Getting players / team to perform?

Vance77

Reaction score
Having a bit of a strange one at the minute.

I'm about ten seasons in, finished last season in third in the PL and won the Champions League (signed James Wilson in January and he pretty much won me the Champions League).

I'd say I had about four or five world class players and the rest of the team were just decent and did a job.

Then in the summer I signed another couple of class players but just couldn't get a result, getting knocked out in the group stages and near the bottom of the league, with most games finishing 6-4 or 5-3 to the opposition. Wilson has been terrible and all my players just seem to dwell on the ball and give it away too easily.

I have played 4-2-3-1 since season one, with one of the CM's as a ball winning midfielder. One of the changes I made in the summer was to replace my average, ball winning midfielder, with a class midfield playmaker. I'm wondering if this could be a major factor in the decline - seeing as though the role is still set as a ball winning midfielder? Or if it could be something else, such as changing my team too much, players not settling in quickly enough, or even just an issue with the latest patch?

All suggestions / advice welcome!

Thanks

Teams can get used the way you play after a while. If your playmaker isn't winning possession like a ball winning midfielder would then it might be that as well. Depends on your stats I suppose, are you having the lions share of the possession?

I'm guessing the game is punishing me for some mistake somewhere. What that is exactly - I'm not sure.

It's fair enough in that sense, but what is frustrating is that the match engine seems to throw the same story at me each time: I go one goal ahead; by the 80th minute I'm a couple of goals down, and then in the 90th minute I usually pull one back but it's too late.