joma1108

Reaction score
FROM SEAHORSES TO SUPERSTARDOM
DIARY OF A NON LEAGUE MANAGER
My story will be about a provincial clubs rise from the lower leagues to Premier League glory and beyond, and will be told from a first hand perspective, I start as a sunday league footballer so no helping hand, Hope you enjoy and any feedback welcome.

-----Chapter 1-----
The Introduction
We start in Level 9 of the football league in the Northern League Division 1 with Whitley Bay

Press conference gathers for the arrival of the new man, when I appear I look into the room and there are two reporters….seems like I stirred up a bit of interest.....or not.

Questions are put across and the same old qusetions and cliches and to honest it was a little bit underwhelming, im here to embark on the greatest challenge this club has ever seen.

I’m here to take Whitley Bay to the Premier League…and beyond

Reporter: How do you intend to do that
Me: through hard work, Determination and the support of the fans, The town and ultimately the board

Reporter: Whitley Bay are a club who have never been higher than the Northern Premier League, do you think your aim is realistic
Me: Absolutely I wouldn’t have said it if I don’t mean it.

Reporter: Whitley Bay is an amateur club and your players can leave the club for free if they want to how do you expect to hold on to them if bigger clubs come sniffing.
Me: If we achieve our aims, why would you want to leave and I’m not in the business of keeping players who want away

As the reporters are packing up I call them back as I have one more point I that would like to address

“as I have stated my aim is to move Whitley Bay from the northern league Division 1 to the Premier League, I would like to do that as quickly as is possible, what I haven’t told you is that along the way I will pay the exact sum of ZERO in transfer fees, I will not pay loan fees either.

I will only sign youth players or free contracts or Bosman, where I am loaning any players I will only pay wage costs and no ancillary fees such as weekly contributions to the parent club.
This club suffered through financial difficulty and i will not be one who will be party to that in future.

I need the support of the board to allow me to achieve these aims through time by ensuring that our facilities are commensurate with this policy.

Thank you for your attendance

I smiled as I walked away, if that doesn’t get them talking nothing will.

THE CLUB
CLUB HISTORY
Whitley Bay Football Club (also known as The Bay, or The Seahorses) are an English football club based in the North-East of England near ‘the Toon’ . The present Whitley Bay Football Club was formed in 1950 and was known as Whitley Bay Athletic.
Whitley Bay play their home matches at Hillheads Park, which is adjacent to the Whitley Bay Ice Rink in Whitley Bay and has a maximum capacity of 4,500.
The club spent most of the 1990s playing in the Northern Premier League, since then, the club suffered following financial problems and they were relegated. They now play in the Northern League Division One.

HONOURS
  • FA Vase
    • Winners 2002, 2009, 2010, 2011
  • Northern Premier League
    • Division One Champions 1990–91
    • Division One Cup Winners 1988–89, 1990–91
  • Northern League
    • Champions 1964–65, 1965–66, 2006–07
    • Runners-up 1959–60, 1966–67, 1968–69, 1969–70
    • Challenge Cup Winners 1965, 1971
  • Northumberland Senior Cup
    • Winners 1953, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1973, 1987, 2005, 2010
    • Runners-up 1954, 1955, 1956, 1966, 1977, 1986, 1991, 2003
Clearly this is a club that has a recent tradition of doing well in the one off cup competitions

The Playing Squad

First things first, let’s take a look at the playing squad and immediately there were grave reservations.

I needed a total clear out as very few of my players would make the grade, rather than have a mass exodus I would do this gradually and try to address each area when I needed to and when players were available.

Goalkeepers were not the greatest but then again neither was most in the league so we would have to make do unless something special came my way.

Defensively we look ok with plenty of cover in depth all of a comparative level of quality, a few decent youngsters.

I think defensively I would be fairly strong and not leak to many goals….famous last words

Midfield and attack were the real areas of concern

A quick delve into the free transfer market and I managed to pick up a few recruits that I hoped would strengthen the pool of players.
Jamar Dobson – ST - 18 year old - released by Stoke City
Vincent Pericard - ST - 30 year old journeyman - released from Havant & Waterlooville
Gomez Dali - ST – 24 Year old Argentinian / English and looks a good prospect released by Woking
Patrick Nzuzi – DR - 21 year old - released by Newcastle United

Expectations
The board showed a real lack of ambition by stating that a mid table finish would be acceptable to them, maybe I was at the wrong club.

The odds had put Whitley bay as mid table also, with Darlington, Spennymoor Town and West Auckland Town as front runners

With only one place up for grabs in terms of promotion opportunity, this was going to be a tough season….but then again so were they all going forward we just need to dig deep and get on with it.

Team meeting was called and fairly productive as I indicated my desire to challenge for promotion.

The Friendlies

Tow Law Town (Northern League Division 2) a comfortable 2-1 victory set us on our way, we created a huge amount of chances but couldn’t put them away and a late goal put a blip on the result

Selkirk (East of Scotland League) Were next and another 2-1 win and much more comfortable than the scoreline suggested

South Shields (Northern League Division 1) Local Rivals 7 miles across town were next up and a comprehensive 3-1 result set an early marker for the club

Durham City (northern Football League Division 1) Another team from our division would give me a better understanding of what lay ahead, and a fantastic display from new Argentinian signing Gomez Dali – Hat Trick hero on his debut scoring all goals in a fine 3-0 win rounded of a superb pre season for us 4 victories from 4 games.

I was quietly confident that things would go well.

View attachment 305936

-----Chapter 2-----
Northern League Division 1 Season 2013

To Be Continued

I found myself wishing i'd allowed myself free transfers in my game a few times. Looking forward to this and good luck :)

I found myself wishing i'd allowed myself free transfers in my game a few times. Looking forward to this and good luck :)

Yes i have read your exploits with great interest and is the inspiration for this story, although imitation is the greatest form of flattery i didnt want to copy your story verbatim as there is only one original :)

If i have half the success you have had i will be delighted

Yes i have read your exploits with great interest and is the inspiration for this story, although imitation is the greatest form of flattery i didnt want to copy your story verbatim as there is only one original :)

If i have half the success you have had i will be delighted

You just need to be careful with being amatuer, a few of the other guys have struggled after players have ran off. That said i suppose that's what the free's are for!

You just need to be careful with being amatuer, a few of the other guys have struggled after players have ran off. That said i suppose that's what the free's are for!

Exactly, thats why i have the free transfer option as reading other guys who have had amateur clubs it makes it difficult, but im in it for the long haul hopefully so onwards and upwards.

-----Chapter 2-----

Northern League Division 1 Season 2013

First Fifteen Games
First report 15 games in, we sit mid table and not reallyimpressing anyone, I am finding goals difficult to come by although our defenceis more than capable, we need to start converting our chances to move up thetable

Highlights
4-0 Victory against Halesowen Town in the Northern League Challenge Cup

Lows
3-2 defeat after a replay to Eton Manor in the Fa Vase - a very poor result

View attachment 306344
Next 15 games Starts badly with two losses on the bounceboth 1-0 to Billingham and Darlington respectively, two teams higher than us inthe division but only poor finishing cost us.

A win in the northerncup after a replay against Penrith brings a little comfort to a dismal start tothe campaign

We are humiliated 1-0 by bottom club Norton & StocktonAncients, the lack of composure in front of goal is causing us no end ofproblems

We go undefeated for the next 10 games with 5 Wins and 5Draws, 17 goals for – 5 against

Highlights 5-0 v Matlby Main, 4-a1 V Ashington & 5 – 0 VSunderland Ryhope

Lows – Defeat to Norton & Stockton Ancients 0 -1

View attachment 306345
The Youth Intake
My first intake from the youth squad yields some promisingresults

Matty Hunt– 15 Year old striker, Determination, composure, work Rate and off the ball aregood, shows a nasty side though which will have to be watch
edView attachment 306328

Steve Talbut– 16 Year old Right midfielder – a real star in the making as far as I amconcerned,. Brave, Determined, good first touch and flair in abundance, again anasty streak, I will struggle to hold onto him – straight into the first teampool
View attachment 306327
Dil Dennis– 16 Year old Central midfielder – Good all round stats, determined, Brave,creative with good passing abilities and technique, takes a good corner kick –again into the first team pool and might struggle to hold onto him also throughtime another one to watch
View attachment 306325
Colin Coates– 16 year Goalkeeper – Not the greatest but then again in my team there isn’tmuch competition
Weak handling but communicates effectively, can rush out,good concentration, start in the youths and al ot of training and we will see – Good back up
View attachment 306324

Alex Fox –15 year old Striker – nowhere near ready for the first team but has some statsthat intrigue me, Determined, good flair and influence, work rate is ok, startin the youths and possible first team candidate
View attachment 306323
One note of real concern is the interest shown in my bestplayer

Elikem Amenku– 18 Year old Central Midfielder, although his performances are not always topnotch is one of the first names on the teamsheet every week as one of the mostconsistent, his stats are steadily increasing and I’m hoping that we getpromotion and see
if we can hold onto him for the next big push

.View attachment 306326

THE FINAL PUSH

Last edited:
THE FINAL PUSH
Were at the business end of the season and it all rests onthe next few months, we need to show more composure in front of goal and putteams away.

Northern Challenge Cup Quarter final – Matlock Town 0 –Whitley Bay 1
A good result and Vincent Pericard our French striker is ontarget

The next 5 games yields 1 victory and 4 draws, thestalemates are beginning to hurt us although we don’t lose any ground on the leaderssurprisingly and move into 4th place.

Stamford FC are the opponents in the Northern Challenge CupSemi final. First leg at home and we take the lead through Mark Nolan however alate leveller means we are still in the tie but its advantage Stamford

A draw against Newton Aycliffe stretches our unbeaten runbut its 5 draws in 5 now in all competitions.

2nd Leg V Stamford FC approaches and its doom andgloom around the place as we can’t see where a victory is coming from.

Lewis Tallack Scores the only goal of the game in a hardfought 1-0 victory
View attachment 306346
We were in our first final under my stewardship.

4 victories in 5 Games including full points against leagueleaders Spennymoor and a draw against 2nd place Darlington despitescoring what looked like the winner in 87th minute only to see theDarlington equaliser in the 92nd minute dent our hopes of fullpoints.

The final was just around the corner and Premier LeagueChorley was the opponents.

View attachment 306347

WE HAD DONE IT!!!

Not the prettiest of games but our first piece of silverware

This victory was in the middle of a fantastic run 11 wins in12 games in all competitions and just the one draw.
View attachment 306348
This put us into 2nd place with one gameremaining 2 points behind Spennymoor Town and 1 point ahead of Darlington

IT ALL COMES DOWN TO 90 MINUTES
We have West Auckland Town at home in the last game of theseason and Spennymoor Town host Darlington
View attachment 306350
We need Darlington to win to have any chance of going up, westill need to do our job and win.

The game kicks off and it’s the worst possible Start as WestAuckland Town Take the lead, news filters through Spennymoor Town are 1-0 upalso

The last push that got us here and we were going to fall atthe last hurdle….but wait Darlington have equalised there is still a chance

We change from 4-1-4-1 that has brought us so much successin the last games and move to an
offensive 3-4-1-2 it was all or nothing

We were rewarded with an equaliser by right midfoelder BenMckenna on 44 minutes
Darlington were 2-1 up now also

HT
Whitley Bay – 1 West Auckland Town -1
Spennymoor Town – 1 Darlington -2

As it stood Darlington were in 1st place

We hammered the West Auckland Town goal and all to no availuntil – GOAL!!!!!!! 70 Minutes
Joe Kilburn has put the ball past his own Keeper we were inthe driving seat

Darlington were cruising 3-1 by this stage we had to keep infront and hope there was no collapse by Darlington

Do we push on or sit back, I decided that if we were going togo down it would be through attacking……GOAL!!!!!!!
Ben McKenna on 76 minutes with his second of the game we hada cushion now.

Keep the ball and don’t do anything silly was the shout.

We survived a late scare when West Auckland had the ball inthe net only to be ruled out for offside
View attachment 306351
Final whistle went……WE HAD DONE THE DOUBLE!!!!

The whole town came out to celebrate and what a celebrationit was.

Next season we would be in the Northern Premier League

I had received some worrying news that my squad was going tobe decimated, scouts were all over my double winning team.

I would have to see what pre season held for me

The players were sent on holiday and I started to plan forour assault on the premier league.

-----CHAPTER 3-----
NORTHER PREMIERLEAGUE 1ST DIVISION NORTH

-----CHAPTER 3-----

NORTHERN PREMIER LEAGUE 1ST DIVISION NORTH
After the highs of the last season it was down to business.

I was called into the chairmans office and got a pleasant surprise
View attachment 306757View attachment 306758

6 friendles and a 'glamour' match against Newcastle United Under 18, we played well but fell short with a 2-0 reverse

Our pre season didngt go well with no victories in any of our games, we would need to show some more drive and determination in the league.
View attachment 306764

First was to try to hold onto all our players on contracts however they were all asking silly money which we couldnt afford and the vultures were circling.

View attachment 306767

This was a huge blow that the core of our team had gone.

The odds have us at 6-1 and promotion contenders, might be a push considering the players we have lost but we will see
View attachment 306766
Our league form was much more pleasing and the first 6 games had us sitting in second place on 12 points and undefeated.
View attachment 306762View attachment 306763

a small bonus in our first match
View attachment 306765

Next update to follow

Northern Premier League 1st Division North
Our assualt on the Northern Premier League had begun.

15 games in and were struggling 5 wins and 7 draws was not going to win any league although only 3 defeats meant we were hard to beat 8 points behind the leaders we were in touch
View attachment 307141

our cup form deserted us and we were knocked out at the first time of asking in the challenge cup, the league was our priority so we were not to disheartened.

we stuck to our 4-4-2 formation and after 29 games we had moved up to 7th place on on 47 points, we were very inconsistent winning 8 and losing 5 in that period, we had moved up to 7th place but 15 points of the pace.
View attachment 307146

We were leaking goals when we shouldn't and moved to a 5-4-1 attacking formation, we would see over the next few games how that went.

5 games later after 34 matches played it was all change, top of the table Radcliffe Borough lost 5 on the bounce and dropped to 7th.

We picked up 11 points from a possible 15 and sat proudly at the top of the league albeit on goal difference with 3 wins and 2 draws.

View attachment 307158

with 8 games remaining we were in control of our own destiny

38 games in and we had won 2 drawn 1 and lost 1 with 7 points out of 12 not bad form but not enough to keep us in the top spot

We had dropped to 5th, 2 points behind Mossley who had picked up 10 points from 12 as had Witton albion who were on the second only on goal difference.

View attachment 307159

Things were hotting up with 4 games to go there were only 2 points seperating the top 5 teams, our fixture run in was arguably the hardest but it meant our destiny was in our own hands, if we could win our last 4 games we were promoted, well we did need Salford City to slip up, however they were undefeated in their last 4 games, this was going to go the distance.

View attachment 307160

WHITLEY BAY 2014 FIXTURE LIST
12th April - AFC Liverpool - Currently 4th on 65 Points
19th April - Warrington Town - Currently 19th on 38 Points
26th April Mossley - Currently 1st on 67 Points
3rd May - Witton Albion - Currently 2nd on 38 Points

Although we werent winning pretty we were winning.

NEXT REPORT TO FOLLOW

Last edited:
Oh now back to back promotion is certainly on there!

4 GAMES TO GO AND ALL TO PLAY FOR

We had 4 games to go that would shape our entire season.

We had to remain resolute and determined.

after a lot of deliberation we decicided to stick witht he 5-4-1 formation that had brought us so much success in the last 15 games or so with only one defeat in that time.

every game was tight but we were just on the winning side most of the time.

AFC Liverpool V Whitley Bay
We played 4th Place AFC Liverpool and needed a result to put pressure on the teams above us
View attachment 307320

First fixture done and a good 2-1 victory, we had started well

3 Games to go

19th Place Warrington Town were the next team in our way

Warrington V Whitley Bay
View attachment 307321

We won the match 3-0 and looked comfortable but that doesnt tell the whole story. we were outplayed, outclassed we managed 3 shots on target and scored from each one.

This was a huge let off and a strong word was had after the game that this level of performance was not acceptable.

The whole team responded positively and that was a relief as this could have backfired enormously.

2 games to go and we had two of the three teams above us left to play, Salford City were still hanging in there.

Whitley Bay V Mossley
This was a dour midfield battle with only three shots on target
View attachment 307324

We were winning ugly but at least we were winning

With one game to go the table looked like this
View attachment 307326

We were sitting top of the league and it was 1st V 2nd
Salford City were in third place 1 point behind and playing 11th place Curzon Ashton so any one of three could win the title and the only promotion place up for grabs.

It was all or nothing.

We were at home which was a huge advantage.

The permutations were whoever wone our game would be crowned champions

If we drew and salford won they were champions

if both games were tied then we were in pole position

Our only aim was a victory

Whitley Bay V Witton Albion

Curzon Ashton V Salford City

We started nervously and were under pressure although there was no real threat to our goal.

News filtered through that Salford City had taken the lead at Curzon Ashton, as things stood Salford City would go up.

DISASTER......WITTON ALBION HAD SCORED..................

Half time

Whitley Bay - 0 Witton Albion -1
Curzon Ashton - 0 Salford City -1

It was still in our hands, we needed a victory.
there was an expectant crowd inside Hillhead Park and were urging us on, DO IT FOR THE FANS AND YOURSELF was the half time team talk

2nd Half

GOAL.....GOAL.....GOAL.

A goal but it wasnt for Whitley Bay....Curzon Ashton had equalised against Salford city

As things stood it was Witton Albion who would be promoted.

..............GOALFLASH.................

63 minutes and a goal at Hillhead park.........Whitley Bay -1 Witton Albion - 1 we were back in the game

As things stood we were promoted.

should we push forward or go counter attacking and hope Salford City dont go back in front, its not in my nature, we pressed on looking for the winner and guarantee our place in the Northern Premier League.

GOOOOAAAAALLLLLLLLL......................

80 Minutes - Curzon Ashton 2 - Salford City - 1

It didnt change anything we were still in pole position by the slenderest of margins, Witton Albion were pushing forward and leaving gaps.

I pushed to full backs forward fight attack with attack Patrick Nzuzi had got to the byeline the cross came in GOMEZ DALI with the header........................GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

We were in front, the crowd went wild the players were in a mass heap in the corner the referee trying to get the game restarted it was pandemonium

86 minutes Whitley Bay 2 - Witton Albion -1

Unless a massive collapse it was ours

We moved to a defensive mode and told to retain possesion

GOAL....GOAL....GOAL..... Witton Albion

88 minutes Witton Albion had equalised....it was going to be a tense few minutes,.......no wait the flag is up its not going to count

This had knocked the stuffing out of Witton Albion, the final whistle went

........................WE WERE CHAMPIONS......................

View attachment 307327

Back to back promotions for Whitley Bay and they were in the Northern Premier League

We had our biggest ever crowd into Hillheads Park and we sent the fans home happy,
View attachment 307332

We had won the league by 4 points but in truth it was a lot closer than that

it was almost a carbon copy of last season, a strong start, falter in the middle and then go on a massive run to come from nowhere.

We were 15 points behind at one point however a run of only one defeat in 21 games was championship winning form.

We showed he have a grit and determination about us.

NEXT ....OUR NORTHERN PREMIER LEAGUE ADVENTURE

Last edited:
.....CHAPTER 4.....

After the exploits of our previous two seasons it was down to business again, i would look to retain those players i thought could do a job and get rid of the deadwood.

I decided to have a tough and commercialy positive pre season, in the hope that i could get my youth facilities upgraded.

After a lot of asking a a fair few rejections my pre season looked a bit like this

All home games as the board would not let me travel.

Scottish Premier League - Hibernian
Scottish Div 1 v Raith Rovers
Scottish Div 1 v The Rangers
Scottish Premier League v Dundee United

I wasnt concerned about the reults and it was more a moneymaking excerciser and if we got anything fromthe games i would be happy.

How would we do, answers on a postcard to the usual address :)

Whitley Bay V Hibernian

........TO FOLLOW

.....Chapter 4.....
Season 2014 - 2015
Norther Premier Division
Pre season
Scottish Premier League - Hibernian
A great start to the pre season, despite being under pressure for most of the game a our young left midfielder Colin Sadler popped up in the 93rd minute to ****** a victory

Scottish Div 1 v Raith Rovers
A goal midway through the second half looked to have us in good stead howeve a late goal meant a draw was all that was on offer

Scottish Div 1 v The Rangers
Although in the scottish first division Rangers would provide a tough test and we escaped with a 2-0 defeat, seriously outclassed in this game although we had two goals dissalowed so could have been a bit closer game.

Scottish Premier League v Dundee United
We went into this game confident due to our good pre season form and quietly confident, we left this late again but a goial in the 90th minute from striker Jamar Dobson gave us a well earned victory and we played really well in this game and deserved the victory

2 Wins 1 Draw and 1 Defeat against vastly superior opposition, this was a positive pre season and i was quietly confident barring injuries that we would compete in this league

our aim was a play off spot.

The promotion odds had been released
View attachment 310872

Chasetown 7-4 favourites and we were second favourite at 3-1, i didnt agree with that but wass still expecting good things from this season.

Our squad was threadbare and despite in positions 1-11 being acceptable we had no strenght in depth.

despite searching far and wide and making several offers to many players we came up empty handed, we would just have to play to our strengths and rotate sensibly and hope to get through the season.

THE LEAGUE
View attachment 310873

11 games in and we were punching above our weight sitting in 4th place, only 2 defeats had given us a sound platform to build on.

FA QUALIFYING CUP

I had high hopes as we were decent lower league cup side, could we make it to the first round proper in our very first outing.

FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round
View attachment 310875

A comfortable 4-0 victory set us on our way

FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round
Prescott Cables were the next challenge

A 1-1 draw away from home and we took them back to Hillheads Park

View attachment 310876

2-0 victory and we were within reach of the first round proper.

The draw wasnt kind however would give us a chance to see where we were.

FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

View attachment 310877

We took the lead inside 3 minutes however it was backs to the wall stuff and despite having a good account of ourselves or FA Cup dream was over for another yer

We could hold our heads up high but just not to be

We played reserves in the other cup games as these were not on the agenda for this season.t

keeping as high up in the league was our aim.

we were still struggling to put eams away and drawing far too many games

with 6 games remaining we were sitting in the play off position as we had wanted
View attachment 310878View attachment 310879

We were in 4th place with 62 points , with no chance of an automatic spot as buxton were 6 points clear of second and 15 ahead of us.

we were 6 points off third and one defeat could potentially drop us to 8th place if results went against us so we had to be on our toes.

Remaining fixtures
Whitby Town - 16th Position on 42 Points
Blyth Spartans - 17th Position on 40 Points
Workington - 8th Position on 55 Points
Rushall Olympics - 19th Position on 35 points
Frickley Athletic 20th Position on 30 Points
AFC Flyde - 7th position on 60 Points

Our run in didnt look the hardest on paper however playing 4 teams who were potentially in danger of relegation does not help us. and the other teams were looking for a play off spot, this was going to be tough, but we have been here before, could we pull it off three times in a row.

Would we hold on to our play off spot?

MORE TO FOLLOW.......................

I will continue to follow this little story of yours, can't wait to see Seahorses in Premiership... ;)

Chapter 4
Season 2014 - 2015
THE RUN IN

Well we were at that time again.

back at the business end of the season and with 4 games to go, sitting 4th in the table in the play off position

We won our last two games against Whitby town and Blyth Spartans 2-0 and should have been much more but poor finishing could ultimately have cost us of the 4 goals scored in those games 3 were from defenders at set pieces.

we weren't good at putting teams away when we had the chance although our defence was solid for the most part.

Workington were the opponents with 4 games to go, they were in 7th place just outside the play off position, this was going to be a tough one, but a victory any victory would give us some breathing space.
View attachment 311091

Where did that result come from, a day when it all clicked when it mattered a comprehensive 5-1 victory and a great performance. This would give the lads confidence.

Rushall Olympics struggling for form, goals and results were next, this on paper should be a walkover.

A 55th minute penalty was all that seperated the sides, thankfully for us.

Results had went our way we were now in 2nd spot.

One more victory to seal our play off position

Bottom club Frickley Athletic were the opponents and we were in a run of good form.

We were hammered 3-1 and dropped to 4th position, this was not the result we were looking for and i let the players know and got a very positive response.

Word had came through that AFC Flyde had been beaten and now couldnt catch us or 5th place Marine., we had achieved our pre season aim of the play offs.
View attachment 311093

Our next game was against Flyde and the barnstorming game anticipated for a play off place was now a damp squib.

In preparation for our play off game i rested the entire 16 players and played a mixture of youth and reserves that were going to be released at the end of the season, to be honest this should have been a massive defeat however my eye was on the bigger prize.

Surprisingly we came away with a 3-2 defeat and played reasonably well, maybe the no hopers i had put in for this game had a part to play after all.

our final standings looked like this
View attachment 311094View attachment 311095

We finished in 4th place and the draw for the play offs pitted us against Worksop Town

Northern Premier League Play Off Semi Final 1st Leg
View attachment 311096

Our previous two meetings with Worksop Town had resulted in odd goal wins 2-1 & 3-2 so it was going to be tigh but we were confident

The players looked fresh after their rest and were raring to go.

A drab an uninspiring 0-0 draw away from home certainly showed our attacking frailties althopugh the defence once again was solid

PLAY OFF SEMI FINAL 2ND LEG

The 2nd leg was now upon us and a good 90 minutes would see us in the final.

Despite having 7 shots on target to Worksop town 1 we finished the game 0-0
An axtra 30 minutes couldnt seperate the teams.

it was stand up and be counted time.

PENALTIES
View attachment 311099

We went through 4-2 on penalties and were in the 2 legged final

Who would we play

View attachment 311100

Ilkeston town had beaten Marine 1-0 and 2-1 for a 3-1 aggregate win they were on a high

Northern Premier League Play Off Final 1st Leg
Ilkeston Town V Whitley Bay

We had won 1 and lost 1 v Ilkeston town and they had finished the season 10 points better off than us so again would be tight .

We were drawn away from home in the first leg and it was our intention to keep it tight and hit on the break.
View attachment 311106

An alex Gilliead goal midway through the first half and then a lay off for Patrick Nzuzi gave us a deserved two goal advantage going into the second leg, 2 goals from our only 2 shots on target, finally we were putting teams away.

We had one foot in the Blue Square North, 90 minutes and we were there.
View attachment 311114

We went down 1-0 but it didnt matter we had done all the hard work in the first leg, a fine 2-1 aggregate victory and promotion was finally ours.

3 Seasons in and Back to Back to Back Promotions - THE DREAM LIVES ON

We were at the highest position the club had ever been in.

A long hard season and our frailties were exposed, we needed strength in depth as much as we could afford.

We would need to look for some new players to bolster the squad as far too often we were playing players that should have been rested.

A goalkeeper to challenge for a first team place, two wing backs to allow a change in formation, a 20 goal a season striker (where would i find one of them!!) and two wide midfielders.

This was going to be a tough ask.....but we had some cash spare to invest in player wages.......

that was until we got this news
View attachment 311116

So the nest season was going to be tougher than expected, we would need to look at the loan market and see what we could get to help us

to follow
The pre season Transfer Dealing & Pre season results

Last edited:
Chapter 5
BLUE SQUARE NORTH
Unchartered Waters​

So Here we were in our highest ever league, the Blue Square North, i was happy with what we had achieved but this was going to be a tough season, we needed to strengthen the squad and didnt have much opportunity to do so.

Most of our transfer targets were not interested and te loan players wer laughing in our faces.

We started pre season with a scottish Flavour again, playing Celtic & Heart of Midlothian and Bury

Bury were first up and a respectable 1-1 draw courtesy of Full Back Patrick Nzuzi

Next were Heart of Midlothian and this turned into a rout.....for the seahorses, we raced to a 3-0 lead and didnt look like giving it up, although a friendly this was the greatest result ever achieved by the club and the fans went home stunned but ecstatic.

Scottish Champions Celtic were next and the step up in class was all too apparent, still a 3-1 defeat was respectable considering some of the hidings that Celtic had given out the previous season to their scottish counterparts.2

1 of each flavour in our pre season results and it wasnt bad considering

Blue Square North
The season odds were in

View attachment 312293

Season Aim - Play Off

after 15 league games we had 24 points and were sitting in 7th place 3 points off the play off positions

View attachment 312299
We had introduced two new signings who would fit in well

View attachment 312296View attachment 312295

FA CUP.
Our aim was to get into the first round proper, one better than last season

2nd Qualifying Round V Kendal Town and a James Yeboah header was all that seperated the teams and we were fortunate to go through

3rd Qualifying Round v Cray Wanderers and a 3-1 victory was recorded although it was 3 going on 10

4th Qualifying Round had a stern test agains BSQ side Havant and Waterlooville - a 3-2 victory and new signing Adam Handling 3rd goal in 4 games was the odd goal in 5 in this game to put us into the first round proper.

FA Cup Round 1

We were drawn against league 2 Port Vale and there was a quiet confidence about the squad.
This was a momentous occasion for the club and the whole town was buzzing, we would be taking a fair few fans with us.

We were massive underdogs but gave it all we had

View attachment 312300

We had scored a goal in the 61st minute to take the lead and were matching port vale, this was our moment we were going to do it, however a cruel twist of fate when captain Patrick Nzuzi had a poor pass on the edge of the penalty area to let Loft in to score the equaliser with 3 minutes remaining.

It wasnt all doom and gloom though we could take them back to hillheads and hopefully put them through the wringer there.

We got a welcome boost both financial and in exposure.
View attachment 312301

FA CUP ROUND 1 Replay - Hillheads park was rocking for the visit of the Valiants

We go out in front of the camera looking to put up a good show and maybe upset the odds.

We went in front through inspirational captain Patrick Nzuzi 5 minutes into the second half and things again are looking good. this time we had to keep it tight.
View attachment 312302

Class and fitness ultimately told in the end and port vale ran out 2-1 winners albeit a sickener again late in the game when it looked like we may go to extra time.

We enjoyed a good FA cup run but i hoped it wouldnt distract us from our league challenges ahead.

FA Trophy and we fared considerably worse in this comopetition going out at the first time of asking a 3-3 draw after being 2-0 up wasnt what we were looking for

We losst the replay 1-0 to gainsborough trinity, however the silver lining was it was now the league or nothing, and it was less games for our threadbare squad to have to cope with.

26 Games into the leage and we had picked up 46 points to put us into 4th place which was good enough for the play offs, 6 wins on the bounce was good form
View attachment 312305View attachment 312309

Despite picking up only 7 points from a possible 15 we had risen to 3rd in the league, we were still in with a decent chance of autiomatic promotion nd if we could push on we may get some breathing space, priority was still a play off place and anything else was a bonus.

One highlight of the season was the fine form of young adam handling, he had scord 9 goals so far in all competitions (23 Games) and looked like he could make a difference if his form would hold.

MORE TO FOLLOW.......

I hope you are enjoying the story and any feedback is appreciated, should i keep the updates shorter and more of them, what else would you like to see in the updates or what would you like to see less of.

Look froward to the comments.

Love this story! Doing good mate :) by the way it would help if you take a snapshot of the league table at the end of each update ;)

Good point, never really thought of that, will include after the next update (as i have already got the screenshots) just not had time to uopdate here.