Getting Wingers to come inside?

Preston85

Reaction score
Just been thinking how to get wingers to come inside like Messi does IRL. Obviously the first thing is to have left footed players on right and right footed on left but after that I can't see how you could instruct them to.

I can't see any Prefered Move that says "Come Inside" so any ideas? Maybe "dribble through center" or "gets into opposition area"? Will they naturally do it because of there favoured foot ?

Just been thinking how to get wingers to come inside like Messi does IRL. Obviously the first thing is to have left footed players on right and right footed on left but after that I can't see how you could instruct them to.

I can't see any Prefered Move that says "Come Inside" so any ideas? Maybe "dribble through center" or "gets into opposition area"? Will they naturally do it because of there favoured foot ?

on fm 08 they used to have perferred moves like 'cuts inside' and etc but fom 09 they got rid of most of the perferred moves which is **** bring them back!

maybe a left sided foot winger playing on the right would help and maybe bribble through center..dunno.

Well looking at Messi he has the Gets Into Opposition Area prefered move. I'm thinking they removed Cuts Inside because they have the same effect, but Gets Into Opposition Area effects things more as they don't just cut inside but will get in there when they don't have the ball.

Does anyone know of any other Wingers who have that prefered move? Is it trainable or one that they have to have naturally? If its trainable whats the pre-requestite as none of my current players can train it?

It's what I do with my madrid game, I put ronaldo left and messi right, then train them to dribble through center and get forward as much as possible, and there you are.

Maybe try setting their crossing to "rarely" so they won't try and get to the byline as much?

Could you also do a "swap position" with a striker which may help (or have a AML/R/FC upfront, and swap with him so nooone is particularly out of position.

Other than that, do a search using Messis attributes, see if they like coming inside.

Or just make your team play really really narrow

Best way is to instruct them to cross rarely , then they have to come inside. If you instruct them to do that then you will have to instruct them to shoot often or play through balls often , or they will just lose it all the keepers feet. Playing narrow is good if u want them to run into more space on the wing ironically.

Ask to Dribble more in the centre of the field or smthng.
Most of the AMR`s do if they have good left foot ability(like messi )

Cross rarely and a high-ish creative freedom plus a free role. If their stronger foot is the one which is closest to goal, then that will also help.

i think you could set the instruction into cross rarely, run with ball often, try through ball rarely. this will cause your winger to dribble the ball into the area.
but on the other hand, this kind of instruction will also make your winger plays selfishly as he will not pass the ball to your forward which can bring negative impact for you in matches, especially when facing stronger teams.