Triv

Toffeepops are incredible
Reaction score
Welcome to:

Globetrotting with Mickey Mtanna

Here i will be tracking the progress of my football manager alter-ego Mickey Mtanna
as he attempts to achieve the impossible:

1. Complete the Alphabet Challenge -
Win the top division in 26 different countries with each club starting with a different letter of the alphabet.

2. Complete the San Marino Challenge -
Win the Italian league with the club side San Marino and manage the national team San Marino and qualify for a major international tournament (world cup or Euros).

3. Complete the Pentagon Challenge -
Win the Champions League in all five continents.

4. Complete the International God Challenge -
Win the World cup and the five major continental tournaments (Euros, African Cup of Nations, Copa America, North American Gold Cup and the Asian Cup).

I attempted something similar a couple of months ago on FM12 but was never likely to complete due to how late i started it. With FM13 not even officially released, i have given myself much more time to give this a go.

Mtanna takes over at Xerez

As with my previous attempt i will be starting with Xerez, due to the relatively small amount of teams beginning with the letter X. Xerez are currently in Liga Adelante, the second tier of the Spanish league.

Mickey Mtanna

Mickey Mtanna is a 25 year old Englishman, with a second nationality of Spanish.
Background reputation is set at Sunday League Footballer.
View attachment 279687
View attachment 279688

Mtanna takes Xerez hot seat

View attachment 279689View attachment 279690View attachment 279691
Taking over from the unfortunate Esteban Vigo, who only took over 17 days ago.
The minimum expectation is for the club to achieve mid-table but i chose top half finish.
I have no money to spend and already 3.2k over my wage budget so i will have sell before i buy.
I perhaps foolishly promised to bring all out attack to Los Xerecistas.

Xerex Squad

View attachment 279692View attachment 279693
As you can see, i have a fairly large squad so transfers in aren't necessarily required right now.

Jose Mari, Marquitos and on-loan Lucas Porcar are the three strongest players in my squad according to my assistant. He also points out that Stephane Emana and Inigo Hernandez are very promising prospects in the Under 18s.
View attachment 279694View attachment 279695View attachment 279696View attachment 279697View attachment 279698

July/August 2012

Xerez struggle to bring in new faces.
With no money available it has been difficult to get any players in, we tried optimistically with several high profile loans, as well as some less high profile loans - all failed. We did manage to sign three players on free transfers.
View attachment 279828View attachment 279829View attachment 279830

Four clean sheets out of five!
After failing to secure any high profile friendlies we had to make do with the four low-key friendlies we were already scheduled, adding the customary intra-squad friendly against our b-team. W3, D1, L1 was a satisfactory pre-season with just the one game where we conceded.
View attachment 279831

Marquitos injury nightmare!
Arguably our best player was dealt a huge blow in the 88th minute of our final pre-season friendly match, taken off with a torn hamstring. He is likely to miss half the season. A huge blow to say the least.
View attachment 279835

Bookies see Xerez as a mid-table bet.
Unsurprisingly we aren't given much hope of promotion, Villarreal are strong favourites the bounce straight back up. Mid-table is where we are expected to be, i am aiming slightly higher but promotion is unlikely, fact.
View attachment 279836

Two wins out of two as Adelante kicks off!
With just 2 league games in August we proved we are no pushovers. 2 wins, 6 points, 4 goals scored, 0 conceded. A great start, admittedly against teams we should beat.
View attachment 279838

Velez fires Xerez into promtion places!
Still very early days of course but thanks to Velez's 4 goals we currently sit second in the table.
View attachment 279841

Player of the month: Inigo Velez
A favourite of mine from the last Xerez save, Velez has scored all our competitive goals so far.
View attachment 279842

I swear the only way you could have made a harder challenge would have been if you had to go through it in alphabetical order.

I'll definately be following this as it sounds impossible.

This will be very interesting, hope you achieve all your goals - would be very good if you did man. Good luck.

Might try this out, working on my San Marino one currently.

Woah man, this is like the challenge of ALL challenges... There is no way in **** I will try this but I will surely be following and supporting you! Good luck and all the best mate! :D

Thanks for your comments guys, will hopefully get time for an update tomorrow :)

September/October 2012

Unfancied Xerez flying high!!
Miraculously we have started the season with a string of sensational results which see us unbeaten in Adelante at the end of October, amassing ten wins out of 11. Are we the real deal? Hard to say, whilst the results have been great we have ridden our luck a lot in some of the games.

Villarreal sack Velazquez
In the same period we have won every league game except one, Villarreal - the outstanding pre-season favourites - have only won once in the league. The final game in October for Villarreal was at home to us, a 3-2 win for us saw Villarreal fall into the relegation zone! Julio Velazquez was promptly sacked. Marcos Senna's and Cani's wages combined are more than my entire wage budget at Xerez!

Xerez cup dream over
While the league results have been good the cup was brief. A fortunate 2-1 extra time over Guadalajara in the second round was followed by a trip to Girona where we were outplayed and outscored. The league is always the priority of course so i'm not too bothered.

2/9/12
Castilla 1-3 Xerez
(Tato, Velez 2)

7/9/12
Cordoba 1-2 Xerez
(Velez, Maldonado)

12/9/12
Spanish Cup 2nd Rnd
Guadalajara 1-2 Xerez (aet)
(Maldonado, Camara)

16/9/12
Xerez 3-2 Barcelona B
(Diao, Jose Mari, Tato)

23/9/12
Xerez 1-0 Mirandes
(Jose Mari)

30/9/12
Lugo 1-3 Xerez
(Vega 3)

7/10/12
Alcorcon 1-3 Xerez
(Velez, Herrero 2)

12/10/12
Xerez 0-0 Numancia

17/10/12
Spanish Cup 3rd Rnd
Girona 2-1 Xerez
(Maldonado)

20/10/12
Xerez 6-0 Las Palmas
(Maldonado, Velez 3, Emana 2)

27/10/12
Villarreal 2-3 Xerez
(Herrero, Velez 2)

View attachment 280580

Doing really well, well played. How are Villarreal so bad?!
No idea, except for the Rossi injury there is no reason, by far the richest team in the league they should be doing better. I'm expecting them to improve following change of manager.

Great start Triv, would be nice if you could post your formation/tactics :) Promotion's looking a possibility already, which would be a brilliant first season. What was your experience set at again?

Great start Triv, would be nice if you could post your formation/tactics :) Promotion's looking a possibility already, which would be a brilliant first season. What was your experience set at again?
I'm working at 5 but i will post up some tactic pics tomorrow. My rep was sunday footballer. :)

My three tactics set up are
1: 2-7-1 (TBH's tactics, originally for FM12 recently updated for FM13)
2: 4-5-1 (A tactic i used with great success with Man City in FM12)
3: 4-5-1 (Another FM12 tactic with my City save)
View attachment 280653View attachment 280654View attachment 280655

November/December 2012

Xerez and Elche pull away!
Xerez maintain their fine form, remaining unbeaten in the league after 17 games. League top scorers Elche have almost an identical record in 2nd place as the rest of Adelante are left behind. The top two have yet to play each other.

Marquitos finally makes Xerez debut.
Xerez left winger Marquitos, who picked up a big injury pre-season, finally made his debut in the 2-0 win over Murcia. He has started every game since with the team playing some wonderful football, the front 5 of Herrero, Rueda, Maldonado, Velez and now Marquitos are really starting to gel.

Clean Sheets!!!
Very little has gone wrong so far so i'm not bothered about clean sheets, we've been outscoring teams and getting the results. But November saw us win 4 league games without conceding and the 5th game conceded in the 90th minute. This isn't a true reflection of our defence, more other teams wastefulness as most games are very closely matched.

4/11/12
Xerez 3-3 Sporting
(Velez, Israel 2)

11/11/12
Murcia 0-2 Xerez
(Velez, Mendoza)

18/11/12
Xerez 1-0 Girona
(Maldonado)

25/11/12
Almeria 0-4 Xerez
(Rueda, Marquitos, Herrero 2)

1/12/12
Xerez 1-0 Racing
(Herrero)

9/12/12
Xerez 3-1 Ponferradina
(Mandoza, Rueda, Maldonado)

View attachment 280657

Look really good, hopefully you can stay unbeaten all season!

Look really good, hopefully you can stay unbeaten all season!
I doubt that will happen, as long as i don't blow promotion from here i'll be happy but there is still a lot of games left including both games against Elche.

December 2012 / January 2013

Xerez run continues into the new year!
This team is a joy to manage right now. Having settled on the 2-7-1 formation and for the last 2-3 months had a settled starting 11, we really are playing some nice football full of confidence. Still unbeaten at the end of January, only complete capitulation can seemingly rob us of promotion.

Injury Crisis!!!
This last month has seen our team ravaged my injury in one position - full back. Redondo, Ruz, Camara and Rico all picked up injuries with only Rico's being a minor one. Leaving us with just veteran Mendoza and, rather fortunately, new signing Romario. In addition to these injuries top scorer Velez is out for 3-4 weeks, he missed the clash against 3rd placed Hercules at the end of January and will miss the clash against 2nd placed Elche who we play next.

Jose Mari leaves, Rueda to follow!
In January we accepted an offer we couldn't refuse for out of favour striker Jose Mari from Lugo. Star midfielder Jose Manuel Rueda refused to sign a new contract and will join Las Palmas in the summer, a huge loss.

Xerez bring in 3 new faces!
Most players we have tried to go for, we haven't been able to offer more than 800 a week wages so we have struggled to agree terms. Entering the transfer window i wasn't expecting new arrivals. Having previously set the director of football in charge of incoming transfers i was delighted when i got a message saying Romario had signed on loan. The other 2 were my signings on deadline day, when i was bombarded with agents offering me players. The only two which i liked and could afford wages for were signed.
View attachment 280715View attachment 280716View attachment 280717

23/12/12
Sabadell 1-2 Xerez
(Mendoza, Velez)

13/1/13
Recreativo 0-3 Xerez
(Velez, Marquitos, Tato)

20/1/13
Xerez 2-1 Huesca
(Velez 2)

27/1/13
Xerez 2-0 Hercules