Getting your lone striker to behave like a lone striker...

dave256

Reaction score
Which role do people find is most effective? I've tried every combination now to try and get my lone striker to drop deeper when building up play, support the team and to be pushing the line when we're higher up the pitch, but he always seems to do the complete opposite. I'll use DLF/F9 and my striker will constantly run ahead when we have the ball in our own half and then drop deep when we have the ball at the edge of their box...it's sooooo frustrating!!! I'm really not a fan of these pre-determined roles in this years version.

Has anyone had any joy in acheiving what im trying to accomplish? I've tried pulling him back into the AMC position as a SS but then it seems like there's this invible wall in front of him and he'll just stop running when a through ball is played

Bring back the **** sliders!!!!

The Deep-Lying Forward_Support works best when you have a Shadow Striker_Attack behind him, in the No.10 position. If you hover over those positions in the Player Instructions section during your match preparation, you'll see from the description boxes that pop-up that FM considers them to be complementary roles. This is what I did in my 4-4-1-1 formation that helped me to win the Premier League and the Europa League with Southampton. In this system, the SS will most likely become your main goalscorer but the DLF will weigh-in with plenty, too - if you have good players, of course:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...1-real-4-4-2-how-i-learned-play-triangle.html

If you use a 4-5-1 with nobody in the No.10 position, then the lone striker would ideally be a Complete Forward_Support with both of your wingers set to attack. Then it comes down to the player's individual skills and attributes as to whether he's going to be good at joining in build-up play and then getting into the penalty area when it matters. I would want him to be at least 6ft1in with a Jumping Reach of 15+ and a decent stat for Heading ability, but you also want him to be quick across the ground for balls into the channels.