Gary Lineker - A Return to Goodison

LS9193

Reaction score
View attachment 225570

Today it has been revealed David Moyes has resigned as Everton manager as he feels he has taken the team as far as he can go. It would have been Moyes 12 year in charge of the Toffees but he has now decided to pass the torch on. Fans are said to be gutted with Moyes but are grateful for the hard work he has put into the club.

Many different names have been thrown into the hat, but the one on most of the fans lips is said to Paul Lambert. But with him just achieving promotion with Norwich he supposedly isn’t interested. One fan suggested Gary Lineker, which caused a ripple of laughter throughout the rest of the fans surrounding. One thing is for sure, it’s not going to be Lineker.

View attachment 225572
Moyes after last Home game of season

View attachment 225580

The hunt for the next Everton manager has officially started today. Bill Kenwright is said to have received multiple applications for the job, he is said to have a basic shortlist of three and will announce who is to be appointed sometime next week.

The three men are known as Alan Curbishly, Alan Pardew or Gary Lineker. Curbishly and Pardew are creditable managers with previous success, but Lineker is yet to manage and some fans are completely confused by the chairman’s thinking.

Lineker had a spell at Everton but as a player. It was only for a year but to say he was prolific for the Toffee’s would be an understatement. Having scored 40 goals in 57 (30 in the league). He then went to the World Cup of 86 and won the Golden Shoe, which caught the attention of Barcelona. He completed a move for £2.8 Million.

If Lineker was to be appointed, the Everton supporters will be hoping he can teach the current crop of strikers a thing or two.​

View attachment 225573
Lineker (right)

View attachment 225570

It has today been confirmed by the Everton board that Gary Lineker will be the new man in charge for the 2011/2012 campaign. The news has certainly shaken the footballing world as no-one expected Lineker to be appointed.

With SkyBet Lineker was 44/1 to be the next man in charge at Goodison Park, Kenwright has obviously seen something in Lineker and allowed him the opportunity. Lineker is said to be shocked and extremely excited at the prospect of taking charge of a team close to his heart.

Linekers first competitive game in charge will be at Anfield as his Everton side kick off the season with the Merseyside derby against Liverpool.

View attachment 225571
Lineker promoting Walkers earlier this month.

Those were just some of the reports from Journalists from their respected companies. I will be writting my personal story on my adventure of manager of Everton FC. Hopefully it will be a successful journey and get
Everton back to the position they used to finish in back in the days i used to pull on the Blue Jersey. Next update will be up either tomorrow or tonight with a list of my Transfers and my first months in the League.

Any comments are welcome. Like to know what you guys think! (btw I'm not a Evertonian)

Last edited:
Good start , interesting read. Keep it up!

First month of management

My first full month in charge of Everton wasn’t as busy as I first expected. I thought I would have been flooded by the media but thankfully it was pretty quiet. I don’t think anyone expected me to do a good job to be fair, but I am definitely going to prove all the doubters wrong!

It was pretty tough saying goodbye to the Match of the Day team, been working on that show for quite some time now and became real good friends with the people who worked there. Shearer gave me a little advice on management. All though his spell with Newcastle was a short one he had experienced quite a lot within the time he had in charge. So his advice was more the welcome.

I was all set and ready for my new job & life. Although I enjoyed my job at Match of the Day, I was excited to leave it behind as I had a new chapter in my life to look forward to. Let’s just hope it’s a success.

View attachment 225710
Me and Alan back in the day

Transfers In's & Out's

In all honesty this was what I was looking forward to the most. Putting my own stamp on the team and bringing in who I believe would help push Everton in the right direction. Also letting players go who I felt were supplement to requirement.

But I was disappointed to find out that I would only be starting with a budget of £2 Million. When I received the news the first thing that came to my head was to run through the squad and see who wasn’t needed, so I could bring in some extra funds. Here are the players I decided to sell.

Out's​

Tony Hibbert – We already had 3 RB’s when I joined the club so I felt selling one of them wouldn’t hinder the team. A £5 Million loan fee was arranged with Newcastle and they could purchase him for free whenever they wished

Jan Mucha – Once again we had 3 Keepers and with Hahnemann being 39 years of age I wouldn’t of made any profit off him. So decided Mucha would be sold to Celtic for £2.5 Million

Victor Anichebe – Wasn’t of the quality I expected of him. Was loaned to Wigan for a fee of £3.5 Million with the option to purchase for free at any time.

So with those players sold for a combined total of £11 Million, I now had a transfer budget of £13 Million. That was more like it! Here is who I brought in.

In's

Darwin Quintero- A real poacher was needed as we were pretty lack lustre upfront, and over the last couple of season Everton has missed an out and out goal scorer. £2.5 Million for the former Laguna

View attachment 225707
Quintero in action last season

Michael Lumb – Brought in as cover for the brilliant Leighton Baines. At the price of £625k it is quite a good buy and he will get some game time for sure.

View attachment 225706
Lumb representing Denmark

Xherdan Shaqiri – Biggest transfer for us this season by far. The young Swiss left winger has great potential and it is one of my aims to bring it out of him over the next couple of years. For £8 Million Shaqiri brings great pace and dribbling to the team, and I’m hoping he’s going to huge success.

View attachment 225708
Shaqiri celebrating a goal

August Results
Had never been so nervous in my entire life, having played in multiple Football tournaments and Football being such an important factor in my life, I thought it would be a piece of cake. But it certainly wasn’t.

There are certain responsibilities that come with being a manager, you only really understand that until you get in the Dugout and begin to watch your team. I was shocked at how much hard work has to be put into this job, but I am certainly going to grab it by the scruff of the neck and give it my best shot!

Anyways, the first month of my managerial career is over, here is how it went.
View attachment 225740Match Day 1
Liverpool 1-2 Everton

View attachment 225754

What a way to start my managerial career. To beat Liverpool at Anfield is brilliant! We started off well and an early penalty was converted by Tim Cahill. Liverpool looked like another team after the break, and equalised through a brilliant finish from Andy Carroll.

But on 74mins a terrible mistake by Reina as he dropped the ball right in front of Saha for him to shoot at goal, take a deflection off Skrtel and put us 2-1 up.

We had to withstand some heavy pressure from Liverpool but we managed to hand on and record out first victory of the season.

View attachment 225755

View attachment 225740
Match Day 2
Everton 4-0 Newcastle

View attachment 225736
First home game and win of the season. It was emphatic to say the least. Scored 3 goals with-in the first 20 minutes, 2 coming from Bilyaletdinov after great work from Drenthe down the left wing, he managed to find his team mate on both occasions for him to smash them into the back of the net.

Jack Rodwell opened the scoring on 13 minutes with a screamer from outside the box. Leon Osman added the fourth and final goal.

View attachment 225733
View attachment 225741
Carling Cup 2nd Round
Everton 2-1 Bristol Rovers

View attachment 225739

Decided to let a few youngsters take to the field, for the Carling Cup 2nd​ round matchup against Bristol Rover’s. Rover’s nearly caused an upset having taken my boys to extra time, but we managed to nick it with a late Jose Baxter goal on the stroke of the 104 minute.

Ross Barkley stood out in particular in this match, completely dominated the midfield and managed to get himself on the score sheet.We will now face Tottenham in the 3rd​ round at Goodison Park

View attachment 225734
View attachment 225740
Match Day 3
Norwich 0-2 Everton

View attachment 225738

Two late goals from Phil Jagielka helped us to ensure we would top the table going into September. We dominated the match from start to finish, but just couldn’t break down the defence, and when we did Ruddy was there to insure his side stayed level.

The first goal came from a corner in the 80th​ minute. Baines whipped it into the front post for Jagielka to score his first of the season. The second came from another set-piece which was almost identical to the first goal, but this time it was a free-kick into the front post. Jagielka met it again and sealed the 3 points for us Toffee’s

View attachment 225732

Review of August

To say we have had a fantastic start would be an understatement. Winning our first 4 competetive games and doing it in style was brilliant. Stand out performances from Rodwell, Drenthe and Bilyaletdinov have been the key to our early success.

We are currently sitting top of the Premier League heading into September and things are looking good. One negative is that my strikers don’t seem to be scoring. But when they do it’s just going to make us even stronger which I cannot wait for!

View attachment 225752

View attachment 225751

Next update will be up sometime today! Any comments are welcomed!​

Last edited:
Quality mate, following for sure!
My dad's an Evertonian so I sort of follow them abit
Nice work with the loans out of the club as well, managed to get funds in, and not be guaranteed to lose the player permanently

Quality mate, following for sure!
My dad's an Evertonian so I sort of follow them abit
Nice work with the loans out of the club as well, managed to get funds in, and not be guaranteed to lose the player permanently

Cheers man, yeah the loans are decent! Thanks for the comment

Great start , keep up the interesting work!

Just before I start the update for September I’d like to show you the 2 end of month awards that people involved with Everton won

Jack Rodwell managed to pick up Young Player of the month award, with Shaqiri finishing in a close second.

View attachment 225786

Also I managed to bag my first Manager of the month award in which of course was my first month as a manager. Just beat Roberto Mancini who finished a close second.

View attachment 225787

September Results

After the success of my first month in charge of Everton, I was looking for us to really push on keep the good form coming. We had been really impressive in August and I was hoping that we wouldn’t fizzle out and that we could keep it going.

We had found ourselves in unknown territory as we were sitting top of the league. Setting a target of trying to win the league is a stretch to far so at the end of this month, or maybe October I will evaluate our performance and the league table and see what a realistic target is. Anyways here is how we managed in October.

View attachment 225797
Match Day 4
Everton 1-0 Stoke

View attachment 225789
A solid performance against Stoke, which saw us record our 4th​ straight win in the league. We wasn’t as convincing as we were in the previous performances but we certainly deserved to win the match.

A penalty was won by Baines after a reckless challenge by Pennant just inside the box. Baines picked himself from the foul, and converted the penalty with 39 minutes on the clock.

We created chances but once again Saha/Quintero weren’t on the best of form and failed to find the target.

View attachment 225796

Match Day 5
Wolves 1-0 Everton

View attachment 225791

Our run of 4 straight wins in the league was over. Pretty unlucky to be fair as we certainly deserved at least a draw from the match. I’m sure if our strikers were on form we wouldn’t of lost the match.

We were defeated from a goal by Christophe Berra on the 26th​ minute. A great header from the corner, Howard couldn’t do anything about it and we were beaten.

Looking to bounce back instantly with a win in our next match, which is against Spurs in the Carling Cup.

View attachment 225795

Carling Cup 3rd Round
Everton 2-1 Tottenham

View attachment 225788

I have decided to give this competition a real go this season, as I feel we are more than capable of winning it. Although we went into extra time once again, we managed to score a goal late on an seal our way into the Fourth Round.

We took the lead in the match from another penalty by Baines in the 26th​ minute, which was brilliantly taken by him. But midway through the second half, Adebayor scored a magical goal taking on 3-4 Everton players and blasting the ball past Howard to level the match.

We managed to nick it with 2 minutes remaining in extra time, when Gomes fumbled a long range effort from Drenthe, and Shaqiri was there to finish it off.

We will visit Molinuex in the next round as we have Wolves away.

View attachment 225793

View attachment 225797
Match Day 6
Everton 4-1 West Brom

View attachment 225790

A master class from Tim Cahill helped secure us a big win against West Brom. There was drama early on in this game as we were awarded a penalty, strangely normal penalty taker Baines wasn’t up for taking the penalty as he had a slight knock. So Phil Jagielka decided to take the spot kick, but he cannoned the ball of the crossbar and back into play.

But 2 minutes later the ball found Cahill on the edge of the box and he made no mistake, with a fantastic finish in the top left hand corner. Sylvain Distin then added a second for us, with his first start of the season. After a great delivery by Baines into the back stick, Distin made no mistake with his finish and sent the ball past a hopeless Ben Foster.

Darwin Quintero then added another 2 goals in the 49th​ and 77th​ minute of the match. He took them very well and is finally starting to show some promise.

Chris Brunt grabbed West Brom a conciliation from the spot in the 83rd​ minute. But it was a hopeless display from West Brom which helped secure another 3 points for us!

View attachment 225794

Review of September

Although we lost our first game of the season, it was still a strong and good month from us. We find ourselves sitting in 2nd​ place in the table just behind Manchester City, who we face next away from Home.

Hopefully we can keep the momentum going into October and challenge for a European place come the end of the season.

View attachment 225792

View attachment 225785

Keep the comments coming guys! Like to know what you all think!​