were after today but I was fairly impressed with the performance. We battled well as a team as well as individuals and looked fairly even with the champions. The spending power proved to be the difference as Robin van Persie produced a stunning late goal to steal all three points for the hosts.

Capital One Cup Third Round | The Amex
Tuesday 24th September 2013

Brighton & Hove Albion 0-1 Sunderland
(Mavrias)

MOTM: Pickford

It's been a nice return to the South coast for me personally as I got to catch up with a lot of old friends and we also progressed. I'm very happy with the team because we only fielded two from the weekend and the rest were all usually Under 21's or substitutes. I was, again, very impressed with George Honeyman but local 'keeper Jordan Pickford was the difference between the two sides today as he pulled off some amazing saves and kept us in the game.

Capital One Cup Fourth Round Draw

Sunderland vs. Hull City

Barclays Premier League Matchday Six | Stadium of Light
Sunday 29th September 2013

Sunderland 2-0 Fulham
(Fletcher x2)

MOTM: Ki Sung-Yeung

Another impressive performance today as we dominated a good Fulham side. Fletcher made his first appearance under me and thoroughly impressed so he's definitely put himself back into contention. He's proven to be a good player in training but I didn't feel he was right in my system, however now he's definitely an option and shown what he can do. Ki made a huge contribution to the game today - dictating the tempo as he wanted and even getting an assist.

Managers Opinion

It's been a good month for us - we've played very well and we've come away with maximum points aside from the game at United which was always going to be tough. We've proven we can beat the big boys with the result against Arsenal and that gives me confidence as we're sitting high up the table in comparison to the expectations placed upon us - but, for me, we don't focus on where we end up right now. Football isn't predictable and never will be; we take one game at a time and keep doing so. It's been a positive month but things could change so easily so we need to stay grounded and that's my job.

View attachment 431144

Haha Newcastle bottom!! Nice start to the league. Good to see another Sunderland story.

Just using the current team we have without signing anyone?

Haha Newcastle bottom!! Nice start to the league. Good to see another Sunderland story.

Just using the current team we have without signing anyone?

Thanks a lot mate! I'm just about to upload the next update and I can say sadly Newcastle aren't in the bottom three any more:(

And for now, yes. I'll look to bring some in January which are real/realistic... possibly Bridcutt, Vergini and that 'keeper we've (nearly) signed today. Keep an eye out buddy:)

View attachment 475007

October 2013
Unbeaten month for Poyet

View attachment 430977

Barclays Premier League Matchday Seven | Stadium of Light
Sunday 6th October 2013

Sunderland 3-3 Swansea City
(Borini x2, Bardsley)

MOTM: Borini

A fantastic comeback from the lads - we were three down after twenty minutes and there looked to be no way back. We scored on the stroke of half time and when the boys came in I told them to go nick a point. Borini scored two very well worked goals from the team before Bardsley equalised with a 30 yard screamer in the dying seconds. Very proud of the comeback but we have to start better in the future!

Barclays Premier League Matchday Eight | Villa Park
Saturday 19th October 2013

Aston Villa 1-1 Sunderland
(Colback)

MOTM: Lowton

We've picked up a precious point today - Villa are a good side, especially at home, and we battled with them well throughout the game. Vito pulled off a few good saves for us before Colback snatched a point which I'm very happy with.

Barclays Premier League Matchday Nine | KC Stadium
Saturday 26th October 2013

Hull City 1-5 Sunderland
(Brown, Colback x2, Altidore, Alonso)

MOTM: Colback

What a performance! We played excellently today - Jack got on the scoresheet for the second consecutive game after grabbing a brace today. It was good for Jozy to get one because he's been getting a bit of stick from the stands and online so I'm glad for him that he's scored. The passing and pressing game we played today is the best I've seen from us so far - I'm very happy to pick up three points today. Now we have to look at midweek when we host Hull because I'm sure they'll have every intention of getting one back over us.

Capital One Cup Fourth Round | Stadium of Light
Tuesday 29th October 2013

Sunderland 2-1 Hull City
(Ba, Honeyman)

MOTM: Honeyman

Again for the cup, we made massive changes to the side which played at the weekend and every single player thoroughly impressed. Whilst the youngsters continue to impress, they'll continue to get game time. George ran the game for us in the middle of the park today and then grabbed the winner in the '87 minute. An excellent team performance and I'm happy we've progressed!

Managers Opinion

It's been a very good month for us - it's the first competitive unbeaten month we've had since I took charge and it feels good to be so high in the table. I think the two points we picked up against Villa and Swansea could prove to be vital come the end of the season because we're expected to finish in and around them. The win against Hull was fantastic for the team - it's a real confidence booster when we can score five goals and completely take away the pressure and dictate play. So far we've been excellent but within the next month we face Liverpool and Tottenham as well as a tough trip to Norwich so it could prove to be an important month.

View attachment 430960

Is this keeper that we've "nearly" signed Mariano Andujar? Where are you getting this from?

He seemed well rated a few year ago from other people on football sites.

And a great month. I finished 3rd but did not start out this well. And i love how Cardiff have scored 0 haha.

Is this keeper that we've "nearly" signed Mariano Andujar? Where are you getting this from?

He seemed well rated a few year ago from other people on football sites.

And a great month. I finished 3rd but did not start out this well. And i love how Cardiff have scored 0 haha.

No mate, Oscar Ustari... we've been linked with him for about a fortnight and today he terminated his contract with Almeria... Spanish press are reporting he's already signed for us but yet to be made official.

Thanks, again, mate. I didn't even realise about Cardiff - wow! Nine games with no goals is horrendous!

View attachment 475086

October 2013
War of words with Bruce

View attachment 430943
Hull City manager Steve Bruce has released a swathing attack on Sunderland coach Gus Poyet following the Wearsiders' 2-1 win over his side. After a controversial game where Bruce's side had a potential penalty not given whilst the hosts had a goal wrongly disallowed, Bruce has moved to criticise Uruguayan Poyet as well as his side and their playing style.

In his post match interview, Bruce said: "I'm disgusted with the referee's decision. It's an obvious penalty and we deserved to at least be drawing after 90 minutes. Instead we're beaten because they have twelve men - it's typical really, isn't it. The smaller clubs like ourselves are always overlooked because we're not seen as important."

Upon hearing Bruce's comments, Poyet replied: "I think Steve needs to watch what he's saying because he can so easily get a ban nowadays for saying certain things to the press. Sometimes decisions go against you and sometimes they go for you - you just have to get on with it and do your best. He can complain about the penalty incident all he wants but we also had a goal disallowed so it kind of evens itself out. Overall I think we were the better team and deserved to go through so I'm happy."

Bruce then replied: "In my opinion Poyet should stay out of it - it has nothing to do with him. I complained about the decision because I felt it was the wrong choice made by the referee and I think he robbed us. Poyet can't say Sunderland were the better team because they weren't; they may have had more possession but what can you expect when you play these tippy-tappy teams? I felt we were the most dangerous going forward and that should've been proven in the scoreline but instead, I reiterate, we were robbed." When asked about his relationship with Sunderland, Bruce said: "I had a good time there, personally. I wish I'd been given longer but I guess that's football and you sometimes don't get the time you deserve. I can still say I had a good time at the club, but I think they've done the wrong thing by appointing Poyet. They should've went for someone with a little more experience and a little more tactically aware because I feel Poyet's a little desperate."

Poyet then said: "I think it's best to not comment too much on what Steve has to say because it's not that important to me. If he wants to criticise my style and say I'm wrong, then with no disrespect to Hull, I think we should look at the table because we're above them at the moment. Maybe he doesn't like my style, and that's fine, but I think in future it'd be best for him to keep his opinion to himself. He can criticise the clubs decision to appoint me all he wants but I'm here now and for the foreseeable future so we'll see with how the club does. I'm not promising the league title because we build slowly and we build solidly, but we're doing okay right now and I'm looking to the future. I have no more comments regarding what Steve has to say because I think he's unnecessarily criticising others and it's a little bit off in my opinion."

In other news, Newcastle United have sacked manager Alan Pardew after their 1-0 loss at Southampton at the weekend. The club have played ten league games, winning just two, and knocked out of the Capital One Cup early by Aston Villa. QPR manager Harry Redknapp is currently favourite to take charge at St. James' Park.

Last edited:
No mate, Oscar Ustari... we've been linked with him for about a fortnight and today he terminated his contract with Almeria... Spanish press are reporting he's already signed for us but yet to be made official.

Thanks, again, mate. I didn't even realise about Cardiff - wow! Nine games with no goals is horrendous!

It has been confirmed that he has signed for us: BBC Sport - Transfer window: Goalkeeper Oscar Ustari joins Sunderland

I have heard of him before but don't know much about the kid.

Yeah I posted that before it was confirmed.

Supposedly had a lot of potential, don't know too much about him but he wants to get some playing time to push for the Argentinian WC squad. Don't know if he'll be able to do that here with Mannone as number 1 but we'll see.

It will be hard as Mannone has done well although I'm not sure on him when it comes to corners and anything within his 6 yard box, too many horrible goals conceded that way.

Heading to the game tomorrow? I am feeling the nerves now

It will be hard as Mannone has done well although I'm not sure on him when it comes to corners and anything within his 6 yard box, too many horrible goals conceded that way.

Heading to the game tomorrow? I am feeling the nerves now

Many a time it's not just Mannone with corners though - the whole team appear to panic. Didn't think he could have done much about Lovren's at the weekend.

And no mate, unfortunately not - are you? Feeling the nerves here too, not often we get a game with such importance. I have faith in Poyet, though.

Sorry to anyone with interest in this story, or my other, but I've got to stop both.

This morning my drive crashed and with it I've lost everything I had - FM saves and vital college work among other things. I'm working to restore my drive but know that even if I manage to recover it, all of my files are gone. I'm very annoyed right now but wanted to offer an apology to anybody interested.

What tactics are you using? you seem to be getting some very good results and what sort of style of play are you using? Poyet seems to use a 4-1-2-2-1 or 4-1-4-1 in real life