ManicBadja

Reaction score
This thread will be a story following the trials and tribulations of a Ukrainian national hero, trying to build up their name in their home nation whilst becoming a European force.
Inspired by Zealand and Llama's suggestions for peculiar saves. Save for every European country

The idea is simple. Take over at FC Metalist Kharkiv and try to fill their astounding stadium capacity of 40,003 on the way to success (hopefully).
Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 18.22.06.png

I love the fact that the average ticket price is only £1! Must be a bargain and hopefully if we fill the stadium it would be a nice income boost.

Now the moment who you have been all waiting for, who is going to be the manager of Metalist and bring them glory?
Well what I can tell you, sports fans, is that he is a Ukrainian international. A striker, a goal scorer who has played for some of the biggest clubs in Europe across a glittering career where he became a household name. You guessed it.... His name is Andriy. It is NOT Andriy Shevchenko, but the one and only Andriy Voronin!

Keep your eyes peeled on the thread for what promises if anything, to be different.

Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 18.21.29.png

Metalist.png

Throughout my playing career I have been blessed with travelling the globe. In many of the countries I have played in what I have found the second fiddle city. Liverpool had it's own unique pull compared to London. Leverkusen was charming and different to Berlin, although I loved both when I played there. Kharkiv has always been in the shadow of the capital Kiev. It might not be the first thought when people think of a Ukrainian metropolis, but here there is something in the air. It could just be cabbage, but I quite like it.

As I park my car in the vast car park of the Metalist Stadium, I take a minute to breath it in. This fortress is huge, it is commanding and you can almost hear the crowd's chorus building inside. I rub my hands together in the cold, brisk wind. I'm ready.

Walking through the glass doors I am greeted by what can only be described as my leading centre back. 6 foot 5 inches tall, broad, strong shoulders and a pair of legs that would not look out of place on Chris Hoy. Who is this undiscovered gem? I ask myself. Could this be my star player?

"Ah Mr Voronin, pleased to meet you. I am your personal assistant. Olena Ivanova"

A few minutes of small talk, I think I might have styled out the awkwardness. Olena shows me to my office, it will do! A nice modern office with a window looking right over the pitch, there are white boards for my tactics and a nice big TV so I can watch the Sports News. I hope I can connect Amazon Prime to watch some All or Nothing: Tottenham Hotspur, I have not watched it yet but hear that Danny Rose is looking for a club.

The owner Oleksandr Yaroslavskyi walks in a few minutes after I pack out the rest of my things and Alexis the I.T. sets up my computer.
He is a man of few words, he looks through me and says "You. Win. Promotion. Make. Money" before immediately walking out.

Well I guess that's the club vision meeting out the way. Picking up a copy of the Telegraf, I can see why the owner was so short. The bookies have made us odds on favourite, by some stretch.
Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 20.47.16.png

With that out the way, I set up a meeting immediately with my assistant manager. Oleksandr Pryzetko, a mountain of a man with hands the size of bear paws and golden locks that Rapunzel would be jealous of.

I get him to pull up a chair and gulp before saying "Look Big O'', I need a quick fire overview of the squad. Who are my key players and what about the rest?"

He highlights 3 players that I can build on. First up is Brazilian magician Mailton. He looks far too good for this league and he is on loan so lets make the most of it and hope he 'delivers'....

Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 20.47.57.png

Next up is another Brazilian, this is our star striker. Matheus is going to be our main source of goals this year.
Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 20.48.12.png

Finally to top off the top trio; Colombian Riascos offers a bit more versatility to play across the front 3 and at a push an attacking central midfielder.
Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 20.49.25.png

I rub my hands together again, and not due to the cold. My office is nice and toasty and this line up is just making me excited to start planning like an evil genius discovering a plot for world domination.
The rest of the squad is ok, not that many youngsters to build on but we have fantastic facilities. Definitely something to build on!

My main concern is that the whole squad is practically brand new with very few players having played together. Pre-season will be about 2 things, cohesion and fitness. We need to get ready to work hard, get promoted and have a jump start on staying in the top flight. The faster we get to European competitions, the faster we will fill the stadium to a maximum capacity of 40,003. Those extra 3 make all the difference.

Metalist.png

"Is this it?" I ask my PA Olena. "Is this the hotel?"

The Palace Hotel sounded grand and it was in a way but I still feel Kharkov is a tad behind the times when compared to the likes of the Western countries.
Olena nods her head, walks me through to the lobby and organises my room keys. It was quite nice of the owner to sort me a room whilst I look around for a place of my own. I have managed to luck out with a suite, it has it's own toilet! Great success!

Work time, I get on the phone along with Olena and we frantically start calling around our contacts in the football staff. I need an entire backroom staff. I don't have too much money but a good base line. Some of the guys in the club have been there a while and know the place well, I just have to find the right balance.
"Schedule the interviews for tomorrow Olena, I have to get to training and do some work"

I get into my car, with formations and tactics running through my head. I think a simple 4-3-3 with a deep lying midfielder would do wonders. By using the wings I can take my assistant manager's advice. Old trusty Olexandr, the big beautiful ******* had even gave me a full report. These boys can cross a ball and we can control the game. Let's do that I think, keep it simple and whip in some crosses.

Walking onto the training ground and the team is kicking a ball around, they all look a bit awkward and not really speaking. I keep forgetting they hardly know each other. Perhaps I should just crack a bottle of vodka open, throw on some Celine Dion and let us bond like we used to when I was a player... Maybe another time. For now let's see what you boys can do. Pre-season is here!

Screenshot 2022-01-06 at 22.16.23.png

A very mixed bag and a hard to read set of friendlies. Rubin Kazan are the most famous team and we did hold our own but were clearly overpowered in the end. I don't know much about the other teams but it was more about fitness at this time.
Our cohabiting stadium neighbours were up last. Metalist 1925 are playing in the top flight and have a stronger squad but our wicked crosses and pace proved too much! A big win just in the nick of time.

Looking ahead to the league, I have seen a few changes in the odds in the bookie's windows. Our boy Matheus Peixoto is favourite to be the top scorer.
Our odds for promotion are still odds on but have shrunk slightly to 1-9.

Screenshot 2022-01-06 at 21.12.53.png

Big O' comes to my office following training, he looks as cheerful as ever. A smile that could turn milk sour, and the stench to match.
"So what do you think Big O, are we ready for the season? Any last minute suggestions?"

He simply shrugs his gigantic shoulders, spits into the bin and walks out. What a strange, strange man.
I am ready for the season, as are the 3500 season ticket holders!

KYIVPOST_logo_new-2018-4.jpeg

Good start to life for Metalist's Voronin

As the First League gets underway, early predictions are being fulfilled as Metalist Kharkhiv take a commanding lead on the league.
There has intrigue around the Ukraine to see former international Andriy Voronin take charge of his first managerial post.
With many pundits unsure whether Voronin had the right ideology for management so soon after a coaching role at Dynamo Moscow.

We decided to take a look back over his first month in charge and review the impact of Voronin.

Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 07.01.18.png

No stark revelations in the opening game. A dominating performance, with striker Matheus Peixoto scoring a debut hat trick, and Roman Savchenko becoming not only Metalist's history but for the whole First League. Voronin has earned applause for his desire to include youngsters into his squad.
The rules of only being able to have 3 foreign players on the pitch at a time has stifled the Brazilian influence at Metalist but their salsa kings carried on with their form but for the next game it was all about the right back Mailton.

Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 07.46.41.png

The defender showed he can do more than defend, with some quality crosses leading to a lovely assist to give Bogan Porokh his first goal of the season. The other goal of the game came from veteran skipper who pearled in a beauty of a free kick, as the English would say 'Right in the top bin'.It also earner him the accolade of the oldest goal scorer for Metalist.

Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 18.40.54.png

The following game took Metalist to the cold sights of Obolon who managed to score a goal. Metalist were much stronger and showed resilience to secure all 3 points.
Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 19.21.48.png

The final game of the munch was a home game for Metalist. Their stadium with 31,052 fans, was rocking and no wonder. A very controlled display with attacking intent from the off. Kremin's poor defensive record was only compounded as Metalist strolled to a 4 nil victory without breaking a sweat.
Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 20.09.04.png

The all important league table looked how many expected it would at this stage. The perennial question will be, will Voronin keep this momentum up? Will Metalist be able to sustain a promotion push whilst preparing for life in the top flight?
Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 20.10.09.png

A perfect start to the season, it seems that Voronin's ambition and vision could not have had a better beginning. Although we expected Metalist to be in this position we would rate Voronin's start as 7/10. Expected and where they should be.

Player of the month: Matheus Peixoto
Goal of the month: Ruslan Fomin

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 06.47.43.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 06.47.43.png
    139.3 KB · Views: 9
Metalist.png

Action Packed August

7 games this month, 7! I sit in my office looking at the calendar, this league is relentless. I suppose it needs to be as we have 3 months off over winter. Big O reckons we can get at least 4 or 5 wins if we stay injury free. With no time to waste, we head straight to the training ground and set up for the month's first game against Kremin!

Screenshot 2022-01-08 at 19.17.18.png

A lively game, a quick goal meant that Kremin set up shop. Eventually Peixoto broke through and we got rolling again. Demchenko finished off the game.

Onwards to the next game, with a merry band of yellow and blue supporters.

Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 20.28.49.png

More chances than an early day Epstein and we fortunately managed to get a couple over the line. They were reduced to 10 men after the first goal and parked the bus. It was a **** game but at least we secured the 3 points.

Next up was a home game against Girnyk-Sport. A healthy 30,000 attended the game so we are looking good. They were treated to a spectacle. Again with 30+ shots but this time we have been far more success of 4 goals being scored.
Screenshot 2022-01-08 at 09.31.50.png

2 wins so far, we are looking good. Now for the cup.

Screenshot 2022-01-08 at 11.35.11.png

Riascos add another to his tally from the left of the attacking 3. Peixoto gets pulled before a hat trick but I need him fresh for the future games. He has been bang in form and I am not sure we will be able to keep him. The rotation players did a job and we managed to avoid injuries.

The biggest challenge of the season is second placed Polissya. They are also undefeated and look very strong. Away we go with a rabid band of fans, let's get this W!

Screenshot 2022-01-08 at 15.04.02.png

Ah, ****. This was not according to plan. I mean it was not as bad as the scoreline shows. We had more shots, just not good ones. Dropped points. I don't like this.
I just want to fast forward to the next game. A mere 23,814 fans watched another 30+ shots with only 1 goal but a win sees us reclaim the top of the league.

Screenshot 2022-01-08 at 15.39.04.png

Let us build on this now.

Screenshot 2022-01-08 at 17.22.53.png

Oh my days, how are we struggling all of a sudden. Is it fatigue? Is it bad luck? I go talk to the press and instruct them that this is just a slight blip. We need to sort out the base of the midfield to break through and importantly hold onto the ****** ball.

A month of full action has seen us slip up but only a single point behind Polissya.
Screenshot 2022-01-08 at 17.26.35.png

We are going to need a lot better conversion I say to Olena as we travel back to the hotel.

"Why so sad boss?" the Urkainian Caitlin Jenner says to me

"I thought we would be walking this league but dropping points again second place is not wat we wanted Cait..er....Olena"

I did not want to make any more mistakes and more importantly wanted us to convert our chances.
Back to the drawing board.

lvivska-hazeta.jpeg

VORONIN VERDICT HEIGHTENS AMID COLLAPSE OF FORM

After a strong start it appears that the honey moon period is over at Metalist Kharkhiv. Manager Andriy Vornonin got off to a near perfect start with 6 wins on the trot, when faced with theor first real competition in the form of Polissya, they failed to flatter.

That defeat has seen a turn in momentum, with Metalist now not looking as free flowing in attack. There are no shortage of chances, but the matter of turning those chances into goals is where the problem lies.

Voronin's biggest nemesis is the expectation that Metalist should be storming to the title. Much like a Ukrainian PSG, the league is a formality and the fans, the board and the media all expect this to be achieved with a certain pinache.
Now that the Metalist have shown that they are mortal, the blood may be in the water. With Polissya looking unlikely to drop points, it may be the beginning of the end if Vornonin is to oversee another series of defeats or draws.

Will he be able to find the form of the early stage of the season or is it going to be more of the same from Voronin's men?

Metalist.png

September sees us take on 6 games this month. After I pondered the slight slip up agains Polissya and Kryvbas, a slight tweak to the tactics is in order. I'll be looking to deploy tactics I saw on a DVD documentary when I was playing in England.
It was about an England national team manager and his use of a simple style of football. Mike Basset's ideology of "Four, Four, F*cking Two" is something I need to bring to Ukraine. We have the pace to break most teams and we will look to exploit that.
Not one to make too much of a drastic change, let's see how we get on, after all, it may just be fatigue Off we go to Ahrobiznes Volochysk.

Screenshot 2022-01-08 at 17.59.58.png

Apart from an unusually quiet day for Peixoto, there was not that much more to write home about. Peixoto still came up with the goods after we went behind. I thought we were bound to score another but we just never did.

The midweek fixtures is a home game. It made me want to rip my pony tail off. Pidlepenets gets a rare start and decides to thank me by deciding to display his version of the Ukranian body slam as if he was auditioning for the WWE. A straight red means we were up against it but I had faith.
Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 09.06.32.png

That faith looked to be turning into hope as the half time whistle went. We pushed more and on the 75th minute Riascos picks up his second yellow. We park the bus and 4 minutes later Khomchenko hand us a second defeat, but this one was wholly unexpected.

Time for some Bassett tactics. Even more so as the press are starting to lose faith. Fickle bastards.

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 09.09.24.png

Away we go to Nyva Ternopil and it was not a good start. Artem Vas'ko sneaks a lead in front of our travelling fans. I bellow orders and berate the players but it takes transfer-listed Sergiy Lyulka to pop up with a set piece goal. Heading into the net, there may be something in keeping the 33 year old in the starting line up. Our usual first choice left back has been found out a few times lately. The game finished a dismal draw.
Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 09.21.28.png

The only thing I can try do is avoid as best I can, the owner. I do not want him to see me and I make myself scarce in the office. It will give me more time to tinker and tweak some training drills. Big O' has hardly spoken to me over the last week. He just gives me a steely stare whenever I cross paths.
I start feeling a bit of a change in the atmosphere at the club. I won't have it, I am not letting this go downhill.

"OI! Big O' get the team in for a meeting" I bellow down the hall. We get the lads in and I make it clear that we are obviously better than recent results, pull your fingers out and lets turn this around. I get quite a positive reaction from the players and I think in some sort of sadistic way they enjoy being shouted and told off.

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 09.46.25.png

My lungs are empty. I have not shouted so much in my life. I thought we were there, I thought we hung with the Premier league Vorskla quite well. Penalties were the downfall and it was our new Brazilian centre back Heitor that had his of 'Saka' moment. Fans were desperately disappointed but the young man shows promise and character.

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 09.46.33.png

At least the lad shows spirit and determination that is enough for me. We can now all just focus on the league and prioritise catching up with Polissya!

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 09.59.59.png

We just don't do things the easy way anymore do we? After 15 minutes in we looked completely in control and it looked like we were going to thump VPK. At half time I tell the lads to keep going and not lose focus. They do exactly that and we are probably fortunate not to concede at the depth. 3 points is 3 points though!

The final game of the month sees us rotate against the weaker team. Veteran Fomin comes into the attack and 8 minutes in deftly finishes his first opportunity. And that is about it.
Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 10.09.43.png

An ugly win but a win none-the-less. Let us have a look at the table.
Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 10.10.09.png

Polissya have dropped points! We just need them to lose again and for us to be solid so that we can overtake them. We are ahead of them of goal difference so I would even take that if it came down to it!

A nervy month indeed, with doubts sometimes creeping in. I still back myself and feel that we can achieve our mission.

Player of the Month: Peixoto, he has just not looked like himself but is still scoring for fun.

OCTOBER REVIEW - Metalist make magic happen

Despite a mid season blip, Andriy Vornonin seems to have managed to get the wheel back on. With only 7 games before the winter break, Metalist managed to produce a 4 win streak. The Kyiv Post have assigned part-time Sergei Kharputkin to monitor the Metalist movement.

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 10.22.17.png

Olimpik D were the most active club in the transfer market with no less than 20 transfers. Their youthful side managed to see plenty of the ball but did not have the cutting edge that Metalist showed. Imperious Peixoto added to his already impressive goal tally for the season, that was added to by Pidlepents' debut goal for the club.
With home form proving to be strong, Metalis move on to beat Podillya by 3 comfortable goals.
Voronin is trying to implement more of a possession based tactic but yet again Metalist were out possessed.
Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 15.17.16.png

The next round of fixtures see Polissya drop points and a very late winner from Volodymyr Shopin earned Metalist all 3 points and a crucial leap to the top of First League.

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 15.37.25.png

The final game of the month, showcased in front of 30,000 fans, saw Metalist take on in from Obolon.
Pacey Hitman Brayan Riascos picks up a poor pass from Obolon's defence. Races through to be 1 on 1 and slots through a tidy finish.
The remainder of the game, well the less said the better.
Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 16.14.17.png

Despite picking up maximum points, Metalist will still be concerned. They have been out possessed in every game, they have been fortunate to win in some games, but this is the mark of true champions. Winning despite not playing well.

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 16.30.42.png

November only has 3 games prior to the winter break and the January transfer market. Will Metalist bring in reinforcements? Will they eventually learn how to retain possession? Will they continue their winning form? The Kyiv Post will keep you updated.

The Winter Break

92.jpeg

Kharkhiv is a beautiful city and much like other cities it has many stories to tell. Walking down the streets with the cold building so much that the fresh air burns my cheeks. Not many of the locals are talking football. I suppose we are exactly where we are meant to be, perhaps it is not as media mad as in England or Germany.

I decided to continue the stroll down to the stadium, to catch a glimpse of what the fans must see on a match day. To see the sheer scale of the stadium from afar is moving, it makes me even more determined to make sure that we gain promotion to the Premier League, fill the stadium and hopefully play in some European competition.
I walk into the stadium and into the stands, I begin to ponder about the near future.
Metalist_Stadium_Ukraine-860x480-1-5.jpeg

We only have 3 games and then the winter break starts with the transfer market.
I want to bring in a bigger squad and have requested that the board create a B team for us to use for youth development. They have agreed and are the process of setting it up. Now my job it to balance it all by sorting out the first team and thinking of the future at the same time.
Once I get to the office I start with the planning, setting up scouting assignments and reviewing every little aspect of the club.
All whilst beginning to study for my Continental Pro Licence.
I am keen to get the games underway so let's do exactly that.

Away we go to Kremin, who themselves have been quite bright. After simplifying the tactics to control the game a bit better, I thought big O' was gonna slap me silly when we conceded in the 21st minute. My assistant manager was prowling the touchline like a rabid wolf. Things went from bad to worse when Riascos raced after a ball and went down.

"It's not good, he has done his knee in" says my Head Physio.

Great, an to top it off we were 2 down and sinking. I was trying to to berate the players but Big O was just barking constantly. I was not able to to get over him.

Just before half time our defensive midfielder Eugene Banada grabbed a goal back.
At half time I was not happy at all, water bottles flying, boots kicked and more swearing; and that was just Big O!

I did not think any further words were needed, the players knew they were in troubleif they did not turn this around.

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 16.56.42.png

And what a comeback! Right from the off Banada takes the game by the scruff of the neck and scores his second!
Another 15 minutes of patient and controlled possession, in form Peixoto dives in and scores a wonderful header for the lead! Banada finished off his hat trick with a lovely penalty after Peixoto is tumbled over in the box. What a game, what a comeback.
I managed to calm Big O down and fed him a small squirrel instead.

Next up were Kramatorsk who were hanging onto our and Polissya's coat tails.
We are keeping the ball more and looked good when that man Peixoto scored yet another header. A nice start which did not last more than 10 minutes. A belter of a free kick and we pushed for a second.
That second goal just never came! Fortunately Polissya also dropped points by drawing!
Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 17.21.07.png

Last game of the first half of the season takes us to Girnyk-Spport who have had mixed results to say the least. We managed to win 4 -0 last time at home and we thought it was going to be more of the same after Peixoto pops up with his third headed goal in a row. GS managed to pull one pack and we just battered them. 37 shots gave us 2 more goals and three points! Merry Christmas you filthy animals.
Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 17.33.55.png

Up to the half way point of the season, we now can look at the current state of play. 10 games unbeaten makes me feel better than a couple of months ago.

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 17.34.17.png

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 17.34.27.png
Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 17.34.40.png

Peixoto is the player of the season so far, he may even be better than me. 9 times he has been awarded man of the match. No doubt he has led us to the top of the league. We have very close 1 point lead over Polissya who have shown they are also human by dropping points. The next time we face them, it is a must win!

I am off for a lovely wooden cabin break, perhaps I will be able to find a house to move into. Getting sick of living in the hotel now.

Player of the Month - It would be Peixoto, well because it's him. I am giving it to Banada thought for being a legend in the win.
Goal of the Month - Peixoto's diving header to help get us on the way to Banada's game of the year.

Metalist.png

The run in
Winter is over, I had managed to sort out some mid season training and friendlies.
The boys don't look in too bad of a shape considering the winter hibernation. If anything, Big O has gotten even bigger. Almost resembling someone who had eaten Santa Claus and went back for the reindeer too. His gut was massive.

I try to get the fitness coaches to do some work with the whole team, and Big O, to see what their fitness is really like.
Positive reports apart from veteran Fomin picking up a ham string injury which sees him sidelined for a couple of weeks. Main man Peixoto and his faithful sidekick Riascos are looking really sharp.

We organise a few friendlies and put down the mixed results down to getting back into the swing of things.
Our first game back is against the season long rivals Polissya. They are ahead by 1 point and we desperately need a win to leapfrog them.
It started really well too! Riascos moves from the left flank onto his right foot and blasts a powerful shot in the 22nd minute. We look to maintain this positive mindset, pressing forward looking for that second. We get caught on the break and Polissya grab an equaliser a mere 5 minutes later.

Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 07.12.12.png

Half time come and I say to the boys "Just keep going, we have been the better team. We can still win this!". With chests puffed out like peacocks, the players are ready.

Ready to produce absolutely nothing. 45 minutes of attack vs defence. We battered them. Credit to their defence though but we should really have scored.

At least we didn't lose.

There aren't many games left to leapfrog Polissya so we will need to hope they drop points.
Away to Alliance we seemed to have the same lacklustre performance. Plenty of shots, but no goals. Until red-hot Riascos bags again after the hour mark.
Returning from injury to score a trademark header. A nice away victory but sadly no dropped points from Polissya.

Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 07.12.22.png

Kryvbas are up next. The small team are packing a punch in the league and find themselves in third. And in a game where I tore up my notes and hair at the same time, we found out why. In a game Mourinho would have been proud of, Kryvbas parked 3 buses in front of the goal. We pushed again and they broke and caught us out on the break. A very bitter pill to swallow.
Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 07.12.36.png

We have 3 more games to turn this ship around. We can not afford to lose any games. Polissya won't and if they do, we need to be ready to overtake them.

Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 07.12.57.png

A week later we scrape a win but we get the points we need. Peixoto making up for a penalty miss.
Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 07.29.41.png

A nice reward for our work, but we need to get that title for the board to be satisfied.

Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 21.02.43.png

The next games against Uzhgorod and Nyva Ternopil were crucial. Metalist hearts were broken yet again by a last minute goal that ruined our chance of a victory.
Polissya just don't look like they will slip up. We need to get som luck.
Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 21.25.09.png

3 more games. 3 games to save my skin. I think if we don't win the league I may get the sack.

Player of the month: Riascos for sure, he also gets the goal of the month award for his screamer against Alliance.

Back to the drawing board I go.

First League Final day special report
We welcome you to this very special last day report. The Kyiv Post will bring you live minute by minute coverage across the First League.

Before we do that let's have a look back at the last few weeks and see how we have arrived to today's position.

Metalist emphatically beat Prykarpattya at home with a wonderful display from Peixoto who has been in scintillating form this season.
Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 21.32.37.png

The game also set a new record for the biggest attendance at a First League game. Of the 40,003 capacity, a total of 36.287 fans packed into the OSC Metalist Stadium.
Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 21.35.24.png

The result secured promotion for Metalist and means that along with Polissya, they will be playing in the top flight of Ukraine next season.
It also saw the board release a statement with how pleased they were with Voronin and allayed rumours of him getting sacked if Metalist did not secure a promotion.

Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 21.33.13.png

The league table was delicately poised. With goal difference not having a bearing on the league position, the final game of the season means that Metalist need Polissya to drop points, if not they go up as champions.

Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 21.34.09.png

FINAL DAY!

Metalist are away to Olimpik D and Polissya are away to lower league Volyn. A win for either side will see them guarantee the title. Metalist will be praying that Polissya slip up so they can take the top prize.
We cross over to our specialist reporter, Serhiy Mozorov.

Thanks very much and welcome to this special broadcast!

The Kyiv Post and myself are incredibly proud to bring this action to you all.
To make it easy to follow we will bring you both matches LIVE! So off we go to take in what is sure to be a nerve-wracking day!

KICK OFF!!
The games get under way from around the grounds and both Metalist and Polissya are heavy favourites in each of their respective fixtures.

11 minutes - POLISSYA SCORE! Klymchuk slides the ball past the keeper to give the league leaders the lead!

20 minutes - GOOOALLLL!!! It is that man Peixoto who scores yet again for Metalist!

36 minutes - RIASCOS! 2 goals for Metalist as the Colombian blasts home a screamer!

43 minutes - VOLYN HAVE EQUALISED! Scenes as the home fans are ecstatic!

HALF TIME! Wow what a first half. As things stand Metalist will go up as champions! Surely this isn't the end of the drama. Is it?

61 minutes - GOOALLLLLLL, but to who? Polissya of course! The favourites have the lead again and are ahead again through Klymchuk again!

83 minutes - A BREAKTHROUGH! Metalist score again and surely secure all 3 points! Fomin scores off the bench. They have done all they can, but all eyes turn to Volyn.

85 minutes - GOOALLL! VOLYN HAVE DONE IT! Teslyuk has drawn them level, the fans are raucous!

87 minutes - ANOTHER GOAL, WHAT A GAME! You won't believe it, Polissya have conceded again. Volyn score again through Glagola who gets his second! As things stand Metalist go up!

90 minutes - The final whistle goes here. The fans have heard the news and it has spread like wild fire. If Volyn can hold on for just a minute it will mean Metalist win the league! The players are waiting on the pitch, nerbously looking at their phones and listening to the radio.

92 minutes - Polissya are pushing, the keeper is on the half way line. Klymchuk is looking for his hat trick, here is his chance! A cross is whipped in to the near post and he dives!! JUST WIDE! AND THERE FOES THE FULL TIME WHISTLE! It's all over, the whole season has just come down to the last 10 minutes! Polissya will be so disappointed they let the lead slip!

Full time - METALIST HAVE DONE IT! Voronin is swamped by the players, staff and fans alike! They have done it!

Thanks for joining us for this special report, what a day! Just like Aguerro's famous goal for Manchester City, this result will go down in Ukrainian history as a one of the best final days! Let's have a look around the grounds for the rest of the day's games!

Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 21.50.42.png

With the victory and the tital secured, Metalist fans will surely be celebrating well into the night in Kharkhiv and indeed around the world!

Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 21.51.01.png

Let's take a closer look at some of Metalist's team statistics in what will be a wonderful season to review for all involved.
Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 21.53.10.png

A heavy night of awards for Peixoto as he takes away many awards this season. It will be difficult for Metalist to keep hold of him surely.
Young player of the season, Mailton is heading back to Brazil after the end of his loan. He proved to be a very positive influence from the right back position.
Veteran striker Fomin also showed his worth by adding goals, with the goal of the season being his lovely free kick that got the whole league talking.

What next?

Next season poses a difficult problem for Voronin, his squad is unbalanced, with players either too old, not good enough or simply not ready for the top flight to take on the likes of Shaktar and Dynamo Kyiv.
Summer will be crucial for player recruitment but also for staff recruitment. It is rumoured a number of the aged staff members are looking to retire. Will Voronin be able to get the personnel he so desperately needs? The start of the new season is only a couple of months away and we will be there to report the news.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 21.32.09.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 21.32.09.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 7
Hey everyone just a quick update.

Unfortunately I have changed laptops and the save was corrupted which means the progress has been lost!

I really enjoyed this save and the final day drama and I had no doubt that we would have achieved our goal of filling the stadium to it's maximum capacity.

If I am able to find a save that hooks me, I may decide to share the journey with you all.

Until then happy gaming!