Scott92

Reaction score
I Was Just Reading Through Some Threads People Have Made And Seen That Some People Do Not Put Goalkeepers As A Sub

Personaly I Always Have A Goalkeeper On The Bench Just Incase But I Was Just Intrested To See How Many Of Yous Do Not Have A Goalkeeper On The Bench

Once my first team goalkeeper was injured and had to put my 2nd choice in goal which left me with no goalkeeper for the bench. Then my 2nd choice got injured so had to put an outfield player in and got beat 6-2. Was winning two nil. Learnt from that and now have 3 gk in my first team.

ALWAYS have a GK sub. No two ways about it.

And also, please stop capitalizing every word, it really hurts to read.

I did, but seeing as I've never had a GK get injured during a game, I stopped having one.

always have a Gk sub, always!! its the 1st sub i choose no matter what!

i never have one. on my many seasons on various different files i would say the goalie gets injured/sent off about once every 5 seasons on average, which negates the need to name a second goalie on the bench imo.

plus there are a few outfield players on the game who are more than capable goalies who you can use in an emergency. phil jagielka is a notable one who is good enough for the premier league, many lower league players are good enough too.

IRL sheff utd never named a 2nd goalie on the bench if jagielka was in the squad, as he was such a good back up

Last edited:
I try to have 3 goalkeepers in my squad that I would be happy to play in my first team and some youth goalkeepers.

1 for my first team
1 that I dip in and out of reserves to give younger keepers a chance in reserves but keep my 2nd keeper up to scratch
1 that can go out on loan with a recall option.

Very rarely 1 gets onto my bench as my goalkeepers never seem to get injured.

I keep my squad down to two GKs (currently Reina and Bouzanis) and always have Bouzanis on the bench. If I have a healthy lead I sometimes bring him on to keep him happy...like I would with other fringe/reserve players.

I have usually had three goalies in my main team and when I can have seven subs I always have a goalie among them. However in my Burgos story, having a 22 player registration limit and being able to put to play U19s I only have two goalies in the first team. And because I can only name five subs, I don't have a goalie among them except when injuries are peaking. Currently my two goalies are injured and I've had to play one or two matches with the U19, luckily he's improved to just average level.

ever since i started playing fm i never put a sub goalie on the bench its very rare ur goalkeeper gets injured during a game or sent off i have 7 player subs if i have a limit i leave the goal keeper out never had trouble once altho once on fm 2009 i done the same was up 4 - 2 ht goalkeeper sent off had to put cardozo in goals let in 4 rofl

I feel that a GK on the bench is important. You do not want to risk having your main GK getting injured/sent-off during a game.
It is better if he is a Home Grown player, as this will count towards your numbers of Home Grown players

I always have 3 GK in the first team and one on the bench for "incase"

maan, i usually keep Reina, and sell other bench gk. But he got injury for 2 weeks, i got just one u18 gk :(, bad way to learn lesson...

always have a Gk sub, always!! its the 1st sub i choose no matter what!

Same.

I can't really afford to now as I'm playing as a Third Division team in Spain which only allows 5 substitutes, but I do anyway out of habit and just in case my keeper does pick up an injury.