Gibraltar: Taking a Pub Team To The Top With Bruno’s Magpies

After the disappointment of only making the Europa League quarter-finals last season, this season we are back in the big time and qualified directly for the Champions League group stage.

There weren’t too many changes to our team from last year although we did have a new look left hand side with Hudak and Balbi players who were on loan at other clubs last season.

team cl.png

Our first Champions League game was at home to RB Leipzig, the first-ever team we beat at this stage when we miraculously qualified 8 seasons ago in 2025!

Marko Lorbek was the star of the show with a hat trick from midfield - he’s a player that was close to leaving us for £9m in the summer and who I have already turned down bids of £15m from Saudi Arabia for.

leipzing aug33.png

lorbek aug33.png

Next up for us was an incredibly good result away at the Bernabeu as we held Real Madrid to a 1-1 draw.

real aug33.png

That was followed by an even more impressive result against Borussia Dortmund, albeit a fluke result as they absolutely battered us - but a win is a win!

dortmund jul33.png

Our 4th game was a routine win against Heerenveen with striker Vitor Roque grabbing both goals.

heerenvenn 33.png

So at the halfway stage we’ve had an almost perfect start and are 6th in the League Phase - it would be amazing to finish in the top 8 and it could quite easily be achievable.

champs leage group 33.png

I’m really invested in the other Gibraltar clubs in Europe this season too but it’s not been so good for Gibraltar Lions who are celebrating their first-ever season in the group stages of a competition by losing every game in the Conference League…

gib lions ecl group.png

Lincoln Red Imps on the other hand are just about on course to make the knockouts in the Europa League for the 4th consecutive season.

red imps el group33.png

Then there’s the curious case of the Gibraltar national team.

After missing out on Euro 2032 qualification by a point my hopes were high for World Cup 2034 qualification, but an incredibly tough group put a stop to that and it was an average campaign in the end.

wc qual group.png

The Gibraltar FA were simultaneously pleased with how it went but also want results to improve.

gib board.png

Just 4 of the 23-man squad were actually produced in Gibraltar. We have a centre-back pairing of 33-year-old Lewis Gibson and 32-year-old Sam Barnes and no real replacements coming through, and the players I was expecting to switch to Gibraltar nationality do not want to.

I’m slightly worried that we had our peak with the national team a few years ago!

gib players.png

We’re heavily reliant on Harry Leonard, now plying his trade in Greece after we sold him to Burnley as Magpies boss, who has an impressive 19 goals in 33 games for Gibraltar.

leonard sept33.png

That puts him behind only Lincoln Red Imps legend Jaiden Bartolo, who has been a mainstay of the national team for nearly a decade.

bratolo oct33.png

Euro 2036 qualification could definitely be possible, but that is also still 2 and a half years away!​

Since starting the save, we’ve had to play 5 players trained in Gibraltar in all domestic games to adhere to registration rules - that has meant Danny Murphy has been a key player for us and has recently become our all-time top scorer in the league.

murphy goals.png

murphy oct33.png

He joined on a free from Mons Calpe and was once the most promising Gibraltaran players, but is now on the fringes of the national team despite his impressive form for us.

murphy career oct33.png

FFP is also no longer a worry for us after the huge sums of Champions League money came into the club in the last few months.

ffp pass.png

Our 5th and 6th games in the League Phase were both against Italian clubs - a 3-0 win against Milan and a narrow loss to Juventus.

milan33.png
juve33.png

The January transfer window also came before our final 2 matches and there were a few interesting deals.

The first was that of Patrick Leganger who left to join Espanyol for £8.5m - another decent fee for a player who wanted to leave although he was a regular starter for us in the Champions League.

legang jan34.png

legang career34.png

To replace him we spent £2.7m on an 18-year-old with 7 caps for Poland - the only downside is that he’s a 5’9” centre-back…

trojan.png

Just when I thought all hope was lost with players converting to Gibraltar, Joe Gelhardt pledged his allegiance to Gibraltar a mere two days before leaving the club.

gelhardt 1.png

gelhardt 2.png

He’s 31 but becomes the key player for Gibraltar and his tenure at the club could not have gone any better. He was a key player originally before becoming more of a squad member, at which point we were able to cash in at the perfect time once he had switched to Gibraltar nationality.

gelhardt career33.png

Geldhardt instan.png

So that was us done for transfers and it may have had an impact on performances as we drew 2-2 away to Porto in the Champions League, potentially making the top 8 out of reach.

porto 2-2.png

We had just one more game remaining, a comfortable win against APOEL to put us on 17 points from 8 matches.

apoel 33.png

Was that enough to finish in the top 8… nope!

Even though we got 17 points we still finished in 9th, ahead of clubs such as Real Madrid and PSG, and would have made it straight through to the last 16 were it not for Chelsea scoring one more goal than us!

cl final table.png

Gibraltar Lions ended up 33rd in the Conference League but did get a solitary win which was looking unlikely at one point.

gib conf 33.png

Lincoln Red Imps agonisingly missed out on making it through in the Europa League knockout phases, again just on a matter of goal difference.

re imps EL33.png

It leaves us with all to do in terms of the Gibraltar coefficient, but we’ll play Hereenveen in what is probably the best draw we could have got in the knockout phase (we also beat 2-0 in the League Phase).

HEREEN playoff.png

Despite not having too much defensive depth, I’m expecting to make the last 16 of the Champions League with ease.​

Unfortunately, our best player Franco Dindart will be leaving the club in the summer and there is not much we can do about it - we either sell him for a fee now or let him go for nothing next year.

dindart feb34.png

His unhappiness didn’t impact his performances though, as he scored both goals in the first leg of the Champions League Knockout Playoff Round against Hereenven.

her first leg.png

And we claimed another clean sheet in the second leg to comfortably send us through to the last 16.

her second leg.png

It’s amazing that we’re at a point where Champions League knockout games are easy, but it makes losing in the league more frustrating. Lincoln Red Imps were the most recent to beat us, in what was only our 2nd league loss in 4 years.

redimps loss34.png

It actually puts them in 1st position in the table and whereas it’s still in our hands, we’re making it difficult for ourselves and there’s a genuine possibility that Red Imps clinch the title ahead of us.

table feb34.png

That possibility was compounded by the fact we have been drawn against Man City in the last 16 of the Champions League.

city las16 32.png

33-year-old Erling Haaland has 18 goals in 5 Champions League games this season.

haaland 34.png

You read that right - 18 goals in 5 games. That includes a double hattrick against Utrecht and 7 goals against Panathinaikos.

city pan.png
city utrecht.png

5 seasons ago we lost to Bayern Munich at this stage and it feels like it could be the same again this year.

champs league past 24.png

It could be a painful couple of matches against Man City…​

I’ve enjoyed this story immensely, I couldn’t stop reading. I lived in Gibraltar for a year and watched a lot of the league as well as became involved with the GFA covering games in a media capacity. I also became friends with several of the national team players. More importantly though, I frequented Bruno’s Bar on numerous occasions!
Please keep this going!

I’ve enjoyed this story immensely, I couldn’t stop reading. I lived in Gibraltar for a year and watched a lot of the league as well as became involved with the GFA covering games in a media capacity. I also became friends with several of the national team players. More importantly though, I frequented Bruno’s Bar on numerous occasions!
Please keep this going!

Cheers mate, it's been an interesting one for sure and I now find myself looking out for the Gibraltar national team scores in the international breaks! Should have a bit of time to keep this going over Christmas so there will be a few more updates in the next couple of weeks

I was not optimistic ahead of our Champions League Round of 16 first leg against Man City, and rightly so…

city first leg.png
city first stats.png

I don’t really know what you’re supposed to do against players like Haaland and Enderick, who are both earning over £300,000 a week.

enderick mar34.png

The second leg also went as expected.

second leg34.png

And so we were knocked out of the Champions League Last 16, again!

I thought our season was about to spiral out of control, but thankfully Red Imps lost to Mons Calpe to help us in the league.

redimps mons 34.png

And then a 1-0 win over Red Imps ensured another league title for us, our 10th in a row as Magpies boss

redimps 1-0 34.png

league win 10.png

In those ten years we’ve seen some big improvements to the Gibraltar national team too, but we’re at an annoying stage now where players are eligible to represent Gibraltar but keep turning that chance down!

rejcets gib.png

The lack of improvement to the national team in the last few years means that our upcoming Nations League group could be painful - especially as we’re up to Group B!

nations league 34.png

But that curtails another season as Magpies and Gibraltar boss - another league win and another Champions League Last 16 loss!​

This was our 12th season in charge of Magpies and yet only now have we managed to break the attendance record in the Gibraltar league

attendance record.png

In another first, one of our players was called up to the England national team. When I signed goalkeeper Eddie Booth I was hoping that one day he would commit to Gibraltar, but it turns out he’s good enough for England!

booth engalnd.png

booth sees no benefit.png

He’s a key member of our young squad and I’m hoping he’s one of many who will stick with us for the next few years as we try and make a real go of it in the Champions League.

squad view 34 1.png

saquad view 34 2.png

It was the exact same top 5 as last season in the Gibraltar league, with Red Imps going to the Champions League qualifiers, Gibraltar Lions to the Europa League qualifiers and Mons Calpe and College Europa to the Conference League qualifiers.

final table 34.png

And it was another exit at the Champions League last 16 for us, the fourth time we have been knocked out at that stage.

champs league 34 review.png

Despite being a club that can easily make it through the League Phase of the Champions League, our reputation has not changed.

reputation 34.png

The lack of an improving reputation means that players like Ilija Krivosija end up leaving the club, with the player we sold last summer now a Premier League winner with Newcastle.

kriv may34.png

kriv table.png

We do have lots of money in the bank thanks to the Champions League (and even the Gibraltar TV money to an extent), the only question is will the elite players be willing to join? The answer to that so far has been no…

balance june34.png

We’re also up to 14th in the club coefficients, which technically means we’re the 14th best club in Europe now.

coefficients 1.png

coefficients 2 34.png

However, the performances of other Gibraltar clubs in Europe means that Denmark has overtaken us in the coefficients table, so we’re now in 10th.

In reality, all it means is the team that finishes 2nd in the league has one more set of Champions League qualifying rounds to go through, so it doesn’t matter too much as we’ll still make the group stage automatically by winning the league.

country coeffc 34.png

It’s still slow progress with the national team and our next best shot of glory is EURO 2036 which seems a long way away. The only recent news of note is that Red Imps striker Jaden Bartolo is now the record appearance holder for Gibraltar.

bartolo mar34.png

So another season ends and we have several good, young players at the club. We need to keep hold of them in the summer and then hope that we can somehow make it past the last 16 of the Champions League for the first ever time next season.​

You cant catch a break on the last 16 of the champions league. But keep trying, you will get there.

Thanks to you I will try this challenge in FM24. And i will still follow your save for sure

You cant catch a break on the last 16 of the champions league. But keep trying, you will get there.

Thanks to you I will try this challenge in FM24. And i will still follow your save for sure
cheers mate will be interested to hear how you get on - I feel like winning the Champions League is doable but it's going to take 3 or 4 more seasons at least!

It’s the summer of 2034 and we’re now entering our 13th season in charge of Bruno’s Magpies in Gibraltar and our 7th year in charge of the Gibraltar national team.

The summer transfer window was defined by a small number of significant transfers. The first was one we already knew about, with striker Franco Dindart leaving for £13m with one year left on his contract.

dindart jun34.png

dindart career 34.png

That was the record fee for a player sold in Gibraltar and I did not intend to break it, until Man United came in with £28.5m for Marko Lorbek…

lorbek fee.png

lorbek jul34.png

He was one of our best players but £28.5m was too much to turn down for a player we signed for £2.5m just 3 years ago.

lorbek record fee.png

To replace him we made a loan signing with nobody willing to join permanently who would make the squad better - Wellington Teifke therefore joins us on loan from Liverpool for the year.

wellington teifke.png

We’ve also signed the versatile Brian Juarez for £6m, I’m not sure on his best position but he could potentially be playing a lot of matches at centre back this season.

juarex jun34.png

The final signing was striker Guillermo Greco, a record signing at £8m who ruins our wage structure but was a player I had to get once I knew he was interested in joining the club.

greco jun34.png

So that was it in terms of transfers, despite the big departure of Lorbek we arguably have a stronger squad going into the campaign but we have a very tough Champions League group with 3 English teams and Bayern Munich among our opponents.

Chaps League Group.png

Elsewhere, Lincoln Red Imps smashed Sporting Lisbon but had to settle for the Europa League league phase, whereas Gibraltar Lions are in the Conference League group stage for the second successive season.

lisbon34.png

The Gibraltar league is a formality now despite the improvement of other teams in the division, so once again this season is all about our performances in the Champions League.​