Gary Neville, Out of the Studio and into the Mestalla!

Having purchased Football Manager a couple weeks ago, I have been playing about with the idea of turning one of my saves into a story having enjoyed reading the others on here. I had originally planned on using my Southampton story but was scared I could not live up to the others already started on here, being very much an "amateur". So I was trying to think of an original save idea when I heard the news of G Nevs shock appointment! Having never managed in Spain before, like Neville himself, and being a Red Devil myself also I decided this was a perfect oppurtunity!

Last edited:
Sounds good mate, try to keep the layout simple and don't over-do it on the words too much, it can take a lot of effort to do a story and if you try to put too much in on your first you may burn out.

Good luck!

O.k with that little bit of background out of the way into the save itself!

View attachment 203796

While Gary has taken the job 4 months into the new season, for the purposes of this save I will be starting from the beginning of the 15/16 season. I have however disabled transfer budgets for the first window.

View attachment 203795

Like Gary I have decided to "keep" on the England U21 job but I may reconsider this in the future, as indeed he may himself.

At the beginning of the game I am unable to offer Philip Neville a new contract as Assistant Manager so he will remain head coach but I will rectify this when possible.

I have no fixed rules for the save but I do have a few aims in mind, partly based on my own thoughts and partly based on my opinions of what Gary's thoughts might be.

Firstly Gary like myself, is no quitter. Therefore I will not be jumping between jobs every season, Gary spent his entire career under the one manager. That is not to say if a job came up at say our favourite Club, I wont apply, I will most likely jump at the chance.

Secondly Gary played in a team that was based on youth and traditional wing play amongst many other elements. These are two elements I myself value highly and will seek to impose them on my new club. I will be keeping in mind however, especially at the beginning, that Gary was a defender and mainly focused his Sky Sports analysis on the defensive side of the game, so making the new team solid at the back will be my first priority. Easier said then done when Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez and Neymar are the forwards you are due to face.

But enough chit-chat, time to have a look at our new squad!

Last edited:
Goalkeepers

View attachment 203782

Diego Alves is our clear number 1, not only our best Keeper but one of the best players in the Squad. just look at those reflexes! Unfortunately he has a long term injury at the start of the game.

In the meantime Matthew Ryan will step in, and while not fully developed the extra game time will hopefully help him to fullfil his undoubted potential.

Yoel will provide adequate backup.

All in All, no real problems in the goalkeeping area.

Last edited:
Full Backs

View attachment 203780

Antonio Barrigan looks a decent right back and in Joao Concelo we have a very capable understudy with the potential to be even better so it shouldn't be long until he is knocking on the first team door.

As you can see in the screenshot above we have a superb LB in Jose Gaya. He has excellent pace, good stamina and really knows how to whip a ball in. His ppms show that he is a predominately attacking full back but has decent defensive stats in marking, tackling and positioning although he is weak in the air. A great player.

There is quite a drop in standard to our backup LB Lucas Orban so I would hope Gaya can avoid any long term injuries. Orban does however have adequate stats to suggest he should provide reasonable cover in games where Gaya may need a rest.

Again no real problems at fullback, in fact a standout player in Jose Gaya.

Central Defence

View attachment 203775

We start with another of the key players in the team, Shkodran Mustafi. This man is a beast. Look at those defensive stats, there is no weakness! Excellent heading, marking, tackling, positioning. He's strong, he's brave, he reads the game well, keeps his concentration, and makes the right decision more often than not. All this and he's only 23! I've also noted his excellent leadership attributes.

He will be partnered by Aymen Abdonneur. Unbelievably his attributes are almost as good as Mustafis! The fact that he is left footed also makes him the perfect partner to Mustafi, Valencia must have one of the best CB pairings in Europe.

In Ruben Vezo and Aderllan Santos we have two players more of capable of stepping in when required. Vezo in particular looks to have great potential.

Extremely happy with the centre of defence, it is quite possibly the strongest area of the squad. Our biggest problem could be holding onto our stars!

Wingers

View attachment 203755

First up is Sofiane Feghouli. Our first choice on the right, he has pace in abundance something Gary Neville has pointed out on many occasions can be the difference in a team. He also has great technique, especially when it comes to dribbling and whipping a ball in. Add in good stamina and work rate and he looks like a very exciting player.

The downside is our options beyond Feghouli look quite weak. Santi Mini a 19 yr old has good potential if played further forward though isn't as comfortable in the MR position. Our back up RB Cancelo could be an option as he is comfortable playing this position.

Our first choice option on the left will be Pablo Piatti. The diminutive Argentine was heralded for big things on Football Managers of years gone by and while he many never have lived up to his 'wonderkid' status he does have great acceleration and decent technical attributes.

Other options on the left include Rodrigo, who could really push Piatti for his place, and Zakaria Bakkalli who could provide me quite the headache. The reason I say this is because while he has the potential to be possibly the best player in the entire squad, his preferred position is Inside Foward which will not fit with my original plan of using Wingers in my tactic. Will be interesting to see how I can incorporate him as he develops.

Rodrigo De Paul was another option but I decided to loan him to Stoke as I didn't see him getting the necessary game time with so many other left sided options.

While I may seek out another option for the right in January or next Summer I am quite content with what I have. As I look to include wingers into our tactics Feghouli in particular will be key to our attacks.

Last edited:
Central Midfield

View attachment 203756

I'll begin with our more defensive options. In Javi Fuego we have the most experienced player in the team and his mental attributes show it. A great tackler he is comfortable in a number of defensive roles.

He will be ably supported by Danilo. He is on loan from Braga but the deal has already been agreed to become permanent, something Im very happy about as at 19 he is the perfect balance of youth to Fuegos experience and looks to have great potential.

Next up is Dani Parejo. He starts as Valencia captain and is rated by my Assistant as the best player at the club on current ability. And if you look above it is easy to see why. Composed on the ball, Great first touch, technique and Vision and an exceptional passer of the ball if Idecide to use a playmaker Parejo will be that man.

Andre Gomes is a young Portuguese player who's technical attributes come very close to those of Parejo. He will however miss the first few weeks of the season as he recovers from a broken leg.

Enzo Perez technical attributes to not quite match the other previous two, however they certainly aren't weak. In fact that is Perezs main advantage, he literally has no weaknesses, with decent or better attributes in all defensive and attacking areas required from a central midfielder. Could be an option as a box to box midfielder if I decide to use one.

Another strong area with many different options, I can feel comfortable using a DM. One worry would be that none of the options look like a standout option to play CAM, though a CAM is not in my tactical plans at the present time. Another concern is that with Gomes only recovering from a serious injury we do perhaps look a man short in the middle at present especially if I decide to use a 3 man central midfield.

Last edited:
Strikers

View attachment 203757

View attachment 203758

Two great options up front!

Firstly, Alvaro Negredo, aka "the Beast". He really is the complete forward. Big, strong, great in the air, the saying 'great feet for a big man' has never rang truer as his first touch, technique, dribbling and passing are all excellent. And most importantly in a forward he knows how to put the ball in the back of the net! Frozen out under the last manager bringing Alvaro back into the first team fold is my number 1 on my list of things to do.

Secondly, Paco Alcacer. His all round attributes do not quite match Negredos just yet but he is only 21 and has much to offer. Slightly quicker than Negredo he he has a terrific work rate, is intelligent off the ball and again most importantly knows how to find the back of the onion bag! This lad has everything he needs in his locker to become a Valencia legend!

So far, so good, in fact brilliant, but now we come to the weakest area of the squad because as backup to Negredo and Alcacer we have...Nobody.

Well that's not strictly true as Rodrigo, Mina and even Bakkali are capable of covering up front. All would be a massive drop in quality to the excellent Negredo and Alcacer though so another option up front will be top priority when I'm given my first chance in the the transfer market. Until then I can only pray my first choice two stay injury free!

Last edited:
So that's my squad, and I am pleasantly surprised with the quality! Would be interested to hear any of your opinions. Really looking forward to getting stuck into my first save in Spain now as I undertake the same challenges as Gary Neville will face in real life. I will hopefully post my first real update later this evening.

As a side could anyone tell me why a couple of my screenshots are showing as "attachments" rather than the actual pictures? Or is it only showing like this on my ancient, crappy computer?

maccakid;[SIZE=2 said:
2918426]could anyone tell me why a couple of my screenshots are showing as "attachments" rather than the actual pictures? [/SIZE]

They look fine from here :)

Pre-Season

View attachment 203658

I think its fair to say pre-season didn't go well. We had some very tough fixtures but I would still have expected better and to lose 1-0 to a team much weaker than ourselves in Alcoyano was unacceptable, pre-season or not. Still I have seen teams perform poorly in pre-season before and then get of to a flyer just as I have seen teams perform brilliantly pre-season and get of to a stinker, so I remain hopeful.

The tough fixtures were intentional as I felt they were the best way to try out the Counter Attack tactic we had been working on. It started out as as the classic counter 4-1-4-1 with wide midfielders and with many defend and support duties and only one attack. I felt this wasn't getting the best out of our wide players, and as I mentioned I wanted wingers to be part of our play, so my wide players were handed the traditional winger roles. This worked a treat against BMG but against Alcoyano we seemed blunt in attack again. which would have been more acceptable if we were keeping endless clean sheets but we weren't. So I decided a further change was needed and switched the formation to a more traditional 4-4-2.

View attachment 203654

Alcacer really shone in the last game in this formation and as we also kept a clean sheet it is likely this is what we will begin the new season using. I have kept things very simple at the minute, no specific team or player instructions, but this could change in the future. I may also fine tune some of the roles to suit my best players, such as incorporating a playmaker role for Parejo but for now I want to keep things simple and don't want to slow down what will hopefully be swift counter attacking football.

View attachment 203653

The other big news from pre-season is that I have completely revamped our background staff and we now have some of the best coaches, scouts and physios in the league.