Takky

Reaction score
The season is coming close to end and I still can't figure out what I am doing wrong - I need your help.

I am playing with Liverpool and I'm in the second season. In the first season Coutinho was a beast, winning games on his own and scoring 21 goals in 29 games. He had an average of 7.61 and ended the season with 9 assists and 6 POM. He carried us to a title challenge against Arsenal but towards the end of the first season we dropped points, which was no coincidence. We were basically playing youth players because all of Pools glass players were long-term injured.

Then second season came and Coutinho became rubbish, and I am not talking about average Joe - I am talking average Joe drinking two bottles of Vodka and then stepping onto the pitch trying to his standard routines. I wanted to play someone else but all my glass players were still made of glass so I was "forced" to play him unless I wanted to throw out my blueprint.

I have tried warning him and each time he admits he's a sad clown that will be a more entertaining clown. In January I got fed up and sent him to my youth team but he came crying and didn't think he was as sad of a clown as he was so I set him back in first team. I have tried playing him with the reserves but to no avail. I have benched him, I have tried not him off games when he's doing his thing in hope he would do a fluke goal, and I have tried pulling him off so that he doesn't play when he's not in form. We have played 29 games thus far in the league and he has participated in 19 of those, scoring twice, making one assist and averaging 6.93.

I have not changed any tactics, it is basically the same team, new advanced playmaker (support) with Dele Alli instead of Grujic and a new keep that joined in January. But that's it.

I am willing to do anything and I'm all ears. I am doing something wrong but I cannot see or understand it.

I can't upload images of tactics etcetera, don't know why. So I will add another post and see if I can add some.

Second season struggles are real, you've gotta change it up, or else you'll fail. You cant play the same way every game anymore like in FM 12 or 13

Second season struggles are real, you've gotta change it up, or else you'll fail. You cant play the same way every game anymore like in FM 12 or 13
Thanks for the comment, and I am changing it up. The tactic I uploaded is the one I usually apply. Then every now and then (and in particularly during games) I switch depending on injuries and opposition. I used all from 3-4-3 to 4-4-2 but the tactic above is the one mainly used. I want to stress that the results are coming my way for the most part, I will end up second or third in the league and will play the final in Champions league soon. Hence, my issues are not concerning the team or performance of the tactic it is about Coutinho. I feel like I have tried everything I could possibly do and yet he is still as useless as he could ever be. If I get the opportunity to sell him I will probably look into that and sign Pepe and play him as LW. He would do a better job anyway...

Then second season came and Coutinho became rubbish, and I am not talking about average Joe - I am talking average Joe drinking two bottles of Vodka and then stepping onto the pitch trying to his standard routines. I wanted to play someone else but all my glass players were still made of glass so I was "forced" to play him unless I wanted to throw out my blueprint.

See View Profile: Average Joe - Football Manager 2016 Tactics, Wonderkids & Tips :p

Try to download some of the tactics on here. Look for one which fits your players most though!

I'm usually better after 3 bottles to be honest!

Can you show us where you are playing him? Because if, in your tactic, he will end up playing in the same space as Delle Alli (who is a cm that really likes to go forward) then it is obvious that one of them would be underperforming. Try to change is role in the way your team plays, that could really help him, problably not playing like in your first season, but performing well again.

Can you show us where you are playing him? Because if, in your tactic, he will end up playing in the same space as Delle Alli (who is a cm that really likes to go forward) then it is obvious that one of them would be underperforming. Try to change is role in the way your team plays, that could really help him, problably not playing like in your first season, but performing well again.
Very helpful comment and I noticed that as well. After his dreadful season and poor start in the next one, I changed his role to advanced playmaker with attack and he started to perform again. Not as crazy (and unrealistically) good as earlier but good. In effect, Delle Alli bangs 1-2 goals every game and has severely improved his performance. It's fairly evident on the pitch that most of the attacks go through these two linking up and with the help of Moreno pushing forward out wide forcing the opponents to stretch.