Giving your young keepers 1st team action

Reaction score
WOW this is very hard to do. I am playing as Ajax in my first season. I have nearly wrapped up the league so I am being even more uncautious with allowing youth players some game time

but my main problem is the young goalie van der hart. He gets made a mockery of every game, how do you lot get around this?

I would like to bring him through eventually as he has good potential

I recently sold ter Stegen because I feel my regen keeper is ready to be the first choice. (also PSG offered me £45m for ter Stegen)

I had him on loan the two previous seasons, first at Millwall in the Championship and then at Stoke in the PL. This last season, which I just finished, he played 28 matches for me while ter Stegen played 39. ter Stegen had an avg rating of 7.05 with 56% clean sheets, while Searle (the regen) had 7.03 with 57% clean sheets.

When I checked the attributes, I also noticed that the key attributes for a GK were actually in favour of my regen. ter Stegen's contract was about to run out next year, so I had to either renew his contract (he was on £94k p/w and demanded around £150k to sign a new contract) or sell him. So I sold him.

Now I have a goalkeeper with roughly the same quality (if not better) at £15,5k per week.

View attachment 351883

I recently sold ter Stegen because I feel my regen keeper is ready to be the first choice. (also PSG offered me £45m for ter Stegen)

I had him on loan the two previous seasons, first at Millwall in the Championship and then at Stoke in the PL. This last season, which I just finished, he played 28 matches for me while ter Stegen played 39. ter Stegen had an avg rating of 7.05 with 56% clean sheets, while Searle (the regen) had 7.03 with 57% clean sheets.

When I checked the attributes, I also noticed that the key attributes for a GK were actually in favour of my regen. ter Stegen's contract was about to run out next year, so I had to either renew his contract (he was on £94k p/w and demanded around £150k to sign a new contract) or sell him. So I sold him.

Now I have a goalkeeper with roughly the same quality (if not better) at £15,5k per week.

View attachment 351883

Awesome! And only 19! He's amazing.

I think the most difficult positions to bring through new, young players are GK and CBs. What I do is initially just play them in league cup games and the odd FA Cup games (Against smaller opposition) when they are no where near good enough, then as they get better I will play them in all cup games and the odd league game when my GK needs a rest/the season is pretty much wrapped up.

Then as they get to being good keepers, but still not good enough to be my starter (Either performance or attributes wise), then I loan them out.

Had alot of success doing this, bringing through a fair few of world class keepers in FM 13!