gm433-iwb-19.3.4-att / Attacking and Probing Possession football

Tactic Download -
View attachment 11869

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

433 - Attacking but Probing Football

Keeping to a triangular structure formation and my principles, I’ve made a system using the popular 433.

This time, although aiming to play a game based on possession I’ll be using the attacking mentality. There doesn’t seem to be many attacking mentality tactics based around high possession and the mentality seems to be by some considerable margin the best one in this year’s version. I’m curious to see how this plays out.

So far I’ve used positive mentalities with roles producing a structured shape. This 433 ends up being classified as fluid.

Vision

I tend to like using two distinct playmakers to help with controlling the game. Given I’m now using the attacking mentality there is less of a need. My primary playmaker will be the DLP (D) set with the task of controlling the tempo of the game and our direction of attacks.

However to try and play a high possession game I’ll also be using the False 9 who will act like a second playmaker.

Everyone else’s roles are picked to having our approach play to run like a well oiled machine, looking to continually overload and exploit the half spaces whilst switching the play across both sides of the pitch, to try and bring about that probing effect you see under the positive mentality designed to really examine all areas of the opponents back-line.

False 9 / Second Playmaker

And at the same time, with a False 9 up top acting as our second playmaker, he’ll always cause defences confusion bringing danger from his passing and vision. With two Wingers (Att) and two Mezzala’s (Sup), both bombing forward frequently, it gives us four offensive runners from deep.

Alternatively the F9 has many simple options deeper if maintaining possession to recycle the ball back and launch another attack directed to another area of the opponents defence.

We should have a good variety of attacking options with the F9 as focal point, that along with the continual overloads that will occur in the half-spaces and Mezzala’s regularly looking to bomb forward on a regular basis.

Underlap / Through the Middle

This leads to our playing style of working the half-spaces, which utilises two Mezzala’s on support duty and two IWB’s also on support to provide cover in midfield for when the Mezzala’s venture forward.

The IWBs will also pose a distance from threat every so often as they’ll be well positioned to have a strike especially where teams scramble to keep our overloads, forward runs and our F9 at bay.

To create these offensive patterns, the Wingers (Att) don’t by default have a holdup the ball option. So selecting the underlap options whilst also playing through the middle will ensure whilst our wingers stretch the play staying wide will not be too direct, thus promoting play to the middle of the pitch.

This will bring the creative Mezzala’s into play and also the numerous benefits of the False 9, to cause confusion to the opposing centre-backs for the Mezzala’s runs to exploit and also the ability to pick a pass to onrushing players.

High Pressing / Counter pressing / Orgnsation

I’ve always preferred more symmetrical formations, and I love the fact all my roles in this tactic double up. And so I hope this will bring about a real organisation in both pressing of the ball and our approach play towards the opponent’s goal.

With the Mezzala’s having the tendency to apply pressure further up the pitch, this really will suit this 433 system in trying to promote possession with both of them pressing the opponents in tandem.

Add to that the two wingers pressing both full-back’s high and our F9 positioning himself between the centre-backs, we should press very well up in their third of the pitch and as a result camp the opponents there for large parts.

So a very high line with very high line of engagement with counter-pressing are alll used, along with a Sweeper Keeper Attack used to help facilitate our offensive game and aggressively sweeping up balls over the top. Make sure to have a quick back-line when using this system too.

Weaknesses

-Long Ball over the top
-Gegenpressing teams
-Quality players needed for the system

Set Pieces

-Currently set for Mezzala (RCM / KDB in City Save)
-Short throw-ins and short played corners for possession styled game
-Wingbacks take the throws

attachment.php

Results

City were the squad I chose to test this out on which spanned a few years to get it as I wanted. And with Liverpool the gegenpressing rivals bound to cause us problems it would keep things interesting.

We grabbed 102 points during the year. Didn’t score the most goals, but our defence was extremely good despite playing a very high line. I’m guessing the structured pressing we had in place with the roles contributed nicely to this. We scored 90 and conceded just the 13.

The two games we lost were away at Arsenal and Spurs both 1-0. We also won the ECL dispatching PSG in the final whilst creating 5 clear cut chances. So the system when playing against a more open side will definitely cause them problems.

The short corner routine also worked well this year with the players we had at hand, scoring the most from corners in the league.

I don’t recall a game where we had less possession than the opponents. Being on FM touch I can’t look at averages, but against teams that park the bus we could exceed over 65%+ which isn’t bad going on this mentality.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Favourite Moment!

I also had my finest fist punching moment in a game! Despite being weak against the Liverpool gegenpressing style, scoring two 90 plus minute goals to win the game at Anfield was an enjoyable experience – especially when at the time the title race was on.

attachment.php

Overview

I’ll always try to play attractive and possession based football irrespective of what works.

This attempts to again do just that but using the attacking mentality. However it also attempts to probe like in a positive/control mentality system. So I've tried my best to combine the two.

This mentality should suit the Mezzala’s whose roles really define the way the system plays.

Players need to be good technically, high individual skill and work-rate/stamina for the high-pressing that is needed.

Going forward you could go as far to say it plays like a 235 in attack, or as standard 460 given we have an F9 as our sole central striker.

You should get a good number of goals from your wingers and False 9, with Mezzala’s contributing well to the numbers and the IWBs chipping in every so often.

It’s not designed for lower teams, so don’t expect success there. But with the triangles shape this system naturally brings, you should get to see some great passing moves and intricate football along with nice goals for viewing.

Hope it works for you and that you’ll enjoy the style of football shown on the pitch.

Sorry for not mentioning - With opposition instructions I just hire an assistant with a degree of tactical ability to him aswell as motivation & man management skills, and as I only play FM Touch the training I select follows the attacking mentality of "Attacking" training.

Sorry for not mentioning - With opposition instructions I just hire an assistant with a degree of tactical ability to him aswell as motivation & man management skills, and as I only play FM Touch the training I select follows the attacking mentality of "Attacking" training.

So you have your manager set your opposition instructions?

So you have your manager set your opposition instructions?

Yes mate, time's a bit more limited nowadays which is why I now play FM Touch and let the assistant handle that side of things.

I switched to this tactic with like 6 games left at the end of the season. 4W and 2L, First L was an own goal from my GK lost 1-0 and then the other one I had 32 shots and they had 2 and I lost 1-0 :p but thats FM for ya haha. I just did a huge overhaul over the summer since I didnt have any natural wingers. Preseason has gone well im about to start my new season! Excited to have a full preseason down to get this tactic implemented to my players. It plays lovely football! Reminds me of a Pep style of play, Ill post results when I get to the first international break tonight

Glad you like the style mate. All my systems are designed to play aesthetically rather than to beat the game.

But thats where I guess you'll always need the cream of the crop to play these systems, as FM will simply punish you if you don't have the personnel. Just have to look at Pep in his first year at City.

What team are you managing? Hope it goes well!

attachment.php

Im managing Chelsea mate in 2024! So far off to a good start (H)