greenall90

Reaction score

View attachment 134614
Greenall named new Sunderland Manager

With Sunderland in 19th​ place and six points from safety, the Board who removed Sam Allardyce from the mangers position last week have announced Chris Greenall as the new manager in hope that he can turn the season around and keep the club in the Premier League. The club are fighting to stay in the top flight and carry on their 8 year stay in the top division. With all the new TV and price money coming into the league, dropping down into the Championship would cost the club millions, with only 9 games left in the season Sunderland will be hoping Chris Greenall can have an instant impact. This will be the 36 year olds first management job, but he should bring plenty of knowledge having worked closely with Sir Alex Ferguson and Pep Guardiola in recent years. The former England international playing career was cut short due to a knee injury, forcing him to move into coaching at a young age. His first role was coaching the youth team at Manchester United before stepping up to become the u21 manager, where helped to guide the U21’s to the FA youth cup in 2011. The side had a number youngsters who have gone on to have successful careers, such as Ravel Morrison(Lazio), Michael Keane (Burnley), Jesse Lingard(Manchester United) and Paul Pogba(Juventus) who all praised Greenall for the work he did there. Greenall left United in 2013 at the same time as Ferguson stating that he wanted to move into first team coaching but after speaking with the new boss at Old Trafford David Moyes, it was clear he wouldn’t be offered a role within his coaching staff. He wasn’t out of work long when he moved on to the Allianz Arena where he became one of Guardiola’s Assistant coaches at Bayern Munich working alongside Domenec Torrent for three years. After Guardiola accepted the Man City Job and it was widely expected that Greenall would follow him; however the former England player released a statement that he was thankful for the job offer but wanted to venture into management. Sky sources say that Hull approached Greenall earlier in the year after the sacking of Steve Bruce but Greenall declined an interview. We understand that Sunderland were also looking at former Wigan and Everton manager Roberto Martinez but talks between the two parties broke down. Greenall has signed a 3 year deal at the Stadium of Light and will be under huge pressure from the get go to get results. His first match is away to West Ham before a local derby with Middlesbrough who are also currently in the relegation zone. The new Sunderland manager is expected to take charge of training for the first time on Friday morning before been introduced to the press in the afternoon.

Greenall First interview Live

JC sky Sports : First of all, on behalf of everyone here and at Sky, congratulations on your first management job and we hope you have a successful career at Sunderland.

Greenall: Thank you, so do I!

PM BBC Sport: What attracted you to the Sunderland job?

Greenall: it’s a great club which has had tough times these last few years. They have the fourth biggest stadium in the UK, great fanbase, great training factices and the owner isn’t afraid to spend money when needed. It’s a shame that they have been fighting of relegation these past few years when they have the right formula to be consistently fighting to get into Europe in my opinion and that’s my aim over the next years, to stabilise the club and to start moving forward, As I said, everything is pretty much already in place for that, we just need to start winning more football matches.

JC Sky Sports : You take over a team that’s in the relegation zone with only 9 games left to play, surely not an ideal first management role?

Greenall : I believe that the squad is more than capable to stay up, We have some world class talent here and I just have to get the right system in place and get the players believing in them self, once that’s done the results will come. We have a great set of supporters here that we need to get behind the team and keep encourage them, we have the right foundations here and I think anything is possible.

CY Sunderland Echo: What do you make of the current Sunderland squad?

Greenall: We have a fantastic bunch of lads here, I have only taken training once so far but I’m very happy with the players at my disposal. There was a real buzz around the training pitch this morning and all the players got stuck in. We went through a number of drills and then played a small match so I could see everyone in action. Everyone impressed, especially some of the youth lads.

JC Sky Sports : Your away to West Ham tomorrow, do you feel prepared?

Greenall: To be honest no, but I’m not sure anyone would. Like I said we have only had one training session with the players so I’m still getting to know them as players and know there strengthen and weaknesses and where they will fit into the side. I’ve come up with a couple of formations and ideas about how we should play but again, it will take time for the boys to understand what’s required out of them in these systems. I expect to see massive improve for the Middlesbrough game when we have had more time to work on it, but tomorrow will be tough for us, However as always we will go there and give it our all and try get a positive result for our fans because at this stage of the season every game and point matters.

MS DailyMail: So have you already conceded defeat in the game with West ham?

Greenall: Did I say that? Like I said, it will be tough for sure, even the best mangers in the world would have trouble to get a team together and setup how they want in a day, we will keep it tight at the back and go from there. As long as the players put one hundred percent in, I’m happy.

PM BBC Sport : Pep spoke very highly of you yesterday in his press conference, Will you be in contact with him when in need of advice or players?

Greenall
: Yes for sure, we are currently working on a deal to bring Kompnay, Aguero, De Bruyne and Heart here!!! In all seriousness, of course I will speak with him; we are close friends from our time at Bayern, but this is my job and he has to concentrate on of his own so I will more rely on my backroom staff. As far as players as concerned, I still have to fully assess the squad and will then make the signings in the summer that I deem necessary.

JC SkySports : Just touching on what you said about backroom staff, We understand Kevin Philips is coming back to the club in some sort of coaching role?

Greenall: Yes, Kevin signed a contract this morning to be my Assistant manager. He had a great playing career here and knows the club very well. I look forward to working with and believe and can get Sunderland to where we believe the club should be.

CY Sunderland Echo: Have you spoke to the chairman about what sort of funds you will have in the summer?

Greenall: Yes, we spoke about that but it’s hard to determine at the moment, We have agreed to sit down and speak about this proplery when we know which league we are going to be in. This will give me some more time to assess the squad as well and find targets that could improve the squad. Next question the last please.

JC Skysports: We understand that a few players want to leave the club, one in particular we understand is Jordan Pickford?

Greenall: I haven’t had chance to sit down and speak to any player other than the captain O’Shea at the moment. I will sit down and speak to Jordan in the next couple of weeks and see what the issue seems to be, in the meantime, I expect all my players to play for their shirt and give there all even if they want to leave in the summer.

Greenall
: Thank you for your time guys!!

View attachment 134612

Squad Overview

GK
Jordon Pickford & Mannone
Pickford will be number one with Mannone as backup. Pickford has the ability to be number one for a number of years but is asking to leave to a bigger club that can challenge for Europe. Mannone looks a good number two keeper but don’t think he could step up and be first choice so if Pickford leaves I would need to find a new first choice.
Full Backs
Jones, Matthews and Van Aanholt
Only three full backs in the first team and Van Aanholt is suspended for my first three matches. Like the look of Matthews who can play on both sides and has been Sunderlands stand out player so far this season. Van Aanholt is also a good player and get attention from a number of clubs in the top half of the league, might be tough to keep hold of him in the summer. Jones is a solid versatile player that can cover if either are out, but more cover is required here.

Centre Back
Coates, kone, O’shea, Kaboul and Kirchhoff
A few choices here, Kone and Kirchhoff are the stand out players here but with my tactics I plan on playing Kirchhoff just in front of the back four for extra protection. O’shea is club captain and can cover anywhere in the back four but his legs seem to have gone so he will be used mainly as cover or coming on from the bench. Kaboul and Coates seem pretty equally matched but Kaboul may just get the nod as he has more PL experience but Coates will come in if either him or Kone perform poorly. Kaboul has also expressed his desire to leave in the summer, and with O’shea ages, this is another area to look into.
Central Midfield
Cattermole, Rodwell, Larsson, Osman, Gomez & Raul Meireles
Osman, Gomez and Mireles, singing like these aren’t helping the club, they are on high wages and are playing very poorly. None of them will be starters and mostly likely they will play for the u21’s. Rodwell has only played in four PL game so far and that isn’t due to injury, he will be the main man in the centre of the park to bring some balance and physicality to the side. May take a few matches for him to gain full match fitness which is a worry. Larsson will be used out on the wing since we only have 2 wingers at the moment! Cattermole will prove cover to Rodwell and Kirchhoff, but has only played very few matches this season, so again I’m worried about match fitness. Gomez and Mireles will be sold in the summer and Osman’s contract is up. Larsson is another player that as stated he wants to leave.
Wingers
Buckley and Khazri
Buckley doesn’t look to be cut out for this league and Khazri isn’t even an out and out winger so we could have problems here. As I said before, Larsson might have to play as Wide Midfielder on the right to make up for the lack of players in this area. Buckley to be sold in the summer and replacements are needed.
Strikers
Defoe, Toivonen, Watmore and Borini
Defoe leads the ways so far this season with goals. Only striker in double figures, Not Sure if he can lead the line by himself though at 33, He stats are still very good for someone who is on the decline and I’m hoping I can get another decent season out of him. Toivonen is a big strong player that can hold the ball up well and will be used as an impact sub if we need to pump the ball long. Borini may need to play as Second striker if I deploy one or on the wing if needed, can’t see him getting loads of game time up front unless Defoe picks up a knock. Watmore seem like a great talent and has crazy pace. He could be useful when trying to counter attack but can’t see him getting a load of game time unless Defoe is injured.