George Best Dies

Jonny

Reaction score
The football world is in mourning after the death of ex-Manchester United and Northern Ireland star George Best.
Best, 59, died in a west London hospital after multiple organ failure followed eight weeks of ill health.

Drugs needed after his liver transplant in 2002 had made the former alcoholic more susceptible to infection.

"He was a fantastic player. Everybody at United regarded George as being one of the greatest of all time," said Old Trafford boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

The Manchester United manager added: "It's very sad because he was a wonderful person, who was very likeable."

Sir Bobby Charlton, who played alongside Best at his peak but was never close as a friend, said: "He was on a par, at least, with anyone you can name.

"We at Manchester United have learned from our experience with Eric Cantona, we had to treat him differently, make allowances. If, instead of being hostile to George, which I was, we had leaned a bit his way and tried to help him, who knows?"

Denis Law, who spent Thursday evening at Best's bedside, said: "From 1964 to 1969 he was the best player in the country."

"It's sad as **** but I don't think we saw the best of him. He went on the blink at a time when he could have got even better."

Former Northern Ireland team and room-mate Pat Jennings, who made his international debut in 1964 alongside Best, said: "He was not only a fantastic player, to me he was also a fantastic bloke.

"The George Best I met then is the same George Best I knew later."

Republic of Ireland and Leeds midfielder Johnny Giles described Best as "the most naturally gifted player I have ever seen.

"He had the lot: balance, pace, two good feet, he was brave, strong and a good header of the ball.

"Pele wasn't as gifted as George Best and I would definitely put George above Johan Cruyff because he had more heart," said Giles.

From BBC Sport

:eek:

Not a suprise really.. but a big loss in the footballing world.

R.i.p George Best

Bit wide I know but, he sorta deserved to die. Getting a new kidney then starting drinking again and didnt he hit his ex wife, someone worthy could have had that kidney.

Gregor that is out of order he was an alcoholic. That means it's an addiction and really hard to quit. Its a disease and saying he deserves to die is really sick to say.

what about the innocent child that died becuase thye didnt get that liver

I agree, Best was a **** and should never have got that liver.

What innocent child? If it is a retorrical metaphor then who said anyone died because they didnt get a liver

clackerbag said:
What innocent child? If it is a retorrical metaphor then who said anyone died because they didnt get a liver

ooooo Fancy, Rhetorical and Metaphor

lol just got through an English prelim I need to snap out of it.

He didnt 'deserve to die', but what happened to him was brought on by himself

We should be remembering him and be talking about him as a footballer though-a real legend, the most talented player ever

Yes and Im sure that he enjoyed his shortened life more than we would enjoy several lives. Great player and that goal against england and Gordon Banks should have counted lol

clackerbag said:
Yes and Im sure that he enjoyed his shortened life more than we would enjoy several lives.

I'm sorry but I dont agree with that, I wouldn't enjoy a life of alcohol abuse. He had the flash cars, sexy models and money that I dont have but that doesn't mean he enjoyed his life more than I enjoy mine. I love every minute i'm breathing and i'm greatful for everything I have, I enjoy my life more than i'd enjoy his and the fate it gave him.

Great player and that goal against england and Gordon Banks should have counted lol

A great player he was and i'd be a **** to disagree with the second part :)

He look for it and he found it. Real unfortunate, a real story of what could have been.

RIP George Best.

He was way before my time but from what I have seen on TV he really did look like one of the all-time greats and possibly the greatest player to come from Great Britain.

Even an amateur match played at the Nunthorpe Cricket Club held a minutes silence, I think that really shows how well respected he was throughout British football.

livin_dragon said:
He look for it and he found it. Real unfortunate, a real story of what could have been.

what the **** do you mean what Could have been. He was a football genius what else did you want him to do? Fly to the moon whilst doing keepy-ups?

I think he means because he retired early and then ended up making his comeback for 'smaller' teams when he was in his late thirties.

R.I.P George Best

His memory will always live on as the best footballer ever. He was a legend!