Reaction score
First of all, ill admit i don't claim to be the best FM player or the greatest tactician but for 3 seasons now, i cannot beat or find a way to beat Man city's 4-2-3-1 Narrow formation with 3 AMC, every attack for them leads to a goal and david silva just glides through my defence, as does tevez and dzeko lol . Has anyone else been sorely punished by Man city, has anyone had any luck recreating this tactic, i've seen a few posts about people trying to take it on but the threads were discontinued, its just impossible for me and they have won champs league back to back now. :mad::mad::mad:

This will be the death of me.
View attachment 371307

Last edited:
Duuuude.... I beat em with Liverpool :D LOL! Wide 4231, lineup isn't very different from the current squad even though I'm three seasons in. I guess the major changes are Sterling and Ince plus some other younglings!

Oh man, i may look to bring in some decent wide players :p like every time we meet it's a 4-1 scoreline to them, i just might poach sterling from liverpool although he is expensive on my current save!

What kind of approach do you use ?

Against other teams i use a 4-3-2-1 formation with 2 AMC's - Very Fluid- Attacking with short passing, i usually go on unbeaten runs until i meet Man city, for them i try to pack the midfield so i take a 4-1-3-1-1 formation with an anchor man dropping in in front of my back four using balance-Counter if i'm away , Balanced-standard at home, this works for most big away matches but again not against man city

I'm in the 3rd season too with utd and I'm using Koen fast fluid 442 beast (check popular threads this week it's at the top) I've played 17 won 16 and drawn 1, scored 35 conceded 4.
Ive beat city twice already charity shield and at home.

I'm in the 3rd season too with utd and I'm using Koen fast fluid 442 beast (check popular threads this week it's at the top) I've played 17 won 16 and drawn 1, scored 35 conceded 4.

im using united at the moment with the same tactic but only in season 1. how are you doing so well? im winning but really not performing aswell as other ppl that are using the tactic.

Please, lets keep this thread stictly on topic. If you want to discuss the tactics that someone are having a blast with under other circumstances, or that you just want to know more about their saves, please use the PM function.

Cheers.

Against other teams i use a 4-3-2-1 formation with 2 AMC's - Very Fluid- Attacking with short passing, i usually go on unbeaten runs until i meet Man city, for them i try to pack the midfield so i take a 4-1-3-1-1 formation with an anchor man dropping in in front of my back four using balance-Counter if i'm away , Balanced-standard at home, this works for most big away matches but again not against man city

What kind of other settinsg do you use...and have you tweaked any of the settings ? If you keep loosing against them, then its most certainly your tactic that struggles against their 3 AMCs + Wingbacks

What kind of other settings do you use...and have you tweaked any of the settings ? If you keep loosing against them, then its most certainly your tactic that struggles against their 3 AMCs + Wingbacks

i don't really tend to Tweak to much with other settings, just shorter passing, discipline creativity and hard tackling, everything else is pretty much to default, i'm just so lost as to how i can beat real madrid 3-1 and bayern, then go and get hammered by Man city 4-1, they always managed more than 3 goals they have left me truly stumped

To show that it works against that formation, here are some screenshots of Bristol City match - they hammered me in the possesion but just look at the results

View attachment 371346View attachment 371347

That's pretty effective! thing is i no longer have players to suit this formation ive gone for a narrow 4-3-2-1 formation i might try this, and stick kagawa on the left wing and maybe rooney on the right? i've sold all wide players because i prefer narrow creative football, thanks though m8 will give this a shot cant lose a second FA cup final lol

That's pretty effective! thing is i no longer have players to suit this formation ive gone for a narrow 4-3-2-1 formation i might try this, and stick kagawa on the left wing and maybe rooney on the right? i've sold all wide players because i prefer narrow creative football, thanks though m8 will give this a shot cant lose a second FA cup final lol
I also use OIs in the game - seems to help, when I didn't use them I lost 4-3 to 10 man Leeds

OIs from http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ure-attacking-tactic-top-teams-underdogs.html - you need to take about 3 mins before every game and go through the oppsitions team

i don't really tend to Tweak to much with other settings, just shorter passing, discipline creativity and hard tackling, everything else is pretty much to default, i'm just so lost as to how i can beat real madrid 3-1 and bayern, then go and get hammered by Man city 4-1, they always managed more than 3 goals they have left me truly stumped

OK. But what about the roles and the duties.- Perhaps a screen of those ?

i got rid of most of my wingers mate cant really play a 442 formation anymore, i prefer narrow piercing football so i play with a 4-3-2-1 with 2 AMC's instead works wonders against other teams just not man city lol, ill look into buying some wingers in the next transfer will attempted to play 442 again