Getting my side to cross but keep possession in middle.

maxchaplin55

Reaction score
As the title says I am struggling to find a combination of team instructions/player instructions which enables my wide players to cross, but orders my team as a whole to be patient and probe. I know it sounds conflicting, but I hate it when there's a fast attack and a player gets put through out wide at the by-line jus too cut it back (work ball into box) TI. But then I feel without that TI ticked, my team give the ball away too easily. Any pointers would be great.

As the title says I am struggling to find a combination of team instructions/player instructions which enables my wide players to cross, but orders my team as a whole to be patient and probe. I know it sounds conflicting, but I hate it when there's a fast attack and a player gets put through out wide at the by-line jus too cut it back (work ball into box) TI. But then I feel without that TI ticked, my team give the ball away too easily. Any pointers would be great.
All that TI does is reduce long shots and crosses.

I'd use Support duty players who will have crossing on mixed, although I'm not sure if a Winger Support has it on mixed as the point of the role is to cross. They'll decide when to cross and not just pump it into the box at every opportunity.

Another way to get is to tell the attacking players individually to shoot less often. That should work the ball into the box without cutting down on crosses.

All that TI does is reduce long shots and crosses.

I'd use Support duty players who will have crossing on mixed, although I'm not sure if a Winger Support has it on mixed as the point of the role is to cross. They'll decide when to cross and not just pump it into the box at every opportunity.

So that TI has no effect on passing in the final third? Just from watching the games to me it seemed as if they played retained possession in final third until clear opportunity arose.

Thanks though!

At the Team Level, instruct:
- Control
- Flexible
- Short Passing
- High Tempo
- Look For Overlap
- Retain Possession
- Play Out of Defence
- Exploit Both Flanks

Start as you mean to go on and have your goalkeeper distribute the ball to your full backs. While the team is passing short, tell your more creative midfielder(s) to play More Direct Passes - and ideally, they should also have the PPM of Likes to Switch the Ball to Opposite Flank Often. Sometimes, your Assistant Manager's half-time notes will include advice that one of your players is used to playing more direct, so heed that advice and alter his role to get the best out of him.

Set player specific crossing instructions for your full backs and wingers, including where to aim their crosses; think about which of your other players are going to be in position to get on the end of those crosses and whether they should be high, drilled or whipped crosses, etc. Switch off the Work Ball Into Box option in favour of telling those wide men to Cross More Often.

Your general team play will be patient, short passing but your central midfielders will constantly be looking for opportunities to get the ball out wide and/or hit players in space with longer range passes. Switching the ball to the opposition flank enables you to quickly exploit space when it becomes available. They will still pass through the middle, too, when that ball is on, but they will generally be looking to get the ball out wide.

I prefer to have an attacking full back behind a Winger_Support on the left hand side and a supporting right back behind a Winger_Attack on the other flank, to add variation to the angles of attack and to get more players forward when on the front foot without leaving myself totally exposed at the back. I have the left back overlap and Cross From Byline and the right back Cross From Deep. The Left Winger Crosses From Deep and aims for the Far Post; the right winger Crosses From Byline and Aims for Target Man.

You could also try the PI of CROSS LESS OFTEN or PASS MORE OFTEN. Reducing the mentality may also help because the players will be more conservative in their decision making. Remember to only make one adjustment at a time, and see how it works.