Gaming PC

Jakey2303

Reaction score
Hello all, I am wishing for a gaming PC for Christmas as I am looking to branch out from just FM and I am currently rocking one of the worst laptops known to man. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing when it comes to buying a PC, like what components are important and where to buy one from. From what I have gathered from briefly looking on the internet Alienware PCs are very overpriced for what you get and not worth it compared to a custom PC.

Any help on any of these topics or any others relative to the subject would be much appreciated, as I dont want to make a mistake on such an expensive purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Hey mate. You hit the nail on the head when it comes to AlienWare and the likes of the Dell XPS systems.

Well if its a PC your after custom is the way to go. It ensures you get bang for your buck. Look for an intel i5 or i7 ivy bridge processor with at least 2.7 GHZ clock speed. Quad core is the way to go. Then next youll probably want 6-8GB ram although you could get more. Next thing is most likely an Asus motherboard. they really are top quality.
As regards graphics card its down to you. ATI/AMD or nVidia are both the top makes and you should be looking for a 1-2GB dedicated card depending on your budget. Shop around and let google become your best friend :)

i5 Intel quad core processor (don't have to get the k version as you won't need to overclock it and save a few hundred)

4-8gb DDR3 1666 or 1888mhz RAM Corsair is the best! G Skill Ripjaw is also very, very good! probably the best! if you are just going to game and not run other apps then 4gb is more than enough! 8gb will be perfect for a few years :)

ASRock and Asus make the best boards, well best priced!

Graphics card, Nvidia is my choice! make sure its at least a 256bit and have at least 1gb of DDR5 RAM! 2gb will be better for the future and wont cost that much more!

the Intel i5 processors work the best with Nvidia, they have bottlenecking problems with the ATI cards.. trust me!

you need at least a 750w power supply to power the card properly

SSD hardrives are really expensive but worth it if you have the cash, otherwise Seagate Barracuda's are my favourite and last forever!

Any box that will fit everything into nicely will suffice! Nvidia have teamed up with Coolermaster and have great towers!

Tomshardware.com is a good site to check reviews

Thankyou both! Some really great info for me here and I can finally look properly into getting one. All that I ask is how much would these kind of PCs cost?

CyberPowerPc.com

Sells both in USA and UK

have bought two products from them and they have been top notch. Cheap, fast delivery, and lots and lots and lots of options.

Alienware PCs are very good mine cost me 2k at the time is worth every penny if you want a pure gaming machine mine is an area 51 model plays any game in the market but evan though i spent a lot of money they are over priced but still very good

Do not get an alienware, they really are over priced for what you get, you pay for the name more than anything.
I would recommend Custom Build Gaming PC, Desktop PC, Custom Computers, Gaming Laptops I got my system from their US branch.
Also if you are not sure what to put in it, just ask on the build question forum, tell them your budget and what you want it for and they will recommend a solid build for you