From rags to riches - a new hope in life

Thanks, my team has really gelled and to say when i took the job they were 19th and where i am now i am shocked!

cambridge-united.jpg

February update

1277716013_839.jpg

Cambridge 9-0 Braintree (Sutherland, Shaw x2, Mole x3, Green, Kandol, Harris)

This was the best game i had seen us play. Sutherland opened the scoring in his second to last game with a curling effort from 20+ yards out which gave the team some real confidence. Kandol was brought down in the area 3 minutes later and Shaw stepped up to score his first of the season. Five minutes later Shaw got his second of the game with a poachers goal from 4 yards out. In the 39th minute Mole got hacked down in the area and the ref gave another penalty. This time Mole stepped up and smashed it in. 4-0 at half time. In the 56th minute, new signing Matt Green got a goal on his debut when he headed in a Harris cross. Tresor Kandol then turned goal scorer when he replaced Sutherland and he smashed in a lovely hit volley from 10 yards. 18 year old winger Harris continued his fine form and got on the goal sheet with a lobbed effort when Kandol played him through. Two quick fire goals from new striker Jamie Mole got him his first hat-trick for the club and finished off the rout.

Cambridge 5-1 Luton (FA Trophy 4th round) (Sutherland x2, Harris, Kandol, Balkestein)

Cambridge carried on their fine form from the previous game and were 1-0 up after 12 minutes. Veteran striker Tresor Kandol, who replaced injured Jamie Mole, snatched at a Sutherland cross and it hit the post and trickled over the line. Kandol then turned provider for Sutherland who tapped in a lovely pass across goal to get a goal on his last game for the club. Sutherland soon got his second when he smashed in from 3 yards out following a defensive mix up from Luton. Luton then grabbed a goal back in first half injury time when Crow headed in. Pim Balkestein, on loan from Brentford, has been on fine form since joining and got a goal when he met a Harris corner to book a place in the semi-finals of the FA Trophy. Young winger Harris then got on the score sheet himself when he curled in from the edge of the box.

Kidderminster 2-2 (Balkestein, Green)

All of Cambridge's courage seemed to have left them in the trip to Kidderminster. They were soon 1-0 down through a Lee Hendrie goal and two minutes later it was two nil when their striker, Paterson, capitalised on another defensive mix up from Coulson and Balkestein. You could sense things were heating up on the pitch and after half time things seemed to cool down. Balkestein grabbed a consolation in the 85th minute and Matt Green grabbed an equaliser in stoppage time to get his second goal since joining.

York 0-1 Cambridge (Mole)

6th placed Cambridge visited 3rd placed York today. York were many peoples favourites as they hadn't lost in 8. York were the better team and a piece of magic from 23 year old stirker, Jamie Mole seperated the two teams at half time time when he scored a diving header. Th game was the same in the second half with no real good chances.

Cambridge 2-0 Bath (Bowery, Harris)

Cambridge had bags full of confidence now after finally reaching a play off place which many people said Southern wouldn't be able to do. New on-loan striker Jordan Bowery had been injured since he joined from Chesterfield on deadline day but in his first game he looked a great player and nabbed himself a goal in the 30th minute when him and Mole linked up well before he slotted it past the keeper. 18 year old Harris had been showing everyone why he is a contender for player of the season with consistant performances of a high level and he got another goal to his name today.

Barrow 0-2 Cambridge (Shaw, Mole)

Barrow were shaking in their boots before the game started and you could sense a negative atmosphere around their team. Their players separated into their own little groups before kick off and this looked bad for them as they are trying to avoid relegation. Central midfielder Shaw got the game off to a flyer after 2 minutes when he tapped in from a Mole cross and many Barrow fans looked un-interested whereas Cambridge fans were jubilant. The game was poor from then on until the 80th minute when Jamie Mole grabbed his 5th goal in 6 games this month to wrap up the three points.

Grimsby 0-3 Cambridge (Mole x2, Shaw)

Cambridge were looking to be the real deal now and were wanting to try and grab the second automatic spot if possible. The first half was a bore and no one looked like scoring. The second half was much brighter and midfielder Shaw got on the score sheet again with a placed effort. Ten minutes later it was 2-0. Jamie Mole grabbed another goal to an impressive start to his career and he then doubled his tally for the game 6 minutes later.

Player of the month - Jamie Mole (7 goals in 7 games)

_48474760_1908023.jpg

The promising striker scored 7 goals in 7 games this month and a few league 1/2 teams have been sniffing around.​

Last edited:
cambridge-united.jpg

March update

0,,10423~5762690,00.jpg

Luton 1-1 Cambridge (Mole)

This was a game we really needed to win. If we won we would be closer to Gatshead at the top and leapfrog Luton. All this hope was flushed away when Fleetwood scored a cracking volley bang on half time for Luton. The players heads were down at half time and i could tell. I just told them to do their best and thats what they did. They were outstanding in the second half and our only goal was through our new key striker, Jamie Mole who tapped in from a Kandol cross.

Cambridge 3-2 Tamworth (Harris, Mole x2)

Tamworth were well up for this. They were trying to avoid relegation and around 7 more points would do that. We, however, were taking to prisoners. Harris, who on many occasions has been the creative spark for my team, got on the score sheet with a lovely curling effort from the edge of the box. That goal gave us some momentum. We kept pushing and pushing and we got our second through Mole. We kicked off the second half in similar fashion to how we finished the first. Jamie Mole grabbed his second of he game when he headed in from a Harris free kick. We now felt comfortable. That was not the case, Tamworth scored straight away when Coulson scored an own goal and then another own goal 8 minutes later could of cost us dearly.

Cambridge 3-1 Woking (FA Trophy semi-final) (Bowery, Harris, Mole)

Many people had wrote Woking off as they were in the division below us. They were top of the league though and confidence was streaming through their squad. They took the lead through another own goal. Our third in two games! We hit back though and on loan striker Jordan Bowery scored a lucky goal that rebounded off the post to his feet and he couldn't miss. At half time it was 1-1. We needed a lift so i brought on Mole and Harris. Mole had an instant impact when he scored in the 60th minute and Harris also scored in the 87th minute to seal the win which gave us more breathing space in the second leg.

Wrexham 1-1 Cambridge (Harris)

This was never going to be easy. Wrexham were four points behind us and it was between us for the last play off place. This was a game we couldn't lose. We got off to a flyer when Harris yet again scored in the 10th minute through a free kick. Wrexham hit back though and scored through Hudson. We decided to play for the point from then on as Wrexham were breaking through a lot and looking dangerous.

Woking 1-1 Cambridge (FA Trophy semi final)(Shaw)

I decided that as we had a 3-1 lead from the first leg to yet again rest some key players as we had a important league game in two days time. They managed to take the lead through Doyle and we were looking shaky. Half time couldn't of come sooner. We were not performing at all and we managed to seal our trip to Wembley when Shaw scored a penalty in the 72nd minute. I was delighted. My first trip to Wembley had been secured and i couldn't wait!

Cambridge 2-1 Newport County (Green, Mole)

Nathanial Jarivs, Newports key striker, had been in fine scoring form heading into this game and he managed to get a goal just 2 minutes in to the game. A sloppy piece of defending had let him break straight through the middle and tapped in from close range. In the live table we were just hanging on to the last play off place as we were one point above Grimsby. The players found out and played out of their skins the second half. New striker Green, who had scored a few since his £40k move from Mansfield, equalised when the keeper spilled a Mole shot and Green was there to tap in. Any guesses fir who scored the winning goal? That man Mole. He did it again. He rounded the keeper and slotted into an empty net and our fans were going mental singing 'Mole! Mole will tear you apart again!' It was a great feeling compared to when i first joined the club.

Southport 1-5 Cambridge (Mole x2, Harris x2, Shaw)

Southport where really struggling at the foot of the table. They were destined for relegation and i did feel sorry for them. They had a great start to the season and it all just went downhill. Shaw got the opening goal after 20 minutes when he lobbed the keeper and two minutes later Harris got our second. In the 39th minute Harris got our third and his second of the game with a real poachers effort. We started the second half brilliantly and were winning 4-0 in the 47th minute when Jamie Mole headed in from a corner. Stockport got a goal back late on but in the 90th minute Mole got his second to secure a good win for us.

Gateshead 3-1 Cambridge (Balkestein)

Gateshead, before this game, only needed 6 points and the title was theirs with four games to go. You could tell why they had all but won the league. They played free flowing football and their defence was solid as a brick wall. They went 1-0 up in the 48th minute when Adjei scored a lucky header which hit the bar and just went in. Adjei grabbed his second of the game when he rounded our keeper and tapped into the open net. We got a goal back through Balkestein who scored a goal from 15 yards out which you would expect from a striker. All hope was gone when Chippendale made it 3-1 in the 80th minute to put Gateshead within touching distance of the title.

Cambridge 6-0 Stockport (Mole x2, Harris, Jackson, Green, Sodje)

This was possibly one of our best performances to date. We dominated from start to finish and it could easily of been 10-0 or more! Mole scored his first with a curling effort from 10 yards out in the 20th minute and in the 18th minute young winger Harris got his goal when he took on two defenders and slotted it into the net. We calmed down a little and Southport were beginning to get back in the game. Half time came and we received the news Gateshead had clinched the title. I was quite happy for them. They deserved it. I told the players that we were now playing for second so we could maybe get a easier opponent in the play offs. Jackson, our on loan winger, put us 3-0 up with a diving header and Green, who had said he would like a new deal recently, smashed in from 12 yards. Jamie Mole got his second of the game with a similar goal to Green's and Akpo Sodje got his first goal with a good finish late on.

Player of the month -

yf3aq.png

11l4sgm.png

Last edited:
cambridge-united.jpg

April update

0,,10423~3196799,00.jpg

Cambridge 5-2 Kettering (Mole x2, Green x2, Jackson)

Cambridge's game this month were so important they had to win all of them to guarantee a play off space. Cambridge took the lead through leading scorer Jamie Mole when he nodded in from close range. Kettering weren't going down without a fight and drew level when Verman smashed past a surprised keeper. Verman soon got his second of the game when Coulson passed back to the keeper but he got there first and tapped in. Green got his first of the game when he volleyed in from 10 yards to equalise and he then got his second in the 49th minute with a smashing effort. Winger Jackson scored one of the goals of the season when he broke from a Kettering corner, beat three men and placed the ball under the keeper. Jamie Mole finished off the scoring with a curling effort into the far right.

Forest Green Rovers 4-0 Cambridge

Utter embarrassment for Cambridge. They were played off the park. Had fatigue set in on the players? It looked that way. Henderson gave them the lead when he headed in, in the 20th minute. Midfielder Pook then doubled their lead with a superb free kick which was unstoppable and by half time it was 3-0 when Forbes scored a tap in. I was distraught. Was we going to fall to pieces and miss out of the play offs? Who knows. Forbes finished the rout with another tap in in the 78th minute. The worst performance i had seen from us, and at such a crucial stage in the season.

Cambridge 1-2 Lincoln (Balkestein)

This encounter definitely had an end of season feel to it. It was sloppy and the players looked tired. We needed to win this to have any hope of clinching the last play off place as we faced 2nd placed Fleetwood next week. Lincoln took the lead through Bore early on and i slammed the water bottle down and had a strop. Sinclair got Lincoln's second on the verge on half time. I was so angry. A side of me that the players had never witnessed came out and i was close to hitting Jackson, the cocky c**t. He was replaced at half time and Harris came on who i was resting for the big game. We played a little better and grabbed our goal through our center back, Pim Balkestein. I was so stressed. Was i meant to be a football manager?

Fleetwood 2-3 Cambridge (Harris x2, Brodie OG)

Our hardest game of the season. The must win game. I have to say, i did have a bad feeling about our play off hopes as we were waiting to kick off. The last two games have been terrible and we started the same here. I pinpointed Jamie Vardy as there main threat and he scored after 5 minutes when he 'walked' through our defence and tapped in. That's it i thought. Play off dreams over. After the break Jamie Vardy put Fleetwood 2-0 up. I yelled out "For f**k sake! what's wrong with you? The fans pay good money to see you perform out there! Do it for f*****g them!" I felt better once i got that out of my system. In the 50th minute we got a goal back through an own goal from Brodie. I was wishing we got another and two minutes later we were level. Matthew Harris. How i loved this guy. He smashed in from 12 yards and i jumped out of my seat and he ran over and celebrated with me and the staff. Then i got the news. Grimsby were winning. We couldn't draw, we had to win to get in the play offs. Many thoughts were ticking through my mind and i looked at the ground thinking. I peered over to out fans when i heard a loud cheer. Harris wheeled away in celebration and i thought i would join in! I ran the whole length of the pitch and celebrated with our fans. I was ecstatic. I, however, would now miss the play off semi finals against Luton. But oh well... We had done it.

Cambridge 5-2 Luton (Play off semi final) (Jackson x2, Mole, Harris, Coulson)

I was gutted i had to sit this out. I mean, proper gutted. I decided to sit with some season ticket holders and get their views on the team etc. We started poor and Stuart Fleetwood put them 1-0 up after 2 minutes and 2-0 up after 10 minutes. Our squad reacted and Jackson, who i had to recall, did me proud. He dribbled past two players and lobbed the keeper. Cambridge fans went wild! 10 minutes later, in the 37th minute, we were level. Mole grabbed a well deserved goal and everyone looked fired up. On the stroke of half time Jackson grabbed his second. I went to the changing room at half time to congratulate the players and i got responses like "this is for you boss". I was shocked to be honest. They went out for the second half and Harris got his third goal in two games when he scored a picturesque goal in front of the home fans. Coulson scored a header late on to secure a comfortable margin going into the second leg.

Luton 0-1 Cambridge (Green)

We were pretty much through but we knew this wouldn't be as easy as we thought. We battled from the start and never stopped working which is all i could ask for. We did get fortunate when Fleetwood was allegedly offside but i didn't think it was. Matt Green popped up with a goal to send our travelling fans home happy and to secure our place in the play off final.

Player of the season - Matthew Harris

18zozd.png

33bojk9.png

...................................................................................................................​

This was the biggest day of my life. My first trip to Wembley as a manager. It would be my first of two within two weeks. I couldn't believe it. The players couldn't believe it. The underdogs for the majority of the season have made it to the play off final after been 19th when i took over in October. I woke up at 8 in the morning in my hotel bed. I decided to go and get a good breakfast. A full English if you like. I deserved a treat, don't i?

fullenglish3wm.jpg
I returned to my room and had a little kip. I was so tired. I could barely sleep because of the excitement. I knew 15-20,000 fans were on their way to London to watch us try and gain promotion into League 2 at my first time of asking. I knew the players could do it. We had already beet Fleetwood twice in the league and now was our chance to make that three times. It was around 11am when i made my way down to Wembley. I just sat thinking of everything. What could go wrong or right. Who's the best to play in a game like this? Is 18 year old Harris too young? I decided to walk around Wembley and soak in the history of the 90,000 capacity stadium. It was near 1.30 and i heard the players come into the stadium. I went into the changing room with my coffee and sat the players down ...

This is it lads. Our big break. Many people have us down as evens to lose. Do not listen to them. We have beat these already. Imagine the pride that comes with a win at Wembley and the pride the supporters have. Let's do it for them. I honestly believe we can go out and show the world, live on TV how we play and that we mean business. How many of you thought you'd be on the verge of becoming a football league player after the poor start you had? Exactly. None. Look what you have done for yourselves. You have earned this opportunity. Take it with both hands, soak in the atmosphere and go out and win!

The match kicked off. The players looked fired up and ready. Good signals so far. We were outplaying Fleetwood for the majority of the opening stages and Matthew Harris was played through, one on one and scored. I went beserk before noticing the flag was up for offside. I fell to my knees and felt like crying. From that free kick Fleetwood went up and got a penalty from a stupid tackle from Balkestein. My heart was in my mouth. Up stepped Jamie Vardy. The reliable striker who so many Fleetwood fans idolise. In goal for us was Mann. Pretty new on the scene and he could make himself a hero. Vardy started his run up. I turned away. Suddenly, a huge cheer. I thought that he had scored until i noticed our bench were jumping. He'd missed. Put it high and wide. The pressure got to him.

Jamie-Vardy-Fleetwood_2700834.jpg

Vardy looks on in disbelief as he misses the penalty

We were even more up for it now. It was nearing half time and neither team had many chances since that penalty miss. I decided to give Akpo Sodje a start for the first time as he was sharp in training and Harris in the 39th minute played him through on goal. It seemed like Sodje was running for an eternity before i saw the net ripple. I went crazy. Jumping up and down, screaming. The fans looked amazing all bouncing and singing. I was proud to be manager of this football club.

0,,10423~3669982,00.jpg

Cambridge fans celebrate Sodje's opener

For the rest of the second half i couldn't sit still. I was so excited at the thought of winning the play offs. Fleetwood piled on the pressure. We were resisting it though. We were looking like champions. We played neat football. It was fast, free flowing stuff and it was working wonders. Fleetwood found it hard to get the ball off of us and every time we got a corner it looked like we would score with our airial presence. We kept on pinning Fleetwood in their own half. We got a free kick on the edge of the area. The whole ground was dead silent. You'd hear a pin drop. Harris stepped up, curled it around the wall, rattled the bar and the Fleetwood defence cleared for a corner. It was so close to been 2-1. The corner was whipped in and Pim Balkestein met it with a bullet header and Wembley exploded. It was a party atmosphere after that goal. We run out well deserved 2-0 winners and i was so proud of everyone at my club.

873319.jpg

Cambridge win the play offs!

nyclj4.png

Last edited:
very good stuff, congrats on getting promoted. Cant beleive i knew matt green when he was 18 years (im only 14, i knew him personally through Newport County soccer school!)

cambridge-united.jpg

I couldn't believe it. The team, when i joined, looked destined for relegation. No morale, no real 'characters', no nothing. But now they are a League 2 team. I had a week off after the play off final in which i mostly got bladdered with a few of the lads. I couldn't believe i had managed to get Cambridge promoted and win the FA Trophy in my first season of management. I had hundreds of letters and emails congratulating me and i replied to most as i felt i had to. I enjoyed the rest of my week off before the real work starts.

I arrived in my office to find a list of players who's contracts would end before the next campaign. There was a list of 15 players. My word, i couldn't afford to lose them, especially Matthew Harris and Nicky Travis. They were main factors in us winning promotion. The chairman came in to see me and said that he will give me a £35k transfer budget and £12,000 in wages per week to spend. I thought this would be great, a lot of money to spend. Most will have to be free agents though due to the small transfer budget to lead us to mid-table in League Two. I asked the players who's contracts up into my office 1 on 1. First was Matthew Harris. Scorer of 14 goals last season and he won player of the season. He came in with a smile on his face and looked in a good mood. I sat him down and began talks over a new contract. He asked for £600 per week which i thought was pretty reasonable. I tied him up an a 5 year deal. This was the real problem, each player who came in after Matthew wanted at least £300 over there last wage. This is something our club cannot afford to do, go spending big on wages and ending up in the red. 15 players come in to see me and 1 has got a contract. The rest will no longer be with us.

The rebuilding progress began. I scoured the free agents market for some good players. There was some brilliant players available who i thought we had realistic chances of buying. There was Steve Howard, Richard Cresswell, Stephen Bywater and many more. My assistant met up with all of the players i asked him to meet. There was Danny Shittu, Richard Cresswell, Stephen Bywater, Richard O'Donnell, Steve Howard, Jacob Walcott, Matt Oakley, George Boateng and a few others. My assistant returned saying not one player was willing to join us. It was a real sucker punch. We were down to the bare bones. We needed new players or we would be straight back into the conference. I rang up current Blackpool manager Kenny Jackett to see if we could have Neil Sutherland and Bob Harris on loan seen as they were our parent club. He said yes. I was delighted. Finally, we would be getting a few players in. I also made an offer for Pim Balkestein to join us again, which was also accepted. However, neither would be able to play in our first friendly.

295590083-16112010215622.jpg

At the end of pre-season we managed to lose 2 and draw 1 of our three games against Premier League/Championship opposition which i though was decent. I also felt that all my transfer dealings were done two weeks before the first game of the season due to players waiting for offers from teams in a higher division.

We lost 18 players this summer which i thought was extraordinary. Unbelievable. We managed to bring in 10 players and were looking for more 24 hours a day. The players who left the club all went on free's. Some released, some went to other clubs. The players who went were:

Tresor Kandol - Released
Danny Pugh - Released
Akpo Sodje - Released
Danny Naisbit - Released
Marvin Andrews - Released
Kevin Betsy - Released
Michael Wylde - Released
Michael Gash - Released
Tommy Evans - Released
James Jennings - Released
Alex Stockinger - Released
Stephen Stirling - Released
Jordon Patrick - Released
Josh Coulson - Kidderminster
Michael Roberts - Gateshead
Jack Eades - Llanelli

This made our wage budget about £20,000 and we could now attract those players who rejected us earlier on this pre-season. I was really happy with the transfers so far...

Romone Denton - Free (regen)
Tommy Spurr - £10,000
Matt Oakley - Free
Danny Shittu - Free
Craig Duguid - Free
Pim Balkestein - Loan
Craig Sutherland - Loan
Gregor Fotheringham - Free
Cecil Nyoni - Free
Rob Burch - Free
George Boateng - Free
Bob Harris - Loan
Dean Bouzanis - Free
John O'Sullivan - Free

We had got the experienced players now all we needed was some younger players to go in with them and i feel we have a great shot at a staying up.

Top signings for each position

35ic7c8.png

20f2qe1.png

9i7fro.png

34q63pg.png

Last edited:
This has been a great read so far, well done with promotion and good luck in league 2!

Great read, well done. Managed to get Ebbsfleet promoted 2 seasons on the bounce when they were tipped for relegation both times. But they got relegated season 3 when i left them November to take over at Sheff Utd who i got promoted.

Think you have the quality to do the same.

Great read, well done. Managed to get Ebbsfleet promoted 2 seasons on the bounce when they were tipped for relegation both times. But they got relegated season 3 when i left them November to take over at Sheff Utd who i got promoted.

Think you have the quality to do the same.

Thanks both of you. I hope i can get a double promotion, signs looking good so far for a mid table finish.

skysports.jpg

Cambridge secure deals for young prospects

James+Marcelin+Jeremy+Helan+Manchester+City+LgPgyOllhzDl.jpg

Helan was released this summer after failing to agree a new contract.

Cambridge have managed to sign three off the hottest prospects around, all on free transfers. Cambridge manager has said that all players are 'Talented and definitely destined for greater things'. He also admitted that he believes big clubs will come knocking for them and they may struggle to keep hold of the players. The first of the three players to join was former Manchester United and City, 19 year old, Frederic Vaseli. Vaseli plays at center back and he won the Under 17 World Cup with Switzerland in 2009. Vaseli is said to be 'excited' about playing football regularly and is worth upper of £250,000 and is one of the hottest prospects in Switzerland. The second player to join is former Manchester United academy product Davide Petrucci. The 20 year old joins on £2,700 p/w and expects to enjoy first team football in Cambridge. Petrucci is worth £475,000 and opted to join Cambridge over Burnley due to his first team expectations. The third prospect to join the club is versatile 20 year old Jeremy Helan. Helan left Manchester City this summer after failing to agree terms over a new contract after causing some controversy within the squad at the Ethiad stadium. No other clubs decided to take the risk at this moment and Helan had to drop three leagues to find a place where he can play first team football.

Last edited:
cambridge-united.jpg

August Update

0,,10423~5315269,00.jpg

Cambridge 3-2 Scunthorpe (Mole x2, Sutherland)

A great start by Cambridge to life in League 2. They got off to a poor start when Eddie Nolan nodded in in the 30th minute but in the 40th minute top scorer from last season with 20, Jamie Mole, scored to equalise. Sutherland on his return to the club used his lightning pace to beat the offside trap and score in the 50th minute and in the 79th minute Jamie Mole grabbed his second of the game with a tidy finish. Bobby Grant pulled a goal back in the 83rd minute for Scunthorpe but they left it too late.

Rochdale 3-2 Cambridge (Mole, Helan) (League cup 1st round)

Cambridge got of to a flyer when Mole scored a wonderful volley in the 7th minute to give Cambridge a good boost they needed. Rochdale hit back and scored 2 goals in three minutes to grab the lead. Cambridge's players looked shocked, upset and disappointed and they were back level in the 59th minute when Jeremy Helan scored a wonderful solo goal. However, in the 85th minute winger Jeremy Helan, who was moved to left back, scored an own goal to gift Rochdale a place in the 2nd round.

Bristol Rovers 1-1 Cambridge (Mole)

Bristol were looking to get back into League 1 at the second time of asking and started promisingly to this campaign. They were the better team for the majority of the match and were on course for three points when Nathanial Jarvis scored in the 79th minute to put them 1-0 up. However, star player, Jamie Mole, wasn't settling for that and scored in the dying seconds to salvage a point.

Cambridge 1-1 Barnet (Short OG)

Cambridge were truly awful in today game. They could barely string a set of passes together and were looking like the team they were before Southern joined. Ruben Reid got on the score sheet for Barnet with a well placed strike and he had the chance to double the lead but Rob Burch saved his poor penalty. Short, gifted Cambridge a point when he went to pass back to the keeper and he wasn't looking.

AFC Wimbledon 1-3 Cambridge (Mole, Helan, Shaw)

Cambridge bounced back from the poor run with a fine victory over mid table Wimbledon. Tom Shaw earned a penalty when he was tripped in the area. He stood up and tucked the penalty into the bottom corner of the goal. Exciting winger Jeremy Helan then doubled his sides advantage with yet another brilliant solo goal and he was soon turning into a fans favourite. Wimbledon grabbed a goal in the 78th minute through Max Porter but Jamie Mole scored in the 89th minute to secure three points.

Player of the month - Jamie Mole

0,,10289~3675303,00.jpg

Jamie carried on his form from last season when he joined in January as he scored 16 goals in 21 games and this month he scored 5 goals in as many games and many Cambridge fans idolise the striker who in 6 months has jumped two leagues from Blue Square North to Blue Square Premier to League Two and has scored consistently within each of those three leagues.

Well done mate. I've just got promoted to League Two. Keep up the good work.

Cheers, not going great for me ATM haha. Players just don't seem to gel anymore after a promising start.

cambridge-united.jpg

September update

0,,10423~5903608,00.jpg

Cambridge 4-1 Plymouth (Oakley, Denton x3)

A great performance from the players today. We took the lead through vice captain Matt Oakley with a 20 yard screamer. Plymouth equalised when we switched off and they ran through and placed it past our stranded keeper. At half time i decided to bring on 16 year old (regen) Romone Denton as a little bit of spark. Just 5 minutes in he put us 2-1 up when he met a Boateng cross and headed in. 20 minutes later it was 3-1 when he sprinted onto a long ball and chipped the keeper and he secured a hat-trick when he rounded the keeper and tapped in.

Hereford 1-0 Cambridge (Johnstones Paint Trophy round 1)

Poor game really. I rested a few first team players and it looked like we didn't even turn up. They dominated us which was slightly worrying and we never looked like scoring, mainly because top scorer Mole and youngster Denton were dropped.

Bradford 2-1 Cambridge (Helan)

A poor start cost us in this game. They took the lead through Kyel Reid when he dribbled past our defender, Tommy Spurr, with ease and slotted in. I subbed Spurr off straight away and that will be one of his last games for the club. They then doubled their lead through a peach of a goal when Fagan smashed it in. We did a little better in the second half but i was still frustrated and Jeremy Helan grabbed a goal late into the game to ease the goal difference.

Cambridge 3-3 Torquay (Mole x2, Olejnik OG)

Torquay were one place above us going into this game and we knew it wouldn't be easy. They took the lead through Rene Howe when he slid in at the back post in the 27th minute. Three minutes later, defender, Olejnik gave us a way back into the game when he put past his own keeper. In the 40th minute we got a penalty and our young 16 year old striker Romone Denton stepped up and missed. I was gutted for him. Jamie Mole got our second in the 45th minute with a neat finish but then in stoppage town Howe did it again. 2-2 at half time. Mark Ellis gave Torquay the lead in the 70th minute but Jamie Mole equalised in the 83rd minute to keep us in touching distance of the play-offs.

Macclesfield 0-1 Cambridge (Petrucci)

A decent game and we deserved the three points. Macclesfield did themselves no favours as they played really poor but in all honesty we weren't much better. We played some decent stuff and Petrucci got his first goal for the club when he curled in from 15 yards out to give us all three points.

Port Vale 1-1 Cambridge (Denton)

Port Vale were sat around 3 places above us and had won there last 4 games in a row and we were major underdogs. We got off to a flyer when Romone Denton rounded two players and slotted under an onrushing goalkeeper. We were comfortable for the rest of the half and the majority of the second half but there key striker Richards popped up once again to earn the opposition a point.

Cambridge 2-2 Burton (Mole, Riggot OG)

An end to end game which had lots of chances in which both teams wasted. Burton were two nil up within ten minutes with two good and well taken goals which put us an a real downer going into half time. We weren't playing well and were slipping down the table. We got a goal back in the 50th minute when Riggot scored an own goal which seemed to lift the players and then in the 70th minute Jamie Mole popped up and scored the equaliser.

Player of the month - Romone Denton

33m4tow.png

4 goals for the 16 year old and his performances have improved massively over this month and is pushing for a first team place in the future.

Sorry, just had two months of updates on and lost them so i cba to so them again. These are my most recent results (Currently 10th in the league):
afk650.png
Best player - Jamie mole
33yszl5.png

cambridge-united.jpg

It was the eve of a massive game at the top of the table between us, Cambridge, and Swindon. They were trying to push into the top two of the league whilst we were trying to consolidate ourselves a playoff place. Training was at 11am and i couldn't sleep the night before and was up at 8am. I decided to have a fry up which couldn't of gone better, sausage, bacon, egg, the lot. I tucked into it and had my pen and paper next to me as i scribbled down possible line ups and set pieces to train today. At about 9.30am I gathered my tracksuit and headed off to the training ground. I was looking forward to a sunny day playing football.

I arrived at the training ground, showered, and got my tracksuit on. I waited for the players to come and i just sat thinking of what drills we can do today to make us beat high flying Swindon. I heard the door swing open and i thought it would be Jamie (Mole) as he normally comes in a little early to practise his shooting and penalties. However, i was met by the chairman. Had i done something wrong? My heart was literally in my mouth. He told me to go into his office and get the assistant manager to take over training for the time being.

I went up to his office at the ground and i knocked on the door. I heard mumbling and two or three different voices then the door opened. " Hello Joseph" he said. I replied with a cautious "Hi". I sat down opposite his desk and tow men, both in suits, were sat opposite me. I had never seen them before so this really baffled me and my head was all over the place.

Gumphers-blog-space.jpg

"Joseph, i have brought you here today as these two men would like to talk some thing over with you" the chairman said
"Erm, yes okay. What about?" i replied
"You'll find out soon enough. It could be great for you"
"I don't know what to think if i am honest" *slight laughter*​

The chairman and one of the men left the room. I had never been so awkward in my life. Who was this man i was with? Was i getting a pay rise? I was thinking things over when he leant over to shake my hand. I returned the gesture.

"Hello" he said
"Hello, i dont mean to sound rude, but, who are you?"
"I am a representive from West Ham, i am here to talk to you about the current vacancy at our club"
"Oh right" i gulped
"We would like to offer you the job to try and get us into the Premier League. We are really impressed with your work at Cambridge and we can offer you £2,400 p/w and £325,000 to spend. Do you accept the offer?"
"Wow. I am shocked. I think this is an offer that most managers would jump at. West Ham are a great club. Taking everything into consideration, i am sorry but i have to reject the offer. I don't think i am experienced enough for a team chasing promotion to league one. Cambridge are my current team and i have to stay loyal to the chairman" i said politely
"It's fine. Thanks for your time"​

He left the room then the chaiman rejoined me. He said "Joseph, listen to me, this is a great opportunity for you. Take it with both hands id you feel the offer is right. You're a great manager and i would be sad to see you leave. However, I honestly think you should take the job elsewhere." Now i was a little baffled. The chairman wanted me to go? was there a man lined up to replace me? Did they really want me at this club? I had to take everything into consideration and the next man came in.

"Hello Joseph, nice to meet you."
"Hello, the same to you"
"Okay, lets get straight to the point. I am from Crystal Palace and as you may know we're 10th in League 1 and have recently sacked our manager. We believe you are the manager best suited to take our club forward and we can offer you £1,700 p/w and a decent transfer kitty at League 1 level. I know you've rejected West Ham, which was a shock to me, but i would love it if you can join us?"
"Thanks for the offer but, i feel i have a responsibility here at Cambridge. However, i feel that Crystal Palace would be a good club to manage and i would like to accept the offer"
"Great. I'll be in touch again"

204px-Crystal_Palace.svg.png

​Crystal Palace. A new chapter in my career.