Getting Wingers to be, er, wingers

Cydonia

Reaction score
There' s a complete lack of tactics for formations with two wingers, playing in a winger role rather than Inside Forwards or Defensive Forwards. The CPU has devastating attacks down the flanks, and every cross from the byline is met by the striker, even when there are 4 defenders around them.

And yet, why trying to implement this formation, my wingers never look to bomb on. I don't want my fullbacks overlapping, I want to maintain defensive rigidity keeping 4 back, allowing the wingers to put crosses onto the head of the TM and SS.

I've modified Steatons Invincible 4321, changing the team and player instructions to play wider and put crosses in.

When it works (1 cross every 3 games) it usually ends in a goal, but wingers always look to pass rather than run with ball (even when instructions set), and any counter element is lost when they hold up the ball and look to pass inside.

Any ideas?

SS of Tactic

Last edited:
in my opinion:
1. fluidity: fluid means your wingers could go anywhere, maybe try rigid?
2. more expressive: they'll try to use their technique often, which is useful for cutting inside
3. drill crosses: i'm not really sure, but i think drill is targeted to foot, while float targeted to head

but yeah, that's just my two cents..

Made the tactic more rigid and less expressive, and still met with reluctance to go wide. Always the first move is made to go inside.

Crossing is absolutely lethal in this ME, but you just can't seem to get them to do it.

Your wingers may have the cut in side ppm, also have you tried exploit the flanks? Ive given my wingers the player instruction to stay wide aswell....hope this helps

Last edited:
set your wbs to fb automatic, set your right winger to attack duty and play wider, helps drawing them onto you for the counter and keeps direct passing effective...

The 4-2-3-1 system is intended to enable the three attacking midfielders to interchange position in a narrow attack, with the width coming from the full-backs bombing-on in second wave attacks. Some FMers have found other ways to make the system successful in the game, but the formation is not designed for old-fashioned wingers.

If you want them, I'd suggest switching to 4-4-1-1 and use the tactics that have just earned Tom Ince 3rd place in the voting for World Golden Ball 2021 in my game:

View attachment 384782 View attachment 384781

Winger_Attack
- Get further forward
- Cross from byline
- Aim crosses at target man

See more info in my thread:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...1-real-4-4-2-how-i-learned-play-triangle.html

Last edited:
@Rocheyb

Thanks for that, will give it a go. It doesn't explain how the CPU controlled teams like Spurs can put cross after cross in, and each one is met by the striker, when playing the 4231 formation. The position of the midfielders might change, sometimes a deep V, but the crossing is relentlessly accurate. I know it's not my players, we won 5 trophies last season,and positioning as well as marking are high. But it's near impossible to replicate myself.

Give wingers instruction to: stay wide and shoot less together with rigid philosophy less expressive and exploit the flanks. Teach them hugs the line ppm (is it teachable btw or only thru tutor?)