Ocho Cinco99

Reaction score
At the end of each season, I search through all of the players who have either been released or their contract has run out. I then sign those who are worth a few million and those with at least 4 star potential so that I can sell them on in the future for a profit. My most recent example of this is 'Leandro' I got him on a free and then sold him to Juventus for £5 million the next year. Does anyone else do this? Or do any of you have other ways of making money?

Most of the time I try to sign free players for my team. When there is a good buyer and I can replace the player I will sell him. This is a good way of making profit. Another way is winning prices (Champions League) and promoting yourself in Asia and North America.

i done it a couple of times in a number of saves but i dont look through all those that has been released. I randomly come across them for example in my 3rd season got ross turnbull on a free at the start of the summer along with Ter Stenghen since his team got relegated :D hes demanding first team action so i told him he can leave in January :p tidy 3 million profit minus wages which was heavily based on apperances ;)

I also like to sign promising youngsters who don't fit my squad personality but have them in my u18 team or send them on loan and then sell them for a tidy profit when the time is right :)

I always like making money but then i don't really spend it? Who should I splash out on, got £110 million?

I also tend to do that, but i don't wait until they're released, but rather when their contract is almost running out (except for youth players that is, in order to avoid paying compensation). Each season during the month of December to scout the players who'll be released on a free at the end of that season. I only get players that have at least 2 stars of potential, and don't sell all of them for profit, as there are usually a lot of players among them that are good enough for the 1st team squad.
Especially when playing as a team with limited finances it's very useful. The best players probably won't join, but there are always goo alternatives and players for the future to be found this way.

Last edited:
My problem is that I get too many players on a free at the end of the season. I tend to sign every good player for free and then I want to sell them, but I always need to wait six month until I can sell them. However it's a good strategy for mid table teams or promoted teams. Sometimes you can get great players on a free deal

I've don this a few times.... by accident.

First time I signed Tevez on a free with Wolves, he was 30 at this point, he scored something insane like 30 goals in 38 games then Chelsea bought him from me for £20m.. Not bad though, he had a minimum release fee of £0

Same thing with Adebayor on my Pompey game, he was also 30. Although, he was only with me a few months. Signed him in July, he scored 14 in 18 and was sold in January to Liverpool for £7m.. He also had a minimum release fee of £0

I signed a player called Stefanovic, or something like that; with Norwich on a free. [He's a free agent at the start of the game].. Next season I sold him to some random German club for £5m. He wasn't even that good!

Last edited:
Get your self a scout with 20 Judging potential and 20 judging ability, then send him on a scout mission around Brazil, Argentina, France or Holland.
He will always find a decent player worth less than £1m at the age of 16-17...

For example I bought a regen for £375k and after just 5 months the likes of Man Utd, Man City, Lyon and Bayer Munich are after him for £1.5m-2m. A nice tidy profit but as he's just turned 17 (16 when bought), I'm sure he will go on to be worth a lot more!

Always do this when managing lower leagues, got to be at least 3 star potential though or its a big waste of time/money

Yeah this works best on lower leagues. Especially if they dominate the league you can get more value out of them. I tend to do this, but I try not to sell them off really. Mostly only look for up-and-comers in January who are 21 or younger. Most of the time they are to basically be rotation guys or guys in the wings when I sell off some of my older guys. The problem is that I usually use smaller clubs in lower leagues so when they do hit their prime their value is around 15-40 million then to when I sell them off to higher clubs.

Yeah I always do this. I always find after a few years that really good German regens are let go from their teams even though they have 4 star potential. Must be due to the national team not being in the game or something. Look for them, tidy profit mate.

I have always wondered why I could not manage the German team? I didn't know they were not in it. Cheers for the advice on the German youngsters

I think its just licencing. Just the way pro evo does not have the rights to use player names because Fifa owns the rights.

I have always wondered why I could not manage the German team? I didn't know they were not in it. Cheers for the advice on the German youngsters

Not sure if you can still do it, but as far as i can remember you can delete a file called Inc, cant remember where it was placed though, long time since i did it

if you guys want to use the german national team, it's easy to do.

you need to go to C:/program files/steam/steamapps/common/football manager 2012/data/db/1200/inc/all

there are 3 files called fake.lnc, lic_dan_swe_fra.lnc, and nleague.lnc

delete them all. fake.lnc is for german national, nleague.lnc is for japan national, lic_dan_swe_fra.lnc is for comp licences in denmark sweden and france.