Getting the Three Lions Roaring Again! - An England NT Story

Legendismessi

Reaction score
I know national team stories may not be as interesting as most club stories are because of the fewer games they have to play but I'll try and make it as interesting as possible.
Getting the Three Lions Roaring Again

Chapter One- Landing the Job

November 2011

England-Andy-Carroll+cropped

Carroll: I can't Work With Capello Anymore!

Liverpool striker Andy Carroll today blasted England manager Fabio Capello for his training methods whenever he was with the national team. In a press conference soon after England's last qualifying match against Montenegro, the former Newcastle United hitman said that Capello rarely communicated with his players and expected "unrealistic tasks" of them both during practice and during a match. He also highlighted that Capello never did anything to bridge the gaps that were often created in the England team due to inter-club rivalry and it was up to the players to sort it out for themselves.

He even went on to cite an incident involving a fight between Frank Lampard and Jack Wilshere during an England training session soon after the derby between Chelsea and Arsenal which had to be sorted out by players from other clubs like Manchester City, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool.

This is not the first time that a player has criticised Capello with Arsenal striker Theo Walcott also criticising the Italian's methods in his autobiography, though he stated that things had since improved.

November 2011

england-image-3-173426469.jpg

England Players Come Out In Support of Carroll

Following Andy Carroll's rant against manager Fabio Capello, many current and former England internationals have come out in defence of the England striker. The first to speak out was Manchester United's Wayne Rooney who came in defence of his partner-in-crime "Yeah, it's a good thing Andy's brought it up. We were waiting for someone to do it. We waited until the qualifier versus Montenegro was over and then decided to come out."

Chelsea's Frank Lampard echoed Rooney's views, saying that "playing under Capello was turning into an impossibility with every passing day". Former international Paul Scholes also said "This problem has been there. It's time someone brought it up and it's a good thing Andy has done."

November 2011

Fabio-Capello-1_1.jpg

FA Launches Enquiry into Capello's Management; Capello soon resigns

The Football Association today launched an investigation into Fabio Capello's managerial methods following a large scale mutiny within the England squad. Led by Liverpool striker Andy Carroll, members of the England squad revolted against Fabio Capello and his training methods saying that England could not succeed at the European Championships next summer if he stayed in charge.

The former Real Madrid boss then immediately tendered his resignation papers to the FA before things "got out of hand". He said that he had enjoyed "his time in England" and it was unfortunate that he was forced to retire much earlier than he would've liked.

December 2011

I followed the developments closely sitting in my manager's office at Queens Park Rangers. The season was going very badly for me. We were sitting twentieth in the Premier League. But instead of blaming my management, people understood what QPR were going through. Most of our main players had injuries which were long term and we were forced to play second string sides for most matches in the season. There was even a match or two were there were three to four Under eighteen players in the team.

When Capello resigned, an inevitability given the rant from Carroll, Rooney and the others, I felt that the time had come for me to take charge of England. So I put in an application as soon as possible. The FA, in it's reply stated that they would wait until they sorted out all the applications it received until the 10th of January.

The media was getting active though. Obviously, Spurs boss Harry Redknapp was the favourite to take over the reins. I spoke to him a few days earlier but he wasn't exactly sure if he would leave Tottenham at this stage. Daniel Levy, Spurs chairman said that Redknapp could leave Spurs only after the season ended. I felt a little relieved, I had a chance. I had spoken to Tony Fernandes and he said that he would let me talk to the FA should they come calling.

Apart from me and Redknapp, Newcastle manager Alan Pardew was also a favourite to take over as the new England boss.

December 2011

The European Championship Group stages were drawn on the 12th of December, 2011. And this is how it turned out:

Group A: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Ukraine, France, Italy

Group B: Greece, Sweden, Poland, Portugal

Group C: Croatia, Montenegro, Spain, England

Group D: Germany, Turkey, Holland, Russia

England got a fairly easy draw. Spain would prove to be a tough opposition but England was in a relatively easy group with Croatia and Montenegro, though the Croats on their day will be hard to beat. The fixtures for the national team was announced soon after.

12.6.2012 - Spain vs. England, NSC Olimpyiskyi
17.6.2012- Croatia vs. England, Metalist
20.6.2012- England vs. Montenegro, Metalist

Meanwhile, the FA announced the fixture list for the 2012 friendlies until the European Championships.

29.2.2012- England vs. Tunisia, Wembley
24.5.2012- England vs. Uruguay, Wembley
28.5.2012- Brazil vs. England, Mineirao
31.5.2012- England vs. Germany, Wembley
4.6.2012- England vs. Northern Ireland, Wembley

10th January, 2012

I was sitting at my desk, studying the scouting reports on Stoke City, who were going to be our next opponents. Suddenly, the telephone rang. I picked it up casually.

"Hello?"
"Hello, is it Mr. Warnock?"
"Yes. And you may be?"
"I am Mr. David Bernstein, the chairman of the FA."

I felt my heart rise to my mouth. The FA didn't usually take the trouble of calling candidates who are rejected.

"We've reviewed all the applications we've received for the post of England manager. We felt that we needed a home grown manager, so we decided to reject Arsene Wenger and a few others. And after Daniel Levy refused to let us talk to Mr. Redknapp, we decided to approach you. Would you accept the post of England manager?"

"Why? I mean...Of course! I would be delighted to accept the job."

"Thank you Mr. Warnock, we're delighted to hire you!" he said, hanging up.

I couldn't believe it now. I picked up my nameplate. Tomorrow, it would be a new one at a new office. It would read:

Neil Warnock
Manager, England National Mens' Senior Team

Last edited:
Chapter Two-Assembling Ourselves For Tunisia

2Q==

Wembley Stadium

My unveiling was a low-key affair. I'd preferred it that way. It was a small affair with just select news reporters and a few select members of the FA attending it apart from myself. Over the next few weeks, I'd spent my time with many of the coaches from the Capello era, who'd chosen to stay on until the friendly with Tunisia. After that, they had told me that they would be leaving the England setup-all the Italians that is. So I'd have to find my own staff from then on.

In terms of my first major press conference, it was the conference at the Wembley on the 23rd of February, 2012, when I had to name my squad for the friendly versus Tunisia. As soon as I entered the main press room at the Wembley Stadium, the cameras started to click away and it took about five minutes for the glares to end. And then once all the TV crewmen had decided that they were ready to roll the cameras, I began.

"So as many of you must have seen, I have been spending quite a few of the last few weekends watching our players play in the Premier League and the FA Cup. I must admit, that I am impressed with what I have seen and selecting my twenty three players for the Tunisia friendly has been a difficult task."

"But it is my job to have narrowed down to twenty three players and I have decided that this being a friendly and that too the last one before I pick the thirty man preliminary squad for the European Championships, I decided to give some players their first chance with the national team." There were a few murmurs. This was definitely worth the backpage headlines.

"But before I go on with team selection, I must now introduce to the world, our new national team captain. He has been a legend at his club. His personality and presence is nothing short of inspirational for both club and country and he is one of the best midfielders I have seen in a generation of players."

The murmurs grew louder. I heard just two names being discussed in a hush-hush manner. Liverpool's Steven Gerrard and Chelsea's Frank Lampard. I broke the silence and said, "Please congratulate Mr. Frank Lampard of Chelsea Football Club for becoming the new England captain!"

There was a round of applause and then I continued, "To assist him as vice captain will be Manchester United's Wayne Rooney."

"Now, moving on to the team selection. I have selected twenty three players who deserve to be in the England team and wearing the England shirt. Without much ado," I pressed a button on my laser pointer and the powerpoint slide changed to announce the team for the friendly. It read

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Celtic), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Alex Smithies (Huddersfield Town)

Defenders:Leighton Baines (Everton), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Scott Dann (Blackburn Rovers), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), John Terry (Chelsea), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders:
Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Jermaine Jenas (Aston Villa), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham Hotspur), Frank Lampard (Chelsea) (C), James Milner (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Rodwell (Everton), Scott Sinclair (Swansea City), Ashley Young (Manchester United)

Forwards: Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Bobby Zamora (Fulham)

London Colney Training Ground

The next day, I was at the training ground, explaining my formation and all the tactics to my coaches when my attention was diverted by a phone call. I picked it up and found that it was from John Terry. He said that Andre Villas-Boas has withdrawn both him and Ashley Cole from the England squad due to important fixtures against Tottenham, CSKA Moscow and Manchester City coming up in the next few weeks. He said that AVB didn't want to risk injuries at this stage, not when Chelsea were first in the Premier League.

I was furious but reluctantly agreed. After all, having been a club manager myself, I knew what it felt like to lose key players to injuries. Immediately, I wasted no time in calling up Gary Cahill and Jolean Lescott to the England team.

That evening, I had more problems to cope up with. Liverpool had drawn with Wolves 1-1 in their Premier League match in the afternoon. But the bad news was that Stewart Downing had to leave the squad due to a toe injury which would keep him out for two weeks. Again, a replacement had to be called up and LOSC Lille Metropole winger Joe Cole who has been in very good form for the French club, was called up to replace Downing in the England squad.

Further injury worries the next day as Aston Villa's Jermaine Jenas pulled out of the squad with a hamstring injury sustained in training with Villa before their trip to Stoke City. Immediately, Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Tom Huddlestone received a phone call asking him to report to London Colney on the 27th, two days before the friendly versus Tunisia.

images

"Right guys, so you know that why you're here right. You guys are the twenty three people selected to play for England. Now that's the key word. ENGLAND. E-N-G-L-A-N-D. So many people dream of wearing that white shirt. But only a few actually do. Why is that? One, because they deserve it. Or else two, because they are established players, talented players who are integral pieces of the England team."

I looked around and saw that the boys were in rapt attention. "Now listen up. I don't know and I don't care how Capello or Mclaren or Eriksson were. This is how I'm going to be. I want performance. You guys have got to be consistent if you want to be in the England team. And by consistency, I don't mean scoring goals. I mean a series of good performances. You can have your bad days in office-every player has that. But I don't want those exceptions becoming rules."

"As for me myself, I will select only the performers. You may have a hundred caps to your name. But if you haven't performed for ten weeks in the Premier League, I'm not taking you into the England team. Someone more deserving will find his place here. I think you may have seen it when I selected Sinclair, Dann, Smithies and Walker for this team. I want you guys to put aside whatever rivalries you may have had playing for different clubs. I want you guys to play for one cause here. And that is England. Just remember that everytime you go out to train or to play."

"Now let's move on to the tactics...."

So saying, I detailed out the tactics, the player roles and duties and other stuff during the morning session. We broke for lunch at about one in the afternoon. Then we came back two hours later and had a good session watching the Tunisian side's last match, their 3-3 penalty loss to Egypt in the African Cup of Nations a few weeks ago.

That evening, we spent our time enjoying ourselves in the Broadway Theater, where a play "The Lion King" was going on. We followed it up with dinner at the Ritz before coming back to the London Colney to grab a night's sleep before some proper physical training the next day.

The next day was uneventful. We practiced our tactic hard, not leaving a stone unturned, in both the morning and the afternoon sessions. In the evening, I called up all the debutants before dinner for a small pep-talk. At about eight in the evening, they were all assembled-Fraser Forster, Scott Dann, Scott Sinclair, Kyle Walker, and Alex Smithies.

"Right guys. Tomorrow is your big day. You're going to be out there witnessing what it is like to play for England. So I may give some of you a chance while the others might have to wait a bit. In any case, I wanted you to feel what it is to play for England and be part of the England team. Don't feel nervous. Just think as if you're playing for your clubs. Play your natural game and you should be fine. Is that okay?"

"Yeah." They echoed.

With that, we left for dinner and then off to bed before the next day-the biggest in my life, dawned.

Chapter Three-The Big Match

london_olympics_wembley.jpg

England
vs. Tunisia

29 February 2012
Wembley Stadium, London, England

BBC Live Text

19.20-
Just under half an hour for kick off here at the Wembley in manager Neil Warnock's first match in charge of the England team. There's palpable excitement here in the stadium. England will be without John Terry and Ashley Cole for this match after they withdrew. They will also be without Stewart Downing and Jermaine Jenas although replacements have been called up.

19.25-
We're receiving news now from both the camps about the line-ups. The visitors first.

Tunisia Playing XI
- H Kasraoui, Y Mikari, K Haggui, A Yahia, S Chaahed, I Jemaa, J Saihi, M Nafti, F Camus, S Allagui, Lassad

Subs
- A Mathlouthi, M Chaabani, A Jemal, C Ben Saada, H Namouchi, A Laccheb, E Hajri, K Zaiem, A Akaichi.

19.30-
Looks like England have their line-up ready. There are a few surprises in there, trust me.

England Playing XI
- J Hart, G Johnson, S Dann, J Lescott, L Baines, S Parker, J Milner, F Lampard, A Lennon, S Sinclair, W Rooney.

Subs-
F Forster, G Cahill, A Johnson, B Zamora, P Jagielka, A Young, A Carroll, K Walker, J Rodwell.

19.45-
The national anthems have been played and we're ready to kick off here at the Wembley with Rooney setting the ball rolling to Sinclair!

19.47-
Lampard tries a shot from long range which just clips the bar while going out after some good passing play from England.

19.49-
A superb, flowing move from England. Lescott heads the goalkick forward to Rooney who squares it to the right for Lennon. Lennon cuts back and passes to Glen Johnson who passes it again to James Milner. Milner lays it back for Scott Parker and the Spurs midfielder probes the defence before passing to Lampard, who forces a brilliant save from Kasraoui all from nineteen yards out.

19.52-
Another piece of good play from England. Milner passes to Lennon who surges forward and forces Kasraoui off his line before passing behind to Rooney. The Manchester United forward tries to lob the ball over the keeper but his effort is just wide.

- Kasraoui with another brilliant save! Scott Sinclair wins a freekick outside the area. Lampard takes it directly but Kasraoui saves it. Lennon tries the follow up but ends up putting the ball well wide of the goal.

19.59-
GOAL- ENGLAND
Scorer: Wayne Rooney

Wayne-Rooney-England-Wale-007.jpg

The Tunisia defence in sixes and sevens as Scott Sinclair surges down the left wing with blistering pace before laying it off for Leighton Baines. The Everton fullback puts in a brilliant cross. Chaahed gets there first but makes a mess of the header back to the keeper. Karim Haggui tries to get there but leaves the ball for the keeper, who isn't even off his line to collect it. Rooney then gets into the gap and fires a low shot past Kasraoui who had no chance with the volley.

20.03-Yellow Card- Mehdi Nafti (TUNISIA)

Nafti is booked for persistent fouling and bringing down Wayne Rooney. Freekick to England.20.08-Scott Dann seems to be injured here after being challenged by Sami Allagui for the header. Concerns in the England dugout but he seems okay enough to play.

20.15-
RED CARD- Karim Haggui (TUNISIA)
Injury-Wayne Rooney (ENGLAND)

Scott Sinclair plays the ball through to Rooney who is now one-on-one with the keeper. But Tunisia skipper Karim Haggui brings him down with a very bad tackle from behind. No choice for the referee but to give a red card to him. Rooney also looks injured and it remains a worry as to whether he can continue.

20.18-
SUBSTITUTION FOR ENGLAND
Out: Wayne Rooney
In: Bobby Zamora

SUBSTITUTION FOR TUNISIA
Out: Fabien Camus
In: Ammar Jemal

Bobby Zamora, the Fulham striker is being brought on by Neil Warnock to replace the injured Wayne Rooney. Early signs from the sidelines suggest that Rooney could be suffering a serious injury. Warnock will hope that the striker returns for action before the European Championships.Tunisia also make a substitution as they take off Camus, an attacker for Jemal, a defender in a bid to shore up the backline.

20.19-
GOAL- ENGLAND
Scorer: Bobby Zamora

Bobby-Zamora-007.jpg

Zamora gets his first goal in an England shirt with the first touch of the match as he heads in another brilliant Leighton Baines cross into the roof of the net. What a match the Everton fullback is having!

20.28-
Lescott with a good header from Lennon's corner! Kasraoui gets a hand to hit and diverts it onto the crossbar! Jemal then gets up to clear.

20.33-
RED CARD- Issam Jemaa (TUNISIA)

Jemaa brings Baines down with a two footed tackle from behind. Unnecessary challenge really and a straight red card for the Auxerre midfielder.

SUBSTITUTION FOR TUNISIA
Out: Lassad
In: Kamel Zaiem

20.33-
HALFTIME.

A solid performance from England so far as Neil Warnock's men head into the break with a 2-0 lead over Tunisia thanks to goals from Wayne Rooney and Bobby Zamora. Warnock will be able to find out the extent of Rooney's injury now during the break. Scott Dann also seems to be tired due to an injury he suffered earlier. It remains a matter of time before he is substituted. The England defence has been solid. Sami Allagui and Lassad have been kept under tight control. The midfield has worked hard but the standout performers tonight have been Leighton Baines and Frank Lampard as they ruled the left wing and the midfield.As for Tunisia, they have some serious problems now with a rampant England side, two goal disadvantage and two men down. Stupid chellenges from Haggui and Jemaa. The rest of the team was no better and Rooney's goal could well have been avoided. Kasraoui has been outstanding today and he will be the key to a second half damage control mode.

SUBSTITUTION FOR ENGLAND
Out: Scott Dann
In: Gary Cahill

SUBSTITUTION FOR TUNISIA
Out: Jamel Saihi
In: Moinn Chaabani

Tunisia kick off the second half with nine men on the field.

20.55-
Yellow Card- Frank Lampard (ENGLAND)
Silly challenge from Lampard on Chahed. Deserved a yellow card.

21.01-
SUBSTITUTION FOR TUNISIA
Out: Yassine Mikari
In: Hamed Namouchi

SUBSTITUTION FOR ENGLAND
Out: Scott Sinclair, Aaron Lennon, Glen Johnson, Scott Parker
In: Ashley Young, Adam Johnson, Kyle Walker, Jack Rodwell

21. 06

SUBSTITUTION FOR TUNISIA
Out: Sofian Chahed
In: Enis Hajri

21.08-
Ashley Young seems to be hurt slightly. However, he will continue to stay on the pitch.

21.15-
Yellow Card-Sami Allagui (TUNISIA)

21.17-
Yellow Card-Leighton Baines (ENGLAND)
Injury- Kamel Zaiem

SUBSTITUTION FOR TUNISIA
Out: Kamel Zaiem
In: Chaouki Ben Saada

21.21-
Yellow Card-Jolean Lescott (ENGLAND)
Lescott takes away the legs of Allagui with a silly challenge. Gets a deserved yellow.

21.31-
Frank Lampard comes close with a diving header of Leighton Baines' cross to the near post. The header goes wide and fails to trouble Kasraoui though.

- Three minutes of added time to be played.

21.39-
The match is brought to a close by referee Claudio Circhetta. A superb display from England as they ran out 2-0 winners. They played a highly attacking game in the first half and then took their legs off the gas in the second half to see out a game they comfortably dominated thanks to their two man advantage. There will be concerns over Wayne Rooney though as initial indications from the sidelines seem to indicate a three to four month long absence. But a good start from Neil Warnock though as England manager with goals from Zamora and Rooney giving England a solid win.

englandtunisia.png

That was a great match! Good performance from the lads! Rooney looks a bit serious-could be out for a long time. But I think he should make it for the Euros-though he may miss the group stage matches. Four months on the sidelines followed by a ten day recovery period is going to be a little bit of a touch and go situation but I do hope he comes back fast enough for the quarterfinals at least.*********​

Last edited: