From Sarajevo - Bosnia and Herzegovinian story

joeWFC

Reaction score
(I'm Welsh btw;)). Of course by the name this is a Bosnia&Herzegovina story.

File:Flag_of_Bosnia_and_Herzegovina.svg

Bosnia and Herzegovina is a fairly new national team, which played it's first international match in 1993, beating Iran 3-1. Their biggest win was a 7-0 trouncing of Estonia in 2007, the side have never qualified for a major competition, I hope to change that. Their star player is Edin Dzeko, but they have some other decent players like Miralem Pjanic and Zvjezdan Misimovic.

July 2009 -
Bosnia and Herzegovina coach Safet Susic resigns from the position due to family commitements. The fans of Bosnia are looking forward to see who the BFA appoint as new coach.

After a week of waiting, the BFA have unveiled a new coach! But he is an unknown man, who can't even speak Bosnian. Welshman Paul Gough will take charge of the team from now, with a play-off place for the World Cup up for grabs!

"I have always dreamed of becoming an international manager, I'm just speechless. I can't speak a word of Bosnian, but I will eventually learn it. My assisstant, Elvir, can speak English so I will tell him the tactics etc for each game until I am confident of speaking the language my squad speak. I hope that the players can speak some English, or even Welsh! Now moving away from languages, I hope to take this country to major tournaments, like the upcoming World Cup in South Africa, and Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine. Of course it won't be easy but I love a good challenge!"

August 2009
Gough's first match incharge of B&H is a friendly against Oceanian side New Zealand. He names a strong line-up and this is the outcome..

Bosnia and Herzegovina 3 (Misimovic 61', Muslimovic 66', Pjanic 69') New Zealand 0.
A positive performance from the Bosnians here! Edin Dzeko picked up a knock just before the break so he had to be subbed, luckily it was not serious and would be fit for the next game vs Armenia. Misimovic eventually opened the scoring as he slotted home after good work from Pjanic, Zlatan Muslimovic made it 2 5 minutes later as he was through on goal, and smashed it home. Before another 3 minutes later Miralem Pjanic blasted home from a tight angle. Nice second half performance from Bosnia without Dzeko. Man of the Match - Zlatan Muslimovic (7.8)

Thanks for reading if I haven't bored you yet:)End of 2009 updates coming tomorrow..

Last edited: