Maleficus

Reaction score
So I've just been taking an in-depth look at my finances and realised gate receipts don't add up as they should.

I have 37,600 season ticket holders, and an average ticket price of €45.

In November I played 3 home games:

v Eintracht Frankfurt (Bundesliga) attendance: 70,569
v Borussia Dortmund (Bundesliga) attendance: 71,000
v Borussia Monchengladbach (DFB Pokal) attendance: 71,000

Total attendance for February = 212,569 - 75,200 (season tickets for 2 league games) = 137,369 tickets sold at an average of €45 per ticket SHOULD equal gate receipts of €6,181,605. However my finances screen tells me that in February we only took €4,160,886 leaving me over €2m down for the month.

Furthermore, over the course of the season so far I have sold 919,419 tickets (excluding season tickets). at an average of €45 per ticket this should equate to €41,373,855. Yet according to finances screen total gate receipts for the season currently stand at a mere €34,385,567.

Now, assuming season tickets include entry to cup and supercup matches (they don't AFAIK, but I could've missed it I suppose) then I've sold 806,619 tickets which should have earned me €36,297,855 which is a lot closer to the €34m figure but still not it. So I'm either €2m or €7m out of pocket over the season so far.

Has anyone else noticed a similar issue, or have an explanation for it? I'm losing a significant chunk of revenue here, and I don't understand why :(

Season tickets are cheaper and the money is received before season starts, for eg if your ticket price is £45 if you didn't buy a season ticket it would cost you £900(45x20) season tickets usually give you a discount over the season for eg a season ticket can be picked up for £700-£800 (£35-£40 a game )

In your matches where you got 71,000 attendance 37,600 had technically already paid, so you should be working out 33,400 x £45

Last edited:
Season tickets are cheaper and the money is received before season starts, for eg if your ticket price is £45 if you didn't buy a season ticket it would cost you £900(45x20) season tickets usually give you a discount over the season for eg a season ticket can be picked up for £700-£800 (£35-£40 a game )

In your matches where you got 71,000 attendance 37,600 had technically already paid, so you should be working out 33,400 x £45

Yes, I'm well aware of that. If you read my post you'll see that I've very clearly already taken season tickets into account.

You also have to take into account away fans.. Might not make a huge difference (I don't know how many away fans clubs have in the German league) but it would still add up over a season. Some season tickets do include a few cup matches (of the early rounds, usually) Also, gate receipts in cup games are split 50/50, this not might be the case in Germany, but it's worth considering.

There is also the possibility you might not actually be selling tickets for €45 per game.. Against smaller clubs the tickets might be sold for less, although I do not know of any way to check this. Cup matches for example, are generally sold for a lower fee than league matches.. And in the league, fans are less willing to pay the top price to watch Frankfurt as they are Dortmund. Not the mention that the AVERAGE ticket price is €45, I would imagine there will be more tickets on sale for less than that figure then there are more, working it out as every ticket as €45 is just a complete blanket figure, and without actually knowing how many tickets sold for what and when, you will not get an accurate answer.

I'm 99% sure there are genuine reasons for why you haven't reached your predicted target (I haven't actually double checked your math.. Effort), the problem is, SI need to have a much better breakdown of finances in the game.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm well aware of that. If you read my post you'll see that I've very clearly already taken season tickets into account.

mate what about outcome like ground cleanups, staffs wages as in shop staffs, stewards, police, i don't know if SI put this into affect, or it could be sponsor relation on each month.

It would also be worth checking whether you pay any rent on your stadium.

mate what about outcome like ground cleanups, staffs wages as in shop staffs, stewards, police, i don't know if SI put this into affect, or it could be sponsor relation on each month.

Pretty sure that comes back out as an expenditure.

You also have to take into account away fans.. Might not make a huge difference (I don't know how many away fans clubs have in the German league) but it would still add up over a season. Some season tickets do include a few cup matches (of the early rounds, usually) Also, gate receipts in cup games are split 50/50, this not might be the case in Germany, but it's worth considering.

There is also the possibility you might not actually be selling tickets for €45 per game.. Against smaller clubs the tickets might be sold for less, although I do not know of any way to check this. Cup matches for example, are generally sold for a lower fee than league matches.. And in the league, fans are less willing to pay the top price to watch Frankfurt as they are Dortmund. Not the mention that the AVERAGE ticket price is €45, I would imagine there will be more tickets on sale for less than that figure then there are more, working it out as every ticket as €45 is just a complete blanket figure, and without actually knowing how many tickets sold for what and when, you will not get an accurate answer.

I'm 99% sure there are genuine reasons for why you haven't reached your predicted target (I haven't actually double checked your math.. Effort), the problem is, SI need to have a much better breakdown of finances in the game.

you could be right mate with cups games, in real life cup games are cheaper for tickets no matter what team you are, i think you hit the nail on the head mate.

Best thing to do is just compare the league games against the different reputation teams, see if the amount you make changes based on who you play. Should give you a good basis on how club rep changes the ticket prices then do the same for cup games.

This is one area where SI could really improve, the finance screens have always been fairly straight forward and just a blanket cost for each area in general.

I don't understand what exactly it is you expect me to take into account with away fans (they still have to pay for their tickets, right?), while I have accounted both for season tickets including and excluding cup games (if they're included then I'm still €2m down).

As far as the ticket price goes, tbh I've just been working on the assumption that SI only put in a blanket average ticket price (surely putting in all the different prices there are IRL would be a lot of work and wouldn't really add anything to the game as we can't see it), and in fact a quick look in the data editor would seem to back that up, as there is only one ticket price field in there.

I have to admit I didn't know cup gates were split at all. I always thought the likes of Tiny Village United and Insignificant Town FC looked forward to home cup games against Premiership sides as being huge money-spinners. But I guess that could account for some of the lost revenue, but then again, keep reading ;)

I fully agree though, that SI should include more detailed finances (I've wanted to see exactly how many extra shirts my new star signing is selling me for years), but no doubt it'd be a lot of time and effort that they'd rather focus on the football side of the game, and understandably so.

OK, so I said to keep reading and here's why. I booted up a new game, advanced time a few months, then stuck a manager to check gate receipts at a random big club. Well, I say big club, it was actually Liverpool :p

So 10 home games up to this point, 6 in the league, 4 in the EL, so no cup games to worry about splitting or whether or not season tickets cover them.

Europa League gates add up to 139,791 tickets sold.
League gates are 245,588 - (6 x 30,000 season tickets) = 65,588
Total tickets sold therefore = 205,379 x £44 (ticket price) = £9,036,676

However, the actual gate receipts only add up to £6,338,978

That's £2.7m (or 29.85%) down and that's only up to November :S Surely that's way too big a difference to be accounted for purely by fluctuating ticket prices, even if they are modeled in the game (which I'm doubtful of anyway)...

Last edited:
In Germany part of the stadium will be terraced standing. Maybe separate pricing your not being shown on the information screen.

I don't understand what exactly it is you expect me to take into account with away fans (they still have to pay for their tickets, right?), while I have accounted both for season tickets including and excluding cup games (if they're included then I'm still €2m down).

As far as the ticket price goes, tbh I've just been working on the assumption that SI only put in a blanket average ticket price (surely putting in all the different prices there are IRL would be a lot of work and wouldn't really add anything to the game as we can't see it), and in fact a quick look in the data editor would seem to back that up, as there is only one ticket price field in there.

I have to admit I didn't know cup gates were split at all. I always thought the likes of Tiny Village United and Insignificant Town FC looked forward to home cup games against Premiership sides as being huge money-spinners. But I guess that could account for some of the lost revenue, but then again, keep reading ;)

I fully agree though, that SI should include more detailed finances (I've wanted to see exactly how many extra shirts my new star signing is selling me for years), but no doubt it'd be a lot of time and effort that they'd rather focus on the football side of the game, and understandably so.

OK, so I said to keep reading and here's why. I booted up a new game, advanced time a few months, then stuck a manager to check gate receipts at a random big club. Well, I say big club, it was actually Liverpool :p

So 10 home games up to this point, 6 in the league, 4 in the EL, so no cup games to worry about splitting or whether or not season tickets cover them.

Europa League gates add up to 139,791 tickets sold.
League gates are 245,588 - (6 x 30,000 season tickets) = 65,588
Total tickets sold therefore = 205,379 x £44 (ticket price) = £9,036,676

However, the actual gate receipts only add up to £6,338,978

That's £2.7m (or 29.85%) down and that's only up to November :S Surely that's way too big a difference to be accounted for purely by fluctuating ticket prices, even if they are modeled in the game (which I'm doubtful of anyway)...

What has been said about fluctuating prices is correct. Take for example Blackburn Rovers (use them as they are the team I support so know more about them)

BRFC have 3 category for tickets and 4 different prices in each category, (seen here 2012-13 Matchday Prices ) In the Blackburn End the average ticket price is £25.66.

Out of the 23 home games in a season in the Blackburn End, only 2 are charged at the higher rate of £32, 8 at the mid range of £25 and 13 games at the lower rate of £20.

We have around 8,000 season ticket holders too.

Now for the maths.

Burnley at home was a category A+ game and had a gate of 20,735. Take away the 8,000 leaves around 12,735 walk on and away fans each paying around £32

so 12,775 x £32 = £411,993

Derby at home was a category A game and had a gate of 17,764. so about 9,764 walk on and away fans. each paying around £25 each.

9,764 x £25 = £244,100

Lastly Hull City at home was a category B game and had a gate of 15,981. 7,961 walk on and away fans, each paying around £20 each

7,691 x £20 = £159,220

So actual revenue for those games was £815,313, Going off the average price the amount should of been £762,500. so I am up there by around £52K

However if there was 3 category B games in that month (I'll use Hull as the example)

7,691 x 3 = 23,073 fans.

23,073 x £20 = £461,460

Average ticket price

23,073 x £25.25 = £582,593.25

So there I am down by around £102,000

BASIC explanation - the reason the figures are down, from what I can see, are from the different pricing structures for each game. Every club has them and will always leave and average prices either up or down (mostly down) and unless your playing at a club that charges the exact same price for every game then your best off avoiding them