Glasgow Rangers - The journey back to the top

Reaction score
Ally Mccoist leaves Rangers after two years in charge where he won the Scottish third division title (now known as Scottish League Two). Rangers new manager is life long Rangers fan Craig Smith who will takeover in stage two of getting back to the top league in Scotland.

No summer signings made apart from the ones who were already brought in and no-one left the club. The signings who arrived in the summer are unable to play until September so last seasons players will get their chance until then. Moving on here the results from July - October as the season begins!

July Results

Scottish Challenge Cup First Round
Rangers 4-1 Airdrie United
Barrie McKay (2)
Kyle Hutton
Andy Little

August Results

Scottish League Cup First Round
Rangers 3
-1 Dunfermline
Barrie McKay
Emilson Cribari (2)

Scottish League One
Stenhousemuir 1-5 Rangers
Emilson Cribari
Andy Little (2)
Barrie McKay (2)

Scottish Challenge Cup Second Round
Rangers 1
-0 Montrose
Andy Little

Scottish League One
Rangers 3
-0 Arbroath
Lee McCulloch
Andy Little
David Templeton

Scottish League Cup Second Round
Aberdeen 2-1 Rangers
Cammy Smith
Scott Vernon

Emilson Cribari

Scottish League One
Rangers 1-1 Airdrie
Lee McCulloch

September Results

Scottish League One
Stranraer 2-3 Rangers
Jon Daly
Grant Gallacher (og)
Dean Shiels

Scottish Challenge Cup Quarter Final
East Fife 1-1 Rangers
Lee McCulloch
Rangers won 6-5 on penalties
Penalties - Lee McCulloch, Nicky Law, Andy Little, Kyle Hutton, David Templeton, Lee Wallace

Scottish League One
East Fife 1-2 Rangers
David Templeton (2)

Scottish League One
Rangers 2-0 Ayr United
Jon Daly (2)

Scottish League One
Rangers 3-1 brechin City
Bilel Mohsni
Jon Daly
Nicky Clark

October Results

Scottish League One
Forfar 0-2 Rangers
Bilel Mohsni
Lee Wallace

Scottish Challenge Cup Semi Final
Raith Rovers 3-4 Rangers
Nicky Clark
Bilel Mohsni
Lewis MacLeod
Lee McCulloch

Scottish League One
Rangers 1-1 Dunfermline
Lewis MacLeod

Scottish League One
Rangers 2-1 Stenhousemuir
David Templeton
Dean Shiels

Ten League Games in and a comfortable seven point lead at the top of the table from Ayr United who are second. Brilliant to get to the Challenge Cup final wasn't easy as Montrose, East Fife and Raith Rovers made us fight for a place in the next round. So Far we have been really poor defensively and at times not good enough in front of goal. Missing too many good chances then losing poor goals which the team has to get better with or Scottish Premiership teams will destroy us. Result against Aberdeen was not bad, Aberdeen fairly deserved it and the summer recruits were unable to play until September so they were unavailable. Performances need to improve as we haven't been good enough so far this season. Results from November - December will be put up once I have completed them. We also have a cup final to look forward to in November against Dundee. Hopefully we can win our first trophy in our journey back to the Premiership!

November - December results

Here are the results from November and December, very pleased to see results and performances got better.

November

Scottish Cup Third Round
Rangers 0-0 Queen's Park

Scottish Cup Third Round Replay
Queen's Park 1-2 Rangers
Jon Daly (2)

Scottish League One
Airdrie 1-0 Rangers

Scottish League One
Arbroath 0-3 Rangers
Jon Daly
Lewis MacLeod
David Templeton

Scottish Challenge Cup Final
Rangers 1-2 Dundee (after extra time)
Jon Daly

Scottish League One
Rangers 5-0 Stranraer
Ian Black (2)
Jon Daly
Bilel Mohsni
Andy Little

Scottish League One
Ayr United 1-3 Rangers
Richard Foster
Jon Daly (2)

December

Scottish Cup Fourth Round
Peterhead 1-3 Rangers
Barrie McKay (2)
Jon Daly

Scottish League One
Rangers 2-0 East Fife
Barrie McKay
Andy Little

Scottish League One
Rangers 5-2 Forfar
David Templeton
Lee McCulloch
Lewis MacLeod (2)
Barrie McKay

Scottish League One
Brechin City 1-2 Rangers
Barrie McKay
Lewis MacLeod

Scottish League One
Dunfermline 0-3 Rangers
Nicky Clark
Bilel Mohsni
Nicky Law

Scottish League One
Stenhousemuir 2-1 Rangers
Barrie McKay

Poor way to end the year by defeat to Stenhousemuir. A mixed couple months for the team with our first league defeats of the season and also losing the Challenge Cup final, didn't help goalkeeper Cammy Bell was sent off early on but the players bounced back by hammering Stranraer 5-0 at Ibrox. Things are getting better and we're progressing. Ayr United at home in the Scottish Cup fifth round next month. We're hoping to do well in the Scottish Cup after losing the Challenge cup final and going out early on in the League cup. January window will open and players who haven't done good enough could be sold or will be sold at the end of the season. Unlikely to make signings as we don't have alot of money. Looking forward to the next couple months will update after completed, twelve points clear at the top of the table as Ayr United are still second. David Templeton ruled out for three months because of a bad tackle in the Stenhousemuir game, after the game Stenhousemuir were criticised for playing dirty by the media.

January - February results!

The January transfer window opens! I have no real interest to bring in anyone only really looking to sell if decent offers are made, Wigan made a bid of 350k for Lewis Macleod but I felt he was worth more and rejected. This was the only bid made for any of my players during the window and I never brought anyone in or sold anyone in a fairly boring window but I will be looking to do business in the summer! Anyway here is results from january - February.

January

Scottish League One
Rangers 3-1 Arbroath
Jon Daly (3)

Scottish League One
Rangers 2-2 Airdrie
Jon Daly (2)

Scottish league One
Stranraer 2-3 Rangers
Jon Daly
Barrie McKay
Dean Shiels

Scottish League One
Rangers 2-0 Ayr United
Barrie McKay (2)

Scottish League One
East Fife 0-1 Rangers
Barrie McKay

Scottish League One
Rangers 1-1 Brechin City
Lee Wallace

February

Scottish League One
Forfar 0-6 Rangers
Ian Black
Barrie McKay
Nicky Law
Nicky Clark (3)

Scottish Cup Fifth Round
Rangers 2-1 Ayr United
Barrie McKay
Nicky Clark

Scottish League One
Rangers 2-0 Dunfermline
Barrie McKay
Nicky Clark

Scottish League One
Rangers 3-3 Stenhousemuir
Ian Black
Barrie McKay

A quick couple of months which flew bye, a wonderful couple of months for Barrie Mckay who seems to play fantastic every game, he's now the top goalscorer. Nicky Clark beginning to come in towards the end of the month and score some goals in what has been a poor season for him in front of goal so far! I am absolutely delighted to get to the Scottish Cup Quarter final which will be a match you won't want to miss as we host Celtic in the first old firm derby in 2 years, very excited for that! The league is almost won with 8 league games left about we should only need about 3 wins to secure the title. One man who has impressed me this season with in the league is top league goal scorer John gemmill of Stenhousemuir he's been unbelievable! he's scored twenty four league goals in twenty three league games which has attracted interest from me and I may look to bring to the club in the summer. My next update will include March until the end of the season! Hopefully maybe a Scottish Cup Final will be in the update and an Old Firm Victory! very excited for the Old Firm game next month!