Gary Speed, 42, has tragically passed away

Subtle

Reaction score
[Edit: thread already started here: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/rest/87679-gary-speed-dies-age-42-a-2.html#post1370950 Sorry if this is in the wrong section]

The Wales manager Gary Speed has died at the age of 42, the Football Association of Wales has announced.
An FAW statement said: "The Football Association of Wales are sad to announce the death of the national team manager Gary Speed. We extend our sympathies and condolences to the family. We ask that everyone respects the family's privacy at this very sad time."

A spokeswoman for Cheshire police said: "At 7.08am today, Cheshire police was informed of a sudden death at an address in Huntington, Chester. Officers went to the scene where a 42-year-old man was found dead. The next of kin have been informed and have confirmed the identity of the man as Gary Speed.

"There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death. The family have requested that they are left in peace to grieve at this difficult time. A family tribute will be released at a later date but not today."
Michael Owen, who lives nearby to Speed's family in north Wales, tweeted. "Just cannot believe the news regarding Gary Speed. We waved at each other a couple of days ago dropping our kids off at school. I'm numb. He has died aged 42. So sad. He lived local to me and we knew his family. He leaves behind 2 sons. Tragic."

Speed won 85 caps for Wales, more than anyone except the goalkeeper Neville Southall, and played for Leeds, Everton, Newcastle, Bolton and Sheffield United. He was appointed as Wales manager in December 2010. He had recently presided over a run of four wins in five internationals to climb to 50th in the Fifa world rankings.

As a player he won the championship with Leeds in 1992 and was twice an FA Cup runner-up with Newcastle. He made nearly 700 league appearances in a 22-year professional career and held the record for most Premier League appearances, with 535, until 2009 when he was surpassed by David James. He retired from playing in 2010 before embarking on his first managerial role with Sheffield United.

Speed was awarded the MBE in the 2010 Birthday Honours, for his services to football, leaves a wife and two children.

Wales manager Gary Speed has died, FA of Wales announces | Football | guardian.co.uk

Last edited:
Rather shocked about this. Specially since it appears to be suicide.
RIP

Speed was doing brilliantly with Wales and even appeared on Football Focus yesterday! I do not see a reason why he would want to commit suicide, but of course I don't understand him. It's a tragedy, especially if he took his own life!

I cannot imagine how hard it must be for his family and friends; people who knew him. He was a good player, I distinctly remembering managing him on FM when he was at Sheffield and I can remember his stint at Bolton. Recently, he's taken Wales to new heights and looked a promising young manager.

I'm surprised there's only been one reply to this thread, he deserves a whole lot more. My thoughts go to his friends and family. R.I.P. Gary Speed!

Speed was doing brilliantly with Wales and even appeared on Football Focus yesterday! I do not see a reason why he would want to commit suicide, but of course I don't understand him. It's a tragedy, especially if he took his own life!

I cannot imagine how hard it must be for his family and friends; people who knew him. He was a good player, I distinctly remembering managing him on FM when he was at Sheffield and I can remember his stint at Bolton. Recently, he's taken Wales to new heights and looked a promising young manager.

I'm surprised there's only been one reply to this thread, he deserves a whole lot more. My thoughts go to his friends and family. R.I.P. Gary Speed!

dont bother replying as the mods keep deleting (some) posts.

There is one more thread on this in "The Rest" sub forum.