• Patient

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Short Tempered

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MikeyCross89

Reaction score
So, I find myself staring at the wall in my flat, the TV is on, I’m not paying it much attention… Some non-gripping International football match between two countries who couldn’t care less for over exerting themselves in a friendly.

Here I am, recently redundant from a job I thought I was doing well and was safe with for the rest of my working life, only to find my company bought out and my role no longer needed.

They payoff wasn’t bad at all, it’s given me enough to see out the rest of the year in the place I currently occupy… but im fed up of it. It’s been a month since I got paid off and I have no desire to go back into an office job. No longer do I want to be dictated to, ordered around and messed about.

I think momentarily before it hits me, this is my chance to do what I want, I can define a whole new career path for myself!

I find myself inspired. I’m a relatively young man from Kenya! I can do whatever I want
I run through a few ideas of what I can do independently;

-Start up my own business – but what would it be and what would I sell/provide? Maybe I can look into mobile app development or IT, I’ve always liked computers…
- Become a self-employed contractor and charge people a fortune for my expertise… but what am I an expert in?

There’s a loud cheer from the TV, finally a goal has been scored. THAT’S IT!
I’m going to become a Football Manager!

I need to have a long hard think about my qualities and what I want to get out of this new career path…

(I’m hoping these polls below will work, this is where you, as the reader, can define this managers personality and make this Journey Man game a lot more entertaining for all… the top results (providing they aren’t conflicting) will be taken forward into the story and career of Gerald Patterson)

Ive got myself mentally set to take this leap so much so I’ve asked my friend Graham to be my agent. Hes very excited at the prospect.
Ive set him on with finding me a job, any job.. I need to get myself out there, anywhere will do.
Whilst hes doing that, Ive gathered my key belonging together;
- Passport (expires June 2018)
- Money! (In card, note and coin form)
- Couple changes of clothes
- My Suit

No Sooner had I set Graham on his task is he calling me up.
I shake my head as he cant have found me a job alread - “Yeah?”
“Listen, what skills do you have? What experience have you got?” Graham starts…
…………. I don’t know how to answer
“I used to play for the local team…. That’s it really” I embarrassingly confess….
Graham sighs… “Right…. Leave me with it…”
He proceeds to post my profile on a job board and I worry for my chances…
View attachment 125084

So whilst Graham is set to it, I start to think about what I want to achieve… No longer am I following the career path an organisation sets out for me!
(Let this poll be available a little too long – sorry!)
View attachment 125075
I want to do this to win things! I want to be remembered for what I have done in the game! That’s my main goal… maybe if I pick up some money on the way, that wouldn't be so bad…
My last employee evaluation with my manager always haunted me a little bit… claiming I do things first then assess the results/damage after and that maybe I should take more care before jumping in with both feet… I wasn’t pleased with the, what I felt to be, unwarranted criticism so I told him exactly what I thought of his management skills. Unfortunately my ‘Fiery attitude’ was one of the reasons citied in why I was being put forward for redundancy….

Last edited:
Now, credit where credit is due, less than half aday and my phone is buzzing around on my coffee table like mad!
Lots of confirmations of job applications received…. And I mean a lot.

Graham must be spam sending these out to everyevery club he knows…

What the… 2 clubs want to have discussions with me…

Kidderminster Harriers and Bromley..
Both clubs in the Vanarama National in England… I’ve phoned them both up and the interviews were very similar…

‘With no experience why should we hire you’ – you invited me for the interview why are you wasting both our times with that attitude? However I kept my composure and told them what they wanted to hear,

Yes I will stick to the budgets

No I don’t want you to change anything about the club or its facilities should I get the job…

Fake laugh, polite good bye and hang up the phone.

Now we wait and see if im as good a bullsh*tter as I though…

Well. I'm a little concerned at how desperate this club are but nevertheless, I am now a FOOTBALL MANAGER!
View attachment 125065
They sent Graham a copy of the contract, I doubt he read any of it, lord knows I didn’t, I just signed on the dotted line!
Get me on the first plane to Bromley… it has an Airport right?...
View attachment 125064

Many apologies to all my loyal readers... if there is any... unexpectedly, I have had FM '17 bought for me!

so this wont get a look in from now.... keep your eyes out as I promise you a FM '17 story.