Fitzy7

Reaction score
Anybody have any good tips for getting your CM's into the box on crosses/making better runs forward?

I currently play with two box-to-box midfielders inbetween a DLP with 'get further forward' set in PI's, yet they still seem to make half a run before stopping and moving back. Very frustrating.

CM/A, surely?

Even then, Team Shape, Mentality and the other roles (whether they have the room to get them forward) will influence their tendencies.

I think CM(A) or B2B(S) are the best what you can get when it comes Forward Runs into the box

If I want one player to go forward, then it works well if he has good cover, so he actually dares and affords to get high.

In your situation I'd try only one BBM and the other something like CM(D). Maybe also try the DLP with defend duty - I dislike playmaker roles so I had very good results with BWM(D) instead in a similar setup. This gives the BBM ample space and security to afford runs to the box. Of course, as always, it depends a lot on your players and playstyle.

It's not just his role, it's yours and opponents tactics. Opponent may be restricting you to long shots, and you may be trying a too fast/too slow approach to their box...attacking tactics will get your CM's right in front of the goal, no matter what role they have, unless the opposition is defending, in which case they will win the ball and you wont get a chance to go near their goal. Which is basically why attacking tactics are awesome at lower tiers of football but usually fail at top leagues.

cm(a), with a striker dropping deep and a winger on his side to stretch the defence. I'm using a similar approach and my CMa is getting in the box loads. Also train PPM gets into area or gets further forward.

flexible fluidity should work best based on the lines and diamonds thread, from my understanding