PaperClipFMer

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to my Football Manager 2015 story, my name is Paul Gascoigne. I'm sure some of you have heard of me.

View attachment 243096

I was born in Gateshead on the 27th May 1967.

I signed for Newcastle United (the team I supported growing up) when I was 13 and went on to captain the side in the FA youth Cup final where we lifted the trophy after beating Watford in the final (I scored 2 goals that day).

View attachment 243092

After 4 seasons at Newcastle, after I made just over 100 appearances and scoring 20 goals for the club I loved I then joined Tottenham Hotspur for £2.2million. The previous season I had won the young player of the year award and was included in the team of the season. I was also the subject of an offer from Manchester United, Sir Alex Ferguson made me promise him I would join the club when he returned from holiday in a few days. This is a promise I had to break as I couldn't turn down the offer Tottenham had made.

View attachment 243090

My first season at Tottenham went well with the club finishing 6th and me scoring 7 in 37. It was the second season however where I really made my name, the club finished 3rd and after another good season I was included in the England squad for the 1990 world cup.

View attachment 243089

England had been drawn in a group with the Republic of Ireland, Holland and Egypt. We started the tournament with a 1-0 win over Ireland, Gary Linaker with the only goal of the game. After drawing 0-0 with Holland in the second game, all our hopes relied on us beating Egypt, and we did. A 1-0 win with Mark Wright scoring from my assist ensured we went on to win the group. and draw Belgium in the next knockout round.
After 90 minutes the scored remained goalless, that is until David Platt popped up with 1 minute remaining after I chipped forward a freekick in his direction for us to win us the tie.

Then it was the Quarter Finals against surprise package, Cameroon. Platt scored again for us to take the lead before Cameroon pegged us back and ended up going 2-1 in front after they converted the penalty I had given away. Gary Linaker then converted a penalty of his won. Linaker then struck again in injury time to see us into the semi finals.
We all know what happened here, Germany took the lead before Linaker struck again to draw level. Then with minutes left, Linaker put the across the box for me to tap in, as you all know, I just couldn't reach. There were millimetres in it. That would have seen us into the final, instead we went to penalties. The less we talk about that the better, Pearce and Waddle both missed meaning Germany progressed to the final where they went on to beat Argentina. It was that game where I became England's favourite player, I had picked up a previous booking in the Belgium game meaning one more would mean a one match ban. In the second half against Germany, I caught Thomas Berthold late who went down in agony, I knew what was coming ... a yellow card which means i would miss the World Cup Final, if we progressed of course. I just couldn't contain myself, the tears started to flow. I was then banned for the third place play off game which we lost against Italy.

View attachment 243087

I then had 3 more season at Tottenham where I picked up the FA Cup in 1991. Just before the final, I agreed to join Lazio for £8.5million. However, during the final, just after scoring the goal of my career to put us 1-0 up, I managed to rupture my cruciate ligament in the right knee after committing a foul on Gary Charles.

Because of this injury I missed the whole of the 1991-1992 season before eventually signing for Lazio in 1992 in a new transfer worth £5.5million.

View attachment 243085

I had three seasons with Lazio without really fitting in. The club president never took to me and didn't like my jovial mentality.

After 3 years, I had had enough of Italy and moved to Rangers for a club record fee of £4.3million in 1995. Again, I had 3 seasons at Rangers where we won the league and cup double in the first season whilst also winning the players of the season award. We retained both titles in the following season. The final season was a real disappointment as I only scored 3 goals in 28 games as we failed to win any silverware.

View attachment 243083

My next moved was back south of the border with Middlesbrough after Bryan Robson convinced me to join him there. We won promotion to the Premier League in the first season and contined this good form in the Premier League as we ended the year in 4th place and finished the season in 9th.

View attachment 243082

After Middlesbrough, Everton gave me another chance in the Premier League where I stayed for another 2 season before finishing my career at Burnley before moving to China to finish my playing days.

I have had some managerial experience, although nothing worth taking with me. in 2005 I was appointed manager of Conference side Kettering. However, I only lasted there 39 days as I quickly fell out with the owner after he accused me of drinking too much whilst on the job.

I look to put this behind me along with my previous alcohol and drug problems and look forward to a long career in football management, lets see where this can take me.

Now with all that out of the way, I thought I'd remind you of my more amusing moments of my career:

The top 10 Gazza stories that have done the rounds over the years…

“One hour after playing for England, met 'showbiz pals' Danny Baker and Chris Evans in a Hampstead pub while still wearing his full kit... boots included.”

“On a trip to London, jumped out of his car to demand "a go" on a workman's pneumatic drill. After getting the go-ahead, happily pounded the pavement to the amusement of shoppers.”

“Organisers of Italia 90 TV coverage had the splendid idea of augmenting team line-up with film of each player mouthing his own name. Gascoigne's genius led him to subvert the process by, instead, mouthing 'F***ing W***ker'. The BBC had to use it all the way through the tournament.”

“Booked a series of sun-bed sessions for then-Newcastle team-mate Tony Cunningham. Who, of course, is black.”

“Astounded commuters in London by jumping on a double-decker in London's Piccadilly Circus and asking if he could have a drive. The bus driver let him, and the passengers thoroughly enjoyed Gazza's impromptu performance.”

“As 'perk' of boot-cleaning duties during his apprenticeship, took Kevin Keegan's Golas home to show his mates. But left them on the Metro.”

“Walked into the Middlesbrough canteen and ordered lunch wearing nothing but his training socks.”

“Paid £20 for a Mars Bar in a newsagents in his home town of Dunston, then told the shop owner to spend the change on sweets for local kiddies.”

“On his first night in Rome after signing for Lazio, gave his minder the slip, put his shoes by an open window and hid in a cupboard. The minder thought he'd committed suicide.”

“While staying in a New Zealand hotel, was told there was no bacon for breakfast. Replied, 'What, all the sheep in this country and there's no ****** bacon!'”

View attachment 243080

Watched 'Gascoigne' the other day. Hero, gutted he fell into the world of drugs and drink like he did. True legend and character. Following.