Giggs opens door to Wales return

• Thread starter Thread starter DMF
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 36
  • Views Views 3K
Never believe anything of wikipedia as its bulshit and any one can edit it. And redcafe is just a forum like this so not much proof is there?

Yes its a forum where people know much about club and players discuss rather than kids. Its upto you people what to believe.

Never believe anything of wikipedia as its bulshit and any one can edit it. And redcafe is just a forum like this so not much proof is there?

True, but at least he's done some research, so his claims have more proof than Aannddyy's...

giggs should never retire from man utd or wales the lads a machine.

Are you retarded? He's lived in Manchester pretty much his entire life. Therefore he was eligible for England..
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2004/oct/06/theknowledge.sport

Don't think Giggs could have played for england in the same way almunia could because in Almunia's case he is now a naturalised british citizen and so can apply for a British passport. Where as Giggs has always been british and has always had a british passport so living in england for 5 + years makes no difference. There's no such thing as a naturalised englishman.

Wow; Giggs will play in friendlies against Kazakhstan & Uzbekistan; What is the big deal .......

If Giggs was schooled in England and if he attended an English school for longer than five years, he is then eligible to play for England. Both of his parents may be Welsh but there are others who have played for England without coming from English descent. Gabrial Agbonlahor is of Nigerian and Scottish descendant and yet he is eligible to play for England so from my point of view, your theory makes no sense.

Wasn't 100% sure before but i just found a pretty useful site which explains the issue of eligibility for UK citizens which is a bit of a special case because all four home nations are part of one national state, the United Kingdom. The site even cites Giggs as an example.
http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamBack/Eligibiliy.html

Giggs couldn't play for england.

Aannddyy, you should probably check your facts before calling someone a ******.

If Giggs was schooled in England and if he attended an English school for longer than five years, he is then eligible to play for England. Both of his parents may be Welsh but there are others who have played for England without coming from English descent. Gabrial Agbonlahor is of Nigerian and Scottish descendant and yet he is eligible to play for England so from my point of view, your theory makes no sense.
gabby was born in england mate thats why hes eligible. ando has got it spot on

Agbonlahor was born in england so can play for england.

Giggs was born in wales, has no english parents or grandparents and does not apply under naturilised british citizen rules as he was already a brit. He couldn't have played for england.

giggs on england:

Speaking exclusively in an interview for BBC Choice's 45 Minutes programme, Giggs said despite people often thinking he opted to represent Wales rather than England - he isn't actually qualified to parade the three lions on his shirt.
Giggs explained: "I'm Welsh through and through.

"I was born in Wales, I grew up in Wales and my family are Welsh. "The confusion was because I played for England schoolboys - but only because I went to an English school. I couldn't actually play for England!"

Fair enough but if you look at the Andy Driver situation, he was born in England without any Scottish descent but he only fell a few months short of the required time at school that would of made him eligible fro Scotland. Surely if the same rules apply, Giggs would of been able to play for England.

Fair enough but if you look at the Andy Driver situation, he was born in England without any Scottish descent but he only fell a few months short of the required time at school that would of made him eligible fro Scotland. Surely if the same rules apply, Giggs would of been able to play for England.
that residency rule is fairly recent, because giggs couldnt have played for england. ill try and find exactly when it came

Yeah, thats true.
I just checked and i think it's a recent rule they've introduced that if you are schooled in the country for long enough you apply. Wouldn't have been around when giggs first played for wales.

I made this thread in March, and it gets all it's responses in May.. XD

This.

When Giggs came to choose who to play for at international level, his only choice was Wales. Not like, say, Michael Owen. Under the current rules, a player like Giggs could choose to play for England now. Which is wrong in my view (it really cripples some of the smaller nations and makes it even more difficult for those without strong national leagues to qualify for major tournaments which makes for a vicious circle) but besides the point.

Not sure why him coming out of international retirement would be of any use on the pitch. Might be useful off the pitch though as Wales are trying to develop a team of very young players who'll all peak at roughly the same time and having an experienced player like Giggs just within the squad would be very useful.

Back