Gibraltar: Taking a Pub Team To The Top With Bruno’s Magpies

This is an unbelievable save mate! Absolutely smashing it! Can't wait to see how that money and going pro can push the lads even further!

FWIW, I've signed Kirby, Trevitt and Bridge in a couple of LLM saves in England over the past couple of editions.

Loving the save chief KIU

Cheers both! All 3 have been key for me @FM-Oz although Bridge is getting released at the end of the season.

Signing players recently released from Premier League clubs is always the way I go in lower league saves too, it’s even better in this save though cause it only takes 2 years before English players get Gibraltar citizenship (hoping Trevitt commits soon too)

Juan Cruz is one our best youth prospects (Betis) in real life, it's kinda a shame that FM hasn't managed to portray that potential ingame so far, so MASSIVE signing here... Specially if you manage to keep him long enough for him to gain Gibraltarian nationality (as he could become one heck of a core for the national team).

Despite the final results, you definitely overperformed in Europe big time: You managed to get Champions League "group" (or should say "League"?) stage football in a record time for a Gibraltarian team and trampling way stronger opposition along the way, getting some surreally close results and even getting a win against a vastly superior team like RB Leipzig (and I've got the feeling that you could've possibly been able to beat teams like Dynamo Kiev, Feyenoord, Celtic or Lugano).

Keep up the fantastic work ^^

.P.S.: Shame that Newcastle wasn't in this season's Champions League... I really wanted to see a Magpie's mirror match xD

That’s really interesting about Juan Cruz, he looks ok but might be a squad player for me this season. Obviously FM haven’t rated him very well if he’s one of the best prospects at Betis!

It's funny you mention Newcastle as I've secretly hoped we can play them at some point in the save, still a lot of time for it to happen!

One thing I have mentioned very little so far is the youth intakes - and that’s for a good reason. They have been terrible and the latest one was the worse of the lot.

youth intake25.png

We desperately need to improve the intakes to help with league registration rules and the Gibraltar national team going forward - the money from the Champions League should help!

I thought that this season could be the one where we’d win 100% of our league games, but a 0-0 draw against Red Imps means that we have to wait another year at least for that feat.

redimps0-0.png

However, it was the only time we dropped points in the season as we cruised to a second league title in a row.

gib league winners26.png

final table26.png

Despite the utter dominance and the unbeaten season, we ended up losing to Red Imps in the Rock Cup Final which was just typical!

rock cup final 26.png

But I can’t really complain, this season has been all about our Champions League run which saw our team of semi-pros make it to the group stage.

cl fixtures 26.png

It means we have an absolutely insane budget for next year - I almost don’t know what to do with it all and I doubt we can even spend that big on players who are actually willing to join us.

wage budget.png

There was no official notification for it, but we’re now a fully professional club so hopefully that will allow us to attract some better players in the summer.

professional26.png

The squad have done us proud this year, with many National League quality players appearing against Liverpool, Inter Milan and Real Madrid on the biggest stage of them all.

squad view 1 26.png

squad view 2 26.png

The only annoying thing is that as soon as a player wants more game time, no matter what conversation you have, it ends up with them wanting to leave.

celic 1.png

celic 2.png

celic 3.png

It means there will likely be big changes in the summer, most of which were planned anyway.

We’ll be saying goodbye to key players over the years such as Bjorn Hardley, David Gonzalez, Aaron Reartes, Juan Aguero and Mungo Bridge who is now a Gibraltar international after being at the club for so long.

transfers out26.png

bridge jul26.png

Despite the addition of players like Mungo Bridge and Nya Kirby to the squad, the national team have not had a good year and sit 186th in the rankings, which is 6 spots lower than last season.

national team26.png

The Gibraltar Football League is now up to 85th in terms of reputation in Europe, ahead of the National League and Welsh Premier but below leagues such as the second tier in Finland.

league reputation.png

We’re up to 219th in the club rankings, with Gibraltar above nations such as Iceland and Northern Ireland in the coefficients table.

club rankings26.png

coefficient 1 26.png
coefficient 2 26.png

I’m not expecting to make the Champions League group stage again next season at all, but I’ve got a taste for European football now.

I’m hoping we can get to the Europa Conference League group stages next season at a minimum.​

Excellent season @Hampus Silverholt . Hoping for another exciting european adventure next season. The 7m budget is huge, waiting to see what you will do with the money :)

Brilliant save .. Huge Magpies. Good luck for the new season

We’re now in the summer of 2026 and about to start our 5th season in charge of Bruno’s Magpies in Gibraltar.

After getting to the Champions League group stage last season for the first time, we have more money than we know what to do with. It’s mainly been invested on player wages so far, but a big transfer is due soon….

One thing I’ve done is plan for the future of Gibraltarian football and signed lots of youngsters recently released from u18 teams in England (who will go straight into our under-21 team and hopefully gain Gibraltarian citizenship in 2 years) as well as a few hot prospects in Gibraltar.

transfers in26.png

The hottest of all the prospects is Jack Sodi, who was bought for £14k from our main competitor Lincoln Red Imps.

sodi26.png

Next in was centre-back Sam Barnes on loan from Portsmouth, who will join permanently next summer.

barnes26.png

Our first signing for actual money was Luke Matheson for £99k from League One Blackpool, who immediately becomes our highest paid player by a mile on £3.5k a week - with him and Barnes I’m again thinking about 2 years time when I’m hoping they take up Gibraltar citizenship.

matheson26.png

We then broke our transfer record for the second time in quick succession by signing Juan Manuel Gutiérrez for £350,000 from Cardiff - the only downside being he’s on a 1 year deal.

guti jul26.png

guti career26.png

Next in was Oscar Aquino, a Paraguayan international in the lower leagues of Spain, who we managed to pick up on a free transfer from C.D. Coria.

acquin26.png

acquin career26.png

Finally, Connor Barron joins on loan from Stoke and is easily the best midfielder at the club.

barron jun26.png

We did sell first-choice keeper David Celic to Lincoln Red Imps after he requested to leave. I’m actually willing to strengthen their side so they can compete in Europe - but it does mean we are still on the lookout for a goalkeeper.

celic jun26.png

In other news, Will Andiyapan who signed as an 18-year-old and has been at the club for 3 years, now qualifies as homegrown.

andiyap home grouwn.png

It’s big news in terms of having to play 5 Gibraltar trained players at all times in the league and we just need him to commit to the Gibraltar national team now - he must still be holding out for a Wales call up!

andiyap26.png

andiyap career.png

The early starts to the season with European qualifying rounds are now becoming routine for us and in this season's Champions League we’ll play Breioablik of Iceland in the 1st qualifying round.

cl 1st round.png

We’re not favourites to go through, but we’ve heard that one before! Seeing as we beat Besiktas last season, I think we should have enough to progress to the 2nd round.

Brei Favs26.png

Getting to the Champions League group stage last season was admittedly a bit of a fluke. Still, I’m confident of getting either Europa League or Conference League group-stage football again this year.

Let’s see what we can do!​

Our second venture in the Champions League qualifying rounds will do very well to live up to the first, where we went all the way to the group stage last season.

The squad has improved since then too, although there were only 2 debuts in the first leg against Breioabik - record signing Guiterrez and our highest-paid player Luke Matheson.

lineupcl26.png

It was another debutant who made all the difference though as substitute Oscar Aquino scored the only goal of the first leg.

first leg iceland.png

And we got through the second leg with ease, with striker Ruben Enri scoring his 10th Champions League goal for Magpies.

second leg iceland.png

Enri has been a key player for us for over a year now, so he was probably not pleased when we smashed our transfer record on a replacement for him…

enri worried.png

That’s because we’ve spent £1.5m on Jamie Coburn - the first player to be bought for over £1m in Gibraltar!

coburn jul26.png

coburn career26.png

Unfortunately, he couldn’t be registered in time for the 2nd round qualifiers, which were against Romanian champions Cluj.

cluj next round.png

We know from last season that being underdogs doesn’t mean anything and earned a 1-1 draw away from home in the first leg.

cluj first leg.png

It was looking like we’d progress to the 3rd qualifying round and I was already eyeing up the Champions League group stage/league phase for the second season in a row.

But instead, it was heartache in the second leg as we lost 3-0 on penalties.

cluj second leg.png

I have to admit I was a bit shocked at the result. We’ve become so used to beating bigger teams that it’s almost a surprise when we do lose!

The defeat means that we drop down to the Europa League 3rd Qualifying Round, where we will play FK Sarajevo.

sara 3rd round.png

Group-stage football (still refuse to call it ‘League Phase’) is still the aim this season and If we beat them, then we’re guaranteed group-stage football in the Conference League at least.

It’s time to unleash £1.5m man Coburn!​

Despite the hiccup against Cluj in the Champions League, I was excited at our prospects in the Europa League qualifying rounds especially as we now had record signing Josh Coburn registered for the games.

He scored on his debut, but it was not enough as we lost 2-1 in a tricky first leg away in Sarajevo.

sara first leg.png

I thought we had enough to turn things around in the second leg but unfortunately we let ourselves down with a poor performance.

sara second leg.png
sara second stats.png

We took it to extra time and did enough to win the game, but just could not get a goal at the crucial time with Sarajevo knicking one at the end as we pushed for a leveller on aggregate.

So that meant we dropped down competitions once again, this time to the Europa Conference League where we were paired with Hapoel Be'er-Sheva in the 4th qualifying round.

hapoel ecl.png

We have previous with them, having knocked them out of the Champions League last season on our way to the group stage - which seems even more remarkable now we’ve experienced 2 losses in a row

hapoel previous results.png

If we beat them again over 2 legs then we’d make the Europa Conference League ‘League Phase’ - defeat would mean no European group stage football at all, which I was not even contemplating.

But we were out of form and up against it in the first leg away from home.

preview hapoel.png

All 4 goals in the match came in the first half and we led the game twice, but a 2-2 draw was still a decent result.

hapoel first leg.png

However, we were down to the barebones defensively with starting fullbacks Matheson and Anderson both out

injury 1.png

injury 2.png

All that was needed was one win, just one win, to send us to the Conference League group stage.

And finally we produced a solid performance when it mattered.

hapoel second leg.png

Josh Coburn turned on the style in the second half and in the end, we cruised through to the League Phase.

Unlike the Champions League where there are 8 games, it’s just the 6 games in the Conference League and it was an interesting group stage draw. We’re facing some big European teams such as Atalanta, Red Star and Malmo as well as Dinamo Tbilisi who we beat last season in the qualifying rounds.

ecl group stage.png

Elsewhere, we now have 6 Magpies players in the Gibraltar national team, which includes Ryan Trevitt - the most recent player to convert to Gibraltar after spending 2 years in the country.

gib squad.png

That makes 4 of the 6 ‘Top Players’ in Gibraltar all players that have taken up nationality in the past 2 years, the most recent being full-back Aaron Lewis at Red Imps.

top players gib26.png

Trevitt even got an assist on his debut as they beat Lithuania in the Nations League.

TREV FIRST CAP.png

trev.png

The more Gibraltar improves, the more I want to take over as the national team manager. That’s despite international management being horrific on FM!

There was no more transfer business before the window closed as I’m happy with our squad. It does mean that Gibraltar number 1 Dayle Coleing will be first choice for us in the Conference League this season in what is potentially a weak area of the side.

coleing jul26.png

Although we’ve comfortably won the league for the last 2 seasons, Red Imps still have a good side (they narrowly missed out on Conference League group stage too) so the Gibraltar title is by no means a formality.

preview 26.png

But the league isn't really a focus for me now, I’m very interested to see how competitive we are in the Conference League this year.​

Shortly before our first League Phase game in the Conference league, our first-choice goalkeeper Coleing picked up an injury that would rule him out for a month.

cole injury26.png

Typically, goalkeeper is the only position where we don’t have any depth. So it meant that a very unfit Lewis Forshaw, who I did not plan on having anywhere near the first-team squad this season, was making his debut in a key game.

forshaw26.png

Our first match was against Dinamo Tbilisi, a side that beat us 2 seasons ago in the Conference League qualifying rounds.

tblisi past fixtures.png

So I was pretty pleased with a 1-1 in our first game against them as it showed how we’re slowly progressing as a team.

tblisi 1-1.png

Omonoia Nicosia followed in our second game, where we got another draw.

nicosia 1-1.png

So it was a solid start at least, but we then got a big win in our 3rd game at home to Red Star. 2 goals were scored by centre-back Quansah, both from indirect free kicks.

redstar 3-1.png

He celebrated a memorable month by making his Gibraltar debut against Cyprus a few weeks later - he’s the latest of the Magpies players to convert to Gibraltar nationality as the national side steadily improves in quality.

quans debut.png

That makes 3 players (Kirby, Trevitt, Quansah) who have taken up Gibraltar nationality after being at Magpies for more than 2 years, along with Mungo Bridge who is now at fellow Gibraltar club College Europa.

gib squad nov26.png

bridge career26.png

So 3 games into the Conference League group and we’re 13th in the League Phase table.

table ecl26.png

Finishing in the top 24 positions is the aim, as it means we’ll make the knockout round stage after the Christmas break.

ecl rules.png

I reckon 7 points will do it, so we just need 2 points from our remaining 3 games.

We’ll face Italians Atalanta - where I don’t expect us to get a result - but then have a very winnable match against Neftci Baku of Azerbaijan.

upcoming ecl.png

Our final match will be against Malmo, which could be an interesting one as it’s the Hampus Silverholt derby.

hampus profile.png

Malmo may or may not be the birthplace of a Swedish regen I had on FM16…​

We’ve been to some weird and wonderful places in our European games over the years, but one thing has never changed - our dismal away following.

Just one Magpies fan travelled to Bergamo to see us lose 1-0 against Atalanta.

atalanta 1-0.png

Thankfully a few more fans turned up in our next Conference League match, which was a convincing 4-0 win at home over Neftci Baku.

Baku 4-0.png

That put us on 8 points with one game to go, surely meaning that we were going to finish in the top 24 and make it to the knockout rounds after Christmas.

table5 games.png

It all came down to the Hampus Silverholt derby against Malmo, which occurred on the same day Wayne Rooney was appointed as Man United manager…

rooney.png

I knew that we were probably going to finish in the top 24 no matter what happened, so we went into the game with no fear.

malmo preview.png

And the lack of pressure worked in our favour, as we produced a brilliant performance to beat Malmo in their own backyard.

malmo 1-2.png

Not only did we finish in the top 24 of the League Phase, that win meant we finished 8th on goal difference and qualified for the last 16 immediately! Those games are a few months away but I’m already looking forward to seeing who we get.

last 16 26.png

table ecl 26.png

Domestically we’re top of the Gibraltar Football League which is expected, but Lincoln Red Imps and College Europa have been very strong this year.

league tabledec26.png

Our £1.5m record signing Josh Coburn has been solid but unspectacular since joining from Middlesborough in the summer. He has 9 goals in 7 league games, but just 1 goal in 6 Conference League League Phase matches so I’m expecting a bit more from him in the second half of the campaign.

coburn dec26.png

So now our winter break starts and the January transfer window is almost upon us.

transfer budget26.png

We still have £4m remaining from our original budget in the summer, so we could make a few big signings to improve the squad in time for the knockout stages of the Conference League.​

January 2027 has been a busy month and not just because of the transfers!

We have made a few additions to improve the squad the first being midfielder Antonio Moyano, formally of Alcoron in Spain, on a free transfer.

moyano 26.png

moyano  career26.png

Next in was Tom Fellows for £325,000 from West Brom - a quality player for our level who can play in many positions.

felows26.png

Our final signing was Yago Santiago, who was most recently at Lincoln Red Imps of all teams. He again came in on a free transfer but was signed after we confirmed our Conference League squad, so isn’t registered for the knockout stages.

santaigo.png

santiago career.png

There was just one transfer out but it was a significant one as we said goodbye to striker Ruben Enri, the main reason why we made it to the group stage of the Champions League last season.

enri gone.png

So that was us done for January and prepared for the second half of the season.

But then, very unexpectedly, the manager of Gibraltar retired.

ribas retire.png

International management is something I find really poor in Football Manager and it’s been that way for a number of years… but the temptation was too much.

apply gib.png

There was nobody else who was going to get the job. It’s earlier that I would’ve liked, but we are now the manager of the Gibraltar national team as well as Magpies.

gib manager.png

The short term aim is to get them higher than an abysmal 182nd in the rankings. Long-term ambitions are to qualify for a Euros or World Cup but that might be wishful thinking!

gib record.png

Our first match in charge is a friendly against Armenia before our EURO 2028 qualifiers, where we are in a daunting group including Croatia and Germany.

euro qualifiers.png

All the best players in the squad have recently switched to Gibraltar nationality having been in the country for more than 2 years - there’s just one notable exception, striker Jaiden Bartolo who is at Lincoln Red Imps (although was born in Slough…)

bartolo.png

One of the first things I did as manager was convince Magpies defender Will Andiyapan to convert to Gibraltar, which he did!

andiyapan gib.png

Joe Anderson has also been at Magpies for 2 years and immediately announced his intention to represent the country, so we’ve already improved the defence without playing a game!

anderson jan27.png

As exciting as national team management is, attention is now firmly on the Europa Conference League and we have been drawn against Danish side OB in the last 16.

ob ecl.png

They’re 8th in the Danish league, so it looks like a winnable tie for us on paper.

ob table.png

However, we prepped for the first leg by losing our first league game in 2 years to Red Imps

league loss.png

I was confident ahead of the OB matches, but now I have no idea which Magpies team is going to turn up. If we put in a decent performance in those 2 games, we’ll be in the quarter finals of the Conference League!

Very excited to see how you fare with the International job!

Agree that international management isn't the greatest on FM, but I find when you do these lower Nation saves and start dominating the domestic League you are essentially only waiting for the European fixtures, so International management does add an extra element to the calendar year.

The significance of our matches against OB could not be downplayed - this was the first time ever a team from Gibraltar were in the knockout stages of European competition.

Despite the January additions, I decided to stick with the team that got us to the knockout stages in the first place.

team ob27.png

But it was an awful, awful performance in the first leg - we actually went 2-0 up but were completely outplayed for the rest of the match.

ob first leg.png

That left us with it all to do in the second leg and we didn’t fare any better…

ob second leg.png

I really thought we’d beat OB over two legs but in the end it was a rather anticlimatic end to our European run this season. It was our first venture into knockout European football, but won’t be our last that’s for sure!

ob knocked out.png

Elsewhere, it was another poor youth intake for us in what is becoming an increasingly frustrating thing year-on-year. That was despite Benjamin Green probably being the best player we’ve produced.

green 27.png

We’re going to drastically improve the players we produce if we want to make Gibraltar a competitive international team.

Talking of which, our first ever squad as manager of Gibraltar contained 7 Magpies players, 4 of which have gained nationality whilst at the club.

first gib squad.png

first fixtures gib.png

And our first game was actually a decent draw against a team 70 places above us in the rankings.

armenia 1-1.png

Kelvin Morgan scored his 7th goal for Gibraltar in the match and with that become the country's highest score of all time!

morgan record.png

morgan mar27.png

However Croatia were up next and the match was as painful as I expected it to be.

croatia 5-0.png

All 7 Magpies players took part and even though we’ve improved the Gibraltar squad, we’re still nowhere near teams like Croatia in terms of quality.

magpies players gib.png

Back in Gibraltar, the league title is normally wrapped up by now but Lincoln Red Imps are having an amazing season and are right up there with us.

league runin.png

We have a crucial last 5 games, one of which is against them, to retain the Gibraltar Football League title.

I don’t even want to think about the possibility of getting to the knockout rounds of the Conference League but finishing 2nd in the Gibraltar Football League in the same season!

After worrying we’d not even win the league this season, in the end Lincoln Red Imps and College Europa ran out of steam and we eased to the title.

A 0-0 draw was an underwhelming way to win the Gibraltar Football League, but we did enough against Red Imps to win our third league title in a row.

redimps 0-0 27.png

league winners 27.png

That made us the most accomplished manager in Gibraltarian football history after only 5 seasons in charge.

hof 27.png

The only game left to play was the Rock Cup final - the domestic cup competition which we lost out to Red Imps last season.

But we got one over them again by winning the match comfortably 3-0.

rock cup final27.png

Our league victory wasn’t as emphatic as it was in previous seasons because of the 2 losses, but we had 2 unbeaten seasons before that so I guess it was about time we lost a couple!

final table 27.png

It was an interesting debut season for record signing and best player Josh Coburn. He was pretty average in the Europa Conference League for us and is wanted by Championship clubs, so we could sell him in the summer if we make a profit on the £1.5m we paid for him.

coburn may27.png

coburn stats 27.png

Spurs ended up winning the Conference League by beating Red Star in the final - what’s annoying is that we beat Red Star in the group stage so we’re feasibly good enough to get to the final already.

ecl final 27.png

Behind the scenes we have slowly been improving things, the training facilities are great for the level we’re at but there is still a lot to be done with the youth facilities.

facilities27.png

We end the season with £6m in the bank and with the prize money from European competitions we get every season, I don’t expect finances to ever be an issue now.

FINANCES 27.png

The Gibraltar Football League is up to 77th in terms of reputation, just behind the top division of Northern Ireland.

gib league rep.png

And after getting to the last 16 of the Conference League, we have shot up to 133rd in the club rankings which is very impressive for a team from Gibraltar.

club rankings27.png

Club rankings2.png

We’re also now the most reputable club in Gibraltar, the next step is to build on that 1.5 star reputation.

reputation club.png

With the finances in a good place, the board have given us another £5m to spend in the summer to upgrade the squad.

BUDGETS 27.png

I was eyeing up all sorts of deals, but then the club was put under a transfer embargo…

embargo 27.png

If we’re going to improve the squad and have a crack at getting to the group stage of a European competition again next season, this embargo needs to be lifted immediately!​

Whilst we waited for news on our transfer embargo with Magpies, we had 2 games in June 2027 with Gibraltar, both of which were EURO 2028 qualifiers against Iceland.

They were equally frustrating games, with us losing in the final minute in the first match and then drawing after going 2 nil up in the second.

iceland1.png
iceland2.png

Star boy Jaiden Bartolo got sent off in the home match where we got our first point in the group. He’s been quality for Red Imps in the last few years but has yet to show any of that form on the international stage just yet.

euro table 27.png

Those Gibraltar games were the perfect distraction from Magpies, where we were saying goodbye to key players over the last few years Anderson, Trevitt, Coombes and Coulibaly - with no indication of when we’d be able to replace them.

released27.png

But it turns out we had nothing to worry about as new owners were swiftly announced and the transfer embargo was lifted.

new owners.png

No more money was put towards the transfer budget but finally we could get to work.

However the first piece of business was a transfer out…

That was because, out of nowhere, star striker Josh Coburn announced he was planning to run his contract down and leave on a free at the end of the season. We paid £1.5m for him, so there was absolutely no chance we were letting that happen.

coburn request.png

Weirdly, he was rejecting contract offers when we agreed a deal with some clubs.

coburn contract declne.png

But in the end a £1.2m offer from Milwall was the best we could accept. I’d much rather take the money and reinvest in the squad, which is exactly what we did…

coburn milwall.png

First in was a new record signing, Rui Dionísio for £2.7m from Porto. It was a lot of money to spend and Porto made a big profit on him, but I see him as the long-term solution for us at left back

dionisi 27.png

dioniso career27.png

We also spent £2m on 19 year old Gareth Gallagher from Salford. I wanted to sign him last year when Man United released him, but we had to wait a year until we could finally get him. He’s another one I could see converting to Gibraltar nationality in a few years time.

gallagher 27.png

gallagher career27.png

Vojtech Vymola also arrived for £750k from the Czech Republic - the 19-year-old will be our new first-choice keeper in Europe, with Gibraltar number 1 Coleing likely to continue playing in the league due to the competition rules.

vymola 27.png

vymiolacareer.png

The other major signing was Richard Asamoah on loan from Arsenal, he’s one of the brightest prospects in English football so I was amazed when he actually agreed to join us on loan.

asamoah 27.png

He’ll be one of our main players in the qualifying rounds of Europe and this season we have been drawn against the champions of Kosovo, FC Drita Gjilan, in the Champions League First Qualifying Round.

cl first round 27.png

We’re a decent side now, so it’s a tie we should comfortably win.

After getting to the League Phase of the Champions League 2 years ago and the Europa Conference League last season, I’d take the Europa League League Phase this campaign!​

Our starting lineup for the 1st Champions League Qualifying Round was a lot stronger compared to what we had this time last year, with our early transfer dealings meaning debuts were handed to 3 players.

TEAM DRITA.png

But it was last season's signing Juan Gutierrez who stole the show, with his 2 goals securing a 3-1 win in the first leg in Kosovo.

drita first leg.png

The second leg was even easier for us and even better for Gutierrez.

second leg drita.png

That made it 5 goals and 2 assists in those two matches for the Uruguayan, who was playing as a striker with us yet to replace Josh Coburn up front. His performances are making me question whether we even need a new first-choice striker!

gutierez 27.png

Victory against Drita gave us a tricky tie against Slavia Prague in the second qualifying round.

slavia next leg.png

They were favourites for the tie and it was actually one of the hardest draws we could’ve got at this stage.

Slavia favs.png

But their starting eleven was low on match fitness whereas we were raring to go.

slavia fitness.png

So despite being underdogs, we were much the better team in the first leg and deserved to win 2-1 in Prague.

prague first leg.png

Once again we scored 4 at home in the second leg as we comfortably saw them off to make it to the 3rd qualifying round for the 3rd season in a row.

prague secondleg.png

During those matches we also signed Elias Jelert, previously of Fulham, on a free transfer to be our new starting right back.

jelert 27.png

jelert career 27.png

He’ll very likely make his debut against FK Partizan in the 3rd Champions League qualifying round.

partisan 3rd round.png

Once again, we are just 4 games away from making the Champions League league phase. This time I’m quite confident we can make it for the 2nd time in 3 seasons.​

The same tried and trusted Magpies lineup was selected for the home leg against Partizan Belgrade in the 3rd qualifying round of the Champions League

And they produced a ridiculous performance reminiscent of our run in the qualifying rounds 2 years ago where we were defeating superior teams easily.

first leg partizan.png

Because of that first leg result, a 1-0 loss in the second leg did not matter one bit.

second leg partizan.png

It set up a tie against FK Goteborg the champions of Sweden in the playoff round.

If we beat them we’d make it to the League Phase of the Champions League for the 2nd time in 3 seasons, lose and we’d enter the Europa League ‘League Phase’ for the first time ever.

gotegborg playoff.png

I was expecting us to blow them away but instead it was an average performance in the first leg which we ended up paying for, as we lost the game 2-0.

gote first leg.png

And that seemed to take the momentum away from us as we could not overturn the first-leg defeat in the rematch

gote second leg.png

So it’s the League Phase of the Europa League for us this season. I have to admit that I’m secretly pleased we’ve dropped down to the Europa League as I reckon we have a strong chance of making the knockout phase.

It gets us £4m in prize money as well. Not as much as the Champions League money but still a welcome amount for a club our size.

fourmil.png

We’ll play 8 League Phase games against a variety of teams, with the Besiktas the only team we’ve played before (two years ago in the Champions League).

europa draw.png

Elsewhere, Lincoln Red Imps were unlucky to be paired with Roma in the Conference League and were knocked out in the third round.

roma red imps.png

Juan Gutierrez started out as a makeshift striker for us whilst we waited to sign a new one, but ends the qualifying rounds with 10 goals in 8 games!

guti goals.png

We’re now comfortable favourites to win the Gibraltar Football League for the 4th year running, but this season the focus will be on what we can do in the Europa League.

prevoew 27.png

In other news, we’re still manager of Gibraltar, where backup Magpies players Ryan Stirk and Scott Bailey are the latest duo to take up Gibraltar citizenship after two years at the club.

stirk bailey.png

Bailey even scored the only goal of the game on his debut, which was our first win as Gibraltar's manager over the Faroe Islands. We were also narrowly defeated by Germany in the following match.

faroe1-0.png
germany result.png

Currently at Newcastle under 18s in real life, he’s been in our Magpies under 23 squad for the past few years but is more than good enough to start for Gibraltar.

bailey 27.png

I’m slowly realising that we can just keep players in our under 23s with the sole intention of them gaining Gibraltar citizenship, so with that in mind we’ve signed Miguel Azeez in the hope he’ll be playing for the country in 2 years.

azeez27.png

We’re now up to 176th in the world rankings, which is the highest-ever position for the country but there is still a long way to go.

rankings gib.png

Our focus now turns to getting Magpies into the top 24 positions of the Europa League League Phase.​

Just caught up with this, really enjoyed it. What an effort from the team in Europe - good luck for this season

Just caught up with this, really enjoyed it. What an effort from the team in Europe - good luck for this season
cheers mate slowly getting there with both Magpies and the national team - hopefully we can go on a decent run in the Europa League this season