kevinmccauley

Reaction score
Hey, I've had trouble getting tactics to work in my first few FM16 games, so I figured I'd try stuff out with Real Madrid. If it's not working with them, it's REALLY not working, right? And once I've got it nailed down with them, I figure I can port to less talented teams and figure out how to adjust them as necessary.

The first one is an attacking 4-4-2. You can see all the team instructions. For individual, I have the center backs closing down less and mark tighter, midfielders all closing down more. Fullbacks are run wide with ball, cross more often. OI, haven't set anything but showing attacking players onto their weaker foot.

View attachment 210773

I've had some really successful games where they look unstoppable, but a few things I've noticed. One, the midfielders aren't great at winning the ball back, especially when I roll with Kroos-Modric in the center. This is to be expected -- they're Kroos and Modric, not ball-winners -- but I'm wondering if there's any sensible way to play them together and not have my midfield fail to provide any kind of defensive opposition. Everyone also seems to make pretty poor passing decisions, going direct more often than I'd like even though I have retain possession set. One of the CMs is always set to D and I don't see wide gaps between lines, so it's generally not due to a lack of options, from what I can tell. Also, even with low crosses and cross more often on, the fullbacks will dally on the ball and pass backwards instead of just drilling a square ball or cutback towards the spot. Drives me nuts.

The other one is supposed to be quite a bit more conservative and possession-oriented. The kind of tactic for going away to a team you're a little better than or holding a lead.

View attachment 210772

Problem is, they kind of stink at keeping the ball. Their possession and passing numbers are bad, even with these settings and this personnel. I've found it harder to find some observations as to why it's not working the way I like with this tactic as opposed to the other one. It just doesn't work right and I'm at a loss, so I'm hoping there's some obvious issue here that you can spot.

Thanks for the help.

Hey, I've had trouble getting tactics to work in my first few FM16 games, so I figured I'd try stuff out with Real Madrid. If it's not working with them, it's REALLY not working, right? And once I've got it nailed down with them, I figure I can port to less talented teams and figure out how to adjust them as necessary.

Not necessarily. Different teams have different players, with different PPMs and attributes. It also depends what you mean by less talented. Teams will sit back a lot more against the strong Madrid. They won't do that if you're Crystal Palace. That drastically changes the space you have to work with. Generally speaking though, a good setup for the top teams in a league, should be good for all top teams in a league.

The first one is an attacking 4-4-2. You can see all the team instructions. For individual, I have the center backs closing down less and mark tighter, midfielders all closing down more. Fullbacks are run wide with ball, cross more often. OI, haven't set anything but showing attacking players onto their weaker foot.

View attachment 986087

I've had some really successful games where they look unstoppable, but a few things I've noticed.

Quite interested in this. Against who? Top, middle or bottom teams? It isn't good enough to break down defensive teams and they'll probably counter you all day with that setup. On the other had, the very high D-Line should see you exposed against the top guys.

One, the midfielders aren't great at winning the ball back, especially when I roll with Kroos-Modric in the center. This is to be expected -- they're Kroos and Modric, not ball-winners -- but I'm wondering if there's any sensible way to play them together and not have my midfield fail to provide any kind of defensive opposition. Everyone also seems to make pretty poor passing decisions, going direct more often than I'd like even though I have retain possession set. One of the CMs is always set to D and I don't see wide gaps between lines, so it's generally not due to a lack of options, from what I can tell. Also, even with low crosses and cross more often on, the fullbacks will dally on the ball and pass backwards instead of just drilling a square ball or cutback towards the spot. Drives me nuts.

They don't have the tackling ability, but as long as they keep shape, they have the best chance of forcing a mistake. You can't really to expect them to have an easy time when they're in 2 v 3 situation in midfield, given that you'll be up against the 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-2-1.

Again, your passing issue will probably be because your 2 midfielders are up against 3 and you've asked your time to pass shorter and straight to the feet of teammates. They're probably struggling to find passing options.

The other one is supposed to be quite a bit more conservative and possession-oriented. The kind of tactic for going away to a team you're a little better than or holding a lead.

View attachment 986088

Problem is, they kind of stink at keeping the ball. Their possession and passing numbers are bad, even with these settings and this personnel. I've found it harder to find some observations as to why it's not working the way I like with this tactic as opposed to the other one. It just doesn't work right and I'm at a loss, so I'm hoping there's some obvious issue here that you can spot.

Thanks for the help.
You can't have watched this tactic in action.

They stink at keeping the ball because of 2 things. You're predictable and easy to mark, with everyone taking their time on the ball and no one making any runs into space. Secondly, you've given them a very small passing range and told them to pass only to feet.

So, very short passes to the feet of players who are easy to mark. That's why you can't keep the ball.

Also, why did you settle on a Control mentality? This tactic doesn't look like you want to cross the halfway line.

You could try giving the players that you want to give you the possession "roam from position". I struggled to keep possession as well and then i gave my attackers and 2 CMs "roam from position" and it improved the possession by allot actually. Im not sure if thats 100% the reason because i did a few more changes but thats the most significant change. I guess it makes their position unpredictable so passing options are easier to find.

Last edited: