winfield

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find any details previously so here is some things I have learned from my save to help you guys get a new stadium for those that start very low leagues. I can't really help the guys starting in high leagues I don't enjoy managing at the top so I rarely do it.

1. Don't bother upgrading your facilities. In any of my saves I have not been able to produce any young talent worth keeping or worth anything on transfer. If you do manage to produce a wonderkid well you either sell him or loan him out. Expanding seating is 50/50 you have to do the math, upgrade cost - no. of seats x ticket price. If you have a young squad and want to try and improve them hire a good assistant manager and coaches. I have had John Morling and Ian Arnold from my time in the BSS to now. I use the training schedules that are around for download as well.

2. Make bucketloads of cash. http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f79/llm-big-money-without-cheating-t24323.html. Most of the BSS/BSN/BSP teams have a stadium of around 5000 capacity (most are valued around $2million). A 15000 seat stadium costs around $20million. If premiership teams won't play you in preseason cups, try Championship, SPL squads they're still good enough to get you $150-$200K per cup. I've not had any reject me. All your friendlies should be away at low levels they pay you instead of vice versa.
Make your reserves and u18's earn their keep - schedule AWAY fixtures against higher division reserve squads and u18's once in L1 and L2. They have the potential to earn you around a million a year . Having around 10-15million should be enough to get a new stadium. Also having this amount of cash makes sure you're not completely stuffed in your first year in the premiership. You'll get around $50million for TV right alone so you're not in the red and can buy good quality players.

3. Improve your club rep. Going on FA cup runs is great way to earn $ but unless you win it or reach the finals I don't think it improves your clubs rep. I found in the seasons I won lesser trophies like the FA Trophy and JPT I went from being obscure to local and from local to regional if I remember correctly. I also found my sponsorhip income increased dramatically. As an added bonus you'll get better loan signings and should be able to sign players on a free easier.

4. Why is 3 important? Well you need to sell out your stadium for 5 years straight at least. Every time your club reputation goes up, you see massive jumps in season ticket holders. By my final year in the old stadium I had 3901 season ticket holders (averaging 4448 attendance) in a 4500 seat stadium.

5. Transfers-just because you have a transfer budget doen't mean you spend it. Your scouts should be looking for expiring in a year and expired contracts contniously unless you are absolutely desperate. There's usable talent there for free you just have to find it. Even then the old and unhappy should be your targets as they'll be cheap .I still can't bear to spend more than $500k on a transfer now I'm in the premiership. Also target plaers who can play a variety of positions. Also retrain your players into other postions. Depending on stats most midfielders can be trained to be AM's or DM's some strikers can be made into AM's, Fullbacks should be trained for right and left. Great way to save $ and makes them easier to sell
see here for bargains when starting out
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f73/lower-league-signings-thread-t29028.html
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f79/...nings-for-lower-league-shortlists-t36428.html

6. Even if your board says that the council won't allow stadium expansion don't demand an ultimatum. Sell out enough games and make enough $ and you'll eventually get it. Hang in there. I've had numerous RAGE inducing moments you name it - shocking passing, shocking finishing eg missing a completely open goal with the keeper nowhere in sight.

7. A note about players and keeping them together - I note that even now the majority of my squad is 2 1/2-3 star in the EPL but were doing ok and sitting mid table at the moment. Make sure the players you buy will fit in. IMO success has a lot to do with team chemistry. Chucking a whole heap of talent together and hoping it works is a disaster waiting to happen. I think that's what causes a lot of new signings to flop in this game. Have a plan. Most of the time a champion team will be succesful (and cheaper) than a team of champions. You'll know you're on the right track when the players list each other and yourself as "preferred personnel". I can't really explain it well but I don't have a particularly good squad but the team keeps winning (see attached pics). Most of the starting midfield and the backups have been together since L2 and the strikers have been together since L1

Also remember this is only a very rough guide all the low league teams are different and have different situations. I'm trying to replicate this succes with other teams so hoopefully I can fix it for accuracy

(Note: I was running my own 4-2-4 in the BSN/BSP until I found complete dominance. I've got a couple of low league save going this one is from Thurrock of the BSS, If anyone has a team preferrablfrom BSN/BSS or lower they'd like me to give a run let me know. I'll try to start a more interesting story as well as trying to update this for accuracy)

EDIT: I'll try to do a real time story to illustrate financing. If you want to see follow my Worksop story (superbladesman patch 10.2) here
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f81/winning-with-worksop-t36340.html

Last edited:
I've tried most of those on separate saves but never together,

Thanks for the info mate :D

Cheers. I've never got a new stadium in any saves. In one I had the money and sold out matches every week but kept getting blocked by the council so resigned after a while when really I should have stuck with it :'(

I once got a new stadium at Chelsea, Zola Arena with 140.000 Capacity

LOL, of course you'd get that the clubs reputation and finances has a lot to do with it. It'd be a bit much to ask a poor small team to go from a 4500 seat stadium to a 140000 seater. Baby steps are required for world domination.

Has anyone ever got a new stadium with Man Utd? I've got OT expanded to 100,000 but never above that due to the council the b**stards :mad:

After winning the Championship with my Rushden & Diamonds, then only the board decided to make a new stadium. Previously was only expanding the current stadium. Screenie below:

newstadium.jpg

Here's another hint to my earlier point about scheduling midweek friendlies especially if you have a small squad. You should be doing a backroom advicee meeting regularly-once a wekk in game time. Here he will recommend players to scout. Instead of scouting them - offer them a 4 week trial and use them as cannon fodder for your friendlies. You don't pay them and you get a closer look at their abilities and their report card is available

I had a stadium built after 2 years in the Prem with Dag and Red in about 2018 I think it was. Had been averaging about 9000 attendance before the stadium which is dire for the Premier League. Cost **** loads and gave me no budget to spend, but was good for the future of the club.

is there any quick way of making fixtures for my reserves nd U18's? cba with going through and selecting each one :( lol

ive never had a new stadium for a club on football manager, can you name the new stadium?

The board will name it. Usually it will be named after you or a favoured personnel/player if you manage to get a team into the Premiership. eg Jones stadium or as one of my mates decided to name himself in the game because he decided he was goint be an ******* in press conferences and towards other managers ******* stadium (he called himself Mr *******). I should get him to edit the pitch to brown instead of green LOL

Thanks for this, I am managing AFC Fylde in the Northern Premier D1N and although I changed the DB to give me great youth facilities I am finding making a profit a bit difficult. Just got my Reserve team to do 6 friendlies in Spain netting 3k a match :)

The best way in low leagues IMO is to make your money in the pre-season. Scheduling away friendlies (one every 3 days, play every player for 45mins only so you don't burn them out) against smaller teams can usually net anything from 25k to 150K per fixture(the South east Asian teams tend to pay the most AFAIK). I also find this helps the team gel a little bit quicker as they're spending game time on the pitch. I also use this time to retrain players - you can retrain them through training but I find they get used to new positions quicker as they actually play them in game. Depending on how versatile your players are they can go from inneffectual to competent quite quickly. I think this is really important as you will be able to have injury cover without having to spend on transfers and wages. And the more versatile they are the easier they are to sell.

is there any quick way of making fixtures for my reserves nd U18's? cba with going through and selecting each one :( lol

No not really. In any case your reserves and U18's aren't going to gain you much $$$ from fixtures. I really should clarify that you should schedule midweek friendlies against premiership reserve squads using your senior team, however when the fixture comes up use the filters to show reserves, triallists and u18's and use them instead of your senior squad. (Is that confusing? If it is I'll try to put up screenies if further clarification is required). However once you are higher up (L1-L2 and up) what I do is not be part of the reserves league and u18's league and instead send u18's and reserves on 3-4 game tours of other countries once or twice a month. It's annoying and time consuming but I want $$ without FMRTE'ing it.

I haven't previously subscribed to this thread so that's why my responses have been delayed-I've sorted that now and should be able to give more prompt responses in future

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to Expand your stadium because the Council never allow planning permission for my Havant & Waterlooville

I once got a new stadium with Valencia called Benitez Arena...

Does anyone know how to Expand your stadium because the Council never allow planning permission for my Havant & Waterlooville
That means you will have to build a new stadium. So start saving and raking in the $$$

I once got a new stadium with Valencia called Benitez Arena...
Rafa's one of their prefferred personnel isn't he? didn't he win La liga twice and the UEFA cup when he was managing them? That's pretty good grounds for a stadium being named after him

Last edited:

You just have to be patient, do well, and make a lot of green.

It took me around 8 years for a new stadium to be announced in my Real Madrid game - and their finances are healthy to begin with.

Doing the mid-week friendlies thing and man is it boring :p I tried with asian teams since they seem to pay relatively well and aren't as hard to beat as other teams.

Edit: In fact, there should be an option for the Asst. Manager to take over friendly games without changing the current line-up.

Last edited:
Is there anyway possible I can do something with Anfield on the game because everytime I ask the board about it, the excuse is to do with the council not providing planning permission or something or other?!