IceBreaker14

Reaction score
In July 2010, I retired from professional football three months after my club of seventeen years Manchester United released me. I had been courted by several Championship sides but football just didn't seem interesting outside of the Theatre of Dreams. In August I had booked a flight to Barcelona to become the assistant manager at Barcelona B. I had gained my Continental C license in the December of 2008 and was an English football legend who many admired so getting along with the players wasn't much of a problem. I could speak some conversational Spanish but language is only a small barrier in professional football.

In 2011, Luis Enrique left Barcelona B and the new manager Eusebio Sacristán fired me even after a third place finish in the Segunda División. I was devastated but swallowed my sorrows and moved back to the UK. I worked briefly for TalkSport but soon left due to a new job opportunity - assistant manager to old friend David Beckham's team LA Galaxy. I was there for two years and loved it, yet felt I couldn't ever advance past head coach Bruce Arena's formidable record as manager there. I wanted to try the ultimate test - management.

I applied for jobs at West Brom, Cardiff and Fulham between January and March 2014 but all were taken by more capable, experienced managers (including my old teammate Ole Gunnar Solksjær). In March I finished my Continental Pro license qualifications and I decided I would wait until the summer to look for jobs abroad. After two months of peace and quiet I got a phone call in late May. It was my old boss Luis Enrique, who told me that Eusebio Sacristán had left by mutual consent after Luis' employment. The job was mine if I wanted it.

I did some research. Of the nineteen Barcelona B managers five went on to manage Barcelona with two winning the Champions League. It seemed like a great career starter. Barcelona B managers have gone on to manage Villarreal, Celta, Betis, Real Oviedo, Atlético Madrid, Rayo Vallecano, Espanyol, Málaga, Sevilla, Tottenham Hotspur, Real Madrid, CSKA Moscow, Catalonia, Bayern Munich and Roma as well as Barcelona, so it looks like a promising and exciting job to have. Naturally, I accepted the offer.

View attachment 237452

Last edited:
George Connes
March 3rd 1980-
Att. Mid

Youth Career:
1993-98 Manchester United

Senior Career:
1998-2010 Manchester United
Apps: 298
Goals: 68

Int Stats:
2000-08 England
Caps: 34
Goals: 5

Management Career
2010-11 Barcelona B (assistant)
2011-13 Los Angeles Galaxy (assistant)
2014- Barcelona B

1998-99: 8/2
1999-2000: 10/2
2000-01: 42/10
2001-02: 37/15
2002-03: 34/6
2003-04: 20/2
2004-05: 33/9
2005-06: 17/2
2006-07: 30/13
2007-08: 26/2
2008-09: 23/2
2009-10: 18/3

Honours:

Manchester United (player):
Premier League: 2000-01, 2002-03, 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09
FA Cup: 1998-99, 2003-04
League Cup: 2005-06, 2008-09, 2009-10
FA Charity/Community Shield: 2003, 2007, 2008
UEFA Champions League: 2007-08
FIFA Club World Cup: 2008

LA Galaxy (assistant):
MLS Cup: 2011, 2012
MLS Supporter’s Shield: 2011
MLS Western Conference: 2011, 2012 (Playoffs), 2011 (Regular Season)

View attachment 237401

Last edited:
The Staff

My director of football is a new face to football, a forty-eight year old named Víctor Castillo. He is also Barcelona's director of football and I look forward to working with him. My one coach (ex-Barca and Spain midfielder Gabri) is nowhere near enough so I decided to sign two more coaches - one being a motivational ex-goalkeeper named Juan José Valencia and the other being a good friend and ex-teammate of mine, Ruud van Nistelrooy. Having been in the papers as a potential Netherlands assistant manager, I was surprised when he agreed to make the step down to join the rivals of one of his favourite teams as a coach. I offered him assistant status but he didn't want it, saying he preferred "less commitment". Maybe that's why he turned down the Netherlands job.

Fitness coach Antonio Gómez can speak English and is quite talented - he will serve his purpose well. My assistant Quique Álvarez is a familiar face having been at the club for six years. I am acquainted with him as he was a coach during my tenure as assistant here. For this reason I made the board let him take a Continental Pro license course - if I leave, I would like him to replace me as manager.

Chief Scout Pere Gratacós was here when I was an assistant and is a former Barcelona B manager. I hope to learn from his valuable experience. Carles Busquets (my goalkeeping coach) is the father of Sergio Busquets and an ex-player. He has been part of the club setup since 2003, taking a short break in 2010 to be a goalkeeping coach for the first team.

My Head Physio Jaume Langa is a decent physio but not too special, so I am lucky he agreed to be demoted to normal physio. I am now looking at Juan Manuel Santisteban to be a Head Physio.

Last edited:
View attachment 237366
WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY?

I THOUGHT LUIS ENRIQUE AND I WERE COOL BUT NO, NO, HE HAS TO LOAN OUT ONE OF OUR BEST PLAYERS TO A TEAM THAT IS PREDICTED TO FINISH ONLY TWO PLACES BELOW US! GIRONA ARE A REAL THREAT FOR THE TOP TEN NOW THANKS TO LUIS!

I didn't say any of this of course. I just made it awkward and didn't talk to him for a while. Juvenile but satisfactory. At least I have Jean-Marie Dongou - unless Luis decides to loan him out as well. Hate being powerless over tiny things that might just cost us a top-half finish.

Last edited:
Pre-Season

One thing that really sucks about managing Barcelona B is that sometimes you have standout players that work well in certain formations you might wish to use and then this happens:
View attachment 237144

Luckily, every club that made a loan offer (all twenty-four of them, including Aston Villa, West Ham, Parma, Sporting, Hoffenheim and OGC Nice) were rejected by the big boss Luis.

Our pre-season was okay apart from a disappointing loss to Alcoyano from the Second Division B. However, our player Lluís Sastre was man of the match and we had twenty-three shots with 53% possession so the game isn't as bad as I thought. The team has a real excitement and they are raring to go. New coach Ruud van Nistelrooy is a good mentor for both me and the players, especially Jean-Marie Dongou who I am hoping will have his breakout year and that I will be able to hold on to him for a while before Luis promotes him.

View attachment 237150

View attachment 237149
I think we can get top 8 as long as key players stay fit. Unfortunately, Jean-Marie injured his groin in training so an eighteen year old recruit from the U19s must take his place. He isn't incredible but could be decent in the future. Unfortunately, he was the best prospect but he should only need to play a few games.View attachment 237147
Finally, I decided that an affiliate club would be a great place to send U19 players who I just don't need at the moment and won't get game time. For example, a 22 year old academy graduate called Sergi Juste (attributes below) who was the captain before I changed it to Douglas.
View attachment 237146
Anyway, I announced an affiliate link to Badalona, a very close club that will take players too good for the U19s but too bad for the B side.

That's it for our preseason, hopefully we have a great season ahead of us!

Last edited:
Osasuna 0-0 Barcelona B
View attachment 237142
It looked like a relatively one-sided game by the stats but in reality, sitting in the dugout and watching it was dreadfully boring. Still, I am happy with my squad considering our underdog status (Osasuna are predicted to finish in 3rd) and I am happy with Douglas who had the impact I expected him to have. I hope we can hold on to him and keep him away from Luis!

Barcelona B 1-1 C.E. Sabadell
View attachment 237140

Disgraceful. The game never really got interesting - we had possession but we couldn't do anything with it, whereas our opposition played a great counter attack that our team just couldn't deal with. We are lucky that natural right winger Asdrúbal stepped up to replace Jean-Marie for the second game in a row today. We miss our #9 very much. He missed the first game against Osasuna due to injuries and now he misses Sabadell due to an under-20 Cameroon game. Shame about that. Hopefully once he's back he can make a big difference in our next game against Real Zaragoza.

Last edited:
Barcelona B 1-0 Zaragoza
View attachment 237120
I'm happy with this one. JM Dongou is a big difference in my side.

Alavés 1-1 Barcelona B
View attachment 237119
Shame we let one in last minute. I'm just happy JM continues to score.

Barcelona B 1-3 Llagostera
View attachment 237118

Not much to say really. Awful performance.

We are in eleventh currently. Expected better so we have to pick up next five games.

Mallorca 1-2 Barcelona B
View attachment 237078

Barcelona B 2-0 Lugo
View attachment 237079

Stats:
View attachment 237077

You can see the impact Jean-Marie has on not only our team but on other teams. Six of our eight goals have come from him and he has missed two of those games. Absolutely unbelievable form from him. I am told that ESPNFC.com rates him the best player in the league, with an average rating of 7.8/10 in our games. What a player.

So I saw this...
View attachment 236455

And then this happened:
View attachment 236451

I would love to manage Manchester United, the team I spent seventeen years with. I am refusing to declare interest in the job, as if it doesn't work out I don't want to screw up my relationship with the team and the board. Still, it is an interesting development.

Barcelona B 4-1 Alcorcón
View attachment 236443
Alen Halilovic starts showing his potential and class with a fourteen minute hattrick. Jean-Marie Dongou has now scored eight goals in seven games.

Tenerife 1-2 Barcelona B

View attachment 236439

NOOOOOOOOO

View attachment 236438
Absolutely heartbroken. I visited Jean-Marie and told him he was a great player and that I hoped he would get better soon.

At least we have this now to cheer us up:
View attachment 236437
We're still in second, one point off Real Valladolid but they have a game in hand.
View attachment 236435

Last edited:
Oops, I appear to have missed a game whilst writing up my match reports for the club.

Racing 1-2 Barcelona B
View attachment 236434
Decent game. We dominated in possession but couldn't get shots on target. It ended 2-1, which is part luck because despite domination we didn't play particularly well.

Last edited: