DJongIl

Reaction score
Just a question regarding, as the title says, Generating Money. I am currently Grimsby Town and after back to back promotions, I'm in League 1. I have new owners that said they would wipe the debt when they take over but all they have really done has took another loan out. Anyways, as I have no budget to buy players I'm relying on frees which I am happy abut as there are good players out there. But trying to sell them on for a tidy profit is quite hard. Also as the youth facilities are pretty ****, there is no change to become a decent selling team by using the talent from the youth ranks. I always make big money friendslies to try and bring a little bit more in.

The last couple of years the transfer budget is £0 and the wage is £30,000 with about £23,000 being spent.

Money Spinning friendlies, Keep Winning, sell players on at max value, Attacking and winning football draws in fans, try and get a parent club like Man Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. They will owe you a fee each year. Sell deadweight.

I have done the friendlies, but only get about £30k for ones against the big "four". As for keep winning, I've got back to back promotions in 2 seasons, I wouldnt know how to do any better. Deadweight no one wants to buy, even at half the price.

trim the wage bill soo it fits your gates and season ticket sales e.g. Season ticket sales £500k ticket sales £500k - £500k + £500k = 1 million / 52 = £19,230 per week wage bill << you have to limit yourself also go by the "last season" sales figures.

Cup runs are also great, bare in mind that you get money from gates as well as prize money.

Sell/release any deadweight you can't make use of, if they're not first team or cover then you don't need them. In lower leagues I try to get my team as small as possible because it's really easy to just run yourself into trouble by signing more and more players. Like awalker said, try to balance out your wage bill with what you're bringing in, this is helped a lot by just cutting everyone you don't need and relying on a small first team squad and youth players.

Big club friendlies at the start of the season are nice, try to avoid having too many because it can afford moral if you're getting destroyed in them. Cup runs are a huge bonus if you can focus enough on cup games without losing out in the league.

Finally do as much scouting as YOU personally can, try to cut down on needless staff like scouts when you're working your way up. They're usually poor and 99% of what they suggest will be useless to you.
Keep note of regen dates and try and keep a bit of wage cap open to snap up whatever decent players you can whilst you can still approach them. They may not all make first team but give them a year or two and sell them off for a solid profit or use them for cheaper better cover for your starting eleven.