Gary Megson - On The Rise To Greatness!

farman95

Reaction score

Coventry sack Andy Thorn
_62503978_andy_thorn_getty.jpg

Coventry have sacked Andy Thorn after a row with the Coventry board over the Transfer Budget.
A statement on the Clubs official website said: "By decision of the Coventry Board the club have decided a shake-up of coaching staff is whats needed to help this club progress.

Next Sky Blues Manager?

Phil Brown - 3/1
Chris Wilder - 5/1
Terry Connor - 7/1
Dennis Wise - 15/1
Paul Ince - 20/1

Coventry are already in the search for manager as former Hull boss Phil Brown as already expressed is interest in the job and is reported to be set for talks with the club as early as Tuesday. However Coventry development director Steve Waggot revealed there had been a number of names shortlisted for the job and they will make their decision carefully.
Coventry_City_FC.png

Sky Blues announce Megson as Boss

C_71_article_1137982_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

Former Bolton manager Gary Megson has been announced as the new manager of Coventry City Football Club.
Megson signed a 2 year deal replacing Andy Thorn. A statement from the club website has been released stating there reason for the appointment. "Megson has great experience of managing in these divisions, We the board believe he is the man to take this proud football club back where it belongs in the top division of English Football.

Press Conference
Gary, in your last job you were sacked after taking Sheffield Wednesday out of this same league, are you not concerned the same might happen again?
Megson: I spoke with the board and am excited that we both share the same ambition for the club and I hope to take this team their.

You have never been the most popular of managers and some fans have already expressed there doubts, does this concern you?
Megson: I understand fans concern but I hope to work with the fans together to bring this club forward.

July

A hectic pre-season for Sky Blues boss Gary Megson saw him capture some impressive signings. Megson used his vast knowledge in the transfer market to capture some impressive free transfers.

Sky-Sports-Transfer-Center-800_2474516.jpg

Transfers
Ins
Emmanuel Boakye - Free Transfer
344.jpg

Megson has took risk on the former Sparta Rotterdam full back as the young Ghanian has had problems with his fitness.

Vincent Bessat - Free Transfer
vbessat.jpg

Megson has also captured French winger Vincent Bessat also on a free transfer to bolster his attacking options this season. The former Tolouse winger is comfortable on both wings with an explosive shot.

Ferrie Bodde - Free Transfer
bodde7.gif

Probaly the most impressive signing of all for Megson. Former Swansea midfield general Ferrie Bodde was quite a surprise to most fans. Bodde has also been handed the captain this season.

Jean Philippe Sabo- Free Transfer
104724.jpg

Megson worked his magic one more in the transfer market as the young full back Sabo swapped the sky blue of Marseille for Coventry. Although a full back it is thought Megson might use the young Frenchman in a more advanced position.

Matty Pattison - Sundowns - £30K
Matty-Pattison_2510038.jpg

The final signing for Megson saw former Newcastle and Norwich midfielder Matty Pattison sign from South African outfit Sundowns for a bargain £35K. The South African reported that he had missed the English game.

feedback would be much appreciated positive or negative as i'm new to this.

July 2011
Pre-Season Frendlies
Coventry 3-1 Rangers
Charlie Telfer (9)
Kevin Malaga (25)
Stephen Elliot (33)
Gordon **** own goal (90+1)
Stephen Elliot missed penalty (67)
Man of the Match:
Kevin Malaga
First friendly of the pre-season against the recently punished Rangers, despite being dropped down to the Scottish Third Divsion the Glasgow team still put out a very strong side. I was very impressed with the debutant Jean Philippe Sabo who I signed during the summer.
View attachment 275349

Coventry
1-0
Cardiff
David McGoldrick (36)
Man of the Match: David McGoldrick
I was very proud of this peformance as the boys outclassed a well established Championship side. Loanee David McGoldrick looked dangerous everytime the ball came near him.
View attachment 275348

Nuneaton 1-3 Coventry
Vincent Bessat (16)
Stephen Elliot (31)
Richard Wood (50)
Man of the Match: John Fleck
A straight forward win for the boys, decided to experiment with a 3-5-2 tactic which worked pretty well. The two centre midfielders had a great game in the system. Fleck and new signing Pattison linked up wonderfully.
View attachment 275346

Coventry 8-0 Hinckley
David McGoldrick (14,67)
Stephen Elliot (17, pen 25, 62)
Adam Barton (58)
Steve Jennings (60)
Emmanuel Boakye (73)

Man of the Match: Stephen Elliot
Once again I stuck with the 3-5-2 formation and didn't it pay off! The two up top McGoldrick and Elliot looked unplayable and the two will be a major factor in our success this coming season. With almost 70% possesion the new tactic works well at winning the ball back high up the park and keeping the ball.
View attachment 275347

Coventry_City_FC.png

Last edited:
Coventry_City_FC.png

August 2011
League One Underway
Its the moment every football fan has been waiting for this summer, the football is finally back. Coventry know this has to be the year the get promoted, there is no excuses this year. Gary Megson has been appointed to make sure this happens and having already spent quite alot on free transfers so he can not afford to slip up this season. Coventry kick off with a potentially tricky home tie against newly promoted Swindon Town.

6th August 2011 - 15:00

Coventry 2-1 Swindon
goal.png
Stephen Elliot (2)
David McGoldrick (21)

Gary Roberts (64)

Man of the Match: Stephen Elliot
elliott2-h144-327043_478x359.jpg

Coventry debutee Stephen Elliot tore Swindon apart and this game looked beyond Swindon quite early on. A lovely ball by fellow debutee Matty Pattison split the defence in too as Elliot finished cleverly. After a sustained bit of possesion Elliot turned provider as he slotted another debutee, Nottingham Forest loanee McGoldrick through as he cooly doubled the sky blues lead. Coventry took the foot of the gas a bit in the second half and switched off at a set peice as Roberts pulled one back to make for a edgy end to the game. However a strong assured start to the season for Megson and his men.
View attachment 275356

Coventry_City_FC.png

9th August 2011
Team News
Megson decided to rest a number of players for this league cup tie. With only 4 players starting from the team who beat Swindon. Barton, Kilbane, Ball, Christie, Dunn, Bell and McSheffery all came in.

9th August 2011 - 15:00
Capital One Cup 1st Round

Aldershot 0-2 Southampton
Matty Pattison (10)
David McGoldrick (85)

Man of the Match: Matty Pattison
Norwich+City+v+Ipswich+Town+Cn2Xv4bsRpJl.jpg

Megson continued his 100% record as Coventry boss after a comfortable away cup tie to 4th tier side Aldershot. Former Newcastle midfield hardman Pattison made a burst from midfield and rounded the keeper to give Coventry the lead. A determined Aldershot side denied the Sky Blues the freedom to play their usual flowing passing football however McGoldrick made it 2 in 2 as Boakye made a terrific run down the right as he crossed for the Forest loanee to diving header late on to end all hope for Aldershot.

Coventry_City_FC.png
13th August 2011
Team News
Megson has chosen to change from his 3-5-2 formation to a more defensive 4-5-1 as he looks for back to back wins at the start of his campaign for promotion. McGoldrick his demoted to the bench after his midweek heroics as the team is shuffled around.

13th August 2011 - 15:00

Stevenage 0 - 1 Coventry

Man of the Match: Matty Pattison

7b2b480964909889ff05c46d7101b264_412x367.jpg

Megson continues his impressive start to his Coventry career as his team outclassed newly promoted Stevenage. Megsons side kept possesion for long periods in this League Two clash and Matty Pattison showed his class today as he displayed calmness on the ball and tenaciousness off it. Coventry struggled to make chances in the first half despite large spells of possesion, this triggered Megson into making two bold half time subsitutions as McGoldrick and McShefferely came on for the dissapointing Bessat and Bell. An instant impact my McGoldrick as he danced into the box to lay the ball to Elliott who cooly passed the ball into the net for his 2nd game in as many games for the only goal of this game.
View attachment 275358

Coventry_City_FC.png

16th August 2011
Team News
Coventry revert to there more familiar 3-5-2 as they came up against a strong Oldham side. The injured Vincent Bessat dropped out for McSheffery, McGoldrick came in for Pattison who was rested. Sabo and Boakye were rested for Kilbane and Wood.

16th August 2011 - 19:45

Coventry 2 - 0 Oldham
David Bell (34)
David McGoldrick (60)

Man of the Match: David Bell

coventry-city-player-david-bell-649935957.jpg

Megsons side made it 4 wins in a row as they overcame a resolute Oldham side, David Bell rewarded his manager for keeping him in the side with a solid peformance on the wing. He looked dangerous throughout the game and broke the deadlock on the 34th minute as the ball broke to Fleck who delivered an inch perfect ball as Bell finished comfortably. McGoldrick made it 3 in as many starts after he finished
View attachment 275368

Coventry_City_FC.png

20th August 2011

N-Power League One - Match 4
Sheffield United v Coventry

Starting line-up
View attachment 275395

Sheffield United 1-2 Coventry
Nick Montgomery(11)
David McGoldrick (61)
Gary McShefferey (78)

image-10-for-coventry-city-0-burton-albion-0-coventry-win-10-9-on-pens-gallery-610811871.jpg

Megson:"I was very happy with the second half peformance of the boys, not so much the first. I went with the 4-5-1 formation which maybe was a bit too cautious and we got caught early on, however i changed the shape in the second half and I think that David likes being up top there and he's proved that to me with his 4th in 4 I was happy to see Gary on the scoresheet too after coming off the bench."
View attachment 275396

Can you please do monthly updates istead? Otherwise it will take very long time for one season.

Can you please do monthly updates istead? Otherwise it will take very long time for one season.
i was just thinking that, i will finish this month first then do monthly reports but i want to do full match reports on big games

Coventry_City_FC.png

23 August 2011

Capital One Cup - Second Round
Coventry v Sunderland

Starting line-up
View attachment 275460

Coventry 2-5 Sunderland
Fraizer Campbell(32, 53)
Callum Ball (45)
Sebastian Larson (49)
David McGoldrick (50)
James McLean (59)
Craig Gardner (66)

coventry-s-star-man-david-mcgoldrick-holds-off-a-challenge-from-lucas-akins-of-stevenage-697027461.jpg

Megson:"I was actually quite proud and surprised by our peformance. For long periods of the match we actually looked in control and the better of the teams despite Sunderland being a established Premiership side and us a 2 divisions below, only definsive mistakes stopped us from making an impressive result. I was happy for the young lad Callum Ball with his first goal, he took it well."
View attachment 275459

Coventry_City_FC.png

27 August 2011

N-Power League One - Match 5
Coventry v MK Dons

Starting line-up
View attachment 275463

Coventry 4-2 MK Dons
David Bell own goal (44)
David McGoldrick (67, 71, 90+1)
Callum Ball (80)
Gary McKenzie (90)

david-mcgoldrick-battles-for-coventry-against-stevenage-828644178.jpg

Megson:"I was actually quite dissapointed with this peformance, we were very lucky we have two wonderful strikers who bailed us out, Ball and McGoldrick were sensational apart from that we were very very poor and were outclased by MK Dons. The midfield of Jimmy Bullard and Alan Smith was too much for us. However i'm happy with the result. "
View attachment 275464

I will be doing monthly updates from now as it is a bit time consuming doing it match by match. P.s is anyone actually reading this? lol