THEGAFFA1

Reaction score
So it's my first season as Southampton manager and I've signed kaki for a low fee.
In the past I've not really had much success with youngsters, do I play them in just cup games so they develop? Do I place them in the reserve team so they get more game time? Or do I try and send them out on loan? I always feel like I rush them and at 17 years of age I feel that I should try and get them more regular playing time at another club maybe on loan due to them not being good enough for the first time and certainly not experienced enough.

Just want you know your opinion on developing players?

Sending Youngster on loan

This is an area i was always unsure of too but I have read a fair amount on this subject and in my experience sending promising players out on loan is a bit of a gamble for the following reasons;
1) The clubs coaching abilities may have a 0 or minimum effect on their improvement. You can somewhat combat this but checking out their coaching staff.
2) He may be played out of position on trained in an area or position which gives you no future advantage. Maybe check out their tactics and see if there best position/role is likely to be used.
3) There is no guarantee they will get any playing time at all.

Perhaps having them in your U23's is better for their all round development early on, at least then you have control over their development and game time. This combined with a well matched mentor and targeted coaching will have a better all-round effect.

Giving your hopefuls the odd games in cups alongside your first team will in my opinion give them an all round better chance on progressing towards their potential.

Hope this helps

WALNUT DUGAN

So it's my first season as Southampton manager and I've signed kaki for a low fee.
In the past I've not really had much success with youngsters, do I play them in just cup games so they develop? Do I place them in the reserve team so they get more game time? Or do I try and send them out on loan? I always feel like I rush them and at 17 years of age I feel that I should try and get them more regular playing time at another club maybe on loan due to them not being good enough for the first time and certainly not experienced enough.

Just want you know your opinion on developing players?

1) low determination = tutor them - make sure personalities are similar
2) send them to the first team but make them available for u23s
3) when they reach 18 I send them out on loan - first team minimum
4) ensure the club they go to have a good standard of faciliites and coaching
5) watch their form and development - you can comment on this to motivate them.
6) the best way is through first team football - the higher the rep of the competition the better development the player gains.