Reaction score
Hey everyone!

My first season with Man Utd is coming to an end and VDS is retiring. I've been looking at numerous world class keepers including Adler, Romero, Akinfeev, Lloris but I just got an idea for a cheaper (?) alternative.

Perhaps I should have Tomasz Kuszczak as my first keeper and buy Areola as second, slowly replaceing T K as my first. Unfortunately this might not be safe enough to secure the premiership and champions league, but Its still an interesting gamble :)
I also looked at Joe Hart since I would really like to see a majority of british players in my squad but Areola is still quite something!

What do you think?

(sorry for broken english)

on my old save when i moved to man utd they had marco amelia and he played brilliant after he retired i got jack butland and he was immense

Be careful as the keeper is the one position you don't want to gamble with. That kind of decision you should make based on your playing style and the quality of your defence.
If you've got quality back, I guess you can take a risk and proceed with your plan. But if you like to play attacking then the keeper is a very important part of your team and should get a good one.
I know Adler has probably been the most important part of my champions cup successes as each goal matters a lot there...

Akinfeev - £13 million. Probably the main reason I'm top of the league. Saved 11 penalties from 15 so far, Clichy and Djourou keep giving them away!

Its reaaly between Adler and Akinfeev.

I personally would go for Akinfeev.

I've had Adler on previous games and he's really, really good. Akinfeev as well. Might sign one of these plus Areola and let him play easy cup matches etc. When I think of it, In a few years they will be kind of equal and the competition for the first spot will only benefit their development even more.

Thanks for the replies!

Akinfeev is great, Guillermo Ochoa is a nice and cheap option. On my current game Akinfeev plays for United and Ochoa for Arsenal.

Definitely get Areola, he becomes amazing. But i'd buy another keeper like Adler/Akinfeev for the immediate situation, and slowly bring in Areola. Play him in cup games, and easy league games.

In whichever FM game I ever played, Akinfeev is one of the first player I buy.

I'm currently in my 7th season and he really is becoming a top class keeper at 30, he was a bit inconsistent some of the time during his 20s.
I've just bought Areola and I'm sure he's class as well.
Another keeper I got is Manuel Neuer, got him cheap as he requested transfer from Shalke. He's just as good as Akinfeev, same age.
It's just a shame he doesnt get too many games as Akinfeev is on fire, and whenever I play the League cup or less important matches I use Ben Amos, who has also been keeping a lot of clean sheets for me.
But I would definitely get Akinfeev, 15M is nth when you think about the price money you will get when he saves a penalty for you in the CL final lol.

David de gea form atletico madrid has minimum realease clause 17.5m still verry young but world class at same time sell kuzsack buy butland train him and tutour him:)

Adler, signed him for my Arsenal team . Two words - Top class

Definitely get Areola, he becomes amazing. But i'd buy another keeper like Adler/Akinfeev for the immediate situation, and slowly bring in Areola. Play him in cup games, and easy league games.

Thats exactly what I'm going to do.

Thanks everyone! :D

---------- Post added at 05:26 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 07:12 PM ----------

I bought Adler and he has really been great the first matches. Won the penalty shootout vs Chelsea in the community shield thanks to him (two saved penalties) and a very solid game overall.

David De Gea, he starts over Van Der Sar for me and i`m in my first season

What happened to Lindengaard? He's quality for me in the second half of my first season. Taking the reins from Van Der Sar slowly but surely. Thinking of offloading Amos and bringing in Fiorillo, Areola or Smithies.

David De Gea is a strong signing if you need one. He eventually overtakes Casillas after awhile as Spain's #1 keeper. In a save I had, he was named Goalkeeper of the Year 3 times and led Spain to a World Cup win in 2018. The two Germans can do a good job as well as Akinfeev. But I recommend giving Lindengaard a chance before you go panic buy. He's safe hands for me right now.

GK-
Maarten Stekelenburg - Ajax
Rene Adler - Leverkusen
Manuel Neuer - Schalke
Guillermo Ochoa - America
Jhonny Da Silva - Tacuarembo
Hugo Lloris - Lyon
Steve Mandanda - Marseille
Sebastien Frey - Fiorentina
Vincent Enyeama - H. Tel Aviv
David De Gea - Atletico Madrid
Igor Akinfeev - CSKA