Full backs being caught out of position

Ranger81

Reaction score
I play with LFB, so that they're just concentrating on defending, and I tell them to stay wide. Yet they constantly seem to be running in from the middle whenever a ball comes down the wing (and they're not the quickest when it comes to getting over to cover). I play narrow, because my midfield triangle of DM and my CMs are my main creative outlet, but surely if play wider is set as a player instruction they should holding their position? Infact, 'Hold Position' is supposed to be one of their default player instructions. I've come to terms with the fact that they don't know how to/don't want to tackle, but they could at least be in the right place to maybe win the ball when it's sent forward.

Hold Position and Stay Wide are on the ball instructions so have nothing to do with the defensive phase. It's more tied to the width of your opponent and mentality.

Anything I can do in terms of off the ball instructions or do I just have to accept that the fans and board are going to continue to blame me for results like the 2-2 draw against Alloa when it's not my fault that there isn't a sufficient team or player instruction? I even play structured in a bid to get them to hold their position and concentrate on what they're supposed to be doing.

Another 2-2, another game where my full backs are posted missing, and again it's my fault. Getting really fed up of this - it's only a matter of time before I lose my lead at the top. And then the s**t's really gonna hit the fan, as there's already murmurings of discontent from the fans and the board about drawing two games on the bounce.

Specific mark the wingers maybe? What's the problem, specifically?

Team training on Def. Positioning?

Tried man marking, but they don't have good marking stats so they were being pulled all over the place. The problem is that, as LFB's, they should be just that - limited, with a defend duty. But they love joining in too much when everyone else goes forward.

Decided to abandon them and try a 2-1-6-1, which makes better use of my squad since the injury crisis is over and it's harder to accommodate the players I signed with the players they were brought in to replace. This gives me two wide midfielders and two wingers who I can give support/defend duties to. Haven't quite decided yet how to play who exactly, but in their first game I had no shots against me. That's never happened before that I can recall.

Team training on Def. Positioning?

Tried that without success, but it's not an issue any more thankfully. They've played their way out of contention. I'm going to stick with the new formation for a while and hope I see some results.

If you post the tactic we may be able to help you. I have a feeling it's either a mentality conflict or that the opponents are getting you in 2 on 1 situations and your FBs don't know who to mark

they're being caught out always going forward for set pieces

Last edited:
Never even crossed my mind - although it makes sense considering that with this new tactic I have my defensive players back for set pieces and it seems more solid with two than the previous one was with four.

I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Well, they're STILL being caught out of position too often - even though they have 'Stay Back' set for every set piece instruction available to them. They can, as the French would say, f**k off.

It looks like you're getting half decent performances out of them still. Maybe they just aren't quite good enough. Both look like slightly more attacking than limited to me. One of the two FB's best attributes is off the ball and pace so looks like a WB to me and the other one has crossing. Not sure this will help with being caught out of position though. Personally I wouldn't drop deep and use offside trap together

the only thing i can think of is the roles you have in defence, you right cb is a stopper so he will push ahead to close people down, so first of all this can leave the other 3 defenders to rearrange their positions not to get exposed potentially leading the fullbacks to come narrower. secondly, if the stopper makes a wrong decision, misses a tackle or interception then he is out of the defensive equation and once again your players are exposed. if the attackers then outnumber your defenders or there a runners off the man with the ball then your fullbacks have a ton of choices to make and coupled with their low composure and decision stats this could be part of the problem

But surely if all I want them to do is stay wide and hold their position, that shouldn't be a problem? I mean, there's an instruction to stay wide so they shouldn't have to be running out wide to meet their man. There might be something to the stopper theory, but if a long ball comes forward into a wider area then he's out of the equation anyway.