Reaction score
As you may know I had a long term save on FM14 with Salthill Devon called http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...lthill-devon-fc-obscurity-european-glory.html. I had tremendous success with them finishing with 3 Irish Premier Division Titles, 3 All Ireland Cups, 1 Irish Senior Challenge Cup, 1 Irish League Cup, Multiple Champions League Group Stages and even a Europa League 2nd Knockout Round Appearance.
Bringing them from an amateur First Division club with no money that was tipped to finish bottom to a professional top 100 European team was probably my greatest achievement in Football Manager. I wanted to try this again but as Salthill Devon are no longer in the Irish First Division I had to turn my attention elsewhere….

Galway F.C: Uniting The County
View attachment 724727
Founded 2013

Since Galway United F.C. exited the League of Ireland at the end of 2011 season, a supporters' group representing fans of Galway United, known as GUST (Galway United Supporters Trust), attempted to facilitate the return of Galway United to the League of Ireland but an application for the 2012 season was made after the deadline and in 2012 GUST were refused the opportunity to submit their application.
During 2013, discussions were held with Galway clubs, Mervue United and Salthill Devon along with the Galway Football Association and GUST, about having one unified team representing the county of Galway at the top level of Irish football as it was Football Association of Ireland's wish that one club should represent the city of Galway. In late 2013, Galway FC was established.
The club submitted a request to join the League of Ireland First Division for the 2014 season.
I’ve decided to do set it out in the following format.

Pre Season March-April

May-June July-August

September-October Post Season

View attachment 724828
Founded 2013

Galway FC’s Inaugural Manager

View attachment 320882

A big surprise occurred today as Australian/Irishman Dan Roper was unveiled today as Galway FC’s inaugural manager. Having only had previous experience as a Sunday league footballer with a National C Licence this wasn’t seen as a problem by Chairman Bernie O’Connell. In today’s press conference Roper remarked that Galway was the ideal club for him personally and it comes at the perfect time in his career.

A Short History

View attachment 320881

After only being founded at the back end of last year there is very little history to speak of and no trophies in the cabinet. It’s just begging to be filled! A much better stadium that holds 5000 people will hopefully give me more of a chance at making money for the club. Our local rivals are Sligo Rovers and Athlone Town. That’s interesting to me as Sligo Rovers were my main title rivals in my Salthill Devon save. Hopefully I’ll be renewing that rivalry in 12 months.

A First Look At The Squad

View attachment 320880

I’m very happy with this squad and can see why were predicted for third place. With the formations I’m planning on playing I probably need another winger and fullback. We haven’t been given any transfer budget and only another £253 on top of the wage budget.

Key Players

View attachment 320879 View attachment 320878

View attachment 320877 View attachment 320876

These are going to be the guys that will do the business for me this year. It’s a fairly young squad with only three players 26 or older. Hopefully these are guys we can build a squad around for years to come.

Tactical Blueprints

View attachment 320875 View attachment 320874 View attachment 320873

I would envisage that I will be using the 4-2-3-1 for the majority of this season as we should be a fairly strong team and look to dominate games.

Sky Bet Title Odds

View attachment 320872

Little bit more pressure on me than when I started this with Salthill as were made eaual favourites for promotion. That has to be my goal and anything short of that will be considered a failure.

Season Ticket Sales

View attachment 320871

An encouraging start with which to build on in the coming seasons. My highest ever at Salthill was 55 so this is quite pleasing.

Transfer Business

View attachment 320870

I bought in a few players to bulk out the squad a bit. I also got the versatile Rainsford who can play on both wings, as can Coughlan. Sean Byrne is a decent LB with Cusack a third ‘keeper and McGarry a young CB/CM.

Pre Season Form

View attachment 320869

A very successful pre season campaign even though we never played a tough opponent that truly pushed us. Hopefully that doesn’t hurt us come the season proper. I thought it was only fitting that I played Salthill Devon first to complete the transition from one club to the other.

Competitions Expectations Review

View attachment 320868

Nothing especially surprising or unrealistic here. Our run in the Challenge Cup will depend on the draw but I’m hopeful of making the playoffs in the First Division.

Should be a good tough challenge..I just started with part time shelbourne.!!
going to try do the same

Should be a good tough challenge..I just started with part time shelbourne.!!
going to try do the same

After Salthill this one will hopefully be a little easier. I started at the absolute bottom and it was very frustrating for the first few years but we came through it and I'm glad I stuck at it. That would be my greatest piece of advice. Stick with it and believe in what your doing. You will be rewarded.

Your totally right...part-time and no money is pain staking but it's too easy to jump in and take a premier club and mega millions and buy your team..I have to try find some gems in the under 19,s with rubbish facilities and hit the ground running..
good luck on your choice..i ll be subscribed

Your totally right...part-time and no money is pain staking but it's too easy to jump in and take a premier club and mega millions and buy your team..I have to try find some gems in the under 19,s with rubbish facilities and hit the ground running..
good luck on your choice..i ll be subscribed

What your saying there is what I believe is the essence of Football Manager. There's no real glory or pride in taking a top side and doing exactly what they would do anyway. It's taking a team with no money, no facilities and no reputation and turning them into a powerhouse. That's where the real satisfaction is. Thanks for reading.

Founded 2013

March-April 2014

Manager Of The Month For March

View attachment 320784

A good start to the season is highlighted by this award as we played some of the more difficult teams in this league and came out undefeated.

March-April Fixtures

View attachment 320783

A fantastic unbeaten start to the season including a very important win over Longford at home. Ryan Manning created a piece of history by being the first ever goal scorer for Galway FC as we started the season with three come from behind draws before hitting our straps with five straight wins.

League Standings/Player Stats

View attachment 320782

We hit the ground running in the league creating a seven point gap over third place only a third of the season in.
Ryan Manning has been banging them in which is impressive for a 17 year old. Two of our back four lead the average rating charts and Conor Barry and Jason Molloy are setting them up early.
Some of you may remember Barry from my Salthill story. In my first season I earmarked him as a future star and he was on his way to delivering before Dundalk ruined that by snapping him up for free as he was only on an amateur contract. The good news is this time around we have him tied to a semi pro contract so we might have a chance to see what he can do.

Top Performing Player

View attachment 320781

Three man of the matches in nine games and involved in quite a few of our goals he has been outstanding so far.

Top Performing Youngster

View attachment 320780

This was a real toss up as Conor Barry had two goals and five assists from five appearances but Manning’s six goals and two assists have been invaluable.

Founded 2013

May-June 2014

Manager Of The Month For May

View attachment 320729

Two wins in three months. A good start to my career and showing that the players are buying into my philosophy.

May-June Fixtures

View attachment 320728

Three wins, a draw and two losses in the league in this period. Conceding late against Longford was disappointing as we fought back twice to get something out of the game but have looked a bit leaky in defence conceding some soft goals. Getting knocked out of the League Cup wasn’t that bothering as I had no real interest in it but the performance we put in that game was frustrating. Progression in the Challenge Cup at the expense of Premier League U.C.D was encouraging as it has met the minimum board requirement.

View attachment 320727

So we lose ground on Longford over the last six games as we pass the halfway mark of the season. The loss to them didn’t help but we keep the waiting pack at bay. Ryan Manning continues to defy his youthful inexperience by scoring four more including a hat-trick against Shamrock Rovers B. Ludden, Connolly and Barrett are keeping up their highly consistent form in the average rating table.

Top Performing Player

View attachment 320726

Another consistent period for my incumbent LB, adding a couple of assists and MOM’s. I really rate how well my team is going by how my LB is performing. For some reason I’ve struggled over the years to have a good consistent LB so when I do get one I’m very thankful.

Top Performing Youngster

View attachment 320725

Even though Manning scored a few goals Barrett’s consistency down back has been marvellous for a 20 year old. He was one of the players I earmarked in the pre season as key to our promotion chances and he’s living up to those expectations so far.

Last edited:
I followed this in FM14 and loved it, plus i'm living in Galway during the college year and actually live around the corner from Deacy Park!

I followed this in FM14 and loved it, plus i'm living in Galway during the college year and actually live around the corner from Deacy Park!

It's a much better stadium than Salthill's. Gives me more scope to improve quicker as were making a small profit every month and getting more people to the ground. Plus I won't need to improve the stadium for a while which allows me to focus funds on other areas.

Founded 2013

July-August 2014

Manager Of The Month For July

View attachment 319620

Manager Of The Month For August

View attachment 319619

Two awards in two months suggest we have been dominant in the league. The team has come together really well and we’re bearing the fruit of it now.

July-August Fixtures

View attachment 319618

Undefeated in two months and only two points dropped sees us keep the pressure up on Longford in the race for the title. 30 goals in 10 games have been impressive while only conceding 8 is remarkable. The whole team is really gelling and buying into our philosophies. The win at home over Longford was crucial as it kept us on their tails when it was looking like we might have to settle for a playoff spot.
Attendances have greatly improved over the past couple of months with crowds of over 1,200 flocking to all our league games.
August also saw us progress to the Quarter Finals of the Challenge Cup where we will face Bluebell Utd after cruising past Tolka Rovers.

View attachment 319617

Our impressive league form has seen us create a ten point turnaround in the league in nine games, putting us in pole position to win the league with four games to go. Crucially our next match is against Longford away and if we can avoid a defeat there the league will be all but sewn up. Manning has once again continued his goal scoring form with 16 in 23 appearances. We've got a monopoly on the average rating charts with the top four all our players and Conor Barry leading the assist charts with Jason Molloy in second position.

Top Performing Player

View attachment 319616

Once again Marc Ludden is my player of the last two months. He has been simply outstanding and has barely put a foot wrong all season. Nothing has got past him defensively and he is involved quite a bit going forwards, involved in a lot of good attacks resulting in opportunities. His long throw stat has been invaluable creating havoc in opposition penalty boxes.

Top Performing Youngster

View attachment 319615

Another tough decision for the youngster award as Conor Barry has had a great run of late putting a few goals away but Connolly has been superb scoring some incredible strikes from outside the area and being very creative In the advanced playmaker role. I’m yet to tie him down beyond this season as he’s not interested in negotiating but hopefully if we gain promotion he will change his mind.

Its a shame Salthill aren't in the game any more. Hope this ends up being just as successful.

Its a shame Salthill aren't in the game any more. Hope this ends up being just as successful.

Thanks a lot. It is a real shame they aren't there as it would have been nice to see if I could repeat it in the updated version of the game. I've got a feeling this one might be as successful if not more successful in a shorter period of time

Founded 2013

September-October 2014

Youth Intake 2014

View attachment 314417

A really poor intake but that was to be expected considering our facilities.

Manager Of The Month For October

View attachment 314416

Another award but only two games played. We’ve had such a good season and it’s very pleasing to be rewarded for it.

September-October Fixtures

View attachment 314415

Well the Longford game didn’t go to plan as they scored a late goal to secure a crucial victory and put the pressure back on us to keep winning to stay ahead. Bluebell Utd took us to a replay in the Senior Challenge Cup before we were beat in the semi final by Cork City 2-1 in a game where I was very proud of the way the boys played. Meanwhile in the league we won our remaining three games comfortably meaning.…

Galway FC Crowned First Division Champions!!!

View attachment 314414

Incredibly we win the First Division in the club’s inaugural season beating our much more fancied opponents. It’s a real credit to the club who have put together an impressive squad that I barely had to invest in to be competitive so quickly. The real work starts now.

View attachment 314413

So confirmation of our title victory as we win by a comfortable seven points and a goal difference of 19. Finishing 19 points ahead of third place in a 28 game season shows the gulf between the top two and the chasing pack. After three straight draws to open our campaign we only dropped 12 more points in 25 games. Very impressive.
As far as the player stats go promising youngster Ryan Manning finished with 16 goals and our players dominated the average rating charts while Conor Barry and Jason Molloy led the league in assists.