Getting passionate about Football Manager again?

laffles

Reaction score
I am an avid FM fan, I've owned all the Football Manager games and a good portion of the Championship Manager series.

This year I have been struggling to really get engrossed in a game, rarely going past the 3rd season (on FM11 I had a 37 season career, I averaged about 20) but this year the game seems to lack something for me, I'm not sure whether it's the new tactics set up or something, but I cannot get into the game. I've tried various teams, challenges, both classic and full modes but still nada.

So I was wondering if you lovely people could try and reignite my passion, be it heartfelt speeches, good teams to play with, personal challenges or whatever.

Please just try. Cause I miss being able to come home from a long day at work and going on my laptop to play my epic career game that I have poured my heart into.

HELP ME

I'm having the same thing just think about being a team then get in to it and I'm like f**k this haha.... So please someone help

I am an avid FM fan, I've owned all the Football Manager games and a good portion of the Championship Manager series.

This year I have been struggling to really get engrossed in a game, rarely going past the 3rd season (on FM11 I had a 37 season career, I averaged about 20) but this year the game seems to lack something for me, I'm not sure whether it's the new tactics set up or something, but I cannot get into the game. I've tried various teams, challenges, both classic and full modes but still nada.

So I was wondering if you lovely people could try and reignite my passion, be it heartfelt speeches, good teams to play with, personal challenges or whatever.

Please just try. Cause I miss being able to come home from a long day at work and going on my laptop to play my epic career game that I have poured my heart into.

HELP ME

Same thing here.
Playing this stuff since the very first edition in 1993, always with my tactics, no problem winning with FC Porto or with lower league teams. This is the first edition that I can't get beyond the 3rd season, no funny at all.

HELP ME
Do you know why you're losing interest?

Edit: Is there a part of the game you don't like or is it the lack of challenge etc? If you have a reason, then it would be easier to give advice or recommendations.

Last edited:
I've left the game alone for a month.

I can't find a reason to play it anymore although I live in hope and still troll the forums.

Can't see an FM15 purchase. :'(

I dont know why tbh. I just cant invest myself into a game like I used to. I get bored, I've tried LLM, International, big budget, small budget, projects but nothing :/

I recommend just staying as your favourite team and going on a long career. I'm the same. My longest save is with Southampton in march 2014...

and I thought I was the only one who cannot get into this year edition. I must sadly say that only FMs that I truly enjoyed were CM03/03, FM 11 and FM 12. Just like you guys I played 3 year career with Frankfurt and then tried variouos teams and I just cant play it. I'm not saying the game is bad, probably is good but is somehow different. I returned to FM12 and still enjoy it.

3rd season is about the max until I get bored, then I don't play it for a few weeks then I get back into it.

i too am having the same issue. Im not sure if its that tactical imbalance or that you cant play mind games anymore or what.
I still think the best fm was 2012 because although the match engine had some big issues that you could exploit you could get your team to play how you want and still get a result. If you watch the fm 12 and fm14 match engine you will soon realize that fm 12 match engine is more realistic.
Please just upgrade the fm 12 match engine for fm 15:)

For me the problem is regens. As soon as the top sides start having regens in their starting 11 then i usually quit. Not sure why, I suppose it takes away my point of reference. I suppose its always more fun to play teams when I recognise the players playing for them. It's more fun to beat Bayern with Gotze, than Bayern with Danny Bojangles the Peruvian wonderkid.

Haha, Danny Bojangles. Class. I don't mind playing with Newgens tbh, unless they have stupid names. In Fm12 I had a guy called Chang-Soo Beraldi. From Argentina. He was black. It ****** my brain up so much. Good player though...

try the Gibraltar league? Having a amateur club that can play in the Champs league might be a challenge?

I've started a career using Brendns database of Barca being put into debt, relegated etc and its kept me enticed... i suppose.

This year it has lacked something though and its irritating because I can't put my finger onto it! Haven't got past a third season yet

Set yourself a goal of winning the the Spanish, English, Italian and French/German if you want. That's what I do. A la Mourinho. I try and take over a club and stay for 2 seasons (occasionally 3). First season aim to win the league, second season the Champions League. I find just having short bursts and clubs keeps me interested. And when I take over a new club, I usually aim for an okay team, mid table or a big club that's been relegated. Getting a limited budget and scouring the world for cheap regens, and then developing them into world class players is the most satisfying thing for me. I'm in 2019 in the middle of a stint with Udinese atm, and I'm having an absolute ball.

Yep i know that feeling guys i am also in the same boat. FM14 not my cup of tea for many reasons. Its not that i struggle, i do win a lot & all that but there is a deep whole i am in were i just lack the motivation, excitement, hunger & enjoyment to play over 3 season with each save i start. Gone back to FM13 & wow, what a relief, this is a football sim, so much fun, better & cannot stop playing. Makes me wonder what SI really did between the two versions that they got so wrong. I wasted half a year giving FM14 every chance & that is sad. FM15? No thanx!! I will skip that one

I am enjoying FM14 - although it took me much longer than normal to understand the tactics function and at one point, I thought the game had just been badly coded.

I am a veteran of football games past: from a hooky version of the ORIGINAL Football Manager on the ZX Spectrum 128K; then Football Director on the same machine; Championship Manager 1997/98 in snatched moments on my older brother's PC; a lesser known game written in basic code for the PC called One-Nil, that I bought from an ad in World Soccer magazine, which my friend described as "simplistic brilliance"; back to ChampMan for 2003/04, which I stuck with for years even though I bought many of the newer versions but dumped them because I thought them inferior to that gold standard, with my Maxim Tsigalko* inspired Werder Bremen and then Hamburger SV teams dominating all before them; then FM11 kept me occupied for two-and-a-half years - as a Saints fan, having Southampton in League One was an irresistible FM Challenge - so much so that I wasn't ready to give that game up until well after the release of FM13, and only then because my laptop was struggling to keep up. So now I run FM14 on a spanking iMac, with the game in windowed view and I've got TalkSPORT playing in the background now. I will put Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle on the BBC iPlayer in a minute.

For me, the key was understanding that tactics function and how my changes were affecting the match. Never one for brevity in my online posts, I have given full chapter-and-verse in my thread, here - and within that thread, you'll find a link to another thread giving a more detailed description of my preferred 4-4-1-1 tactic:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ics/158222-you-need-more-than-one-tactic.html

*If you don't know who Maxim Tsigalko is, then you are no veteran of the football manager sim! A Belarussian teenager who was on the books of Dinamo Minsk, who you could sign straight away for a mere pittance - but NOT if you were an English team because he would never get a work permit. The-greatest-striker-that-very-nearly-but-never-really-was! His twin brother Yury was a decent goalkeeper, too.

I always find the first season or two really annoying. Once you can start bringing in regents and turning them into world class players is when it starts to get fun for me.

I've not got past season 3, but I've put over 300 hours in and love this version.

I have a habit of wanting to start all over again and correct my mistakes