From one Martin to another - My Aston Villa Story

pickard77

Reaction score
Hey peeps! This is my first football manager story so go easy on me :). I have chosen Aston Villa not because there the team I support, I infact support Manchester United, but because they have been in the news recently regarding a new manager. I’ll hopefully be doing daily updates on the clubs progression and we’ll see if I can achieve great things with The Villans…Wish me luck! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

29 May 2009

Martin O'Neill resigns as Aston Villa manager

Martin O'Neill has resigned as Aston Villa manager with immediate effect.

Kevin MacDonald has been appointed caretaker boss while no reason has been given for O'Neill's decision to leave after four years in the job.
MacDonald will prepare the side for their Premier League opener against West Ham on Saturday.

O'Neill, appointed in 2006, said: "I have enjoyed my time at Aston Villa immensely. It's obviously a wrench to be leaving such a magnificent club."

The 58-year-old O'Neill, who led Villa to their third successive sixth-placed finish in the Premier League last season, added: "I would like to pay tribute to the Villa players, my coaching staff and the Villa supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me personally during my time as manager.

"I wish them all the best for the future. I will obviously be assisting the club in the immediate short-term with regard to the handover of my duties."

It is unclear at this stage whether the response O'Neill received from the club's hierarchy led to his decision to end his four-year reign at the Midlands club.

Former England manager Graham Taylor, who had two spells as Villa manager, told BBC Sport he had been aware of some unrest at the club during the off-season.

"I'm shocked like everyone else even though I've been aware that behind the scenes that there has been a lack of togetherness," said Taylor, who was in charge at Villa Park between 1987-90 and 2002-03.

"Whether this has anything to do with James Milner and his possible transfer to Manchester City and the fact that we are led to believe that he may have to sell to buy, I don't know."

Faulkner said of O'Neill's departure: "The club would like to thank Martin for the great work he has done at Aston Villa over the past four years."

"He has helped to establish the club in the upper echelons of the Premier League, has taken us to Wembley and we have also qualified for European competition for the past three seasons under his management. We wish him the best in the future."

League Managers' Association chief executive Richard Bevan said: "The LMA shares Martin's disappointment at him leaving Aston Villa.

"He has achieved great success not just with Villa but throughout his managerial career. He is a great example to all aspiring managers having built the foundations in non-league football to then go on to successfully manage at the highest level in the game."

Former Villa captain Martin Laursen said he was not surprised that O'Neill left the club also adding that he did not think his departure would be followed by several players.

"He wanted more than Randy Lerner could give him," Laursen told BBC Sport.

"He is so ambitious that when he doesn't get what he wants he walks away. But I don't think more players will leave.”

"If Martin O'Neill gets another important job then he might take some with him but I don't think players will leave because O'Neill has gone."

Aston Villa will now begin the difficult task of appointing a replacement.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

15 June 2009

Martin Pickard named new manager of Aston Villa

29-year-old Martin Pickard has been named Aston Villa's new manager after signing a two year contract earlier today.

Pickard replaces Martin O'Neill, who left the midlands club two weeks ago with still no reason been given for his shock resignation.

The former Sunderland and England midfielder had notched up over 300 appearances and 22 goals at club level and 38 caps and 1 goals at international level before after injury forced him to retire from the game.

“Aston Villa are a massive club with vast amounts of potential to progress and become a top 4 club”, Pickard said “Opportunities like these don’t come along often and I’m delighted that the Chairman approached me and gave me this route back into football”

“It’s not like I’m a novice in the football world…manager level…yes but I know the game and I’ve bossed Gabby, Ashley, James and Emile around on the pitch so why not from the dugout (laughs)."

“I read the papers every day and I know the likes of Manchester City, Tottenham and Manchester United are interested in James (Milner) and Ashley (Young) and I know I’m going to have my work cut out trying to keep them here and I’m not looking to off load them, they are part of the backbone of the club and are needed to take the club forward”, Pickard added.

The Englishman will be unveiled as manager on 4th July and his first match in charge will be a friendly against Yeovil Town on 19th July.

Villa chairman Randy Lerner was delighted to have secured Pickard as the club's new manager.

Lerner said: "To me, Martin's passion and ability to motivate players is unsurpassed.
"We had three meetings at my home and I've not spoken to anyone else.

"We had a dozen applicants but Martin was my choice at the start and here he is today."
"There are small funds available to improve the squad and I was told from the very first meeting that if I need to massively strengthen then I would need to sell before I buy," Pickard finally added.

One Aston Villa said: “Pickard was a good footballer not a great footballer, I think he’s far too young to become a manager of a premiership football team…especially one with top 4 ambitions.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

10 July 2009

James Milner completes his transfer to Manchester City

England midfielder James Milner has completed his move to Manchester City from Aston Villa on a five-year deal.

City have also announced that Stephen Ireland has moved to Villa Park as part of the deal, reportedly worth £26m.

"He can improve and be a great player for Manchester City for a long time," said manager Roberto Mancini.

"It didn't take too much selling by the boss when you see the players who are already here and the plans for the club," said Milner.

"The last thing he said to me was 'be ready for the next game', and then he said 'be ready to win the Premier League', and that's my ultimate aim - that's what I want to do and why I'm here.

"There's a lot of competition to get there, it's where we all want to be.
"I'm ambitious and I want to win trophies here. I believe this is a great place to do that and I believe we will do it. Hopefully, sooner rather than later."

"I am very happy to have James with us," stated Mancini. "Everybody knows we have admired him for some time.

"He is an excellent midfielder, who can play in a number of positions.”

"This is important for the team, and I am looking forward to seeing him play for us. We have a very strong squad, and this signing is a very important one for us.

"James is already a very good player, who has proved he can play at the very top level. But he is also young and a good character, I think he can also improve and be a great player for a long time."

Meanwhile, Ireland, 23, spent eight years at City in which he made 142 starts and scored 23 goals after coming through the ranks as a teenager.

He was the club's player of the year for the 2008-2009 season, although the Irishman did not feature frequently last season.

"I've kind of forgotten the feeling of what it is like to come off after a game feeling tired, winning or losing. I'm not used to sitting out for so long," said Ireland.

"So for me, I want to get back to playing at the top of my game and I want to work hard for my team-mates.

"I want to see if me and my team-mates can push on and achieve something massive this season."

Aston Villa Manager Martin Pickard said "Obviously its disappointing losing a player of James' (Milner) calibre but the deal brings Stephen Ireland to Villa Park and hopefully Stephen can fill this void."

Okay peeps...the next update will include a few transfers and also a few friendly matches.