Tactic Download -
View attachment 8998

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Fast Attacking Football

No need to guess the third word =)

My philosophy has always been of possession football. However back in my younger days one team I loathed was Man Utd. But one year the football they played was absolutely breathtaking, to the point I despised them no more. Yes, it was the treble winning season back in 1999.

The tactic I’ve created isn’t designed on that exact team. Partly because there are no Beckham’s about nowadays. But the philosophy of fast and attacking football is the route I’ve decided to take in this 442, along with my preference for a more symmetrical designed system.

Using the Flanks

It was all about quick football and really putting the opposition on the back-foot, exploiting the flanks and bombarding crosses into the box when directing the play, along with swift counter-attacking football on the break.

To promote the ball being focused into this area, distribution is mainly aimed to the two full-backs to get the team moving forward quick and with a purpose, so the distribution is set to quick.

We’ll also be playing a wider game so our attacking width is set to wide to try and stretch the opposition but also not too extreme that it will compromise us getting back into a decent defensive shape.

Passing into Space

There’s not going to be much creativity in a standard 442, so turning the opposition around is a focus I’ve placed on this formation so passing into space is utilised. To aid this, both strikers have been set to play wider. This should also help to alleviate any pressure on our team by lumping the ball down the line for the strikers to chase.

This setting should also promote a greater willingness to play on the counter whenever an opportunity arises and use the free space that should be vacated on the opponent’s two flanks when their attack has broken down.

High Line

A high line will be used as we do want to put pressure on the opponents and not allow them to settle down into a rhythm.

No counter-pressing has been ticked nor regroup as I wanted to implement a balance here. The system by default probably isn’t the best for counter-pressing, and this as a result should leave us with more counter-attacking opportunities from our own half as we simply won’t have so much possession with the 442.

But if there is an opportunity to pin the opposition back and try to win the ball back as quickly as possible, the option is there – especially when needing to chase a game and the higher line will naturally support this.

Set Pieces - No Exploits

I’ve set them up Beckhameque, where the ball will be launched into the 6 yard box with players attacking the quality delivery. The AP Support has been set as default taker for these.

Throw-ins are set to mixed rather than my usual short. With two strikers in the box the option of a longer throw is good to have, along with a quick throw if there is an opportunity to catch the opponents off guard.

Training / OI

FM Touch training is set to “attacking” to correspond with the team mentality.
No Opposition instructions required, just hire a decent assistant manager with good tactical attributes.

A Sample United team to suit this formation

SK-A Schmeichael
FB-S Neville
FB-S Evra
BPD-D Ferdinand
CD-D Vidic
W-A Giggs
CM-D Keane
AP-S Scholes
W-A C Ronaldo
DLF-S Rooney
P-A Van Nistelrooy

Results

Needing two class wingers to get the most out of the system I picked Man City for testing. I also brought in Dybala as City don’t have many forwards in their squad at the start.

The first half of the season I was tinkering with the system here and there, and we ended up with just the 44 points. However within that time I tweaked things to how I wanted them to play out and optimistic the second half would go well.

The second half of the season therefore was much better scoring more and conceding less, notching up 53 points with 17 wins and 2 draws. We still ended up with 97 points which wasn't bad going in the circumstances.

We only lost one game all season in the league, and the highlight was my best CL Final result I’ve had in the game, trouncing Real Madrid 6-0.

So it’s a system when your players are on form, it can score a decent number of goals and still be defensively sound. But with only four in midfield, to win trophies they must not only be world-class, but have a good work-rate too as you won’t have so much possession.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

---

I haven’t tested with a lower team, but given the system is based on simplicity, hard working players with pace and stamina and less need for technical ability, this should hopefully work with several teams providing they have a quick back-line to allow for the higher defensive line and line of engagement. A good keeper sweeper is a must too. Any one wanting to test in the lower leagues I’d be grateful for any feedback.

Otherwise it should work well in general, and you should see some great high tempo attacking wing-play with your side always looking to win the game with this tactic.

Last edited:
I'm at the beginning of testing, and I have to say, it's the way I like it!

Tactic Update - v2.1

Tactic has now been updated slightly with goalkeeper distribution, and also the crossing type has been changed to "whipped" as I feel this complements the high tempo and use of a poacher well.

There is now a greater flexibility with distribution options available rather than focusing on distributing to the full-backs. This should promote a greater threat for counter-attacking from the keeper along with better game management. This should also be more helpful for playing in the lower leagues where the long kick is now an option.

You'll need to ensure your keeper has good decision making in his attributes.

---

Now had a chance to play a full season with it. Squad was very strong in depth, but compared to the previous version I've achieved my best points haul for the 442 and my best ever FM result winning 13-0 against Celtic.

Generally the defence is as solid as on the original, but with the more dangerous whipped balls into the box and greater counter-attacking distribution options for the keeper, as I had hoped it has resulted in more goals.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
looks interesting. also my favorite team when the played some fun football :D do you mean for the assistant manager to take the oi's or none at all? :)

Last edited:
looks interesting. also my favorite team when the played some fun football :D do you mean for the assistant manager to take the oi's or none at all? :)

Yeps, I let the Assistant handle them too lazy to change for each game...although if you want to pay real attention to detail when playing against teams with inside forwards you should ask your full-backs to show them onto their weaker foot.

Last edited:
Really good tactic this, I played more of a box to box player in the AP role, although still with decent passing, and it seemed to work well. I found that if the AP has good long shots they'll score a lot of screamers.

Really good tactic this, I played more of a box to box player in the AP role, although still with decent passing, and it seemed to work well. I found that if the AP has good long shots they'll score a lot of screamers.

Glad it's working for you. Yeah it would make sense a B2B midfielder could work with this as well given a DLF on support is in play. I just always envisioned Scholesy as more of a playmaker directing the play which is why I went with that.

CM change to BBM?

Glad it's working for you. Yeah it would make sense a B2B midfielder could work with this as well given a DLF on support is in play. I just always envisioned Scholesy as more of a playmaker directing the play which is why I went with that.

do you have any training regimens to download?

CM change to BBM?

No I didn't change the role, I just played a more B2B player (Radja Nainggolan) than a playmaker.

I really liked the AP-S role with the hold position selected.

do you have any training regimens to download?

I only play on FM Touch, so none I'm afraid. I would just always ensure to make sure to train any weak attributes that are required for the particular role the player is playing in.

No I didn't change the role, I just played a more B2B player (Radja Nainggolan) than a playmaker.

I really liked the AP-S role with the hold position selected.

Sorry gotcha :)