Getting to Grips With Tactics - 4231

WalkerRFC

Reaction score
Hi,

In order to get used to the game, I have taken over Spurs. I've played Football Manager since 2006 and numerous other manager games before that. Back then, tactics were easy. However, the past 2 versions have been a struggle and I've ended up adapting tactics - a favourite being the Simeone style.

I'm playing with an Advanced Forward, IF(a), AP(s), IF(s) (left-right), with a box to box midfielder and a central midfielder defend behind. I have a support wingback on the left and a wingback attack on the right.

We're playing fluid control, and I've kept the instructions simple, asking only to play a shorter passing, higher pressing game looking for the overlap. What am I doing wrong here? I guess the inside forwards are cutting into space that isn't there, but I've tried making the advanced forward deep-lying or complete and the left winger still won't go in behind much. Lamela, on the right, has been awful but performed slightly better when I told him to sit narrower. Any advice? I don't think wingers would complement the possession style, would they?

Basically, I'm looking for a bit of an explanation as to how the different player roles/team instructions can help enhance other positions + dictate the team's playing style.

Thanks. :wub:

Why look for the over lap when using inside forwards? That only tells them to hold up play and look to play somebody on the overlap , stopping them from cutting in. Wing Backs will naturally look to get forward whenever possible so theres no need to hold up play for them.

I find inside forwards to be rather useless unless you have a striker that is going to create space for them to move into. I think DLP and F9 will work better with two inside forwards. If the striker can dribble well I'll use the F9. If he can't dribble, I'll use the DLP and tell him to dribble less.

I'm also unsure if the BBM would be a good fit for this approach. The BBM will roam around and will get into the box late in the move. That basically leaves one midfielder to cover for the fullbacks, which you said you want to make positive moves to put crosses in. I use the sitter/runner setup in the 4-2-3-1 but my runner is usually a CM-S or maybe a DLP-S.

A lot of it also depends on the players you have. I really think the best move you can do at first is to make your striker a role that drops into the midfield to create space. That should present a lot of opportunities for your inside forwards. Your DLF and playmaker will be on more risky passes and should be able to hit your inside forwards with through balls.