Gary Neville and the standards of football punditry

The majority of fans don't appreciate that side of the sport.. It's very "American" to them and they prefer to have a sporting icon belittling professionals for making mistakes as if this has never happened before.. It's the way football has always been. Neville does a great job but I don't think that sort of punditry should take over, I appreciate MOTD and the mind-numbing boredom it puts me though.. Although, some of the guest they have on their are horrendous (most recently Kompany & Owen). Also, how Harry Redknapp is allowed on is beyond me, the guys a total pleb. At the end of the day, regardless of what people think about Shearer and co. they are ex-pro's, nobody knows the game better than them but they only get so long to talk about a match, it could 15 minutes, it could be 3.. So don't condemn them for not having the freedom Neville has, as I'm sure they'd love to.

At the end of the day, MOTD is casual viewing, people who pay for subscription services such as Sky Sports can expect much more depth to their programming but the BBC's hands are pretty much tied and I think they do an adequate job of it.

Ahh, so the BBC aren't accountable to provide better programming to licence fee payers, but we should expect Sky to do it for their subscription fees?

Something i have been saying for years lol, same situation with Sturridge too in my opinion.

I think the whole "Walcott is a striker played out wide, therefore it's fine that he can't cross" might be wearing a little thin now that he hasn't played as a striker in about four years.

The majority of fans don't appreciate that side of the sport.. It's very "American" to them and they prefer to have a sporting icon belittling professionals for making mistakes as if this has never happened before.. It's the way football has always been. Neville does a great job but I don't think that sort of punditry should take over, I appreciate MOTD and the mind-numbing boredom it puts me though.. Although, some of the guest they have on their are horrendous (most recently Kompany & Owen). Also, how Harry Redknapp is allowed on is beyond me, the guys a total pleb. At the end of the day, regardless of what people think about Shearer and co. they are ex-pro's, nobody knows the game better than them but they only get so long to talk about a match, it could 15 minutes, it could be 3.. So don't condemn them for not having the freedom Neville has, as I'm sure they'd love to.

But their job isn't just to KNOW about the game, it's to convey their knowledge in a proper, interesting and in-depth manner. Shearer, for example, is ******* atrocious at conveying anything past "If you kick a ball towards goal it might go in". A wonderful footballer? Yes. Someone who has a unique and interesting insight into the game? Perhaps. A pundit who can actually put those insights and views across to the viewer? Christ no. I'm not asking for half an hour of analysis with diagrams and pie charts, I just want someone articulate and well-researched, who can put across their point of view with brevity whilst not sacrificing their points.

Maybe they WOULD love to talk for as much time as Neville gets, but nothing they've ever said has ever given the slightest indication they'd do it in such an informed and well-researched manner as him. That's the difference here; not time, but effort and research. It's their job and they should treat it as such, not just a pension.

At the end of the day, MOTD is casual viewing, people who pay for subscription services such as Sky Sports can expect much more depth to their programming but the BBC's hands are pretty much tied and I think they do an adequate job of it.

Adequate shouldn't really be good enough. They should be striving to be the best, not just chugging along throwing out the same tired old cliches because it's safe and "adequate".

They don't need to chuck it all out and start again. Just look at how effective Lee Dixon was. Whether or not a prospective pundit was/is a good footballer or not shouldn't be the first thing the BBC looks at; rather, they should look at whether they'd be a good broadcaster, because this is broadcast TV. This doesn't happen anywhere else. Brian *** wasn't chosen to present science programmes on the Beeb because he is the best physicist, he was chosen because he can present complex advanced physics in an approachable and intelligent manner to an audience that is even more varied than the one that MotD broadcasts to. He's a very clever person, yes, but in this role he's primarily a very good presenter, and that's the sort of model MotD should follow.

There's a growing market for the more intelligent, considered punditry Neville provides here in the UK. Neville's success and huge popularity as a pundit - even amongst fans of teams who should hate him really - is indicative to me of people WANTING that kind of commentary. The thing is, they've NEVER been offered this kind of punditry before. Who are we to say that the majority of people want what they see on MotD when they've never been offered the alternative? Treat the audience like adults and perhaps they'll actually enjoy it.

To be fair, I think 90% of the country need someone like Shearer to tell them 'That was a good pass' or 'They were losing so decided to try and win' or things of that magnitude. Neville is great, but I think in the 30 seconds or so they get on MoTD even he would struggle to divulge anything worthwhile.

What they should do, is have individual highlights from each match on the website, and have some actual in-depth analysis from someone following, which could last for however long they want it to last for. Have those up the morning after MoTD or something? Either way, I doubt the current crop of ex pros will be replaced for some time.

I don't actually mind MOTD personally, but I can see why others don't like. That being said, I only really watch it for the highlights as i can't really fork out for Sky Sports and there is basically no alternative.

However, although I dislike Neville as a player, I have to say, he is a very good pundit and deserves recognition for his punditry.

For several years now I have Sky+'d MOTD and simply fast forward clowns Hansen, Shearer and co talking muck in my ears and just watch the actual highlights. One of the greatest inventions since sliced bread is also ESPN Goals. 2 minute highlights of each match. Boom.

As a Liverpool fan it took alot for him to win me over, and sadly I think that's happened. His punditry is top class and very thorough - however it isn't hard to look good when you're surrounded by laughable 'pundits' such as Ray Wilkins and Niall Quinn. What really does irk me is when they get Neville on as co-commentator. He has the most ******* boring voice known to man, coupled with an ****** whenever a good goal is scored. Please just stay in the studio and analyse the game, so I don't have to listen to you for 90 minutes.

why is that idiot on the tv(neville) when commenting on games why does he have to start going on about his playing days ? we are not watching his playing days so why tell us about them ? he is the most biased pundit on tv unless you count that moron tilsley on itv. iwatched a europa league game between to russian clubs and for 15 mins solidly he went on about man utd and christiano ronaldo why ? i later did some research neither of the sides had ever faced utd and ronaldo had never played against them either? lets face facts neville is on sky so they dont upset fergie as there isnt a famous man utd player on there punditry staff and fergie didnt want a repeat of andry gray when he slagged off utd and fergie didnt speak to them for a year. sky should use alan smith wilkins and redknapp more 3 pundits totally unbiased neville should stick to his coahing the england team another job he wont be any good at sky should do us all a favour and sack him

why is that idiot on the tv(neville) when commenting on games why does he have to start going on about his playing days ? we are not watching his playing days so why tell us about them ? he is the most biased pundit on tv unless you count that moron tilsley on itv. iwatched a europa league game between to russian clubs and for 15 mins solidly he went on about man utd and christiano ronaldo why ? i later did some research neither of the sides had ever faced utd and ronaldo had never played against them either? lets face facts neville is on sky so they dont upset fergie as there isnt a famous man utd player on there punditry staff and fergie didnt want a repeat of andry gray when he slagged off utd and fergie didnt speak to them for a year. sky should use alan smith wilkins and redknapp more 3 pundits totally unbiased neville should stick to his coahing the england team another job he wont be any good at sky should do us all a favour and sack him

First things first. Please use some actual spacing and paragraphs. It's almost impossible to read what you write.

Secondly clearly you have never consistently listened to Gary Neville, and as usual you have spectacularly missed the point. The one thing that everyone from all sides, even people who used to hate him as a player, love is that he is unbiased. In fact he is actually more critical of United than pro- United.

Just read the above comments. You have THREE Liverpool fans, all of whom hated him as a player, praising just how good he is. This isn't just echoed on this forum, but by just about every paper and journalist out there.

The idea that he is only on there for SAF is nonsense and wrong. You do realise Dwight Yorke played for United right? You also realise that Gary Neville was constantly critical of United'd defending this season?

Your facts arent facts at all.

Last edited:
First things first. Please use some actual spacing and paragraphs. It's almost impossible to read what you write.

Secondly clearly you have never consistently listened to Gary Neville, and as usual you have spectacularly missed the point. The one thing that everyone from all sides, even people who used to hate him as a player, love is that he is unbiased. In fact he is actually more critical of United than pro- United.

Just read the above comments. You have THREE Liverpool fans, all of whom hated him as a player, praising just how good he is. This isn't just echoed on this forum, but by just about every paper and journalist out there.

The idea that he is only on there for SAF is nonsense and wrong. You do realise Dwight Yorke played for United right? You also realise that Gary Neville was constantly critical of United'd defending this season?

Your facts arent facts at all.

I can't believe you felt he deserved a reply Mike.! As the saying goes: Who's the bigger fool, the fool or the one who replies to him ;)

I can't believe you felt he deserved a reply Mike.! As the saying goes: Who's the bigger fool, the fool or the one who replies to him ;)

If that were true, we'd never be able to respond to fascists short of sit-down silent protests.

I do agree that Mike. is a fool though. He doesn't like my jokes about prawn crackers.

I actually thought you were going to quote Obi Wan from Star Wars New Hope lol (hiding in Falcon when captured by Death Star)

I actually thought you were going to quote Obi Wan from Star Wars New Hope lol (hiding in Falcon when captured by Death Star)

I don't remember any 'Death Star' in Star Wars? What's 'New Hope'?

My favourite character is Jar-Jar.

It's pretty much the same quote, just adapted for FM base. Keen observation my young apprentice. /nerd

I don't remember any 'Death Star' in Star Wars? What's 'New Hope'?

My favourite character is Jar-Jar.

I honestly don't know if you're joking due to the way you wind people up...so I won't do a Sheldon Cooper XD

Anyone who likes Jar Jar deserves a cyber slap of epic proportions. Or as Russell Howard said "off you ****" lol.

It's pretty much the same quote, just adapted for FM base. Keen observation my young apprentice. /nerd

All I can say is...I know evey single word spoken in the first Death Star battle, battle of Hoth and Battle for Endor/2nd Death Star. I am a nerd of epic proportions pmsl

I honestly don't know if you're joking due to the way you wind people up...so I won't do a Sheldon Cooper XD

Anyone who likes Jar Jar deserves a cyber slap of epic proportions. Or as Russell Howard said "off you ****" lol.

I looked up 'New Hope'. It's from those old films that only old people watch. The computer graphics are soooo bad.

I looked up 'New Hope'. It's from those old films that only old people watch. The computer graphics are soooo bad.

But still the greatest Sci Fi ever made-compared to the other 3. God knows what Disney is going to do with them....horrifying thought. And they're making 3 :'(

If that were true, we'd never be able to respond to fascists short of sit-down silent protests.

I do agree that Mike. is a fool though. He doesn't like my jokes about prawn crackers.

It was awful. Still makes me angry.

What is this joke? If not prepared to post, I take it much worse than my attempts?