General Tips for Football Manager Handheld 2012 iOS

PZW

Reaction score
I am struggling quite a bit, at the moment, and I need some tips to playing FMH 2012 on the iPod Touch. Hopefully, someone can give me some general tips, so I can improve overall, because I am still fairly new to the game. I need to know little tricks like how to sell players easily, how to search for great new players, and how to save money when buying new players.

Please bear in mind that I am playing as Plymouth Argyle in League Two - they are not the best of teams, so please don't think I'm Barcelona or anything! I need a simple tactic, which works well, too! If you can shed any light on any aspect of the game, please do so. I am by no means new to Football Manager, just a newbie to Football Manager Handheld! Thanks!

Last edited:
I would suggest playing a 4-1-3-2 (that being 4 defenders, 1 CDM, 3 CM and 2 ST) because it seems to do wonders for my Man City team.
My team Instructions are:
team mentality: Balanced
passing style: direct
tackling: normal
pressing: yes
and the rest no

I would suggest playing a 4-1-3-2 (that being 4 defenders, 1 CDM, 3 CM and 2 ST) because it seems to do wonders for my Man City team.
and the rest no
Thanks for the help, I will try that! I'm surprised there's not been more replies, to be honest, I know it's the Football Manager Handheld section, but I thought this section would be more popular than this! I do have a tactic of my own which is working quite well, as well!

​- PZW

After seeing success with the 4-1-3-2 midway through my Arsenal save I decided to start over as I really didn't have enough CMs to keep the formation going.

I decided to try out the 4-1-2-1-2 as Arsenal already has several CAMs and it has been working really well for me. I'm in February of my first season and I topped my Champions League group which contained AC Milan and Ajax and I'm currently in third place in the league.

If I was to give you 3 tips they would be:
Base your players on attributes and not values.
Play 5 attacking players and 5 defensive.
Have a formation for your team and not a team for your formation.

I would also recommend you check out Featured on FMHVibe but I would say that as it is my site :).

If I was to give you 3 tips they would be:
Base your players on attributes and not values.
Play 5 attacking players and 5 defensive.
Have a formation for your team and not a team for your formation.

I would also recommend you check out Featured on FMHVibe but I would say that as it is my site :).
What do you mean by attributes, not values? What is the difference? I know what attributes are, but what are values? Also, in my save (as Plymouth Argyle), some of my players with poor attributes have been doing well, I'm not trying to prove you wrong, but please could you clarify on this.

I will take the rest of your suggestions into account, thanks for the help! Also, I am a member on FMHVibe, I'm a big fan of your site, my username is the same on there! I have read a few articles on there, although most of them seemed to be for PSP!

- PZW

Values are like £10m where as attribute is shooting: 20. Generally in lower leagues attribute demands are less due to the poorer quality of player so where a 15 for shooting is required of a striker in the PL in League 2 it may only be 8.

A lot of the PSP and iOS games are the same just iOS has different ways of setting up tactics and some more features. If you still need more help you may want to ask there as there's more activity for FMH.

and the rest no

what player roles do you use ?

@redsareace I used your tactics, I went from not being able to last 2 months without being sacked, but with your tactics (and a couple of adjustments of my own) I'm just past Christmas and won all my games except 2 draws. If anyone hasn't tried it yet I recommend it.Cheers dude

i have used 4-1-3-2 on both 2011 and 2012 handheld, i also try 4-3-1-2 with a cam instead of a cdm, it is great for goals in the games you struggle to get more than a draw,

@redsareace I used your tactics, I went from not being able to last 2 months without being sacked, but with your tactics (and a couple of adjustments of my own) I'm just past Christmas and won all my games except 2 draws. If anyone hasn't tried it yet I recommend it.Cheers dude
Hi, thanks and I'm really glad you like this tactic. Just doing my bit to help! :)

Best tactic is a 4-2-1-3

GK
Wing Back - Ball Playing Defender - Ball Playing Defender - Wing Back
Box-to-box Midfielder - Depp Lying Playmaker
Advanced Playmaker
Advanced Forward - Target Man - Advanced Forward​

Team Instructions:
Attacking
Mixed
Normal
Yes
Yes
No
No

I like 4-2-3-1 as in 2 central backs, 2 full backs, 2 central mids, 1 central attacking mid, 2 wingers and one striker with a big presence. Have a few examples. Anyone wants any?